Question On Communion

What do you guys think about taking communion at home? Taking alone when no one else is there.. Or taking with family and with other extended family members..

What do you guys think about taking communion at home? Taking alone when no one else is there.. Or taking with family and with other extended family members..
Good topic Rav... "Do this as often" is an odd term to describe? I know men of God who have practiced communion daily and there lives bear witness to Gods strength and power in their lives. I believe the great power of communion is in a united fellowship of believers but do not discount the power of these memorials and these acts of faith on the individual level.

Where we see people taking the Lord's Supper in the New Testament, it is always in the context of fellowship with other believers. This can be at home (...the early church met in homes), but it is never not alone.

It is not just about communion with God, but communion with other believers, regardless of social status. The word 'communion' (1 Cor. 10:16) means fellowship or participation (in the body of Christ).

Where we see people taking the Lord's Supper in the New Testament, it is always in the context of fellowship with other believers. This can be at home (...the early church met in homes), but it is never not alone.

It is not just about communion with God, but communion with other believers, regardless of social status. The word 'communion' (1 Cor. 10:16) means fellowship or participation (in the body of Christ).
Now where does it say it can "never" be done alone? That's your understanding, and it has value but it is not the truth of the scriptures. If a single Christian wants to take communion and has no other believers around to bring into this act of faith, of course there is no rule against this? Nor is it even suggested.

Now where does it say it can "never" be done alone? That's your understanding, and it has value but it is not the truth of the scriptures. If a single Christian wants to take communion and has no other believers around to bring into this act of faith, of course there is no rule against this? Nor is it even suggested.
1Co 10:16 The cup of blessing which we bless, is it not the communion of the blood of Christ? The bread which we break, is it not the communion of the body of Christ?
17 For we being many are one bread, and one body: for we are all partakers of that one bread.

The "communion" is with Christ and a single person in China "hiding in a hole" can have communion with a person in the USA who has a desire to remember the Lord, with out all the religion that seems to hinder the simple truth of this act of faith.

I just thought of a good example...If a Jew wanted to eat Passover and was the only Jew around, we would not question his desire and the right to express his faith...alone if needed. Passover of course a picture of what we have in truth.

There is no problem if it is done "...in remembrance of me...". We have taken communion, and have witnessed healings! We
come together discerning the Lord's body, how it was broken for us: "But He was wounded for our transgressions, bruised for
our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon Him; and with His stripes we are healed."

Beloved, Walk in the Light.

We often take communion in our house. Sometimes the Lord says to one of us, I want you as a family to do communion, so we do. He has also told me personally to do communion. I don't think it is about who is around, it is about real faith, real remembrance, real thankfulness, real worship, real rejoicing in what God has done for us. It is not about doing a ceremony. It is about God seeing a pure and grateful heart. It is an act of love toward God. How could this ever be wrong?

I would say that the only requirement is that all participants must be people of faith (previously being baptized was a requirement in the early church...not trying to derail, just say'n)...mpm-believers would be eating to their own demise not discerning the body in the breaking of the bread...but I see no reason why a family or household should not...

Greetings:

Melchizedek who had a spiritual title, gave Abraham the B&W.I also desire the B&W given to me by a titled spiritual type person.

bye

Greetings:

Melchizedek who had a spiritual title, gave Abraham the B&W.I also desire the B&W given to me by a titled spiritual type person.

bye

Don't leave...the Ethiopian Orthodox tell me that is the tradition they always believed...only a Priest or Bishop can administer the Lord's Table in their liturgy. But are we not also priests and kings? And yes Melchizedek did share the bread and the wine. This also was the traditional communion meal for the Zadokite priests of Qumran....

The BIble is silent on this issue but in the early church it was always the Pastor....

Don't leave...the Ethiopian Orthodox tell me that is the tradition they always believed...only a Priest or Bishop can administer the Lord's Table in their liturgy. But are we not also priests and kings? And yes Melchizedek did share the bread and the wine. This also was the traditional communion meal for the Zadokite priests of Qumran....

The BIble is silent on this issue but in the early church it was always the Pastor....
That's just tradition Paul..and these terms pastor, bishop have been corrupted. There is no "priest" class there is ONLY the word of God and all are called kings and priest. No early letters of "church" fathers in anyway replace the truth of scripture. I did not see this religious side of you brother Paul, I must say I am saddened to see that you are not able to read and understand the scriptures for yourself. You would make a mighty man of God if only God would be true to you and every man a liar.

