Revival.

crossnote

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
1. What is it?
2. Is it aimed at the Church to 'wake them up' or at unbelievers to 'raise them from the dead'?
3. Is it a complete sovereign act of God or does man have an effective role in it, or is the contributing actions of man (e.g. prayer) just preliminary moves of God preparing for revival?
4. How needful today?
5. Differences between true and fake revival?

1. What is it?
2. Is it aimed at the Church to 'wake them up' or at unbelievers to 'raise them from the dead'?
3. Is it a complete sovereign act of God or does man have an effective role in it, or is the contributing actions of man (e.g. prayer) just preliminary moves of God preparing for revival?
4. How needful today?

Good question!

Revival refers to a spiritual reawakening!

YES. It is aimed at and is for those who have become complacent and lazy.

God, through His Holy Spirit, calls us to revival.

Revival does not come because a church sets a date and invites a preacher to come and speak for a couple of days. IF.....IF the local pastor is PREACHING the Word of God as it is written to men in the power of the Holy Spirit......there is then NO need to set a date and invite a different preacher.

I hope you understand what I am saying her, but REAL Revival is much needed in America today.

Revelation 3:1-6 describes the church today in the USA. It is a church that goes through the motions outwardly, but there is nothing underneath. It is a picture of nominal Christianity, outwardly prosperous, busy with the externals of religious activity, but devoid of spiritual life and power. Revival helps to resuscitate spiritual life and get the focus away from new buildings and projects and onto the reason why those things are needed.....JESUS!

TIME!

Man made revivals last about as long as the evangelists last sermon. When he leaves, it is back top normal.

Holy spirit lead revivals are PRAYED down and PREACHED UP with power and enthusiasm that comes from the Holy Spirit and not the man.

Revival does not come because a church sets a date and invites a preacher to come and speak for a couple of days. IF.....IF the local pastor is PREACHING the Word of God as it is written to men in the power of the Holy Spirit......there is then NO need to set a date and invite a different preacher.
You mean we are to tear down that sign outside the Church building that states..."Revival here next Sunday under the auspices of the Most Honorable Reverend ElRoy M. Jones III (Bingo to follow)"?

1. What is it?
4. How needful today?

Hello crossnote;

Great questions!
I love fried chicken and potato salad! I learned there is a restaurant called Revival and located on Church Street. lol!

1. What is it? Revival is when Christians gather (and from where I stand,) I love to see the glow on their faces, and at once fall into humbled hearts as we come together in a Oneness of the Spirit.

There is a time, Let it out shout to God in Heaven! and there is a solemn time of Adoration to our God.

2. Is it aimed at the Church to 'wake them up' or at unbelievers to 'raise them from the dead'? I have witnessed revival aimed at all but in particular the "spiritually dead," and I'm blessed they were there, the spiritually dead meaning, worship and prayer to our God should not be a burden, but a revival.

3. Is it a complete sovereign act of God or does man have an effective role in it, or is the contributing actions of man (e.g. prayer) just preliminary moves of God preparing for revival? Yes. Revival is God's Hand, and our meeting with God is part of His complete sovereignty. Especially as man responds to God with an active, effective role as they draw unto Him in worship. I always believe God is in this place, whether in my private room, car, in the sanctuary. God inhabits our praises, worship, revival.

4. How needful today? More so then, and more so today! In my job Christians who are discouraged have no hope in revival. I share my story and offer them to join in revival, when God comes down to meet us.

5. Differences between true and fake revival? The last 4 questions are my personal experience and witness of true revival. The fake revivals my wife and I have witnessed is a long, sad one.
5a. When the minister drums up emotion of a special event that is going to take place, but doesn't mention God as the focal point.
5b. The preacher loves "whoopin", a term used when the speaker raises the tone of their voice not spiritually but emotionally, drawing a frenzy, followed by moving music with glittering lights.

5c. Emphasizing works, but not including fervent prayer.
5d. Announcement of a great potluck after the (false) revival.
5e. After the revival there is no followup.
5f. The revival has no engagement or relevance with the community.
5g. Seriously, where is God in all this?

I have to admit, we would stay, politely, and sum it up as a program event, at other times we would quietly leave, especially when we didn't feel the presence of God. God is Revival.

God bless you, crossnote and thank you for posting this topic.

