Is Jesus truly omniscient?

So can we then conclude that Jesus was God in the flesh that walked on the earth without His own powers, but instead walked in the power of the Holy Spirit?

Yes that is my thinking and understanding. And the very reason why we can be more like Him then a lot of people think :)

Here is what it says in the Amplified....
Who although being essentially one with God and in the form of God (possessing thr fullness of the atributes which make God, God), did not think this equality with God ww a thing to be eagerly grasped or retained. 7) but stripped Himself [of all privileges and rightful dignity], so as to assume the guise of a servant (slave), in that He became like men and was born a human being.

Wow.....
Yah, I read the amplified version too.

If this is the case then what about John 10:18 and John 5:26? Here Jesus is saying He has the authority/power to lay down His life and to take it back up again. He also says that He has life in Himself.

Because Jesus being that He had God's dna and was from God.....had to believe to die just like we have to believe to go to heaven. No one could kill Him, He had to obediently and willingly give up His life to redeem us

If this is the case then what about John 10:18 and John 5:26? Here Jesus is saying He has the authority/power to lay down His life and to take it back up again. He also says that He has life in Himself.

The life in Himself was because He knew that He was the only way to restoration with the Father. The only way to eternal life...no man comes to the Father except by Him.

Because Jesus being that He had God's dna and was from God.....had to believe to die just like we have to believe to go to heaven. No one could kill Him, He had to obediently and willingly give up His life to redeem us
But doesn't these verses prove that he retained some of His powers as He walked as a man on the earth?

What version is this?

Thanks for writing this all out! This is where i thought it was.
New Living Translation (NLT)
I have been using this more and more to get a better handle on obscure KJV english. KJV is still my authoritative source, but I often need help translating it to my language level.:confused:

New Living Translation (NLT)
I have been using this more and more to get a better handle on obscure KJV english. KJV is still my authoritative source, but I often need help translating it to my language level.:confused:

Yes i am the same way. Especially when i first wake up....and the coffee has not sunk in yet :)

But doesn't these verses prove that he retained some of His powers as He walked as a man on the earth?

Only the power of the Holy spirit and the lack of sin in His being. The lack of sin made the Spirit in control over the flesh....with us we have to fight to get the flesh to submit to the Spirit.

I think a problem here may be equating godly powers with god-hood. Omniscience, Omnipotence, Omnipresence, etc are attributes associated with being God, but while those are attributes of god, god-hood should not be defined as having those attributes. Jesus's divinity is not based on these attributes. His divinity is his one-ness with the Father. His sharing the eternalness and holiness with the Father and the Spirit.

In the special case of God in the Flesh of Jesus, His one-ness with the Father and Spirit was not broken. Jesus was truly divine (eternal and holy, one with the other two Persons). He did not need supernatural powers to retain His God-hood.

Knowing this, we can approach considerations that would be unthinkable if the supernatural abilities had to be present at all times. Such considerations as Jesus's Godhood when he was a newborn (or even when He was in the womb). If we were to equate omniscience and omnipotence with godhood and require them to be at all times expressed in Jesus's being then it leads to some uncomfortable thoughts.

I have always found it interesting that Jesus lived into His 20's without doing miraculous healings and such. There is scripture to the effect that Jesus' brothers and extended family were not believing in His messiah-ship and were astonished by the reports of the miracles He had performed. Now His mother knew, but after His baptism.
In John chapter 2:11 This miraculous sign at Cana in Galilee was the first time Jesus revealed his glory. And his disciples believed in him.
Most think He was 29 or 30 at the time. So what was He doing all through His 20's? Carpentry? Obviously preparing for His ministry, but it makes you wonder.

If God died - Who raised them back to life ? Perhaps they were on a timer ?
[emoji14]
Jim, you are avoiding the question my friend. God the son died, and God raised Him back to life. I don't know if it was the Holy Spirit or the Father or even Jesus Himself that did it, but the scriptures do say that the Son has power to lay His life down and power to take it back up again.

I think a problem here may be equating godly powers with god-hood. Omniscience, Omnipotence, Omnipresence, etc are attributes associated with being God, but while those are attributes of god, god-hood should not be defined as having those attributes. Jesus's divinity is not based on these attributes. His divinity is his one-ness with the Father. His sharing the eternalness and holiness with the Father and the Spirit.

In the special case of God in the Flesh of Jesus, His one-ness with the Father and Spirit was not broken. Jesus was truly divine (eternal and holy, one with the other two Persons). He did not need supernatural powers to retain His God-hood.

