Looking for some information on fellowship groups

Nothing. It is just that many people refuse to get near a church unless their nephew is playing the role of a sheep in the Christmas pageant! They claim they can get more out of a walk in the woods than from the typical sermon.

I just wonder how they will act in heaven when all we will do is go to church as the worship of the Lord Jesus will be a full time on going relationship. If they can not do it here on the earth, how will they do it in heaven?
It is unfortunate because these same people are missing the main point of gathering together as saints. Which is to edify each and stir each other up in love and good works. If you are going to church just for you then you are missing the point.

Klub, you might be confident in how the various churches you've experienced have operated, unfortunately your understanding still contradicts scripture, as I previously pointed out.
You condemn the way church gatherings are actually described in scripture, and yet fully support a false man made top down system.

1Cor14v26What is the outcome then, brethren? When you assemble, each one has a psalm, has a teaching, has a revelation, has a tongue, has an interpretation. Let all things be done for edification.27If anyone speaks in a tongue, it should be by two or at the most three, and each in turn, and one must interpret;…

Do you see that Paul's description shows everyone participating in the gathering, and each one ministering via the use of the "charismatic" gifts.
(I use the word charismatic only in the generic sense and not as a backing for any church movement.)
If you are ministering in church without using the gifts of the spirit, then that leaves you operating in the flesh! That's hardly a recipe for edifying the church of the Lord Jesus Christ is it?

Since you admitted to not attending a church, how would any information you give be acceptable to us. Since YOU do not go to church how can you possible make the statement of........
"If you are ministering in church without using the gifts of the spirit, then that leaves you operating in the flesh!"

The bottom line my friend is that YOU are not qualified to make such a determination as you by your own admission are no involved.

By the way, the Scripture you used in 1 Corth 14 is all about order in the church as I said originally and it speak specifically to the correct use of tongues in the church which forbid women from speaking in tongues in the church.

Since you admitted to not attending a church, how would any information you give be acceptable to us. Since YOU do not go to church how can you possible make the statement of........
"If you are ministering in church without using the gifts of the spirit, then that leaves you operating in the flesh!"

The bottom line my friend is that YOU are not qualified to make such a determination as you by your own admission are no involved.

By the way, the Scripture you used in 1 Corth 14 is all about order in the church as I said originally and it speak specifically to the correct use of tongues in the church which forbid women from speaking in tongues in the church.

Hilarious Major!
That's the daftest defense I have seen, claiming I am disqualified from challenging you because I don't attend church. Scripture is scripture, whether I am in church or not, and you are just avoiding the truth of what I said, now pasted below.

By rejecting that simple comment, I can only assume that you believe church can operate quite well without any gifting from the Holy Spirit?

Of course, I am sure it is true that countless churches get by quite well with no involvement from God at all!

Klub, you might be confident in how the various churches you've experienced have operated, unfortunately your understanding still contradicts scripture, as I previously pointed out.
You condemn the way church gatherings are actually described in scripture, and yet fully support a false man made top down system.

1Cor14v26What is the outcome then, brethren? When you assemble, each one has a psalm, has a teaching, has a revelation, has a tongue, has an interpretation. Let all things be done for edification.27If anyone speaks in a tongue, it should be by two or at the most three, and each in turn, and one must interpret;…

Do you see that Paul's description shows everyone participating in the gathering, and each one ministering via the use of the "charismatic" gifts.
(I use the word charismatic only in the generic sense and not as a backing for any church movement.)
If you are ministering in church without using the gifts of the spirit, then that leaves you operating in the flesh! That's hardly a recipe for edifying the church of the Lord Jesus Christ is it?
My apologies, just noticed that I addressed some previous comments to Klub when it should have been Major. Got mixed up between two threads.

If there is no holy spirit, that is no church just a religious club.
Also, people need to discern the false from the true. A church that keeps proclaiming they have the holy spirit, but downgrades Jesus, is also a false one. The holy spirit never points to Himself, and all the gifts, but to Jesus.

Ive heard of some churches using mothers day as a drawcard and saying come, get free gifts. Or come, get free coffee. I dont want coffee! I want true fellowship.
If wanted coffee, could just make it at home or go to a cafe and use those coffee cards.

Hilarious Major!
That's the daftest defense I have seen, claiming I am disqualified from challenging you because I don't attend church. Scripture is scripture, whether I am in church or not, and you are just avoiding the truth of what I said, now pasted below.

By rejecting that simple comment, I can only assume that you believe church can operate quite well without any gifting from the Holy Spirit?

Of course, I am sure it is true that countless churches get by quite well with no involvement from God at all!

The only person I see saying..........
By rejecting that simple comment, I can only assume that you believe church can operate quite well without any gifting from the Holy Spirit?:................. IS YOU !!!!!

I certainly have not and the others who have communicated to you have not. YOU are the only one to say such a thing. I personally do not know anyone who is a believer who would even think such a thing much less say it. Actually it is IMPOSSIBE to operate a church with out the leading Holy Spirit of God living in the hearts of believers and Him focusing the worship toward the Lord Jesus Christ. That friend is what a church is.

