Is The Bible Questionable?

bobinfaith

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Hello brothers and sisters;

These last weeks there have been in my view, some great posts and discussion in the areas of our faith, doctrinal issues, Bible studies and reference to Biblical texts from scholars and authors.

One thing that stood out made me want to question for discussion. Do you believe the Bible is accurate, meaning that it's God breathed, that He anointed his servants in the Old and New Testaments to write the books?

Do you believe the scholars and authors are the authorities who confirm the credibility of the Books and Passages of the Bible?

For example, I stand in accord and follow Peter's teaching in 2 Timothy 3:16-17, 16 All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, 17 that the man of God may be complete, equipped for every good work.

For my own study, I trust and rely on the Written Word, especially when Jesus' Passages are in red, and then will use the Biblical text as a reference and support of the Bible. My reading is continuous and am always learning as well as being corrected.

Please let me know your thoughts. God bless you and your families.

These last weeks there have been in my view, some great posts and discussion in the areas of our faith, doctrinal issues, Bible studies and reference to Biblical texts from scholars and authors.

One thing that stood out made me want to question for discussion. Do you believe the Bible is accurate, meaning that it's God breathed, that He anointed his servants in the Old and New Testaments to write the books?

Do you believe the scholars and authors are the authorities who confirm the credibility of the Books and Passages of the Bible?

For example, I stand in accord and follow Peter's teaching in 2 Timothy 3:16-17, 16 All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, 17 that the man of God may be complete, equipped for every good work.

For my own study, I trust and rely on the Written Word, especially when Jesus' Passages are in red, and then will use the Biblical text as a reference and support of the Bible. My reading is continuous and am always learning as well as being corrected.

It is God breathed, although language translations cause some minor difficulties. You know, should there be a comma here or there?, or another word would be better used in place of that one. So I rely on KJV, NLT and sometimes go to the Strongs Concordance for a clearer understanding. One thing that drives me crazy is when too many pronouns get thrown around and you are not sure who "he" is referring to. Sometimes it is funny when Paul uses a word as an adverb that modifies the same word. Like: ,,,,making sin more sinful.
Overall though, the Bible is the handbook for life, and Life.

It is God breathed, although language translations cause some minor difficulties. You know, should there be a comma here or there?, or another word would be better used in place of that one. So I rely on KJV, NLT and sometimes go to the Strongs Concordance for a clearer understanding. One thing that drives me crazy is when too many pronouns get thrown around and you are not sure who "he" is referring to. Sometimes it is funny when Paul uses a word as an adverb that modifies the same word. Like: ,,,,making sin more sinful.
Overall though, the Bible is the handbook for life, and Life.
Context is key in regard to the pronouns.
As far as the commas and periods go, the original languages, Greek (and I believe) Hebrew, didn’t have punctuation marks.

YES.

The Lord Jesus Christ produced the written Word of God. ALL of it from Genesis to the Revelation. ALL of it is about Him and what He did and what He is going to do and His relationship with humanity which He created. We either accept that Bible fact or we remove Colossians 1:16 from the Bible altogether......
"For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him"

Now, since IMHO that is the Bible fact, we accept them as printed. IF...IF we reject that Scripture or change it then we are in effect calling God a liar. IF...IF.....God is a liar then He is a sinner and that means NO ONE IS SAVED from the judgment!!!!

One must always inspect the credentials of those who claim to be "Scholars" in order to determine if there is a hidden agenda.

My experience has shown me that almost everyone has a personal agenda. Some will come across as loving, kind, sweet and only to later find out that they believe killing puppies is acceptable. You have all seen that exact thing work out right here in front of you time and time again.

Right now, today...all over the land the Christian community and "scholars" are torn between believing that homosexuality is a disease or an acceptable "lifestyle" and individuals can be Christians and be a homosexual. THAT is the example of an AGENDA.

The written Word of God, the Bible condemns this practice as a sin and an abomination unto the Lord and the Bible also says that we are leave our KNOWN sin and come out of the world. Some, many "Scholars" so as to sell more books and get more attendance pander to both sides to make everyone happy.

They have completely forgotten that the only ONE that we can make happy is God!

We must always remember this.......when we question God and think we have a different opinion of what He said............
"WE ARE WRONG AND GOD IS RIGHT and we must change to HIS Word"!

Thanks for asking Bob.

Nope. The only thing that "Scholars", "Theologians", and "Authors" can create is religious confusion.

