Questionable science

I bought this Klutz Rock, Gem and Geode maker lab kit the other day. It comes with 31 different rocks and gems and I personally think it's pretty cool to have a collection and find out more about God's treasures he's put in the earth.

However, even the book that comes with it can't seem to get away from the questionable science when it claims, on page 27 in Experiment #5 Home-grown Geode

Geodes are sort of like Earth's hidden treasure. When you crack open one of these rocks, you'll find layers and layers of sparkly crystals! It takes millions of years for a geode to form. Geodes can be all kinds of colors, from purple amethyst (see page 10) to pale pink.

haha millions of years, yet this home grown geode (it gives instructions on how to make it, using the crystal powder and plaster of paris and mould that comes in the kit) can be made and grown in just a week!

I'm like, just drop the 'millions of years' thing science writers, you ain't fooling anybody. If I can make one in a week, then surely it didn't take MILLIONS of years to form in the earth.

Hey Lanolin;

Getting back to the Geode is interesting. When you crack one of these open, are the 31 rocks each a different color or can they be multi-colored?

Hello Mavi Bee;

You ask a good question. Attempting to reconcile evolution to the Bible has been an ongoing debate since the early church, thus Questionable Science remains a supposition. There will never be a conclusion to this ongoing discussion.

Questionable science and evolution has always provided layers and layers of "impressive" information but at the end of the day it's interpretation cannot be force fact and it cannot prove the past.

What I believe in my faith is Creationism, God's blueprint of the heavens, universe, and every creation; God's Word backs up Truth from the beginning of the young earth, or 6000 years ago.

Example, if the old earth is considered to be millions of years old, including rocks and dirt, then that would have been the beginning of the heavens and the earth reference Genesis 1:1. Therefore, how do we account for Adam's life which was 930 years?

Evolution and questionable science will always attempt to take it's argument to reach God's agreement. I believe, instead, God's perfect Word will always reach human agreement.

I may have opened a can or worms in this topic, but it may align in the discussion. Like I said, this will always be an ongoing discussion and hopefully the debate will be respectful and amicable.

God bless you, Mavi Bee, and your family.
I believe in a young earth as there is absolutely nothing in scripture to make anyone think it was millions of years. The 6 days of creation and the 7th resting represent the history of earth's timeline. 6,000 years into the eternal perfect rest when we are resurrected (sin done away with).
The last days began at Jesus ascension and the receiving of the Holy Spirit. The last days have been playing out for just under 2,000 years so it seems odd to call it the last days 2,000 years ago unless it is in reference to creation days and one day being as a 1,000 years to the Lord.

Hey Lanolin;

Getting back to the Geode is interesting. When you crack one of these open, are the 31 rocks each a different color or can they be multi-colored?
The geode is a crystal formation inside a egg shaped rock.
The kit comes with crystal powder which you dissolve and super saturate in hot water solution which when evaporated, forms crystals. This one is purple colour

The 31 different rocks are separate and come in a different compartment already labelled, and there is a handy book to identify them. It's fascinating to read about them and they come from all over the world. The rocks are all different colours and some are multicoloured.

I can list them all if you are interested!

I always found the precious stones mentioned in Revelation 21:19-20 fascinating.

God just waited a couple of million years as he was a slow coach at creation.

People get hung up on millions years. If a volcano can be created in a day, then so can mountains be moved in a day. The flood took 40 days and 40 nights, and receded over a couple hundred days, not millions of years. That amount of displacement of water would have taken not long to move...but evolutionists claim everything was going in slooooooooooooow motion lol. They are obviously wrong, plus they weren't even there to prove it, they are only going on estimates and baseless calculations of percentages. You can't form a solid foundation on shifting sand like that.

It would be like me trying to guess how old you are based on the percentage of calcium in your bones.

Not to be argumentative in any way at all, but for the earth to be 6000 years old, a few things have to be considered.

First, man had to have lived with and around dinosaurs. The question then must be, why has there never been any human bones found with dinosaur bones????

Second, How did Noah fit all the thousands of prehistoric creatures besides dinosaurs onto the ark?

Third, even if dinosaurs did survive the flood, there is no record of them going extinct. Why is that???
Facts, bones, records, fossils and Science shows that it was the Ice Age that wiped out the dinosaurs from the earth 65,000,000 years ago.

What details do you wish to see?
None, personally. I'll find the TRUTH of it all later. it doesn't matter a pin hole in the snow to me which creation version is true. I'll go with "Gap theory/OEC" as my working hypothesis. I see no reason to re-think any of it, and CERTAINLY NOTHING from "Creation Science" so called..

Bob Carabbio I pretty much agree with that statement but what is concerning is when God's Word is compromised to appease the 'intelligentsia' community opening doors to question the veracity of the Gospel account itself.

I have always had a problem with the proven, found bones of animals 1 mile deep in the dirt.

I think that there has to be another explanation beside........the earth is 6000 years old because genealogy says so.

Now, I don't know exactly what it takes to build a planet from nothing, but from what I've learned in my life it would take a lot of matter, a lot of pressure, and a lot of time. Could God have done it in 6000 years...........Of Course He could. But if He did, why in the world did He leave so many clues that say the opposite?????