And YES......you may think it is funny but it is none the less true. IF YOU do not attend a church then by what measure do you find that your imput in that church is helpful or binding as to how it operates? It is just a no brainer IMO.

Also, people need to discern the false from the true. A church that keeps proclaiming they have the holy spirit, but downgrades Jesus, is also a false one. The holy spirit never points to Himself, and all the gifts, but to Jesus.

Ive heard of some churches using mothers day as a drawcard and saying come, get free gifts. Or come, get free coffee. I dont want coffee! I want true fellowship.
If wanted coffee, could just make it at home or go to a cafe and use those coffee cards.
Amen.
There certainly are many religious clubs out there. Every enticement is being offered by pastoral professionals skilled in keeping the troops entertained.

Sometimes a person doesn't realize that there is true fellowship available to them unless they receive an invitation, a free gift and/or a coffee. Our church had lovely cupcakes all boxed in pick boxes for every woman over 18, and a bouquet of flowers for every single mother who is a member with children under 16. We are fortunate to have a lovely Starbucks quality cafe, called Connections Cafe where people could treat their guests, or mothers to lunch!

Here we are:

If you a student OP then there might be student fellowships on campus you can belong to.
Fellow believers may then invite you to their families churches.

I know some churches put on lunches for hungry poor students ...to serve and show love to each other. It is not a church service where you have to listen to a sermon before you eat anything!

I remember one group would clean peoples flats for free.

With church just beware that you dont go to just any church like, unitarian church or unification church or church of scientology!a lot of these so called churches are really cults! They pick on students wanting a bit of religion in their lives and somewhere to belong.

Amen.
There certainly are many religious clubs out there. Every enticement is being offered by pastoral professionals skilled in keeping the troops entertained.

There is nothing unspiritual about having a joyous worship service. It is NOT a matter of keeping the troops entertained, but using the music and singing that raises the spirit toward God. Don't think that worshiping in this manner hinders the preacher from teaching the harder truths of Christian life, or from challenging the congregation and fostering growth.

There is a lot to be joyous about!

Truly, if one allows the Lord to lead him to a church of HIS choosing, mistakes like walking into a Scientology group or a Universalist group or something else just as bad won't happen.

There is nothing unspiritual about having a joyous worship service. It is NOT a matter of keeping the troops entertained, but using the music and singing that raises the spirit toward God. Don't think that worshiping in this manner hinders the preacher from teaching the harder truths of Christian life, or from challenging the congregation and fostering growth.

There is a lot to be joyous about!

AMEN! I'd like to add that when we worship with all our hearts and all our might, it pleases the Lord to be present among us. His presence is necessary!

I think just use discernment cos i knew some who were worship leaders in church and they were not right with God and actually approached it as entertainment, glorifying themselves instead of honoring our Lord.

They were sincere but a few were sincerely deceived.

Haha

"I remember one group would clean peoples flats for free."

They will close shop after cleaning the kids' room for the first time - we life in a flat.

Sometimes a person doesn't realize that there is true fellowship available to them unless they receive an invitation, a free gift and/or a coffee. Our church had lovely cupcakes all boxed in pick boxes for every woman over 18, and a bouquet of flowers for every single mother who is a member with children under 16. We are fortunate to have a lovely Starbucks quality cafe, called Connections Cafe where people could treat their guests, or mothers to lunch!

I initially thought, I better keep my mouth shut about our church.
We have something we call "kuier" after the Sunday morning service. Kuier is Afrikaans for the word visit, borrowed from that language. :)
The coffee/tea is free, but one can buy cakes, tarts, pies and even a boerie dog - similar to a hot dog, but chuck out the Vienna and replace it with another Afrikaner traditional thing called boerewors.
Then those who choose sit and chat and socialize and get to know each other and what happens in the lives of others.
Real cool institution for people to get closer, I would say.

Well, our morning teas are a bit secret but they are GOOD.

Actually my church puts on a free dinner for the whole community each Friday. Theres no sermon, just a bible reading and blessing. Its not just 'free coffee'! Or come buy our church merchandise. Im just thinking of a church I visited where they gave you one free coffee if you were new, you had to redeem it at their cafe, but after that, you had to pay full price.
Or the church that promoted all its latest CDs. That you had to buy or give 'love offering' to. They couldnt put it in a church library, cos they dont have one. Everything is for sale.

I kinda thought thats a bit odd, as most other churches offer you tea or coffee freely whether you are new or old, and most churches will let you just borrow their books.

That community Friday meal is a cool idea, but I think a lot depends on the economy and financial state of the area.
I really like the idea though since I have noticed in most local churches there are much in terms of people with dire financial situations, or just is that way here.
We can always do more to support those in our families.

Well, my friend started it as she noticed a lot of hungry homeless in our community.
All the food is donated, the local supermarkets donate and we cook it up. The dinner is open to everyone.

I dont know what churches in really rich areas do..i think maybe they have antique fairs.

To rich people, secondhand means antiques.
The rest of us go to the sallies. Lol. Volunteering in an op shop is also fun.

Back