Saved & Holy Spirit

OT believers had faith in God directly, they were His chosen people. The Jews had many names for God; Jehovah Jireh, El Shaddai, El Olam, Jehovah Shalom, Adonai, etc.; as well as "the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob", and what God called Himself, "I AM".
Abraham and Jacob both saw God in human form, presumably as pre-incarnate Jesus, and they called Him "Lord", or "Jehovah".

How can you tell? In what qualitative way is a believer who supposedly has the Holy Spirit different from a typical non-believer?

The bible tells us so. In Acts, after Pentecost, we see that everyone who received salvation also experienced the subsequent baptism or infilling of the Holy Spirit with power.

Acts 8:17
Then Peter and John laid their hands upon these believers, and they received the Holy Spirit.

Acts 8:19
“Let me have this power, too,” he exclaimed, “so that when I lay my hands on people, they will receive the Holy Spirit!”

Acts 10:47
“Can anyone object to their being baptized, now that they have received the Holy Spirit just as we did?”

Acts 19:2-7
“Did you receive the Holy Spirit when you believed?” he asked them.

“No,” they replied, “we haven’t even heard that there is a Holy Spirit.”

3 “Then what baptism did you experience?” he asked.

And they replied, “The baptism of John.”

4 Paul said, “John’s baptism called for repentance from sin. But John himself told the people to believe in the one who would come later, meaning Jesus.”

5 As soon as they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. 6 Then when Paul laid his hands on them, the Holy Spirit came on them, and they spoke in other tongues and prophesied. 7 There were about twelve men in all.

The bible tells us so. In Acts, after Pentecost, we see that everyone who received salvation also experienced the subsequent baptism or infilling of the Holy Spirit with power.

Acts 8:17
Then Peter and John laid their hands upon these believers, and they received the Holy Spirit.

Acts 8:19
“Let me have this power, too,” he exclaimed, “so that when I lay my hands on people, they will receive the Holy Spirit!”

Acts 10:47
“Can anyone object to their being baptized, now that they have received the Holy Spirit just as we did?”

Acts 19:2-7
“Did you receive the Holy Spirit when you believed?” he asked them.

“No,” they replied, “we haven’t even heard that there is a Holy Spirit.”

3 “Then what baptism did you experience?” he asked.

And they replied, “The baptism of John.”

4 Paul said, “John’s baptism called for repentance from sin. But John himself told the people to believe in the one who would come later, meaning Jesus.”

5 As soon as they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. 6 Then when Paul laid his hands on them, the Holy Spirit came on them, and they spoke in other tongues and prophesied. 7 There were about twelve men in all.
That does not answer the question. All that states is that people who have been dead for 1900 years had the Holy Spirit in some fashion.

That does not answer the question. All that states is that people who have been dead for 1900 years had the Holy Spirit in some fashion.

"In some fashion"? Please consult the scriptures I posted in all their full context and let Holy Spirit direct your thoughts and drive out unbelief---to teach you His truth.

People who have experienced the anointing of the Holy Spirit live with His power poured over their spiritual gifting that enables them to walk in those giftings with great ease and great success, without the effort required by those who have the same gifts but not the anointing.

To be saved and enter the Kingdom of Heaven one must be born from above (become His child - John 1:12; John 3:3-8; and more) and having the Holy Spirit IS essential to ones being saved and being His child (Romans 8:9)....no Spirit (?) not His child!!! Simple! All else is commentary....

The same way we are saved, the shed blood of Jesus Christ. They had a faith given to them by the Spirit of God similar to ours, although they did not know the exact name of the one God would send.

We are to always look at the OT through the revelations and truths found in the NT. A person in the NT is saved and has faith in God because Jesus died for them. Since his payment was an eternal one, he also paid for the sheep who lived before he came, those who were given a faith similar to ours, the chosen and elect of God, his Holy nation Israel.
Did the faith come after regeneration? Which would mean, OT saints should have been indwelled by Holy Spirit

Then it gets really tricky when you have some Christians tell you that unless you speak in tongues per Acts 2:4 then you're not saved as you do not have evidence of being baptized with the Holy Spirit.

Then it gets really tricky when you have some Christians tell you that unless you speak in tongues per Acts 2:4 then you're not saved as you do not have evidence of being baptized with the Holy Spirit.

The gift of speaking in tongues is only one of a whole array of gifts that Holy Spirit will bestow on His people---but tongues is the most easily observable gift. I've been born again for 52 years, but I didn't receive the gift of tongues until about 1997! Before that, there were other gifts working in and through my life. So, don't accept the song and dance that certain groups try to teach, that tongues is a sign of salvation in a person. It is not that, nor is it a sign of one being baptized in the Holy Spirit.

That said, I believe that every single person who experiences the baptism--even without observable signs that one has received it---CAN choose to speak in tongues. All it is, really, is one submitting his vocal cords to the power of Holy Spirit to speak to God alone through your spirit, bypassing your mind and entering the throne room directly.

Even if you never experience this wonderful release, it is not an indication that you are in an unsaved state, nor that you have not experienced the baptism of power---which has other manifestations than just one.

The gift of speaking in tongues is only one of a whole array of gifts that Holy Spirit will bestow on His people---but tongues is the most easily observable gift. I've been born again for 52 years, but I didn't receive the gift of tongues until about 1997! Before that, there were other gifts working in and through my life. So, don't accept the song and dance that certain groups try to teach, that tongues is a sign of salvation in a person. It is not that, nor is it a sign of one being baptized in the Holy Spirit.

That said, I believe that every single person who experiences the baptism--even without observable signs that one has received it---CAN choose to speak in tongues. All it is, really, is one submitting his vocal cords to the power of Holy Spirit to speak to God alone through your spirit, bypassing your mind and entering the throne room directly.

Even if you never experience this wonderful release, it is not an indication that you are in an unsaved state, nor that you have not experienced the baptism of power---which has other manifestations than just one.

I definitely agree with you.

Back