Lanolin's Library

Friend lent me the Hiding Place by Corrie Ten Boom for our pop up library but now she wants it back as a non Christian wants to read it.
Such a powerful testimony.

I'm sure there are others like it also where Christians are placed in prison and rely on God to break free.

I recommend Shanghai Faithful Betrayal and Faithfulness in a Chinese Christian Family by Jennifer Lin

Her grandparents brother in law was Watchman Nee.

It's about five generations of Chinese Christians and what they endured under Mao. After the 'Bamboo Curtain' lifted it became clear what the 'Cultural revolution' had done, in many ways, swept away all the old - but it meant the churches were no longer under foreign influence and could actually flourish without interference from the state - which was always Athiest. By flourish, not meaning huge buildings and people tithing to keep clergy fed and clothed in closed off mission compounds but in real chinese believers who kept faithful in their homes and fellowships, not under denominational hierarchies. They've learnt to keep state and church separate.

I find the history of christians in China fascinating. And its very interesting that, while there are now more Christians in china now than the US, those that broke away like in Taiwan or Hong Kong and were Nationalist, or under British rule were the ones that mostly kept their folk religions and superstitions. Even though the Nationalists were professing Christians, they too came under the corrupting influence of money and power.

Just tidied up the church library a bit. I might go look in the Christian bookstore for new books tomorrow. I bought a Tongan Children's Bible to put in my school library. It's more for the children to take home for their parents to read with them though. If they can't read they can just look at the pictures.

We have some DVDs in the church library, mostly the children's ones are Veggie Tales. I'm not sure if children still watch those, or what they watch nowadays.

I'll restock the church library with new books this year it's been a while. Hopefully the Christian bookstore still has some good titles. Please post if you think of any good ones or classics every church library ought to have.

I've got Quakerism the basics by Margery Post Abbott and Carl Abott to read.
Also a devotional called The Abundant Life by Solly Ozrovech

Now finally got round to reading Quakerism the basics

Am nearly finished. It had me thinking about church hierarchies and church 'business' which had always been a mystery to me, even 'church membership' . I figured if you want to really belong to a church you had to pay a membership fee or had a lot of money and income to tithe and then you get voting rights or whatever and a say on church boards.

In a sense then only rich/wealthy christians need apply...but then I've never really been asked to join a church because I am 'just a librarian' meaning I don't make a profit enough to support a church financially. I'm pretty much a servant, not a manager, and mostly get relegated to making cups of tea and perhaps cleaning the toilet or weeding the garden than making decisions on how much to spend on the toilet paper.

In that sense I cannot join in church politics on things like property management or what we can use the church building for or have any ideas that anyone is going to listen to if I'm part of a hierarchical church because...women actually really don't get a say! We get lip service a lot of the time but I have noticed many churches are still ultra traditional and that is why women have their own meetings in their own homes that people think 'oh its just a gossip session' and don't take seriously - when actually we are PRAYING but we just don't boast about it.

And this is where Quakerism can be incorporated into our worship and 'business' meetings.. to be still and take the time to listen to the still small voice of God rather than one man in a pulpit or by taking a majority vote or the person who speaks or sings the loudest or is the richest person in the room with the purse strings...

I don't read nearly as much as I once did. That's a shame. I keep telling myself to get back in the habit but there's almost always something "better" to do.

Recently I read several Bible commentaries by William Barclay. Those were quite fun and also illuminating. Now I am reading a book about Kuan Yin by John Blofeld. It's not everyone's cuppa tea but I find it interesting.

Still reading the Abundant Life devotional
I found Chasing the Dragon in manga format at the Christian bookshop..by Jackie Pullinger who also wrote Crack in the Wall. It's about her ministry in Hong Kong in the walled city which was like a drug den.

Link to church library...I must get on to it this week. I have been a bit slack...it's only a volunteer library but we don't have a budget for anything and it's kind of dropped a bit with Covid. Maybe pray we do have a budget and then I would spend it on really good new books.

22 books are out at the moment

As much as I like the idea, be careful about posting significant portions of copywrited material.

KJV is, I believe, public domain ( consult someone trained in law, particularly international copywrite law ). Short excerpts may be considered fair use, but the definition of short is a bit nebulous.

When I post from books, I try to provide proper attribution, as well as setting the material off from my own thoughts with font and color.
The copyright for the KJV belongs to the British Crown. It is renewed upon succession of each new monarch. That means it was recently renewed with the succession of King Charles III.

Back