Need help with Luke 23:43

As I said, in Greek, there is no comma.

I say to you today you will be with me in paradise.​

Only in English (or another language) would that cause an interpretation problem. The answer to your question though is, they both died that very day thereby answer the question: when would he be in paradise? That day. I hope this helps.

There would only be an 'interpretation ' problem if it was in fact translated wrongly and the comma was put in the wrong place and thus say what was not said or leave it so vague that gives room to the devil to work his mischief.
That you say has no punctuation does not give licence when translating into English to put it wherever you like .
For if ALL scripture is inspired by God .Then THE meaning of the passage or words that were spoken and recorded is clear according" to the mind of God" For the Spirit knoweth the mind of God"
Hence the need if not more so for the Spirit of God to lead us into all truth in Greek as much as it was needed to understand what was written; as it is needed to understand it in English .
Those who misstranslate the scriptures do so at their peril for clearly they were simply led by the foolishness of their own reasoning (at best) that by the Spirit of God.

in Christ
gerald

Jesus didn't waste or mince words. he meant that that very day the criminal would be with Him in Hades or Paradise where the righteous dead were.
Hello again, @ASUK,

'I say unto thee this day' was a common Hebrew idiom for emphazising the occasion of making a solemn statement. Compare:-
Deut. 4:26,39,40; 5:6; 6:11; 8:1,11, 9 and many more.

'Paradise' was the condition of the earth before the entrance of Satan and the curse; so it will be also the condition of the earth again when Satan shall be bound, and the Lord shall come and reign in His kingdom. It is called in Hebrew 'Eden' sixteen times, and 'the Garden', nineteen times.

The Lord answered the request of the dying believer, not by promising something for which he did not ask; but by granting him his heart's desire and giving him the request of his lips. It has a yet future application.

In Christ Jesus
Chris

Where ever Christ is ;is paradise .
He was in effect saying where I am ye shall be also .
in paradise .
"Abrahams bosom" was the paradise of below .
It is now above . Absent from the body present with the Lord.

in Christ
gerald

The difference is where the comma is. It gives it a very different meaning.

I say to you today, you will be with me in paradise.

I say to you, today you will be with me in paradise.

Did Jesus simply say that he was going to be with him in paradise or that they will be in paradise today?

This day you will be with me in paradise .
He had repented confessed Christ and submitted to His rightful and lawful Kingship.

The OP question intentional or not is of the "yea hath God said" variety compounded by corrupted 'versions '/translations of the Bible.
in Christ
gerald

Back