Is It A Sin To Not Believe In The Trinity Or That Jesus Is God?

Sorry, it looks as though some of what you posted has been included as being from me. Hopefully Rumely or some other kind hearted Mod will insert the quote code for us....my 25 minute edit window has expired:mad:

I think it helps to keep in mind that Jesus did not begin 2000 years ago. He spent 33 years incarnated in flesh for His earthly ministry, but He existed from "the beginning" with the One whom we know as the Father. The Holy Spirit also did not just appear 2000 years ago at Pentecost, He was present and working from the beginning as well. The word "trinity" does not appear in the Bible, any more than a whole dictionary of words we use to describe various theological concepts. It is a word used to refer to a difficult- to- define concept of a unity - one God - comprised of three distinct persons. That's all the term is. I don't find the use of the term any more sinister than the fact that we use one word, "love", to translate several different Greek words. And really, if you ask several different people to define what they mean by "trinity", you will get several somewhat different answers as to how they are one, but not the same.

Perhaps a chemistry example would be helpful. Methanol is comprised of carbon, hydrogen, and oxygen. A methanol molecule has distinct properties as a result of its configuration of atoms. If you take away the oxygen molecule, you no longer have methanol, you have methane, which is a molecule with different properties. Take away the hydrogen, and you have carbon monoxide, which is different from both methane and methanol. So, for methanol to be methanol and not something else, it must have three types of atoms bonded to each other. Each of those atoms by itself has different properties than the other two. Try breathing carbon or hydrogen, if you have any doubts.

Rumely said :
Try breathing carbon or hydrogen, if you have any doubts.
thanks, but no thanks.:)
Trouble is Carbon, Hydrogen and Oxygen are uniquely different. They function differently in various hydrocarbon molecules of which methanol is just one of several.
We are admonished to not use created things to represent the Lord our God, so great care needs to be exercised when trying to use natural things to explain the creator, lest we generate a false picture.
That said........Carbon has two allotropic forms...Graphite and Diamond. All three are one and the same Atom, but differ in crystal structure.

Actually Rumely, you sucked me in....just occurred to me that Methane is a hydrocarbon (CH4) not a carbohydrate. ie no Oxygen atom. I guess that just reinforces the need for ultra extreme care when using created things to describe the creator.

Actually, it goes to my point that Carbon, Hydrogen, and Oxygen atoms are uniquely different, as we might also say of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. Yet each atom is made from the same subatomic particles (same in substance) and together they form a molecule with unique properties. Ooooh, this analogy just keeps gettin' better. My intent is not to reduce God to "wood and stone", as it were, but to demonstrate that there are observable, graspable concepts which help us to see that the idea of a Trinity or a Godhead is not completely unfathomable. As an analogy, I like it better than any I have heard to date. But, as with all analogies, it is not a comprehensive description, only a means of helping us to better understand certain concepts.

You point out the problem of carrying an analogy too far. I agree that you get substances with different properties and behavior if you start changing the number and orientation of the O, C, and H. So, yes, my illustration is open to criticism, but I think that within the limits of the scope of its application, it is a useful one.

Now I kinda wish I had taken more chemistry back in the day. It's really a fascinating subject in itself.

I like how a Jewish site I came across said how God is so immense and powerful that He is beyond our human ability to accurately describe Him. But, I feel, the Trinity most accurately describes Him in human words. Of course these words are so absolutely inadequate. I can only imagine an amoeba trying to describe to another single-celled lifeform, the complexities of a Blue Whale. How much more difficult for a human to describe the Creator of all that ever was or will be?
It takes a certain amount of humility to accept the idea of the Trinity. I think some people can't accept it because of their pride and arrogance. They feel if they can't understand it then it just couldn't be so. God simply must fit into their little realm of understanding, never considering they may just not be able to comprehend all that God is. Nor ever considering that the Trinity is about the best we can do to describe the nature of our God.

I stand on simple facts, so please excuse me for being so bold as to give the simple truth of words.
Jesus is the only begotten son of God.

begotten

Begotten means something created something else or someone fathered a child. (verb)
Do I feel like I am part of the Anti-Christ because I think and seek the truth about things and not cringe to the overwhelming powers of more dominate men's interpretations, traditions or whatever of the Gospel of Jesus Christ? Of course not, followers of Christ are suppose to be brave and even give their lives to Jesus' Gospel, and so, for the truth. They are called children of light. Why should anyone who has faith in Jesus also supplement their faith by accepting man's interpretations, traditions, add-ons, their approach to truth, ...........
It may be better to just give a short piece from my post http://www.christianforums.com/t7593672-7/#post62414897
Their approach to truth?

