Outside the New Jerusalem

Of course it is also true that in our day there are many wide and easy paths that a person can follow to destruction, I just feel we ought not confuse the two. For the Jew, either they relied on buying righteousness or they followed Jesus.
We have so many denominations most are OK, but some are not, some try to also sell righteousness and so on and so on.

But it says to enter through the gate first. It seems to me that Jesus is talking about both salvation AND walking through life. I dunno. I still think he's talking about salvation. Life being eternal life.

"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

Read above.

IMO the picture that is being drawn in Matthew 7:12-14 is NOT a choice between a broad white way with fun and joy and happiness, and a narrow dark, univiting alley.

Jesus is giving to us an explination that is a "funnel". If you go into that funnel at the "broad" opening, it keeps getting more anre narrow until you come to death, destruction and hell.

BUT......thank God for chooices because we can choose to enter that funnel at the "narrow" end and that is where the Lord Jesus is at.

According to His own words in John 14:6........."HE is the way the truth and the life".

He also said in John 10:0 that............."I am come that they might have life and that they might have it more abundantly".

Let me ask you this:
Mat 15:24. He answered, "I was sent only to the lost sheep of the house of Israel."
Was Jesus, when He spoke these words teaching the lost sheep of the house of Israel or was He addressing the countless billions of Gentiles that would follow throughout the Church Age?

Good question!

The woman in that passage was a"Gentile" and in verse 25 she said to Jesus.
"Then came she and worshipped Him saying, Lord, help me".

In verse 28 the Lord said to her..........
"Then Jesus answered and said unto her, O woman, great is thy faith, be it unto thee even as thou wilt. And her daughter was made whole from that very hour".

Yes, nonetheless Jesus states that He was sent only to the lost sheep of Israel.
That being the case all of His teaching was directed at them.
It seems irrelevant that He was dealing with this woman, the Samaritan woman or the Centurion's servant (a Roman?), He was sent only to the Israelites they are His focus.
His mission was to the lost of Israel and I believe that should colour our view of the things He was teaching especially since He was talking about the Law immediately prior to the wide/narrow pathways. That is why I associate the wide way with what their worship (particularly their Temple worship) had degenerated to.
But I'll admit I might be slightly incorrect......but only in the face of powerful proof.
Sorry Guys I think I'm beginning to rant a bit. Time to take a back seat for a while:)

Last edited:
Do you believe we can lose our salvation if we step out of his will. Good post by the way.

ATP, are you trusting feelings, rather than God's Word, for assurance of salvation?

The Bible says in John 3:36.......
"Whoever believes in the Son has eternal lifee, but whoever rejects the Son will not see life, for God's wrath remains on him.

John 5:24......
"I tell you the truth, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal and will not be condemned, he has crossed over from death to life".

Are you basing your salvation on what you do for God, instead of what God has done for you?
The Bible says that we can do nothing to earn our salvation. God, because of His GRACE, did all that needs to be done.
He saved us, not because of righteous things we had done, but because of his MERCY! (Titus 3:5).

Eph. 2:8-9.......
"For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God—not by works, so that no one can boast"

Are you basing your salvation on what you do for God, instead of what God has done for you? The Bible says that we can do nothing to earn our salvation. God, because of His GRACE, did all that needs to be done.
He saved us, not because of righteous things we had done, but because of his MERCY! (Titus 3:5).

Eph. 2:8-9.......
"For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God—not by works, so that no one can boast"

I agree with you, OSAS. :)

Yes, nonetheless Jesus states that He was sent only to the lost sheep of Israel.
That being the case all of His teaching was directed at them.
It seems irrelevant that He was dealing with this woman, the Samaritan woman or the Centurion's servant (a Roman?), He was sent only to the Israelites they are His focus.
His mission was to the lost of Israel and I believe that should colour our view of the things He was teaching especially since He was talking about the Law immediately prior to the wide/narrow pathways. That is why I associate the wide way with what their worship (particularly their Temple worship) had degenerated to.
But I'll admit I might be slightly incorrect......but only in the face of powerful proof.
Sorry Guys I think I'm beginning to rant a bit. Time to take a back seat for a while:)

It will have to be someone a lot more powerful than me.

I already posted all I know. She was a Gentile and worshipped Jesus. That's it for me!

How about
The groom and His bride dwell within the city and all without are those who were granted eternal life at the judgement which the groom and his bride preside over.

Can you post the scripture reference?
In transit
Paul talks about judging - can be judged and judge at the same time.
The brides judgement is now that is why she is sealed in...
Ten virgins types this.
Joseph's story types this.
etc

In transit
Paul talks about judging - can be judged and judge at the same time.
The brides judgement is now that is why she is sealed in...
Ten virgins types this.
Joseph's story types this.
etc

I think if you could post the scriptures regarding who is outside the city, and tie it into your ideas about the Bride and the ten wise virgins and Joseph, it would help this discussion.

