Outside the New Jerusalem

All of Matthew 7 is Jesus talking about how to remain in one's walk and to be successful in Him in our lives of faith, touching upon the themes of rightly judging, effective prayer, the "golden rule"--how to treat others, the narrow gate that leads to a rewarding life as opposed to lives filled with difficulty and trouble, about the imagery of the tree and its fruit and how our actions reveal what fruit we bring forth, about what makes a true disciple, and finishes up with how we can build our physical lives on a solid foundation in Him, the Rock.

Some might disagree. Check out Matt 7:13.

http://www.easyenglish.info/bible-commentary/matthew4-13-im-lbw.htm

v13 ‘Enter in through the narrow gate. There is a wide gate and a broad road. But that way leads to hell. Many people go through that wide gate. v14 But the gate is small that leads to life. And the road is narrow. Few people find that way.’

Some might disagree. Check out Matt 7:13.

http://www.easyenglish.info/bible-commentary/matthew4-13-im-lbw.htm

v13 ‘Enter in through the narrow gate. There is a wide gate and a broad road. But that way leads to hell. Many people go through that wide gate. v14 But the gate is small that leads to life. And the road is narrow. Few people find that way.’

"Destruction"
G684
ἀπώλεια
apōleia
ap-o'-li-a
From a presumed derivative of G622; ruin or loss (physical, spiritual or eternal): - damnable (-nation), destruction, die, perdition, X perish, pernicious ways, waste.

The word is appropriate for either sense. The word, "hell" is not spoken or implied in the meaning.

ATP, if I understand your position, you believe we must lead holy lives to be acceptable/destined for heaven. Is this right? (This is not a trick question, I am trying to understand your view).

"Destruction"
G684
ἀπώλεια
apōleia
ap-o'-li-a
From a presumed derivative of G622; ruin or loss (physical, spiritual or eternal): - damnable (-nation), destruction, die, perdition, X perish, pernicious ways, waste.

The word is appropriate for either sense. The word, "hell" is not spoken or implied in the meaning.

Matt 7:21-23 NIV “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. 22Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name and in your name drive out demons and in your name perform many miracles?’ 23Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!’

Matt 22:14 ESV For many are called, but few are chosen.”

John 10:9 NIV I am the gate; whoever enters through me will be saved. They will come in and go out, and find pasture.

Luke 13:22-30 NIV Then Jesus went through the towns and villages, teaching as he made his way to Jerusalem. 23Someone asked him, “Lord, are only a few people going to be saved?” He said to them, 24“Make every effort to enter through the narrow door, because many, I tell you, will try to enter and will not be able to. 25Once the owner of the house gets up and closes the door, you will stand outside knocking and pleading, ‘Sir, open the door for us.’ “But he will answer, ‘I don’t know you or where you come from.’ 26“Then you will say, ‘We ate and drank with you, and you taught in our streets.’ 27“But he will reply, ‘I don’t know you or where you come from. Away from me, all you evildoers!’ 28“There will be weeping there, and gnashing of teeth, when you see Abraham, Isaac and Jacob and all the prophets in the kingdom of God, but you yourselves thrown out. 29People will come from east and west and north and south, and will take their places at the feast in the kingdom of God. 30Indeed there are those who are lastwho will be first, and first who will be last.”

ATP, if I understand your position, you believe we must lead holy lives to be acceptable/destined for heaven. Is this right? (This is not a trick question, I am trying to understand your view).

We should strive to please God, but if we fall and sin we are still covered in his blood. Once saved always saved.

Matt 7:21-23 NIV “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. 22Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name and in your name drive out demons and in your name perform many miracles?’ 23Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!’

Matt 22:14 ESV For many are called, but few are chosen.”

John 10:9 NIV I am the gate; whoever enters through me will be saved. They will come in and go out, and find pasture.

Luke 13:22-30 NIV Then Jesus went through the towns and villages, teaching as he made his way to Jerusalem. 23Someone asked him, “Lord, are only a few people going to be saved?” He said to them, 24“Make every effort to enter through the narrow door, because many, I tell you, will try to enter and will not be able to. 25Once the owner of the house gets up and closes the door, you will stand outside knocking and pleading, ‘Sir, open the door for us.’ “But he will answer, ‘I don’t know you or where you come from.’ 26“Then you will say, ‘We ate and drank with you, and you taught in our streets.’ 27“But he will reply, ‘I don’t know you or where you come from. Away from me, all you evildoers!’ 28“There will be weeping there, and gnashing of teeth, when you see Abraham, Isaac and Jacob and all the prophets in the kingdom of God, but you yourselves thrown out. 29People will come from east and west and north and south, and will take their places at the feast in the kingdom of God. 30Indeed there are those who are lastwho will be first, and first who will be last.”