Well lets just say us poor old Protestants can take communion as we are directed by the Word of God and the Holy Spirit. Good enough for me:)

That also helps kinda keep folks dependent upon these "leaders" wouldn't you say? Its a handy "tradition" if one is looking to control others. Not that anything like that has ever happened in history:cautious:

The "communion" is with Christ and a single person in China "hiding in a hole" can have communion with a person in the USA who has a desire to remember the Lord, with out all the religion that seems to hinder the simple truth of this act of faith.

I don't have any problem with this. Communion is not just something between you and Christ. It is recognizing also the relationship between you and your brothers and sisters in Christ. This is why Paul wrote to the Corinthians about the Lord's Supper in 1 Corinthians 11. People were taking communion without recognizing the body of Christ, which included their fellow believers (1 Cor. 11:20-21).

But what about those who are able to fellowship with other believers, but don't?

http://dtjsoft.com/discerning-the-body/

I don't have any problem with this. Communion is not just something between you and Christ. It is recognizing also the relationship between you and your brothers and sisters in Christ. This is why Paul wrote to the Corinthians about the Lord's Supper in 1 Corinthians 11. People were taking communion without recognizing the body of Christ, which included their fellow believers (1 Cor. 11:20-21).

But what about those who are able to fellowship with other believers, but don't?

http://dtjsoft.com/discerning-the-body/
Well I agree in part that communion in its fullest picture and purpose is "recognizing" the unity we have in and through the body of the Lord. And the people was getting "drunk" and some was acting like pigs while others went without, the body and union with Christ in fellowship is about love, that is the rebuke of not recognizing the Lords Body, not all this religious stuff about proper authority and you cant have some sort of shortcoming....all that is just man-made religion.

Well I agree in part that communion in its fullest picture and purpose is "recognizing" the unity we have in and through the body of the Lord. And the people was getting "drunk" and some was acting like pigs while others went without, the body and union with Christ in fellowship is about love, that is the rebuke of not recognizing the Lords Body, not all this religious stuff about proper authority and you cant have some sort of shortcoming....all that is just man-made religion.
And who is saying that we should not have fellowship, but if mans religion has perverted the very meaning of fellowship, I suggest its time we consider again what these words really mean? If "fellowship" means we all have to agree with the errors of mans religion, then no , one does not need that sort of fellowship.

That's just tradition Paul..and these terms pastor, bishop have been corrupted. There is no "priest" class there is ONLY the word of God and all are called kings and priest. No early letters of "church" fathers in anyway replace the truth of scripture. I did not see this religious side of you brother Paul, I must say I am saddened to see that you are not able to read and understand the scriptures for yourself. You would make a mighty man of God if only God would be true to you and every man a liar.

No! I agree...thats actually what I was trying to say...often there is a difference between the word (what it actually addresses or not) and traditions...communion (koinonia) simply means fellowship and common-union (but that refers to with Christ not necessarily with each other, but this is also implied)...I see no problem with people performing the Lord's Table in their homes...

1Co 10:16 The cup of blessing which we bless, is it not the communion of the blood of Christ? The bread which we break, is it not the communion of the body of Christ?
17 For we being many are one bread, and one body: for we are all partakers of that one bread.

I agree.. There is nothing in the Bible that says it should never be done alone.. At the same time, we never see it being done alone :) Let's leave out the exceptions.. If someone is so sick that they cannot come out of house, it is not a reason to deny communion.. I am talking about people who take communion at church and feel that they can take communion additionally at home themselves.. Is that advisable?

No! I agree...thats actually what I was trying to say...often there is a difference between the word (what it actually addresses or not) and traditions
Yes, that's a good point. I believe its time to test all these traditions that have been handed down to us. To hold that which is good but cast away that which tends toward the corruption we have seen these many years in the "church". I believe its time that those who have honest and sincere hearts, look into the perfect law of liberty and declare that liberty we have in Gods Word. I would that much of what is known in my own tradition would be done away and a new understanding come to Gods people.

Eph 2:7 That in the ages to come he might shew the exceeding riches of his grace in his kindness toward us through Christ Jesus.

Back