Passover/Lord's supper

Easter traditions like eggs and hot cross buns also make everything a bit more confusing...but I always think of Jesus when eating a delicious hot cross bun with plenty of butter.

Many traditions start out as illustrations that are meaningful. Easter eggs were to symbolize rebirth & the empty tomb. Nope, I don't really get it either, but if it helps someone else understand, praise God for it.

Christmas trees are evergreens and look living through the winter as a sign of hope when all seems cold. The lights (originally candles) represent the light of Christ. We give presents because the magi brought presents to our Lord. The same with birthday presents.

The thing is, we love our little ones, and will go to great lengths to make these holidays fun and enjoyable for them, knowing that they are unable to perceive much of the meaning behind the fun.

There are many things that we blame on the enemy that I believe we need to look to ourselves, but I think that the removal of the meaning behind many traditions has the fingerprints of the adversary. I think he strengthens anything that displaces thoughts of the Lord, and works to subvert anything that draw us to Him.

In nz we have marmite, kind of like a yeast extract spread. Its an acquired taste.
We also have Marmite here in South Africa, and some people uses it in food preparation. I like Marmites meatier cousin, called Bovril. People also used to make a drink with it like you would tea, just a teaspoon of Bovril in hot water. It's quite beefy though.
We are having a Seder meal at our church on Wednesday evening, will be my first. My wife will be preparing a fruit salad for our table, and thus far that consists of apple, pear, banana, sweet melon, kiwi fruit and I think grapes. Not sure if that is specific to a traditional Seder meal, but I'm looking forward to that.

So this evening we joined the Seder meal at church. Uncle Paul read some verses in Hebrew, there was some dancing with Jewish roots, some traditional meal components, celebration, reflection and Praise and Worship.
I have tried to take a few photos especially for everyone here.

We could do an online seder here on Sat..each of us read the story of Exodus and eat the foods. Well. I'm not sure how this can work exactly but I want to ask one of the four questions.

Maybe when you get home...? I'd love to see them!
Also not possible - I do not keep computers at home - ironic as I'm in the IT industry.
But hopefully another plan can be made - I'll see if my cell phone can help if there is enough data available.
There is a lovely bit of detail on the six elements of the meal, as well as the Matzo bread, and also the four cups of wine/grape juice.

I always thought matzo or matza was a funny name for bread.
It sounds like a nintendo character. Super matzo brothers!

Also not possible - I do not keep computers at home - ironic as I'm in the IT industry.
But hopefully another plan can be made - I'll see if my cell phone can help if there is enough data available.
There is a lovely bit of detail on the six elements of the meal, as well as the Matzo bread, and also the four cups of wine/grape juice.

That's irony, alright! No problem!

Many traditions start out as illustrations that are meaningful. Easter eggs were to symbolize rebirth & the empty tomb. Nope, I don't really get it either, but if it helps someone else understand, praise God for it.

Christmas trees are evergreens and look living through the winter as a sign of hope when all seems cold. The lights (originally candles) represent the light of Christ. We give presents because the magi brought presents to our Lord. The same with birthday presents.

The thing is, we love our little ones, and will go to great lengths to make these holidays fun and enjoyable for them, knowing that they are unable to perceive much of the meaning behind the fun.

There are many things that we blame on the enemy that I believe we need to look to ourselves, but I think that the removal of the meaning behind many traditions has the fingerprints of the adversary. I think he strengthens anything that displaces thoughts of the Lord, and works to subvert anything that draw us to Him.

My brother, Easter eggs and rabbits predate the empty tomb by around 3000 years at least. It was the queen of heaven, Nimrods wife named Semeramis who 1st came up with eggs and rabbits.

Semiramis became known as "Ishtar" which is pronounced "Easter", and her moon egg became known as "Ishtar's" egg."

What about those rabbits? How did they get into Easter??? Tammuz, son of Semiramis, was noted to be especially fond of rabbits, and they became sacred in the ancient religion, because Tammuz was believed to be the son of the sun-god, Baal. Tammuz, like his supposed father, became a hunter.

As for the "evergreen tree", some say it came from the Druids of early Europe but a little study and work and we find that it goes back to ancient Babylon. The queen mother told the worshippers that when Tammuz was killed by a wild pig, some of his blood fell on the stump of an evergreen tree, and the stump grew into a full new tree overnight. This made the evergreen tree sacred by the blood of Tammuz.

Who knew????

Last edited:
Did you know that tomato's are a fruit but no one uses them in a fruit salad.
Yes, well, fruit salad 'normally' is made from sweet fruits, and tomatoes are more savoury, so end up very nicely in the leafy salad.
It compliments that very well along with some beautiful onion and even green onion.
That said, my wife likes to add grapes to the leafy salads she makes - I separate the sweet grapes from the rest before adding salts and dressing to the leafy bits.
Sssh, she does not know.

Yes, well, fruit salad 'normally' is made from sweet fruits, and tomatoes are more savoury, so end up very nicely in the leafy salad.
It compliments that very well along with some beautiful onion and even green onion.
That said, my wife likes to add grapes to the leafy salads she makes - I separate the sweet grapes from the rest before adding salts and dressing to the leafy bits.
Sssh, she does not know.

Lovely man---that's respectful!

Okay sjoo, that nearly took hours to get this done via my mobile.
So the function of the few photos here are informational.
The Haggadah photo contains a traditional plate with six elements, the bowl just behind that contains the Charoset.
The program sort of shows the order of event - this is how the Jewish people do the Passover meal - to be honest, it is not something that you get down and dusted with in some minutes, in our case was a meal over hours.
Now each item in the programme has something around it, washing hand for example is different from water - soap - rinse - dry.
Someone holds a bowl, someone decants water of your hands, and you wash three times, one hand at a time, right, left, right left, etc. Quite drawn out, should you be interested in the traditional thing.
What I found amazing is how certain things of the meal coincides with things around Christ and the crucifixion, burial and resurrection. The matzo is also treated in a set of three, this points to Father, Son and Holy Ghost.
Weirdly enough, the middle one is removed from the other two, Jesus, then broken in half, one half is folded in a cloth and hidden. The other half is used in a communion like way. Near the end of the meal, the children must find the half that was hidden, and it's brought out again, but this in real life is done over three days if I recall. Sounds pretty much like Christ there being hidden in burial and being raised after three days.
The use of grape juice during the meal for me is also special, and beautifully links to the Exodus passage.

Back