Pope's New Tweet

Well, I watched the whole video by Dr Hahn, and (as I said in the private conversation to you) I am no where closer to agreeing with this doctrine of Mary. As a matter of fact, I kind of just shook my head (to myself) and felt bad about all the non-scripture sources that were given to support her elevation. Dr Hahn is an articulate speaker, and easy to listen to but I didn't feel good about what he was saying. I felt sad...very sad.

Typology is new and interesting to me, and I often find Bible passages that draw analogy between Christ and His bride (the church), or Christ Himself, or the Anti-christ even...but I have never seen the same mother/son analogy that Dr Hahn or you draw. And I definitely feel that the samples given by Dr Hahn were very weak.

Consequently, while I do respect you for taking the time to explain the RCC interpretation of Biblical passages, I am still (metaphorically) shaking my head at it.

We can end this discussion here, unless there is more proof that is EASILY discernible to be offered.
I'm sorry, Cloud, but I have an obligation not to sway the thread to a different topic. Either we begin a new thread or we do this in a private conversation.

Lastly Calvin,
What offends me is the unfair statements for all sides. I've reprimanded remarks that were deliberately meant to demean Protestant thought. This isn't about me.

Before I read this thread, if my boyfriend’s mother had asked me, “Giddy darling, do you pray to the Virgin Mary,” I would have said, “Yes;” and I would thought no more about it. Now that I have thought about it, I think that the closest I have come to praying to Mary is in the Rosary, which says, “Holy Mary Mother of God, pray for us sinners …”

Turns out I’m not the only one of my friends and relations who have gotten this backwards. For example, my grandmother told me how as a teenager she prayed to Mary. It was an elaborate ceremony during May. She wrote messages to Mary: “Help me get better grades,” or “Help me be kind to my brother.” Then the priest collected her notes along with the other student’s notes, and he burned the notes before Mary’s statue. There appears to have been little distinction between intercession and requests for salvation. However, it was sixty years ago, so she could be missremembering.

With all the ceremony, I can see how people would get the wrong idea. If we pray to Mary it is for her to “pray for us sinners.”

I do wonder why Mary gets the grief in this matter. I bet the most common prayer for intercession is: Dear Saint. Anthony, please come around. Something is lost, and it must be found.

Surely no one thinks that repeating that line means that Saint Anthony is somehow equal to Jesus.

Which Scriptures would that be Larry. I would love to talk with you about them.

Major, I'd love to continue, but like I told everyone else, we have to continue either in a new thread dedicated to this topic of in a Private Conversation.

I'm still up for discussing and would love to answer your question.

Major, I'd love to continue, but like I told everyone else, we have to continue either in a new thread dedicated to this topic of in a Private Conversation.

I'm still up for discussing and would love to answer your question.

Larry, God bless you brother for what you are trying to do. And I mean no disrespect or to be a thorn in the flesh, but you brought the topic up on # 65 and then again in #72 about Mary being the New Eve. It seems a little strange to me to bring something up and when we ask about it the answer is we need to start a new thread.

Just trying to clarify not argue.

Larry, God bless you brother for what you are trying to do. And I mean no disrespect or to be a thorn in the flesh, but you brought the topic up on # 65 and then again in #72 about Mary being the New Eve. It seems a little strange to me to bring something up and when we ask about it the answer is we need to start a new thread.

Just trying to clarify not argue.
Major, I'm not trying to threaten anyone, and I'm at fault for carrying on too. But I have a responsibility to keep threads on track.

Before I read this thread, if my boyfriend’s mother had asked me, “Giddy darling, do you pray to the Virgin Mary,” I would have said, “Yes;” and I would thought no more about it. Now that I have thought about it, I think that the closest I have come to praying to Mary is in the Rosary, which says, “Holy Mary Mother of God, pray for us sinners …”

Turns out I’m not the only one of my friends and relations who have gotten this backwards. For example, my grandmother told me how as a teenager she prayed to Mary. It was an elaborate ceremony during May. She wrote messages to Mary: “Help me get better grades,” or “Help me be kind to my brother.” Then the priest collected her notes along with the other student’s notes, and he burned the notes before Mary’s statue. There appears to have been little distinction between intercession and requests for salvation. However, it was sixty years ago, so she could be missremembering.

With all the ceremony, I can see how people would get the wrong idea. If we pray to Mary it is for her to “pray for us sinners.”

I do wonder why Mary gets the grief in this matter. I bet the most common prayer for intercession is: Dear Saint. Anthony, please come around. Something is lost, and it must be found.

Surely no one thinks that repeating that line means that Saint Anthony is somehow equal to Jesus.

