Need help with Luke 23:43

John 17:4. I glorified you on earth, having accomplished the work that you gave me to do.
John 17:5. And now, Father, glorify me in your own presence with the glory that I had with you before the world existed.

I think 'now' means now not later, not tomorrow, not next year.
νῦν
Thayer Definition:
1) at this time, the present, now.

Heb 2:9. But we see him who for a little while was made lower than the angels, namely Jesus, crowned with glory and honor because of the suffering of death, so that by the grace of God he might taste death for everyone.

I think 'now' means now not later, not tomorrow, not next year.
νῦν
Thayer Definition:
1) at this time, the present, now.

Heb 2:9. But we see him who for a little while was made lower than the angels, namely Jesus, crowned with glory and honor because of the suffering of death, so that by the grace of God he might taste death for everyone.

Kind of like "ALL have sinned and come short............">

What does "ALL" mean?

Do you have scripture for this?
Ya know as I was thinking and praying in the spirit.... God led me to Matthew 12:40... and then reminded me that in John 20:17 Jesus said for Mary to not touch Him for He had not accended to the Father yet....but then in vs 19 which says it was the same day....Jesus appeared to them in Luke 24:39 He says to handle Him. So in the time between talking to Mary and apearing to the Disciples He must have accended to the Father, for if He had not then they could not touch Him.

God bless

Ya know as I was thinking and praying in the spirit.... God led me to Matthew 12:40... and then reminded me that in John 20:17 Jesus said for Mary to not touch Him for He had not accended to the Father yet....but then in vs 19 which says it was the same day....Jesus appeared to them in Luke 24:39 He says to handle Him. So in the time between talking to Mary and apearing to the Disciples He must have accended to the Father, for if He had not then they could not touch Him.

God bless
I do not know if this will help you, but the words "Touch me not" is literally in the Greek........"Do not hold on".

Apparently He did ascend to the Father as you correctly said that later He told the disciple that they should touch Him.

To me that is the reason why He said to Mary........"Do not hold on". He knew He was going to see the Father and Mary could not go.

Really good response Cturtle and I'd agree. When you look at death as the separation of Soul and body i.e the soul goes to Paradise and the body goes to the ground then it does clear up the question....

I fully agree with you except I believe that it is the spirit man that goes to heaven to wait for our glorified body.
God bless!

Ya know as I was thinking and praying in the spirit.... God led me to ... and then reminded me that in Jesus said for Mary to not touch Him for He had not accended to the Father yet....but then in vs 19 which says it was the same day....Jesus appeared to them in He says to handle Him. So in the time between talking to Mary and apearing to the Disciples He must have accended to the Father, for if He had not then they could not touch Him.

God bless
Interesting theory with His ascension. I disagree though. He ascended in Mark 16:19 after all His encounters with them. I think Mary was like a typical lady, just being too 'clingy' :giggle:. Euphemia is making an assumption that Jesus was with them for weeks before His ascension. There is no scripture for it. She may be right, but she needs to state it is an assumption.

Your line in post # 10 stands. God the Father was in heaven. He is spirit. God the son (as the word became flesh) was on the cross with the criminal.

Just thinking, this could also be a 'no time' in heaven statement. Today is yesterday and tomorrow in heaven.

Last edited:
Jesus ceased being a lamb to the slaughter with limited omniscience, omnipresence and omnipotence the moment He died on the cross.

He had victory over the devil after the cross. Not with His ascension. Jesus was not a prisoner in hell for three days and three nights. He was preaching to the captives there.

1 Pet 3:18-19 For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit: By which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison;

Without being quickened by the Spirit He would not have been able to preach to the spirits in prison. So if we are pedantic, He was omnipresent once more from that moment. I, however believe He was always omnipresent. But that is a discussion / headache for another thread.

Do you have scripture for this?

John 20:17
“Don’t cling to me,” Jesus said, “for I haven’t yet ascended to the Father. But go find my brothers and tell them, ‘I am ascending to my Father and your Father, to my God and your God.’”

God bless

Actually, Jesus didn't ascend to the Father for weeks. When Jesus said not to touch Him to Mary, He really said not to cling to Him, for He was no longer there permanently, and will soon be leaving to join His Father...which He did weeks later.

Interesting theory with His ascension. I disagree though. He ascended in Mark 16:19 after all His encounters with them. I think Mary was like a typical lady, just being too 'clingy' :giggle:. Euphemia is making an assumption that Jesus was with them for weeks before His ascension. There is no scripture for it. She may be right, but she needs to state it is an assumption.

You can search the scriptures for yourself.

Jesus was crucified during Passover, and He ascended 10 days before Pentecost, according to scripture. Therefore, He remained in His resurrected body on earth for 40 days.

Acts 1:3
During the forty days after he suffered and died, he appeared to the apostles from time to time, and he proved to them in many ways that he was actually alive. And he talked to them about the Kingdom of God.

"You can search the scriptures for yourself."

Wins the prize for Most Flippant Reply for 2016. And it is only January.

It was not meant to be flippant, but to simply say that it takes a simple search of the details given in scripture to determine what I made claim to. I was accused of making an assumption and that is not biblical. Now THAT was flippant.

It was not meant to be flippant, but to simply say that it takes a simple search of the details given in scripture to determine what I made claim to. I was accused of making an assumption and that is not biblical. Now THAT was flippant.

While that may be true, if they don't know the scripture, gently informing them is better than boxing their ears. Metaphorically, of course. ;)

The day of Pentecost in which the Holy Spirit fell upon 120 souls in the upper room was proof that Jesus had been raised to his Father, Glorified, and seated on his right hand.

Act 1:2.. Until the day in which he was taken up, after that he through the Holy Ghost had given commandments unto the apostles whom he had chosen:
Act 1:3.. To whom also he shewed himself alive after his passion by many infallible proofs, being seen of them forty days, and speaking of the things pertaining to the kingdom of God:
Act 1:4.. And, being assembled together with them, commanded them that they should not depart from Jerusalem, but wait for the promise of the Father, which, saith he, ye have heard of me.

Act 2:33.. Therefore being by the right hand of God exalted, and having received of the Father the promise of the Holy Ghost, he hath shed forth this, which ye now see and hear.

The Holy Spirit would not be given until Jesus was seated on the right hand of God. Jesus's resurrection from the dead was not completed until he rose to his Father in Heaven.

Joh 16:7.. Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you.

I fully agree with you except I believe that it is the spirit man that goes to heaven to wait for our glorified body.
God bless!
Hello Cturtle and I hope you are well. Yes I've maybe been a bit lazy on my response, I really should have said Spirit and Soul to Paradise with the physical body going to the ground. I believe that man is a being made up of three elements; spirit, soul and body (1 Thess 5:23) with two natures; The Holy Spirit of God in which there is no darkness and the flesh in which dwells no good thing. I will be a little more descriptive in the future. Peace and blessings x

Back