in the tomb

so what do you suppose went on in the tomb the 3days and nights ? i seriously doubt he was just resting . i have heard some say he presented the Blood sacrifice to the father.. Ephesians 4
8 Wherefore he saith, When he ascended up on high, he led captivity captive, and gave gifts unto men.

9 (Now that he ascended, what is it but that he also descended first into the lower parts of the earth?

10 He that descended is the same also that ascended up far above all heavens, that he might fill all things.) who was the captive and what was the lower parts of the earth ? questions questions questions then john Gospel the folded face napkin? meant what some suggest a sign he would be brb according to a jewish fable ..i heard this years ago attending a singing with the Issacs and teh mom full Jewish her parents died in the concretion camp . so there is a possibility but scripture does not say

so what do you suppose went on in the tomb the 3days and nights ?
I tend to believe that He...

1 Peter 3:19-20 ESV
in which he went and proclaimed to the spirits in prison, [20] because they formerly did not obey, when God's patience waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was being prepared, in which a few, that is, eight persons, were brought safely through water.

I tend to believe that He...

1 Peter 3:19-20 ESV
in which he went and proclaimed to the spirits in prison, [20] because they formerly did not obey, when God's patience waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was being prepared, in which a few, that is, eight persons, were brought safely through water.
this is a interesting verses lets discuss this jay Vernon McGee says he preached through Noah .not literally went .the spirits in prison who says is those who rejected Noah awaiting judgment while McGee is not the ultimate authority on the word. i do like him and for the most agree with him.. i am going to study on this see what others say.. weigh try the spirits so if the forum can get past the junk discussions and dig into the strong meat . i would be interested in others thoughts

I think that 1Peter 3:19-20 is referring to all people who died before Jesus came. He descended into Hades to give those people an opportunity to accept the gift of salvation. Job said he knew his redeemer lives and that he would see him with his own eyes, even though he dies yet shall he live again to see his redeemer.

so what do you suppose went on in the tomb the 3days and nights ? i seriously doubt he was just resting

this is a interesting verses lets discuss this jay Vernon McGee says he preached through Noah .not literally went .the spirits in prison who says is those who rejected Noah awaiting judgment while McGee is not the ultimate authority on the word. i do like him and for the most agree with him.. i am going to study on this see what others say.. weigh try the spirits so if the forum can get past the junk discussions and dig into the strong meat . i would be interested in others thoughts

Hello forgiven;

In John 5:25-29, 25 “Truly, truly, I say to you, an hour is coming, and is now here, when the dead will hear the voice of the Son of God, and those who hear will live. 26 For as the Father has life in himself, so he has granted the Son also to have life in himself. 27 And he has given him authority to execute judgment, because he is the Son of Man. 28 Do not marvel at this, for an hour is coming when all who are in the tombs will hear his voice 29 and come out, those who have done good to the resurrection of life, and those who have done evil to the resurrection of judgment. - ESV

When Jesus lay in the tomb 3 days and nights He was visiting the spirits of those who had died. What John is saying is that our Lord Jesus, like the Father,
never stops working.

Jay Vernon McGee was introduced to me by two of my mentor deacons back in the 1990s though Dr. McGee passed away in 1988. I began listening to Thru The Bible on Christian Talk Radio and he still airs through syndication.

I still listen to him. He's a wonderful Bible teacher and doesn't get hung up on junk discussions as you suggested. But Dr. McGee did teach me in one episode about Christians who get into mindless pessimistic squabble taught me to listen as hard as it can be.

I was in my 30s when my deacons told me in time, the listening and movement of the Holy Spirit becomes a benefit in discerning the Christian individual and core of their issues. I believe Jesus is the master of this.

God bless you, forgiven, and thank you for sharing in the tomb.

Bob

I think that 1Peter 3:19-20 is referring to all people who died before Jesus came. He descended into Hades to give those people an opportunity to accept the gift of salvation. Job said he knew his redeemer lives and that he would see him with his own eyes, even though he dies yet shall he live again to see his redeemer.
Dave, would you allow me to give you another understanding.

If we consider that the “spirits” were people who were in Hades (Torments), but Peter is not saying Jesus made a special trip to Hades/hell to preach or proclaim anything.

Consider for a moment that Peter is giving "parenthetical" information about something Jesus had done previously in history, namely, that He had “in spirit” preached to the people of Noah’s day while they were still living on earth. Noah preached the coming judgment of God for 120 years and NO NE listened to him outside of his family.

