Passover/Lord's supper

Mint sauce is supposed to be nice with Lamb, however I can't stand it.

Apologies if someone has already said mint sauce and I've missed it.

Honey and mustard are nice together.
Garlic and rosemary.
Mint and rosemary.
Lemon and dill.

Rosemary is the herb for remembrance. You not meant to eat it but put it with lamb to give flavor. It is a mediterranean herb, so could imagine they used it in Jesus day.

Mint is more of a sweet herb, used to flavor desserts, but if you mix it with sugar and vinegar makes a nice sauce.

They could have used mustard...as jesus did mention faith the size if a mustard seed...but its a seed rather than the leaf.

Parsley cos you can dip it in the salt water sort of like hyssop in vinegar.

Does anyone like matza crackers?
What do you prefer..soft bread or crackers?
I like crackers, specially if they have a bit of salt in them for flavour.
I'm pretty sure at passover is strictly unleavened bread. You can't break leavened bread, though you can slice it. I'm not really sure why some churches serve white fluffy bread for their Lords supper. And they already cut it into pieces, some of the pieces so small that its not even a proper portion. I'm not a fan of that kind of bread, it's like eating air and dough.

challah bread is also nice, has egg in it and sweet, but that's more for sabbath than passover meal, which I gather is a special sabbath day in the OT.

Does anyone like matza crackers?
What do you prefer..soft bread or crackers?
I like crackers, specially if they have a bit of salt in them for flavour.
I'm pretty sure at passover is strictly unleavened bread. You can't break leavened bread, though you can slice it. I'm not really sure why some churches serve white fluffy bread for their Lords supper. And they already cut it into pieces, some of the pieces so small that its not even a proper portion. I'm not a fan of that kind of bread, it's like eating air and dough.

I love matzoh with peanut butter!

Peanut butter!
I never tried that on crackers, but its nice with jam and bread.
I usually prefer crackers with cheese, esp creamy blue cheese.
In nz we have marmite, kind of like a yeast extract spread. Its an acquired taste.

This thread sparked an interest, and it was even more fitting that we also had a discussion on the Eucharist.

I was recently praying, investigating, and pondering over this subject -- celebrating a Jewish seder as Christians. I'm definitely one who has done this many time, both with practicing Jews (those who reject Christ as the savior) and with Christians (who did it as a way to look back on how Jews celebrated before Christ).

I don't want to make any accusations since I suspect all of us who have or do celebrate it are well-meaning, but the question is that by doing this today, are we partaking in a celebration of rabbinic Judaism rather than Biblical Judaism? Are we practicing a false-worship to God since the temple was already destroyed and rebuilt? Isn't Communion the Christian seder celebration rather than celebrating a Jewish seder?

I don't mean to bring controversy to this thread, but this may be a very interesting discussion, if it is wrong, perhaps something very much worth discerning.

Yes the lords supper is the passover they the same Jesus just made it more meaningful.
We dont need to adhere to the jewish customs in all things but they interesting to learn and fun to be part of...I dont think christians would do any rabbinical judaism things like being strict kosher or not recognising their messiah!

Like jewish ppl would celebrate by saying next year in Jerusalem..and look forward to their Messiah and their kingdom of Israel restored to earth wheras we christians already know he is come and is risen and that the Kingdom is a heavenly Kingdom.

But I suspect Jewish ppl would not like to invite christians to their passover meals cos obviously those that are gentiles did not go through the exodus..even though...if we are grafted in, that history becomes a part of our history.

Yes the lords supper is the passover they the same Jesus just made it more meaningful.
We dont need to adhere to the jewish customs in all things but they interesting to learn and fun to be part of...I dont think christians would do any rabbinical judaism things like being strict kosher or not recognising their messiah!

That's an interesting perspective.
Rabbinic Judaism is Judaism that denies Christ being the messiah after he has arrived. Technically rabbinic Judaism is in the Bible, but these weren't his followers. Biblical Judaism proper would be the apostles, King David, Moses, Esther, etc.

I failed to mention that distinction. That's my fault.

Its ok. Well one church in my area is putting celebrating again this year..but, I dont know if I go again cos it seemed to me more of a performance than a meal and I would just like to have a roast lamb dinner at home with my family even if they unbelievers ...is this wrong of me? Cos they wont go to that church anyway, and I have left cos of other reasons.

