Revival.

Agreed - IF you aren't familiar with what the Bible says, you're FAIR GAME for deception. The problem, of course, is that everybody (you and me included) have INTERPRETATIONS.

Bob....I am not going to debate this with anyone. There is what the Bible literally says.....and then there is what ""We" think or better sid, WANT it to have said.

I am a "Literalist" Bob. When the Bible says something will "Cease" then that is what it means. When the Bible says that something will come to and end then that is what it means.

I do not have to interpret that or try to explain it.....I just have to read it and accept it!

The disciples waited for it to come at the appointed time, and there's nothing forbidding US to ask for it. I did, and when it happened many things changed. Doesn't matter for you, since you don't even believe in it to begin with.

Bob.....we do not have to wait on the Holy Spirit to come now. He comes and fills the believer at the moment of conversion.

The disciples waited because Jesus told them to in Luke 24:49. They had to wait because Pentecost is an Old Testament Festival day which only happens on a specific SUNDAY! They had to wait 40 days until THAT day is the reason why the wait happened.

Today, the filling is instantaneous with salvation!

Titus 3:5 (ESV)..........
"he saved us, not because of works done by us in righteousness, but according to his own mercy, by the washing of regeneration and renewal of the Holy Spirit,"

1 Corinthiens 12.11 (ESV)
"All these are empowered by one and the same Spirit, who apportions to each one individually as he wills."

Its not in the Bible, as all of us were baptized by the same Holy Spirit when saved!
Some get saved soon or later I don't think every single person gets saved all at the same time ALL the time lol.
Preachers like to pronounce it so, but sometimes they are off the mark on that one.

God can save you when you are at home in bed all by yourself.

Bob.....we do not have to wait on the Holy Spirit to come now. He comes and fills the believer at the moment of conversion.
Of course he does - that's what makes us Christians and changes us. Biblically THAT happened as recorded at John 20:22 when Jesus imparted the Spirit to them the evening of the Resurrection.

Acts 2:4 was specifically called an "Enduement (a clothing) with power, not an infilling.
The disciples waited because Jesus told them to in Luke 24:49. They had to wait because Pentecost is an Old Testament Festival day which only happens on a specific SUNDAY! They had to wait 40 days until THAT day is the reason why the wait happened.
That's the cessationist rationalization for the event.

Bob....I am not going to debate this with anyone. There is what the Bible literally says.....and then there is what ""We" think or better sid, WANT it to have said.

I am a "Literalist" Bob. When the Bible says something will "Cease" then that is what it means. When the Bible says that something will come to and end then that is what it means.

I do not have to interpret that or try to explain it.....I just have to read it and accept it!
But you still have to demonstrate that "That Perfect" has come. The Standard cessationist assumption is that the BIBLE is what "Perfect" has come.

Today, the filling is instantaneous with salvation!

Titus 3:5 (ESV)..........
"he saved us, not because of works done by us in righteousness, but according to his own mercy, by the washing of regeneration and renewal of the Holy Spirit,"

1 Corinthiens 12.11 (ESV)
"All these are empowered by one and the same Spirit, who apportions to each one individually as he wills."
Pentacost was a one time Event, as that was when the Church was birthed on earth, and the book of Acts historical record of the transition from the old to new Covenant. Not meant to be the textbook on our theology, as we have the Epistles for all of that!

Signs and wonders were performed by the Apostles of the lord Jesus, and do not see any Apostles alive today!

Of course he does - that's what makes us Christians and changes us. Biblically THAT happened as recorded at John 20:22 when Jesus imparted the Spirit to them the evening of the Resurrection.

Acts 2:4 was specifically called an "Enduement (a clothing) with power, not an infilling.

That's the cessationist rationalization for the event.
Paul commands us to keep seeking to be refilled by the Holy Spirit, but never to seek Baptism of/by Him!

But you still have to demonstrate that "That Perfect" has come. The Standard cessationist assumption is that the BIBLE is what "Perfect" has come.
We do not hold that God commissioned any prophets/Apostles after John passed away, so none gifted with those sign gifts, but other gifts still operating still! And am not anti tongues today, but am against them if just gibberish and no real language, and also against them being the evidence of a so called baptism in holy Ghost second act of grace!

Paul commands us to keep seeking to be refilled by the Holy Spirit, but never to seek Baptism of/by Him!
Word games. A Christian has the Holy Spirit indwelling their spirit. SInce we HAVE NO POWER in and of ourselves, the Power for ministry is an "Enduement" - not an infilling.

We do not hold that God commissioned any prophets/Apostles after John passed away, so none gifted with those sign gifts, but other gifts still operating still! And am not anti tongues today, but am against them if just gibberish and no real language, and also against them being the evidence of a so called baptism in holy Ghost second act of grace!
Yup that's the OTHER popular cessationist rationalization. "No more gifts after the last apostle died". There's no such thing as a "Sign Gift" (another "rationalization") there's just CHARISMA for ministry as needed. But then there the "Mature Church in Ephesians" which has never existed - yet, with Apostles and Prophets and Teachers and Pastors - etc.

Standard Cessationist rhetoric. Who's "WE"??

1. What is it?
2. Is it aimed at the Church to 'wake them up' or at unbelievers to 'raise them from the dead'?
3. Is it a complete sovereign act of God or does man have an effective role in it, or is the contributing actions of man (e.g. prayer) just preliminary moves of God preparing for revival?
4. How needful today?
5. Differences between true and fake revival?
I think this thread is running off the rails, let's see if we can refocus.

I think this thread is running off the rails, let's see if we can refocus.

I totally agree!!!!!

1. I think that a Christian revival can be thought of as a renewed passion for God and devotion to Him.

2. The CHURCH! To have a REvivial one must 1st be VIVED!

3. It must come from the Holy Spirit!

4. Very needed.

5. True revival involves proper preaching God’s word & True revival involves conviction, confession of sin, and repentance.

Real and true revival has nothing to do with emotions and signs and wonders! ALL of those things are copied by Satan and used by him to get our eyes off of Christ and His Word!

Bob......why don;t you start a Pentecostal believers thread on your opinions???? This thread is not about "Continuation or Cessationalist"!!!!
The thread is about REVIVAL. There was the Pentecostal revival in '06, and the Charismatic outpouring in '64 (or so) was a World Wide revival. so It appears I'm right ON topic. It's up to you to demonstrate WHY the two I mentioned (and possibly others weren't real revivals if you think they were false.

Back