Is Getting Baptised Needed?

In the past, there wasn't so much of a problem. We were all aware this was a forum for discussion and recognized our differences. No one was offended by opposing perspectives. If someone said something that contradicted the other, he would defend it and explain why, but it was never done spitefully. In fact, most everyone got along pretty well.

I never came here with an agenda. I am not here to shove Catholicism down anyone's throats. That said, I won't cover my faith and pretend it doesn't exist. If this was a forum made up of 98% Catholics and someone said something against Protestantism, I suspect you would stand your ground and defend it because it is your faith -- and you'd be right to do it too. But it would be unfair to call you out as having an agenda just because you defended it.

A few times already, people have pointed out my Catholic faith and tried to make a claim that was off subject -- I said not that was not the point and we needed stick to the subject. I would never do that if I did indeed have an agenda -- I would have taken the bait and went on.

And yes, of course I seek goodwill -- what else would you suggest? I didn't come to make enemies or give anyone a bad day. I think discussion, understanding each others' differences, and finding each others' commonalities is a very good thing. Coming from a Protestant family (with the exception of me), having mostly Protestant friends, and working in a Protestant and Catholic organization, having the discussion between two groups is something I've been passionate about for quite awhile.

It's noted that I'm not welcome with you. I won't address anything you say because, in all honesty, I feel as though I'm walking on eggshells with you. But the last thing I want to do is make an enemy. Hopefully we can reach a common ground, which is ultimately our love for God.

It would not be right for a brother Christian who believes there was one in their mist who has Biblical error to not point that out. It would be the same thing as seeing a fallen person along side of the road and just passes them by without offering help. Even if that person was not looking for help. What good are we if we just let things slide by? Do we think God will over look our inactions to let that person continue along their way without giving them what they needed? If we really pulled off the blanket completely and exposed all of the Catholic beliefs system you would for sure have a very hard time defending it here.

In the past, there wasn't so much of a problem. We were all aware this was a forum for discussion and recognized our differences. No one was offended by opposing perspectives. If someone said something that contradicted the other, he would defend it and explain why, but it was never done spitefully. In fact, most everyone got along pretty well.

I never came here with an agenda. I am not here to shove Catholicism down anyone's throats. That said, I won't cover my faith and pretend it doesn't exist. If this was a forum made up of 98% Catholics and someone said something against Protestantism, I suspect you would stand your ground and defend it because it is your faith -- and you'd be right to do it too. But it would be unfair to call you out as having an agenda just because you defended it.

A few times already, people have pointed out my Catholic faith and tried to make a claim that was off subject -- I said not that was not the point and we needed stick to the subject. I would never do that if I did indeed have an agenda -- I would have taken the bait and went on.

And yes, of course I seek goodwill -- what else would you suggest? I didn't come to make enemies or give anyone a bad day. I think discussion, understanding each others' differences, and finding each others' commonalities is a very good thing. Coming from a Protestant family (with the exception of me), having mostly Protestant friends, and working in a Protestant and Catholic organization, having the discussion between two groups is something I've been passionate about for quite awhile.

It's noted that I'm not welcome with you. I won't address anything you say because, in all honesty, I feel as though I'm walking on eggshells with you. But the last thing I want to do is make an enemy. Hopefully we can reach a common ground, which is ultimately our love for God.
Well the fact is, that there was no great conflict on this site about this issue (to my knowledge) until you made it an issue.

It would not be right for a brother Christian who believes there was one in their mist who has Biblical error to not point that out. It would be the same thing as seeing a fallen person along side of the road and just passes them by without offering help. Even if that person was not looking for help. What good are we if we just let things slide by? Do we think God will over look our inactions and let that person continue along their way without giving them what they needed? If we really pulled off the blanket completely and exposed all of the Catholic beliefs system you would for sure have a very hard time defending it here.

I think that's the heart of the discussion -- the hope that one will have an understanding that they could be in the fullness of God.

But in response to that second part of your statement, and I don't mean this facetiously, if you saw the truth of Catholicism, not what is sensational or what you only grew up with being the bare minimum, you'd understand. It takes a lot of time to be able to see it as Protestants because we don't want to offend God -- it's the last thing we want. I haven't abandoned my Christianity when I became a Catholic. I've become even more of a Bible Christian and an Evangelical than ever before. I've taken what I was and went on with it.

I don't say this in trying to expose anything or anyone.

Well the fact is, that there was no great conflict on this site about this issue (to my knowledge) until you made it an issue.

If you'd like, we can let it go and move forward. I don't see the point in doing anything if it can't be done in charity. That's why I had to apologize earlier -- I stand by everything I said, but the motive behind a few posts were out of frustration, not love.

I do not think you are here by accident. I can see the Lord bringing you here so you can examine yourself to see if you really are in the faith, even if you do not see it that way.

I agree completely. I do not support, uphold or defend any of these people or their actions.
"So-called church" is a cheap shot, unworthy of you. Please try to uphold a standard of decency in these conversations.
I'm old school. From my point of view, all these child molesters should be taken out and shot.
But the faint of heart in the crowd don't go for such harsh justice.

What did Our Lord say? something about millstones and the sea?

Amen! Load, lock.....Fire.

I accept the personal faith of many, I do not and cannot accept that some groups represent "the" faith...if that makes sense? On an individual level and according to the personal faith of some, I can have fellowship and accept the sincere desires that I see to be pleasing to God. When that is framed within a system that I cannot approve, then that's when issues seem to come about for me. Like my brother Major and I agree on many very important issues, but if either of us demand that the other accept the traditions we cannot accept, it would cause a great conflict between us. I don't see Major as a S. Baptist etc... I see him as a brother and in that context we can have fellowship even with our differences

I accept the personal faith of many, I do not and cannot accept that some groups represent "the" faith...if that makes sense? On an individual level and according to the personal faith of some, I can have fellowship and accept the sincere desires that I see to be pleasing to God. When that is framed within a system that I cannot approve, then that's when issues seem to come about for me. Like my brother Major and I agree on many very important issues, but if either of us demand that the other accept the traditions we cannot accept, it would cause a great conflict between us. I don't see Major as a S. Baptist etc... I see him as a brother and in that context we can have fellowship even with our differences
I don't want you to feel as though I'm trying to force anything. Even if I wanted to force something, I wouldn't know where to begin.

Though we do share the same faith in Christ, that He is the only way to salvation. We are both Christians.

My dear friend, I do not believe we have many differences. If we do, I have not seen them and actually discounted them as trivial and non-essential.

No where in the bible does it say in order to be saved you must be baptized. However we are told to do it. We should want to obey. Jesus got dunked.

Back