That wicked generation heard the message, rejected it, perished in the flood, and are now in the Torments side of Hades for eternity.
The word "now" in 1 Peter 3:19 is provided for clarity in the Amplified Bible and the New American Standard Bibles of 1977 and 1995, and it contrasts with the “long ago” in the NIV.

According to this interpretation, Christ was in Noah (spiritually) when Noah preached to his doomed neighbors.

To better explain, here is a paraphrase of 1 Peter 3:18-20: ........
“Jesus was put to death in the flesh, but He was made alive in the Spirit (it was through this same Spirit that Jesus long ago preached to those who are right now in prison—those souls who disobeyed during the time of God’s great patience when Noah was building the ark).”

According to this view, Jesus preached spiritually to the people of Noah’s time, and He did this through the prophet Noah, in much the same way that God speaks through us today when we proclaim God’s Word.

In the discussion regarding Jesus’ activities in the three days between His death and resurrection.

Quoting Psalm 68:18, Paul says about Christ, in Ephesians 4:8 .......
“When he ascended on high, he took many captives”.

The ESV puts it that Christ “led a host of captives.”

It is my understanding here that Jesus gathered all the redeemed who were in the "paradise" side of Hades and took them to their permanent dwelling in heaven. That is, after securing their salvation on the cross, Jesus brought Abraham, David, Joshua, Daniel, the beggar Lazarus, the thief on the cross, and everyone else who had previously been justified by faith, and led them from Hades (the abode of the dead in general) to their new spiritual home.

Major, since you mentioned the ESV... here is how they translated these verses

1 Peter 3:18-20

English Standard Version

18 For Christ also suffered, once for sins, the righteous for the unrighteous, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh but made alive in the spirit, 19 in which he went and proclaimed to the spirits in prison, 20 because they formerly did not obey, when God's patience waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was being prepared, in which a few, that is, eight persons, were brought safely through water.

Verse 19 tells us that Jesus' spirit went and proclaimed to the spirits in prison. Verse 20 tells us who those spirits are and why they were in prison.

Major, since you mentioned the ESV... here is how they translated these verses

1 Peter 3:18-20​

English Standard Version​

18 For Christ also suffered, once for sins, the righteous for the unrighteous, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh but made alive in the spirit, 19 in which he went and proclaimed to the spirits in prison, 20 because they formerly did not obey, when God's patience waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was being prepared, in which a few, that is, eight persons, were brought safely through water.
Verse 19 tells us that Jesus' spirit went and proclaimed to the spirits in prison. Verse 20 tells us who those spirits are and why they were in prison.
The Bible tells us that “holy men of God spoke as they were moved by the Holy Spirit.” (2 Peter 1:21) and that “Noah, one of eight people, (was) a preacher of righteousness”. (2 Peter 2:5)

Thus 1 Peter 3:18-20 tells us this, that Jesus in His great mercy by the Holy Spirit spoke through Noah, in the days of Noah, while the ark was being prepared. Striving to redeem those humans in prison to sin, while the ark was being prepared.

Genesis 6:3........
And the Lord said, “My Spirit shall not strive with man forever, for he is indeed flesh; yet his days shall be one hundred and twenty years.”

I think it is important to see that In this verse, Peter continues by saying that those "spirits in prison" did not obey when God waited patiently. In Noah's days during the construction of the ark, God waited before saving Noah and His family from the flood.

Another view is that Jesus traveled in spirit form after His death and before His resurrection to proclaim something to those in Hades or hell who died before or during the flood. Those spirits in Torments had disobeyed the message of Jesus through Noah so IMO I have No idea why Jesus would go speak to them unless it was to say......"See, you should have listened to Noah, because here I am"!
That is a GOT CHA motivation.

To those who believe that view I would say...........Does that sound like something God would do???

i cant agree with the 2nd chance that imo would fall close to purgatory teaching

Jay Vernon McGee was introduced to me by two of my mentor deacons back in the 1990s though Dr. McGee passed away in 1988. I began listening to Thru The Bible on Christian Talk Radio and he still airs through syndication.