The Holy Spirit confirms His WORD with, or without our "help", and HE is the one Who gives WISDOM - when we seek it from Him single-mindedly.

The veracity of Scripture goes unquestioned by God's people because Scripture is self-authenticating to God’s Elect who are guided by its author, the Holy Spirit.

hmm

I believe what Paul wrote in Timothy

As for scholars, they can believe or not believe. Both types of scholars will find evidence to support their belief/disbelief either way.

For example, you'll have one palentologist pick up a dinosaur fossil and expound it as evidence that its for evolution. While another paleontologist will pick the same fossil and say it is evidence of the Biblical Flood.

You might find Biblical scholars discover the dead sea scrolls and say that's evidence of the Bible being accurate, whereas another might find similar aged manuscripts/scrolls that have missing pieces and say that those are evidence the Bible was made up.

Nope. The only thing that "Scholars", "Theologians", and "Authors" can create is religious confusion.

The Holy Spirit confirms His WORD with, or without our "help", and HE is the one Who gives WISDOM - when we seek it from Him single-mindedly.

I would have to say that that depends upon the person.

I have sat under some great christian scholars who TAUGHT and expounded upon the Scrip0tures and did not add their opinions.

I would have to say that that depends upon the person.

I have sat under some great christian scholars who TAUGHT and expounded upon the Scrip0tures and did not add their opinions.
As have I also.

Paul, however warned of FALSE TEACHERS, and FALSE PROPHETS being abroad in the visible church, which is already a mixture of "Wheat", and "Tares". Visible denominational church corporations are Examples of the religious confusion, and SPIRITUAL IGNORANCE that besets the visib;e church in the world today.

I can't wait to meet Ezra. He was one of the most used of God to put together the scriptures. His love for the word of God was so deep that he started the synagogues so that the people, who were mostly illiterate, could still hear the word of God throughout each week.

1 John 2:27 is one of my most favorite verses, where it is declared that Holy Spirit teaches us and reveals to us the truths of God's word, and will never teach us a lie. Whatever other squabbles people may have about our translations, well, they are moot where Holy Spirit is concerned. Even God's very existence and glorious power is revealed in nature itself, rendering all without excuse in the day of judgement (Rom. 1).

MM

Ezra is great inspiration. Wonderful example of 'Love hold no fear.' He had tremendous faith. Many people in God's word had those qualities. God mussthave loved them so much.
Have to admit I am working on the fear bit.

As have I also.

Paul, however warned of FALSE TEACHERS, and FALSE PROPHETS being abroad in the visible church, which is already a mixture of "Wheat", and "Tares". Visible denominational church corporations are Examples of the religious confusion, and SPIRITUAL IGNORANCE that besets the visib;e church in the world today.

Agreed and the perfect example is the denomination that has said that Christians should be rich and claim what they want from God and God must give it to them.

The Name it and Claim It theology along with the Prosperity Gospel has ruined millions of people.

I can't wait to meet Ezra. He was one of the most used of God to put together the scriptures. His love for the word of God was so deep that he started the synagogues so that the people, who were mostly illiterate, could still hear the word of God throughout each week.

1 John 2:27 is one of my most favorite verses, where it is declared that Holy Spirit teaches us and reveals to us the truths of God's word, and will never teach us a lie. Whatever other squabbles people may have about our translations, well, they are moot where Holy Spirit is concerned. Even God's very existence and glorious power is revealed in nature itself, rendering all without excuse in the day of judgement (Rom. 1).

MM

Agreed.

Ezra was the 1st to preach from a Pullpit!
Ezra was the one who started Bible School.
Ezra had his disciples placed among ALL the people to explain to them what he read from the Law.

ALL the people STOOD,,,,,,ALL DAY long and then they shouted AMEN!

Agreed and the perfect example is the denomination that has said that Christians should be rich and claim what they want from God and God must give it to them.

The Name it and Claim It theology along with the Prosperity Gospel has ruined millions of people.
Although when they find out that it DOESN'T WORK, as TOXIC WOF teaches it, then instead of finding out what the Bible SAYS about it (Heb 11:1, Rom 10:17, Mark 11:22-24), they throw the baby out with the bath water, and become cessationists.

Although when they find out that it DOESN'T WORK, as TOXIC WOF teaches it, then instead of finding out what the Bible SAYS about it (Heb 11:1, Rom 10:17, Mark 11:22-24), they throw the baby out with the bath water, and become cessationists.

Sometimes the baby is as bad as the water.

Cessationism would be a good thread. Why not start one????

Back