New Zealand

Wow i love it when people give you something theyve made and just for you.

Ive not made anything quite so spectacular, but I do knit things and make cards etc. one time I made a sock monkey, for my friends daughter, ironically, born on christmas day.

Wow i love it when people give you something theyve made and just for you.

Ive not made anything quite so spectacular, but I do knit things and make cards etc. one time I made a sock monkey, for my friends daughter, ironically, born on christmas day.

I guess I tend to differ on some of this. I'm not saying you are wrong at all - in fact I suspect you are right - but as a reflection on myself, I tend to like being given gadgets and toys.

My mother is more one who really thinks your way. Still, I usually buy something - practical and gardening can work well - the heathers I've ordered for example - perhaps a trowel or something.

That said, I have ran to jewellery. It need not be that expensive (at least with our small family) or hard to do. Buy a couple of sterling silver settings , select the carbouchon gemstones - not diamonds or anything like that, malechite, carnelian, lapis lazuli, etc. A bit of expoxy glue and you can say have a pair of earrings to give someone who likes crafty things.

On gift giving. Well for myself when If my parents give me anything for birthday they usually ask me what I would like and then go and buy it or give me some money so I can choose for myself.

For children who arent picky and just like any kind of present cos they easy to please..I might give books, or something they can play with..if I know the person quite well I might make something they would really like or just give them little things that they can use.

Mothers day and fathers day ..actually remind me of coming up...dad really needs new slippers. For mothers day dad took me and mum to see a show. I was born on mothers day so...that was my brithday treat as well. Just spending the day together or going somewhere new would count as a gift in my book.

I think a really good gift for anyone is a Bible. Or a guitar/musical instrument.

Thinking of knitting. I still have an old Norwich City football scarf I made when I was a kid somewhere. Mum showed us how but my knitting technique was rather different. As far as my memory goes, I used to hold one of the needles with my knees and approach things left handed. It didn't get much wearing but has mostly surived what now must be over 40 years.

scarf.jpg

My mum actually likes little stones or shells so those are good gifts too..in pretty colours. Yes jewellery is a nice gift for females except for me! I dont have pierced ears, and I tend to lose jewellery, I have thin wrists and fingers and I dont like having things around my neck.

Or a guitar/musical instrument.

I think a kalimba/mbira/thumb piano could be a nice choice for something smaller. Harmonicas too.

I got my first guitar when I was about 11/12 for a birthday. I'd already learned a couple of chords on a toy uke that had been bought for a younger brother and someone showed us it could be tuned and played. As I seemed to take to it, my parents got me the guitar.

I'd like to think every kid gets the chance to play a musical instrument.... but somehow I seem to have taken the subjects here way off NZ....

Guitars are a very kiwi instrument, maoris embraced them. They have a rivh tradition of singing and we would learn maori songs in primary school.
More portable than a piano. I had a keyboard, i asked for one christmas but swapped for guitar for the reason I cant lug a keyboard anywhere.
But actually ukeleles have now become popular.

Thanks for that one. I'll learn it.

Interested to see this one is modern (1960s) and has been sung by the likes of Engelbert Humperdinck and Tom Jones. We can get into the "what is a folk song?" from there. There can be heated arguments over this with some saying you write something in a certain style with "meaningful words". For my money (although I think an event doing anything from say Dylan to old traditional ballads can reasonably call itself a folk club), I think a song needs to get some degree of adoption by people to make a "folk song".

From what you say, this has sort of made that particular "folk song" idea.

Are there any older ones you know?

It's a bit of a repeat from an earlier question but I think that time I'd limited it to birds. I know some Australian songs like Waltzing Matilda, The Wild Colonial Boy, Click Go The Shears... but even with widening things, I'm struggling on NZ.

Older nz folk songs...well, nz is a young country our history dont go back that far!

From the list given the ones i know...

Por kare kare ana
Now is the hour
Ive been everywhere (nz version)
Nz national anthem
The haka (ka mate)
One day a taniwha
E papa waitata
Poi e
Oma rapeti (run rabbit run)

Older nz folk songs...well, nz is a young country our history dont go back that far!

From the list given the ones i know...

Por kare kare ana
Now is the hour
Ive been everywhere (nz version)
Nz national anthem
The haka (ka mate)
One day a taniwha
E papa waitata
Poi e
Oma rapeti (run rabbit run)

I've got some looking up to do here.

Yep I think I'd asked about the Now is the Hour/Maori Farewell earlier in this thread and then forgotten I know it....

The Haka, I know in the All Blacks Rugby sense.

I know a run rabbit run - as a Flanagan and Allen song but at a guess without listening doubt it's the same song.

Anyway, I'll try to youtube the titles, thanks.

Back