We should strive to please God, but if we fall and sin we are still covered in his blood. Once saved always saved.

So, if I now understand, you/we are discussing how many believers there will be, and hold that the wide/narrow path is related more to the number of persons accept the Lord, and are thus on the narrow path vs reject the Lord and thus are on the wide, more common path.

I will agree that there are persons that attend church and participate in church activities that never come to a saving acceptance of Christ himself. Some of them even spend a great deal of time and effort studying scripture and declaring their views of its meaning. These are cultural Christians, and I expect that many of them will be astonished when they stand before the Judgment Seat.

As far as many/few 'making it' into heaven, I expect to be joined with a great multitude. If I am wrong, I will find out and rejoice and praise Him.

So, if I now understand, you/we are discussing how many believers there will be, and hold that the wide/narrow path is related more to the number of persons accept the Lord, and are thus on the narrow path vs reject the Lord and thus are on the wide, more common path.

Correct. What I'm saying is that Matt 7:13-14 is referring to nonbelievers reaching or not reaching salvation.
The word "gate" and "door" are referring to salvation..John 10:9, Luke 13:23-24.
I certainly don't believe billions will be on the New Earth, that would not be biblical.

Correct. What I'm saying is that Matt 7:13-14 is referring to nonbelievers reaching or not reaching salvation.
The word "gate" and "door" are referring to salvation..John 10:9, Luke 13:23-24.
I certainly don't believe billions will be on the New Earth, that would not be biblical.

Sorry you disagree about Matthew 7. There will be an innumerable multitude who come into the Kingdom.

Not in Matthew 7:13-15. Although many think it has to do with salvation, it isn't a serious difference.

Not sure how you're missing this. What are your thoughts on Jesus being the gate and the door in John 10:9 and Luke 13:23-24. (Consider John 14:6 Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.) If you're stating that Matt 7:13 is about believers going to hell then you are simply incorrect. It speaks of both heaven and hell. (Matt 7:13 "You can enter God's Kingdom only through the narrow gate. The highway to hell is broad, and its gate is wide for the many who choose that way.)

"Destruction"
G684
ἀπώλεια
apōleia
ap-o'-li-a

and the word "perish" refers to nonbelievers. For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

and the word "destruction" refers to the antichrist. Don't let anyone deceive you in any way, for that day will not come until the rebellion occurs and the man of lawlessness is revealed, the man doomed to destruction.

The word, "hell" is not spoken or implied in the meaning.

Think again.

Last edited:
Not sure how you're missing this. What are your thoughts on Jesus being the gate and the door in John 10:9 and Luke 13:23-24. (Consider John 14:6 Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.) If you're stating that Matt 7:13 is about believers going to hell then you are simply incorrect. It speaks of both heaven and hell. (Matt 7:13 "You can enter God's Kingdom only through the narrow gate. The highway to hell is broad, and its gate is wide for the many who choose that way.)

I am not missing anything. Matthew 7:13 is not about believers going to hellfire, nor is it about their heavenly reward, but it is an admonition to walk righteously in this life, to avoid certain trouble when we do not walk righteously. The life we navigate (road) is indeed a narrow one. This is not the gate, but the road, the journey. People who walk on the shoulders often end up in the ditch. It isn't difficult to find eternal life---believe in Jesus Christ. He has made that easy, but the passage is talking about navigating life, which is strewn with pitfalls, and for those who are not diligent to remain in Christ, it is incredibly treacherous.

and the word "perish" refers to nonbelievers. For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

and the word "destruction" refers to the antichrist. Don't let anyone deceive you in any way, for that day will not come until the rebellion occurs and the man of lawlessness is revealed, the man doomed to destruction.

Think again.

Destruction is referring to the waste of a life, a shipwrecked life, due to not being diligent in following Christ's ways---or abiding in Him.

The word is not referring to the antichrist.

Though we have a house in the city, we're busy doing God's work:

Revelation 1:6 (KJV)
And hath made us kings and priests unto God and his Father; to him [be] glory and dominion for ever and ever. Amen.​

What do priests and kings do? They work serving and ruling.
Yes, but don't priests sacrifice stuff?:whistle:

As the Kingdom of heaven will come down and God will be dwelling with us, the entire universe will be open for us all to explore and who knows what God's plans are after the known heart of God toward us, as revealed in His word, has been completed? Forever is a LONG time!

Here is an artist's rendering of the Kingdom of God as per the measurements given in Revelation 21. Our homes are there.

I don't know if that is true or not, but if it is.....Spaceman Spiff will be the first to launch :)
spacemanspiff3.jpg

Let's wait and see!!! :)
Let's prepare ourselves by attending to the tasks He is setting before us each hour.

Back