I would ask you to consider the Biblical teaching of Dr. C.I. Scofield in his book, "Rightly Dividing the Word of God".

"My standing is the same as every other child of God. We share an equal standing, an equal position, an equal status. Find the most carnal believer you can find who lived during the past 6000 years and put him next to the Apostle Paul, one of the godliest saints who ever lived. Paul's standing is no better than the standing of this carnal believer. Both share an equal standing. When it comes to the Judgment Seat of Christ there will be great differences between believers with respect to rewards and loss of rewards, but when it comes to our standing in Christ, there is no difference. "The weakest person, if he be but a true believer on the Lord Jesus Christ, has precisely the same title as the most illustrious saint".

My dear Ghid, our standing is wholly based on grace and we are all equal in the sight of God because the ground at the foot of the cross is level. I do not deserve any of it. I am not worthy of any of it. It is by God's grace that I stand perfect and complete in Christ Jesus.

Rom. 5:2............(ESV)
2 "Through him we have also obtained access by faith[a] into this grace in which we stand, and we[b] rejoice[c] in hope of the glory of God. 3 Not only that, but we rejoice in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces endurance, 4 and endurance produces character, and character produces hope, 5 and hope does not put us to shame, because God's love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit who has been given to us."

Major, I'm not trying to threaten anyone, and I'm at fault for carrying on too. But I have a responsibility to keep threads on track.

I did not mean that you are threatening anyone Larry. I do not mean anything at all like that. The fact I am referring to is that on a couple of things you have posted comments and when someone responds to that comment, we are told to start another thread so the comment stands whether we agree or disagree because no one follows up with a new thread.

I will try to do what you suggested on your comment that Mary is the New Eve. Now, that is not a blast or a negative to Catholic teaching but is in fact what is suggested we do instead of discussing it as posted. That is fine with me as I have no axe to grind.

I did not mean that you are threatening anyone Larry. I do not mean anything at all like that. The fact I am referring to is that on a couple of things you have posted comments and when someone responds to that comment, we are told to start another thread so the comment stands whether we agree or disagree because no one follows up with a new thread.

I will try to do what you suggested on your comment that Mary is the New Eve. Now, that is not a blast or a negative to Catholic teaching but is in fact what is suggested we do instead of discussing it as posted. That is fine with me as I have no axe to grind.

I believe you when you said this was never an attempt to blast or attack Catholic teaching -- I didn't get that vibe from anyone. Each response I gave (or most anyway) had a follow up encouragement to continue the discussion, but leave this thread specifically for its topic.

This thread never was about me and I never took it that way. I was happy to respond, but I'm obligated to try and re-rail the thread to its original topic. We've derailed.

I can be fair minded enough to post ::
"The model of motherhood for the church is the Blessed Virgin Mary, who in the fullness of time conceived through the Holy Spirit and gave birth to the Son of God. Her motherhood continues through the church, who brings forth sons and daughters through baptism, whom she nourishes through the Word of God."
Read more at http://www.prophecynewswatch.com/2014/September10/104.html#9Bq3LA71kbJHupFH.99
(from the opening article.)

I can see how this teaching? from the Pope can/could be used to support the idea of Mary being the second Eve, (which thing I do not embrace),
There is no need to be coy about it and since it comes directly from the opening post it is hardly 'off topic'

I would ask you to consider the Biblical teaching of Dr. C.I. Scofield in his book, "Rightly Dividing the Word of God".

"My standing is the same as every other child of God. We share an equal standing, an equal position, an equal status. Find the most carnal believer you can find who lived during the past 6000 years and put him next to the Apostle Paul, one of the godliest saints who ever lived. Paul's standing is no better than the standing of this carnal believer. Both share an equal standing. When it comes to the Judgment Seat of Christ there will be great differences between believers with respect to rewards and loss of rewards, but when it comes to our standing in Christ, there is no difference. "The weakest person, if he be but a true believer on the Lord Jesus Christ, has precisely the same title as the most illustrious saint".

My dear Ghid, our standing is wholly based on grace and we are all equal in the sight of God because the ground at the foot of the cross is level. I do not deserve any of it. I am not worthy of any of it. It is by God's grace that I stand perfect and complete in Christ Jesus.

Rom. 5:2............(ESV)
2 "Through him we have also obtained access by faith[a] into this grace in which we stand, and we[b] rejoice[c] in hope of the glory of God. 3 Not only that, but we rejoice in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces endurance, 4 and endurance produces character, and character produces hope, 5 and hope does not put us to shame, because God's love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit who has been given to us."

Thank you for helping me understand this. Do you mean CI Scolfied in Wikipeida. Is this a fair copy of his book? Should I read it?

Back