Although mum did come to a mid winter christmas dinner at my old church which went back to and we had carols. Its funny that christmas dinner in my country people eat either turkey or ham. Mostly ham. Jewish ppl would definitely not eat ham. I dont like it much either and prefer lamb.

What happened was, this church had a seder but we had to go up to the microphone and say our lines and by the time we all did that food was getting cold..we all had to bring our own, some couldnt afford lamb and so had chicken instead...and it just didnt feel like a family meal it felt like we were going thorugh the motions. I dont know Im chinese and like to enjoy my food rather than talk about it so much!! But I think the fun thing is to imagine yourself in that story and going through the ten plagues...and having the angel passover you..pointing towards Jesus sacrifice on the cross as our passover lamb.

We do go and remind ourselves of the birth of Jesus at christmas but not reciting the whole story in Luke while we are eating!

Easter traditions like eggs and hot cross buns also make everything a bit more confusing...but I always think of Jesus when earing a delicious hot cross bun with plenty of butter.

Its ok. Well one church in my area is putting celebrating again this year..but, I dont know if I go again cos it seemed to me more of a performance than a meal and I would just like to have a roast lamb dinner at home with my family even if they unbelievers ...is this wrong of me? Cos they wont go to that church anyway, and I have left cos of other reasons.

Although mum did come to a mid winter christmas dinner at my old church which went back to and we had carols. Its funny that christmas dinner in my country people eat either turkey or ham. Mostly ham. Jewish ppl would definitely not eat ham. I dont like it much either and prefer lamb.

What happened was, this church had a seder but we had to go up to the microphone and say our lines and by the time we all did that food was getting cold..we all had to bring our own, some couldnt afford lamb and so had chicken instead...and it just didnt feel like a family meal it felt like we were going thorugh the motions. I dont know Im chinese and like to enjoy my food rather than talk about it so much!! But I think the fun thing is to imagine yourself in that story and going through the ten plagues...and having the angel passover you..pointing towards Jesus sacrifice on the cross as our passover lamb.

We do go and remind ourselves of the birth of Jesus at christmas but not reciting the whole story in Luke while we are eating!

There is definitely nothing wrong with wanting to have a meal with the family. That is always a good thing.

A seder is definitely no ordinary meal. What is being eaten isn't the point as much as why these things are being eaten.

Hmm..why...cos we family and we survived and we together and still alive. Ultimately.
Still, I like to enjoy my food! Cant really enjoy it if I dont like it...or its cold!

I suppose when the Isrelites were in egypt and under slavery and then they had the famine and then all those plagues...God could have just left them there..but he went to extra special lengths to rescue them.

And I guess if looking back on my life thats what Jesus did for me, he got me out of Egypt.

Well, i just declined an invite to one.
I think it be different if had at someones home but this at a church I no longer go to and so its not really jewish ppl inviting me its christians celebrating it. Although some of the members are really into hebrew roots.
The lady got mad at me for not letting her know sooner but since heaps of ppl go I dont think it matters..and she could invite her son who doesnt go to church anymore. Because he is her family.
Its just if I went, my mum be home by herself as she wont go..as not invited..and Im not feeling up to it anyway. Long drawn out dinners not fun for me..i know ppl been rehearsing for weeks and it such a huge deal last time, and even one of the sunday school children complained they always have to keep rehearsing for events all the time at short notice.

The real passover day is not this fri but next saturday according to my calendar.

Last edited:
I think its very meaningful if you actually get into the spirit of putting yourself in the israelites place..that way back then, your ancestors, of which you were grafted in, were led out of Egypt. Then you act out the story, its fun for children anyway..but I dont have any..so..I always kind of get slotted somewhere else. The parents do come cos of their children and to be proud that they can get up and recite, but I do find..that a meal such as the passover is best celebrated at home with just one table and everyone being relaxed and eating together.
Like...as in another thread...some were eating first while others were going hungry. Church leaders always seemed to get first dibs and then everyone else roped into being servers while the females who did all the cooking also where the ones cleaning up. But the last supper was where Jesus became servant and washed his disciples feet.

Back