We have the teachings and commands of Christ and his sent Holy Spirit (our universal core Faith in Jesus Christ). We have what is sufficient according to scripture, except for one thing very important and that is our fellowship & prayer with each other. That is why I separate as to the above of what we have from the whatever title you give it (traditions, approach to truth, add-ons, enhancements or interpretations). We all have Jesus' words and they are preserved for us, pretty much as they were written. What comes after that through churches or their establishments or religious leaders or false prophets or whatever is not our one core Faith. This being true is how we can keep Jesus' commandment of being known by our love for our brethren and for one another. We get the right to obey Jesus and this right trumps all else. I can go to any church and should find people following Christ (the core Faith). I can have fellowship with them and love them. I can obey Jesus. The churches being led by their doctrines could try to stop such, but why would they, surely they don't intent to teach us to be disobedient towards Christ's great commandment to be known by our love for one another would they? Do you see my point in our individual responsibility to obey Jesus over any person or religious establishment? We need to stay focused on Christ to be found following him and obeying him as through what we know is simple and true (the core Faith of listening to and obeying Jesus, God's Word to us).
To go beyond Jesus and your faith in him is politely called enhancements by me to not offend others, but the real description isn't kind (and I have used it at times). Who can see a problem with accepting such things as Trinity? The biggest problem is that of Jesus and your faith in him is said to not be enough. If you, like me, are known to have rejected this theology, after carefully considering it through your own thorough research (for me, this was almost a year), then you, because of your not accepting this added requirement which is thought to be more superior than your just Jesus and your faith in him , are a heretic, blasphemer, Anti-Christ or no-good. Come on! How on Earth can you obey Jesus and love one another when something outside of the Gospel trumps Jesus' command to be known by your love for one another? I advise people to stay with Christ and not worry about these things outside of our Faith in Him. If adhering to Trinity causes you ill-will towards those of us who have sought out the truth of it, then maybe you need to check it out some more yourself or just obey Christ and go back to your core faith. I don't like to have discord. Paul handled discord by simply having fellowship with others by respecting their weaknesses, even to be weak with them (found in Romans chapter 14) . However, instead, I see a young Christian woman wanting answers and having to swallow what most in Christendom have had to, when all they want is a complete faith in Jesus. I was told about Trinity and was told to just accept it. I never just accepted Jesus. I felt that I knew him and loved God, my Father. I didn't know Trinity theology, how could I accept something that was said to be superior to my faith. I wanted answers and sought them sincerely for a long time. I was surprise at what I found (one example is Comma Johanneum or 1 John 5:7 which was never in the most ancient Gospel but "Erasmus promised that he would insert the Comma Johanneum, as it is called, in future editions if a single Greek manuscript could be found that contained the passage. At length such a copy was found— or made to order." (Bruce Metzger) ).

A believer in the truth has a difficult road to follow. I have no problem obeying and following Christ Jesus and knowing who my Father is, the very Father of Jesus Christ. There is a lot of evidence showing what Trinity is; if you have the courage to seek truth and not blindly be molded by the status quot. I never needed Trinity to believe in God or Christ or follow Jesus. Trumping your faith with it is never required to be saved or will it ever be. Why do you think faith is called things hoped for and believed in? We know faith, but we don't know Trinity, do we? I can accept Jesus as God's beloved son, to listen to and obey. I accept him as the only begotten son of God. What I have seen going on through Trinity (the add-on of our faith) isn't obeying Christ. I could never imagine being a part of it. (One horrifying example is plain to see what I am trying to say: read about Michael Servetus.) If anyone wants to get serious with their faith, I recommend them checking things out thoroughly for themselves or returning to their core faith. YOU MUST OBEY CHRIST AND BE KNOWN BY YOUR LOVE FOR ONE ANOTHER (for your brethren). I am sorry for offending others here, which I am sure that I have done. Just don't tell young or new Christians to choke on these things, being called required as to be a Christian! I am a simple man, but I am careful at what I accept. I thoroughly accepted Jesus and his Gospel. What plots coming down out of heavenly places to be amongst men as trumpeting our faith is not viewed lightly with me.
I will try to not bother people here anymore on this, just please obey Christ and so to be found as his. Don't let things divert you from obeying Jesus or fill you with worrying and having to obey man's interpretations, add-ons, enhancements, traditions, approach to truth or whatever.
The truths that Apostle Paul spoke of that we have in his writings made many people angry with him. Should they have been so? You read what he wrote and know that he was right. Reading his writings and that of the other Apostles and disciples of Christ have led me in the way that I go. I can see a serious problem with accepting things outside of our core faith in Jesus Christ (his teachings & commands for us). Can you?
Have a good day and trust in God & Christ for all things.

Oh, by the way, here in America, an interesting man may be seeking to be President of the USA. His name is Ben Carson. One of the things that he believes in for all people is the power of truth, that is knowing the truth through reading and examining all things. He is quite upset with the PC police, as he calls them (politically correct police). I love this man and admire most of what I have heard so far. The PC police are over all things made by man, especially religions, even high-jacked ones (Christendom included). I hope to meet my hero, Ben Carson, one day. To do so in heaven is ok, but who knows, I may meet him here by chance. If he believes in Trinity, that is ok, who is perfect? Praise our God forever and always.