Revelation 21:22-27
I saw no temple in the city, for the Lord God Almighty and the Lamb are its temple. 23 And the city has no need of sun or moon, for the glory of God illuminates the city, and the Lamb is its light. 24 The nations will walk in its light, and the kings of the world will enter the city in all their glory. 25 Its gates will never be closed at the end of day because there is no night there. 26 And all the nations will bring their glory and honor into the city. 27 Nothing evil will be allowed to enter, nor anyone who practices shameful idolatry and dishonesty—but only those whose names are written in the Lamb’s Book of Life.

We, who share in the glory of God and His Lamb, will have the privilege of ingress and egress in the New Jerusalem.

If our mansions are inside the city and is also our dwelling places, John 14:2.
then what will we be doing outside the city on the rest of the New Earth?
Yes, yes - I know.
It's the same as the trees planted next to the stream that flows from the throne. Now, the Word of God says that the leaves on those will be used for healing. But healing of who? Those inside of the new Jerusalem will never be ill(Memory fade - under correction).
So it seems, there are some in higher placed than others, as some will not get ill, but others will. Maybe there is a difference between those for whom Jesus returns to prepare houses, and those living on the rest of the new earth.
I'm sure someone here must have noticed this, but I'm going to have to do a lot of reading to clarify this as I cannot remember.

Yes, yes - I know.
It's the same as the trees planted next to the stream that flows from the throne. Now, the Word of God says that the leaves on those will be used for healing. But healing of who? Those inside of the new Jerusalem will never be ill(Memory fade - under correction).
So it seems, there are some in higher placed than others, as some will not get ill, but others will. Maybe there is a difference between those for whom Jesus returns to prepare houses, and those living on the rest of the new earth.
I'm sure someone here must have noticed this, but I'm going to have to do a lot of reading to clarify this as I cannot remember.

All who will be living on the New Earth---this is after Judgment, and IS NOT the Millennium---will be righteous people. No one will ever get sick.

Revelation 21:4
He will wipe every tear from their eyes, and there will be no more death or sorrow or crying or pain. All these things are gone forever.”

The Tree of Life's leaves are for the healing of nations---all that serves to divide people will be gone forever. All cultural differences, language differences and general division of any kind, including tribal, racial and cultural antagonism will be completely overcome and eradicated.

Last edited:
Not sure how you're missing this. What are your thoughts on Jesus being the gate and the door in John 10:9 and Luke 13:23-24. (Consider John 14:6 Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.) If you're stating that Matt 7:13 is about believers going to hell then you are simply incorrect. It speaks of both heaven and hell. (Matt 7:13 "You can enter God's Kingdom only through the narrow gate. The highway to hell is broad, and its gate is wide for the many who choose that way.)
Can I just interject on something notices.
A whole lot of quoted scripture references "the way". Like "I am the way", "the way to", etc.
The way and being on the way means you have not arrived at your destination as yet, you are still on the way, travelling. Whether the way is Christ and the narrow road, or whether the way is the broad easy road you are travelling, you are to still arrive.
Question: Does this not change anything as to this argument?

Yes, yes - I know.

The Jews were never promised Heaven. THEY were told that they would have the "Promised LAND". Those who come to Christ during the Tribulation will be without the city of God, New Jerusalem.

Can I just interject on something notices.
A whole lot of quoted scripture references "the way". Like "I am the way", "the way to", etc.
The way and being on the way means you have not arrived at your destination as yet, you are still on the way, travelling. Whether the way is Christ and the narrow road, or whether the way is the broad easy road you are travelling, you are to still arrive.
Question: Does this not change anything as to this argument?

Well, I would submit that, "I am the way" refers to salvation and coming to faith. Rom 10:9-10. Notice it says through me.
John 14:6 Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

John 14:6 - Gill's Exposition of the Entire Bible
Jesus saith unto him, I am the way,.... Our Lord takes the opportunity of this discourse about the place he was going to, and the way unto it, more fully to instruct his disciples concerning himself, saying, "I am the way"; Christ is not merely the way, as he goes before his people as an example; or merely as a prophet, pointing out unto them by his doctrine the way of salvation; but he is the way of salvation itself by his obedience and sacrifice; nor is there any other; he is the way of his Father's appointing, and which is entirely agreeable to the perfections of God, and suitable to the case and condition of sinners; he is the way to all the blessings of the covenant of grace; and he is the right way into a Gospel church state here; no one comes rightly into a church of Christ but by faith in him; and he is the way to heaven: he is entered into it himself by his own blood, and has opened the way to it through himself for his people:

Back