I still listen to him. He's a wonderful Bible teacher and doesn't get hung up on junk discussions as you suggested. But Dr. McGee did teach me in one episode about Christians who get into mindless pessimistic squabble taught me to listen as hard as it can be.
i have a full set of his commentaries a good friend gave me. i enjoy listening to jay Vernon. he is not afraid to call things out and he and you both are correct on mindless pessimistic squabble. this is why the Body of Christ is not as unified as it us to be,,,, we allow our junk doctrines to separate us. tonight we are holding good Friday services at a general Baptist Church with a missionary Baptist pastor preaching he preaches the word and that is what Christ prayed for in john 17. back to our regular scheduled discussion

It is my understanding here that Jesus gathered all the redeemed who were in the "paradise" side of Hades and took them to their permanent dwelling in heaven. That is, after securing their salvation on the cross, Jesus brought Abraham, David, Joshua, Daniel, the beggar Lazarus, the thief on the cross, and everyone else who had previously been justified by faith, and led them from Hades (the abode of the dead in general) to their new spiritual home.
interesting i will say the above lines up for the most in Got questions and jay Vernon

i like this quote in another source i use .....>The bottom line is that we are not entirely sure what this passage is about, and that's okay. As Martin Luther put it in his Commentary on Peter & Jude, "A wonderful text is this, and a more obscure passage perhaps than any other in the New Testament, so that I do not know for a certainty just what Peter means." It is fascinating to study the various explanations offered by Bible scholars, but none of them changes the essential truth that Christ was dead and then made alive, that He suffered for our sake and was then made victorious forever by the power of God.

i love honesty

i cant agree with the 2nd chance that imo would fall close to purgatory teaching
Adam died in his sin, does this mean that because he died before Jesus became sin for us that he is unable to go to heaven through the gift of salvation to ALL men? All have sinned, Jesus died to remove sin from whoever will believe in him, but, how could earlier people believe in someone who had not yet come? Please understand that I am trying to see other points of view and not trying to be stubborn.

Adam died in his sin, does this mean that because he died before Jesus became sin for us that he is unable to go to heaven through the gift of salvation to ALL men? All have sinned, Jesus died to remove sin from whoever will believe in him, but, how could earlier people believe in someone who had not yet come? Please understand that I am trying to see other points of view and not trying to be stubborn.
Excellent question.

As with other topics, the Bible does not clearly mention whether Adam and Eve repented, but some Scriptures do imply that.

The Lord Jesus did in fact "cover" their sin with animal skins implying the blood was shed for them.

Then Genesis 3:15 "implies" that their eternal home was heaven.

So I just read an interesting piece on this scripture (1 Peter 3:18-20). It suggests that the spirits in prison are not people but rather demons. The demons tried to corrupt mankind before the flood ( God saved 8 people) they thought they had won when they crucified Christ Jesus but he "proclaimed to them (spirits) that he is alive and that the victory is His."

i dont fully understand o.t salvation but we have to remember with adam and eve after they ate the forbidden fruit . some things happened 1. there eyes was opened they realized they was naked.. imo conviction a step in salvation . they did what they could to cover up. they hid from the presence of God shame conviction ...

Godly sorrow bring repentance .. shorten forgiven 3:16 version God held court each of the party played the Blame game eve the devil made me do it. adam the woman gave it to me. in the Long run after court is over . God made a sacrifice of animals to take the skins to cover up their nakedness'. the first shedding of Blood for the remission of sins king David had to repent. ia m not real good at types and shadows . but all this points towards redemption. ( I HAVE NO ISSUE WITH YOUR POINT. } other than i dont agree nothing more nothing less .

my understanding the o.t saints had to look towards the finished works of the cross by faith. today by faith we look back at the finished works of the cross IT IS FINISHED and thank God it is today we can have victory in Jesus

THE REASON I STARTED THE POST WAS TO READ WHAT OTHERS HAD TO SAY. excuse caps lol didnt notice they was on.. i know its suppose to represent yelling. i only yell if upset or need get someone's attention and neither of the 2 is warrantied . i always research i use the net i use books sometimes i use the forum provided others are willing to discuss . the cross of Christ paid the debt . the resurrection of Christ makes it possible to have a new life the cross should put us in our place as we have nothing to brag/ boast about but what Christ done for us.

the Holy spirit is in us if were saved o.t the spirit had to come up on them ..

So I just read an interesting piece on this scripture (1 Peter 3:18-20). It suggests that the spirits in prison are not people but rather demons. The demons tried to corrupt mankind before the flood ( God saved 8 people) they thought they had won when they crucified Christ Jesus but he "proclaimed to them (spirits) that he is alive and that the victory is His."
That is one view. Basically there are three.

First is the one you just mentioned.

The second opinion is human beings.

The third is fallen angels. Commentators point to the following verses.

"And the angels who did not stay within their own position of authority, but left their proper dwelling, he has kept in eternal chains under gloomy darkness until the judgment of the great day- (Jude 6)

"For if God did not spare angels when they sinned, but cast them into hell and committed them to chains of gloomy darkness to be kept until the judgment; (2 Pet. 2:4)

Back