Is there anything in the bible that speaks about Revival?

Aren't we spiritually reawaken by the Lord Jesus Christ and He gives life abundantly?

John 10:10

The robber comes only to steal and to kill and to destroy. I came so they might have life, a great full life.

The thief does not come except to steal, and to kill, and to destroy. I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly.

Aren't we spiritually reawaken by the Lord Jesus Christ and He gives life abundantly?

The robber comes only to steal and to kill and to destroy. I came so they might have life, a great full life.

The thief does not come except to steal, and to kill, and to destroy. I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly.

Hello MatthewG;

No, the word revival is not in the Bible, however, Jesus does give us many examples of revival, reference Acts 2:1-2. Revival is when God shows up and inhabits our praises of Him.

In John 10:10 we are spiritually awaken as Christ abundantly offers us love, forgiveness and His guidance as opposed to the thief who robs us of eternal life.

God bless you, brother and your family.

Often we see it in the Old Testament, especially when the long lost scroll of God's Word had been found, read and repentance ensued.
In the NT we see it at Pentecost...
Acts 2:37-41 (KJV) Now when they heard this, (Peter's message) they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do? Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call. And with many other words did he testify and exhort, saying, Save yourselves from this untoward generation. Then they that gladly received his word were baptized: and the same day there were added unto them about three thousand souls.

We are re-awakened (revived) at the receiving of the Gospel, but often there is a 'slipping'.

Revelation 3:2-3 (KJV) Be watchful, and strengthen the things which remain, that are ready to die: for I have not found thy works perfect before God. Remember therefore how thou hast received and heard, and hold fast, and repent. If therefore thou shalt not watch, I will come on thee as a thief, and thou shalt not know what hour I will come upon thee.

Hello Crossnote,

Thank you for sharing that with me; maybe that is why it is always good to be in relationship with God every single day, you never know when the Lord will come back to get you and death falls upon us. Though it is never nothing that what you do for God, but rather what God does through us by giving us a spirit and a tender responsive heart. Would be best to have him come back with you and your heart not have any hate for anyone, and upon arrival only say God it was nothing that I could ever personally do but ah yes, yet your Son Jesus Christ and what He had done for us and through us by your love in which you shared to the whole world!

:)

1. What is it?
4. How needful today?
It would be interesting to know how and where the word revival started. I think of it more as a what some call a Charismatic tradition as weekly schedued or when ever the group meets .

I would say a reformation that bring restoration like repentance .

1. What is it?
4. How needful today?

2.) Aimed at professing Christians who aren't practicing, that need to wake up and realize they aren't in the Kings clothing.

3.) It's an act of God but requires seeing what we are before God, so perhaps more symbiotic from our viewpoint at least.

4.) We've a desperate need for revival in the West. Desperate.

5.) I don't know, I've not seen a revival in my lifetime. Persecution will speed it along, and separate the goats from the sheep - always does. That is always when the true Church grows.

Often we see it in the Old Testament, especially when the long lost scroll of God's Word had been found, read and repentance ensued.
In the NT we see it at Pentecost...
Acts 2:37-41 (KJV) Now when they heard this, (Peter's message) they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do? Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call. And with many other words did he testify and exhort, saying, Save yourselves from this untoward generation. Then they that gladly received his word were baptized: and the same day there were added unto them about three thousand souls.

We are re-awakened (revived) at the receiving of the Gospel, but often there is a 'slipping'.

Revelation 3:2-3 (KJV) Be watchful, and strengthen the things which remain, that are ready to die: for I have not found thy works perfect before God. Remember therefore how thou hast received and heard, and hold fast, and repent. If therefore thou shalt not watch, I will come on thee as a thief, and thou shalt not know what hour I will come upon thee.

I think these are good verses for today:

Should I not punish them for this?" declares the LORD. "Should I not avenge myself on such a nation as this? An astonishing and horrible thing has been committed in the land: The prophets prophesy falsely, and the priests rule by their own power; and My people love to have it so. But what will you do at the end?” Jeremiah 5:29-31

In Jeremiah 6 God says that is a lesson for us all, for all the nations. God called them to sound the alarm that destruction was coming and they needed to repent in sackcloth and ashes mourning as for the loss of an only son...