First John Chapter 5:7

1 John 5:7

King James Version (KJV)

7 For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one.

I seem to have been high-jacked in my previous post above. I don't blame people of power of yielding it, but you really aren't playing very fair. Please allow me to post this post. Don't try to hide the simple truth. Darkness can never overcome light.

Let me ask a very hard question for everyone here. Do you have idols or are you obeying Christ? Another way of saying this is do you fear God and are you obeying Christ Jesus?

The deeper that I have gone into discussions on things like Trinity, the bolder I seem to become. I find myself to be less, but my heart is bolder still. It is as though, people are exposing themselves to the truth. That isn't well with them, but it is better than doing nothing. Why am I so caught up in this, when I want only peace and brotherhood, obeying the Gospel of Jesus? I fear God and so I speak. Are you also?

Idols are things outside of your faith (our faith: the teachings and commands of Jesus Christ). I have had my share of idols. You cleave to these, but so doing, you find yourselves in disobedience to Jesus' commands and teachings; and at odds with truth itself. I don't like going in the direction of questioning Christendom's non-core belief of Trinity (nothing trumps the faith that Christ gives us by his commands and teachings, to obey him), yet you must see problems in drifting away from Jesus. I advise people to ask God the questions of their hearts and read, study and pray, for he always answers our seemingly impossible questions.

Please remember that the majority never over-rules God, but his Will and truth stands. Accepting something like Trinity by a majority doesn't make it anymore than it is; a feeble attempt to make consistency what appears as inconsistencies in the Bible. Being awed and amazed at God and his son is suffice. We shouldn't be adding more to the Gospel and putting the awful burden of confusion and utter nonsense over the completeness of our faith in listening to, obeying and following Jesus Christ. I don't mind people of hating me, just obey Jesus and accept each other in your core faith, so as to be found by Christ to be his and obeying the will of God that he has told us, "to be known by your love for one another."

I am beginning to sound like a repeating record player. Sorry. Well, you know where I stand and that is enough.

I remember what Jesus said about:

Matthew 7:16-17

King James Version (KJV)

16 Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles?
17 Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit.

From our Christian history evil things came from Trinity supporters against Christians who did not believe. Trinity believers were not able to follow Jesus because they were part of a system of disobedience and extreme cruelty. The big question is why be a part of something that really can not obey Jesus and idolizes something that tries to trump our core faith. In the New Testament, we are warned of the Anti-Christ attempts to teach that Jesus Christ did not come in the flesh (isn't that 100% only in the flesh, sorry to not believe in the confusing mathematics of the Liar "100% plus 100% is 100%" (yeah right!) (sounds more like 50% man and 50% God is 100% what). Please think a little. Reminds me of what Dr. Benjamin Carson said "that he won't be a member of the Democrats or Republicans if running for our Presidency". He would only be an Independent. However, if there was a party called the Logic Party, he would join it. Anybody wants to join God's party of Logic ?!

I am always mystified by computers and their constant complex arrays, happenings and mishaps. Is the tool too complex for its users? Pretty soon, the tool will be us for a new creation to come. Better be thinking now while it still is permitted and while we are still able. When we are just tools, we do as we are suppose to period.

In the end times, Love will have grown cold. If we are able to think and use logic, instead of just following the music and its leader, we may also hear Jesus and love one another. Jesus used parables to get his smart ones to think. Better keep smart or become so. Courage and bravery with brains is important to Christ.

So you don't believe in the concept of a Trinity because the math doesn't add up? Because you can't put in mathematical terms the idea of a being being two beings at once? Because you can't reconcile it by human formulas?

I am sure there are those who have used the doctrine of the Trinity as a litmus test and have persecuted people on that basis, just as there have been many others in history who have persecuted others based on a difference in politics, philosophy, economic standing, race, color, and the list goes on. If there have been Trinitarians that persecuted others, I suspect the root of their persecution was not in their belief in Trinity, but their own human prejudices and self interest. None of the Trinitarians I know are interested in persecuting someone who doesn't believe in the Trinity. My experience with Trinitarians (and my own, since I am one) is that the concept of Trinity is our best attempt to understand what the Scriptures tell us about Who God is and how the the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit relate to one another, recognizing that that or any other human understanding of God is necessarily limited. Nothing sinister here, no ulterior motives. If we "push" the idea of Trinity, it is out of the same desire to lead people into what we believe is truth as you have for what you believe is truth.

I have a question.

If Jesus is God, why does he not return to heaven as God? Why does he sit at the right hand of Him?

Acts 7 (KJV)
55 But he, being full of the Holy Ghost, looked up stedfastly into heaven, and saw the glory of God, and Jesus standing on the right hand of God,
56 And said, Behold, I see the heavens opened, and the Son of man standing on the right hand of God.

Back