Knowing this, we can approach considerations that would be unthinkable if the supernatural abilities had to be present at all times. Such considerations as Jesus's Godhood when he was a newborn (or even when He was in the womb). If we were to equate omniscience and omnipotence with godhood and require them to be at all times expressed in Jesus's being then it leads to some uncomfortable thoughts.
Ok, I can accept what you are saying here, but then it leads me to ask: how then did the fullness of the God head dwell bodily in Him if He was not in possession of all His godly powers? How can this be fullness if He didn't possess them? The only way I see to resolve this would be to say that Jesus did possess all of His godly powers but chose to use none of them while walking on the earth. It is like a man that possess great physical strength or fighting ability but chooses not to use it in a confrontation. In affect, it would put that man on equal footing as someone that did not possess these abilities.

Ok, I can accept what you are saying here, but then it leads me to ask: how then did the fullness of the God head dwell bodily in Him if He was not in possession of all His godly powers? How can this be fullness if He didn't possess them? The only way I see to resolve this would be to say that Jesus did possess all of His godly powers but chose to use none of them while walking on the earth. It is like a man that possess great physical strength or fighting ability but chooses not to use it in a confrontation. In affect, it would put that man on equal footing as someone that did not possess these abilities.

For me it is a difference between a description and a definition.

Omni-powers describe some aspects of god-hood that separates God from His creation. That is not to say that god-hood is defined by those aspects, so the fullness of the God-head does not require Jesus to have those abilities at all times.

Jesus's essence as God is his Holiness and His One-ness with the Father and The Spirit.

Here, several posts has referred to God's DNA. We know that we are not really talking about physical deoxyribonucleic acid, but the essence that Jesus shares with the Father. (I was going to say 'derives' from the father, but that might be taken to imply that the Father had to exist before the Son).

The powers of the son may proceed from His essence as God, but his essence as God is not dependent upon those powers.

In my posts, I have tried to avoid stating flatly that Jesus did not have those powers available to Him, in His own right while He was on Earth. I truly don't wish to ponder that too closely (particularly in terms of his human development). To me, both his divinity (holiness, oneness, same essence as the other two) and His humanity are important. I really do not want to draw a fine line separating two natures (which I think would be a wrong way to approach Him).

As an aside: A few years ago, I was looking through my copy of Gray's Anatomy. I noticed a couple of places where my body, as I was born and developed do not match. Later medical procedures further changed me. If we take that book as description than I am just an uninteresting deviation. If you take it as defining human than I am not a human.

If you take the powers as descriptive of the god-hood, you are left with one view, but if you take those as defining god-hood, you are left with a very different view.

I have always found it interesting that Jesus lived into His 20's without doing miraculous healings and such. There is scripture to the effect that Jesus' brothers and extended family were not believing in His messiah-ship and were astonished by the reports of the miracles He had performed. Now His mother knew, but after His baptism.
Yes, and when he returned to his hometown they rejected him as just the carpenter's son. Seems like if they had been seeing him performing miracles the whole time he was growing up, they would have reacted differently.

With questons such as these one has to go back to the Word of God and make the truth of the Word our final authority. Because with the truth of the Word....there are no more questions, just truth.

But of that day and that hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels which are in heaven, neither the Son, but the Father. (Mark 13:32)
It is not 'God the Son's' to give. Just like the Holy Spirit is here teaching us about Jesus and not Himself John 16:13.

I think an acceptable correlation can be made to marriage. My wife and I are one, yet two. I give my daughter away at her wedding, not my wife. We are one parent union / spiritually one and yet physically two persons with different roles.

What helped me grasp the trinity better was meditating on the wording '''God the Son, God the Father and God the Holy Spirit''.

Last edited:
Reactions: Juk
Definitely agree with you. People touched Him and power left Him. He turned water in wine. He did not ask God the Father to turn water into wine.

In John chapter 2:11 This miraculous sign at Cana in Galilee was the first time Jesus revealed his glory. And his disciples believed in him.
Most think He was 29 or 30 at the time. So what was He doing all through His 20's? Carpentry? Obviously preparing for His ministry, but it makes you wonder.
What this tells me is that signs and wonders is NOTHING to God. God prefers NOT doing them. He only did them because He wanted all to believe without doubt that the human in front of them, about to die for them, was not just a human.

The miracle has always been getting someone to repent of their sins. This is what Jesus was doing from day one among all those around Him. Long before He chose 12 disciples.

Back