Parable of the Ten Virgins

Oh really? See thats why i've struggled with this parable. There are many different views on it. I guess I'll just have to wait for God to reveal the meaning to me. Perhaps it's not my time to understand it yet.
Thank you for your insights, Brother in Christ.

the Jews during the Great Trib are told to watch... for His coming

matt 25:6 at midnight =end of Tribulation

some Hide in the mountains rev 6:15-17 wanting to die to escape God

Other watch as He comes not being Afraid

Matt 25:10 the bridegroom is JC ..
eph 5:25-32 .. mystery of christ and His bride

Orential wedding... Jewish custom...

Can anyone explain the meaning of the "Ten Virgins" parable to me? I'm struggling with it.

When Jesus spoke these parables there was no Church, the Holy Spirit had not been given yet – he was speaking to the Jewish people of that day. His parables were spoken directly to them, but they may also have a double meaning – like this one seems to have.

We have to first understand the parables as to what it meant to the people to whom he was speaking at that time. On the very day he spoke to them – this is the primary meaning. We can't call the primary meaning the secondary meaning – if there is one. You are going to have to put on your sandals, tunic, girdle, and turban and leap onto the hot sand to get into the heads of his audience of that day.

Like the parable of the Vine dressers - below. It is a picture of the rejection of himself (Jesus) being the son of the owner of the vineyard (God). See how it pertains to his day?

Matthew 21:33-4633 "Hear another parable. There was a householder who planted a vineyard, and set a hedge around it, and dug a wine press in it, and built a tower, and let it out to tenants, and went into another country. 34 When the season of fruit drew near, he sent his servants to the tenants, to get his fruit; 35 and the tenants took his servants and beat one, killed another, and stoned another. 36 Again he sent other servants, more than the first; and they did the same to them. 37 Afterward he sent his son to them, saying, `They will respect my son.' 38 But when the tenants saw the son, they said to themselves, `This is the heir; come, let us kill him and have his inheritance.' 39 And they took him and cast him out of the vineyard, and killed him. 40 When therefore the owner of the vineyard comes, what will he do to those tenants?" 41 They said to him, "He will put those wretches to a miserable death, and let out the vineyard to other tenants who will give him the fruits in their seasons."

Or how about this one?

Matthew 22:1-14 (Luke 14:16-24)
1 And again Jesus spoke to them in parables, saying, 2 "The kingdom of heaven may be compared to a king who gave a marriage feast for his son,3 and sent his servants to call those who were invited to the marriage feast;but they would not come. 4 Again he sent other servants, saying, `Tell those who are invited, Behold, I have made ready my dinner, my oxen and my fat calves are killed, and everything is ready; come to the marriage feast.' 5 But they made light of it and went off, one to his farm, another to his business, 6 while the rest seized his servants, treated them shamefully, and killed them. 7 The king was angry, and he sent his troops and destroyed those murderers and burned their city. 8 Then he said to his servants, `The wedding is ready, but those invited were not worthy. 9 Go therefore to the thoroughfares, and invite to the marriage feast as many as you find.' 10 And those servants went out into the streets and gathered all whom they found, both bad and good; so the wedding hall was filled with guests.

The gospel was first to the Jews - most of whom rejected Jesus because of their envy and hardness. God went to the gentiles. Therefore after 40 years of apostasy God brought judgment against the City, Temple, and nation which was destroyed.

One of the primary arguments that the Jews had against the Christians in the first century was this... “If Jesus was the true Messiah then why was not all of Israel saved?†And of course Paul answers this charge in his writings. He basically said that all of Israel was saved. He of course had to define who the true Israel really was.

The Parable of the 10 Virgins.

Matthew 25:1-13
1 "Then the kingdom of heaven shall be compared to ten maidens who took their lamps and went to meet the bridegroom. 2 Five of them were foolish, and five were wise. 3 For when the foolish took their lamps, they took no oil with them; 4 but the wise took flasks of oil with their lamps. 5 As the bridegroom was delayed, they all slumbered and slept. 6 But at midnight there was a cry, `Behold, the bridegroom! Come out to meet him.' 7 Then all those maidens rose and trimmed their lamps. 8 And the foolish said to the wise, `Give us some of your oil, for our lamps are going out.' 9 But the wise replied, `Perhaps there will not be enough for us and for you; go rather to the dealers and buy for yourselves.' 10 And while they went to buy, the bridegroom came, and those who were ready went in with him to the marriage feast; and the door was shut. 11 Afterward the other maidens came also, saying, `Lord, lord, open to us.' 12 But he replied, `Truly, I say to you, I do not know you.' 13 Watch therefore, for you know neither the day nor the hour.

Here was the number one main problem in Israel in Jesus' day...

[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Geneva]Luke 19:41-44 [/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Geneva]When He approached [/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Geneva]Jerusalem,[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Geneva] He saw the city and wept over it, [/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Geneva]42[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Geneva] saying, [/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Geneva]"If you had known in this day, even you, the things which make for peace! But now they have been hidden from your eyes.[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Geneva]43[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Geneva]"For the days will come upon you when your enemies will throw up a barricade against you, and surround [/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Geneva]you and hem you in on every side,[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Geneva]44[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Geneva]and they will level you to the ground and your children within you, and they will not leave in you one stone upon another, because you did not recognize the time of your visitation."[/FONT]

[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Geneva]I think in the light of the history of this period the primary meaning of Matthew 25:1-13 is that so many in Israel – primarily the leadership were asleep, unaware, and non vigilant as to the time of their visitation. They were all watching for the [/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Geneva]first[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Geneva] coming of the messiah, but were unable to discern the time of their visitation because it was hidden from them. Jesus did not come as they expected he would. The leadership were all expecting a coming in power to overthrow the Roman occupiers and to raise them to a position of world dominance. Much to my surprise the Jews still believe that today - according to what I read in the Artscroll commentary of Daniel just yesterday. [/FONT]​

[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Geneva]The five wise virgins did understand the time of their visitation. But when the Holy Spirit left the Temple in 66AD – the door was shut and about half the population (1,100,000) were slaughtered in the horrid siege of Jerusalem in 70AD. Matthew 25:1-13 also seems to be a beautiful picture of the second coming also. [/FONT]​

When it comes to saints old testament or new we are saved by the shed blood of Jesus Christ- they looked forward to the cross and we look back at it- we are all one wonderful family in Christ-

It would seem that 5 were more interested in doing their own thing than doing the Masters work- selah!

1Co 15:49 And as we have borne the image of the earthy, we shall also bear the image of the heavenly.

All of mankind was born in the natural after Adam - even the Lord Jesus had a human frame-

Back