The "Gap" theory is plausible to me.
The idea of an earth before Genesis is also plausible.
The idea of a flood before Genesis Creation is also plausible. Notice in Genesis 1:2 that there was already water on the earth as God hovered "over the waters".

Actually.....I do not care one little bit.

Not to be argumentative in any way at all, but for the earth to be 6000 years old, a few things have to be considered.

First, man had to have lived with and around dinosaurs. The question then must be, why has there never been any human bones found with dinosaur bones????

Second, How did Noah fit all the thousands of prehistoric creatures besides dinosaurs onto the ark?

Third, even if dinosaurs did survive the flood, there is no record of them going extinct. Why is that???
Facts, bones, records, fossils and Science shows that it was the Ice Age that wiped out the dinosaurs from the earth 65,000,000 years ago.

Hello Major;

You wrote - First, man had to have lived with and around dinosaurs. The question then must be, why has there never been any human bones found with dinosaur bones????

I thought about that. To defend science (who questions God's creationism) if they can defend millions of years, then they should have the means to pull human bones, DNA?, teeth, from dinosaur bones.

God's perfect blueprint of measurement was given to Noah and designed for the true pairs of beasts and animals. So perfect that there was just enough room for two mosquitoes.

There are way too many incidences where dinosaur bones are missing other parts of their skeleton, so fake parts are used to complete the dinosaur and displayed in museums for the sake of promoting science. The horrific events in Ice Age according to Earth is a big deal so why wasn't this revealed in the Bible? This would fit in the same category as the parting of the Red Sea.

God bless you, Major. Good stuff to think about.

Hello Major;

You wrote - First, man had to have lived with and around dinosaurs. The question then must be, why has there never been any human bones found with dinosaur bones????

I thought about that. To defend science (who questions God's creationism) if they can defend millions of years, then they should have the means to pull human bones, DNA?, teeth, from dinosaur bones.

God's perfect blueprint of measurement was given to Noah and designed for the true pairs of beasts and animals. So perfect that there was just enough room for two mosquitoes.

There are way too many incidences where dinosaur bones are missing other parts of their skeleton, so fake parts are used to complete the dinosaur and displayed in museums for the sake of promoting science. The horrific events in Ice Age according to Earth is a big deal so why wasn't this revealed in the Bible? This would fit in the same category as the parting of the Red Sea.

God bless you, Major. Good stuff to think about.

Absolutely Science questions Creation ANF Christianity. However.......that does not satisfy MY curiosity. I had those thoughts 50 years ago.
I remember being taught in Sunday School about creation on 6 days and then in Science class we started being shown dinosaur bones.

That is when those ideas popped into my mind. The Creation is 6000 years old but right here in front of me is a 10 million year old bone. ????
So I never doubted the Scriptures, but Science caused me to look deeper.

Yes. The blue print is perfect. Again no question. But for the earth to be 6000 years old, those dinosaurs had to have been on the Ark.

I hear you and everyone I know says exactly that. The bones are faked....the Radio graphs are faked.....the carbon dated is wrong.

Can that be possible? I realize that skeletons are "filled" from the actual bones found. But the point is...those bones and teeth WERE found.

I love a mystery!

The geode is a crystal formation inside a egg shaped rock.
The kit comes with crystal powder which you dissolve and super saturate in hot water solution which when evaporated, forms crystals. This one is purple colour

The 31 different rocks are separate and come in a different compartment already labelled, and there is a handy book to identify them. It's fascinating to read about them and they come from all over the world. The rocks are all different colours and some are multicoloured.

I can list them all if you are interested!

I always found the precious stones mentioned in Revelation 21:19-20 fascinating.

Yes, indeed! Thanks, Lanolin!

There are human fossils, just not as many as dinosaurs but there are some around.
I wouldn't go digging them up just for the sake of it though. Some things are best left buried.

Animals and plants go extinct all the time. In fact more go extinct NOW as we speak.

Back to my rocks though. The box says

Amethyst, banded agate, blue adventurine, citrine, rutilated quartz and sodalite from Brazil
Rose quartz from Madagascar
Howlie, red jasper, unakite and yellow tiger eye from South Africa
Lapis Lazuli from Afghanistan
Ruby from Tanzania
All other parts...China.

Actually there are 36 stones in my kit. I got natural stones (unpolished) and polished. I will list the first lot which is natural

Natural Stones

Amazonite
Amethyst
Desert Rose
Iceland Spar
Jadeite
Opal
Pumice
Pyrite
Rose Quartz
Specularite
Sunstone
Talc

They are all minerals except for Pumice which is igneous rock, Desert Rose which is sedimentary rock.
Of all of them NZ has pumice, mostly found because of the volcano erupted that is now Lake Taupo.

Agreed. Same applies to the start of the day as well!
What in scripture leads you to believe it wasn't one day? Do you think God incapable of this? As it reads, it gives an order and finishes with the first day and the second and so on.

Bob Carabbio I pretty much agree with that statement but what is concerning is when God's Word is compromised to appease the 'intelligentsia' community opening doors to question the veracity of the Gospel account itself.
When God's WORD doesn't actually address an issue in detail, then the only thing that's COMPROMISED is Man's attempts at rationalizing his "theologies" out of his own wisdom.

Back