I'm thinking lately it's time, although I likely don't even know why I think that. But I think we need as Christians to more than we are now - though I don't know what. But I do look around and wonder, are we really better than they?

I don't think so... at least not our public face.

Good question!

Revival refers to a spiritual reawakening!

YES. It is aimed at and is for those who have become complacent and lazy.

God, through His Holy Spirit, calls us to revival.

I hope you understand what I am saying her, but REAL Revival is much needed in America today.

Revelation 3:1-6 describes the church today in the USA. It is a church that goes through the motions outwardly, but there is nothing underneath. It is a picture of nominal Christianity, outwardly prosperous, busy with the externals of religious activity, but devoid of spiritual life and power. Revival helps to resuscitate spiritual life and get the focus away from new buildings and projects and onto the reason why those things are needed.....JESUS!

TIME!

Man made revivals last about as long as the evangelists last sermon. When he leaves, it is back top normal.

Holy spirit lead revivals are PRAYED down and PREACHED UP with power and enthusiasm that comes from the Holy Spirit and not the man.
I really wonder though if we shall see a revival as in older times, when the culture and society itself for a time turned back to God, as my take is that there shall be a mass movement of God to save souls into the Kingdom at end times, but not so much affecting culture/society, as they will get darker and dimmer!

I really wonder though if we shall see a revival as in older times, when the culture and society itself for a time turned back to God, as my take is that there shall be a mass movement of God to save souls into the Kingdom at end times, but not so much affecting culture/society, as they will get darker and dimmer!

Honestly? I'm with you on that - while we have a desperate need for one, I'm not certain if we will ever see one again.

Because your right, we've peaked... if a Christian from the first century could see our lives, our unwalled cities, our medical care, our lifespans, they would think this much like the New Heaven and the New earth.. I'd think they'd be shocked really...

At the same time there's such a degeneration of souls, that I see a downhill slide at this point... a serious one at that as we've reached a tipping point. It's like the enemy at the gates, and we are surrounded.

If we as nations pull out of this, it will be God's Hand alone that does. Although I wonder how many generations thought the same before us, but if they could see us now? They'd think their enemy saints...

It does not seem to be going to happen brother. Of course that is in God's hands but with church attendance falling.....I just do not see it happening.

It's hard to envision a revival of God's Word without having a positive affect on it's culture and society.

It's hard to envision a revival of God's Word without having a positive affect on it's culture and society.

Calling people out of the world may be effective, and may not be.

There are two general views on the end times,

1.) Says Christianity will affect society until society gets better and better and reach some kind of utopia...

2.) Says: society at one point will decline as if in freefall - think when the one who restrains stops restraining from scripture for this 2 Thessalonians 2:7

Satan as to this point is very limited in scope - God is only allowing Him to go so far. The nations can hear the Gospel, understand it, and be saved as it stands today. ONE DAY, he will act without restraint as in the time of Noah, and the nations (gentiles as opposed to God's people) will be completely deceived once more.

This later view may seem pessimistic to some, but it does seem to be indicated in Scripture.

And I also think this larger overview is descriptive enough to fit many different eschatological positions in similar fashion, so it's a fairly straightforward overview.

Last edited:
Calling people out of the world may be effective, and may not be.

There are two general views on the end times,

1.) Says Christianity will affect society until society gets better and better and reach some kind of utopia...

2.) Says: society at one point will decline as if in freefall - think when the one who restrains stops restraining from scripture for this 2 Thessalonians 2:7

Satan as to this point is very limited in scope - God is only allowing Him to go so far. The nations can hear the Gospel, understand it, and be saved as it stands today. ONE DAY, he will act without restraint as in the time of Noah, and the nations (gentiles as opposed to God's people) will be completely deceived once more.

This later view may seem pessimistic to some, but it does seem to be indicated in Scripture.

And I also think this larger overview is descriptive enough to fit many different eschatological positions in similar fashion, so it's a fairly straightforward overview.
Looking around at our culture and especially events in the Middle East, I would pick Door#2.
But I would still contend that IF there were a revival, it would have a positive impact on the culture in which it occurred. I can't help but think of the Reformation and the resulting uptick in Arts and Literature.
(Example: We wouldn't want to compare the works of Bach and his Sonatas with that of the Beatles, or the works of Rembrandt with Dada Art, would we?)

Back