Should Christians Support The Death Penalty?

Those who object to the death penalty are ignoring the Bible, or worse, misrepresenting the Bible. The Bible shows that the death penalty is an appropriate government tool. The death penalty was used very frequently in NT times, even unjustly against my Lord, and yet not a word if objection to executions is found in the NT.

In Romans 1, Paul meant those offenders deserved to be executed. He didn't mean some self-obsessed hatred that says "everybody deserves to die" therefor you think you've clear yourself of being an advocate of justice. Wrong again.

Those of you who object to the death penalty also ignore the costs of not executing the worst criminals. Like Pilate who killed Jesus, you wash you hands of the innocent victims of criminals which you help create. Sorry, guilt doesn't wash off except through repentance. And, you are not repentant.

You take your values from the ungodly. They are the opponents of the Death Penalty. They have no compassion for the innocent and no sense of righteous judgement.

Question, you were under a sentence of death for your crimes against The King. He commuted your sentence by Grace.

Should he make sure that justice is served by removing that ruling or should he stay his hand?

If you vote for the latter, please remember that when you wish to meet death for death.

The death penalty was removed for all former criminals of The Kingdom. What warning does the King give to followers that do not give mercy as they were shown mercy?

Hint: it involves tormentors.

I don't think death penalty is something Christians should support. When I was immature spiritually, I thought death penalty is right and is supported by Bible. As Holy Spirit made me understand the purpose of OT and NT, it all made sense. If someone is looking into OT and says death penalty should be supported, we should pray that Holy Spirit will put light on the Word and reveal the true meaning to that person!!

I don't think death penalty is something Christians should support. When I was immature spiritually, I thought death penalty is right and is supported by Bible. As Holy Spirit made me understand the purpose of OT and NT, it all made sense. If someone is looking into OT and says death penalty should be supported, we should pray that Holy Spirit will put light on the Word and reveal the true meaning to that person!!

I was of the same idea as a youth.

I believed that you could help two ways, save a life is good. Take a life out that does evil is good too; as it saves lives.

But it isn't about what WE want. WE are not on the throne.

It is about The King wants.

So I'll leave the killing up to a person that knows with full clarity who needs it and who doesn't. Never makes a mistake
and knows the outcome of what happens after.

I cannot see all ends, so I differ to someone who does. My King.

Question, you were under a sentence of death for your crimes against The King. He commuted your sentence by Grace.

You stand there appealing to God's grace while ignoring God's righteous decrees. If I do certain things, I deserve to be executed as per God's word. Spiritual salvation and justice in the world are two different issues.

Blood is in your hands, because your mercy for monsters is cruelty to the innocent. God's mercy does not put the innocent at risk. Not one person God pardons on judgement day will commit a sin again. And, not one unrepentant person has any chance of avoiding God's wrath.

You need to repent for that blood on your hands, and not vicariously spill any more blood by opposing God's decrees and facilitating crimes against innocent people.

As I see it, the main problem with the death penalty discussion is that the real issues and their permutations tend to be ignored.

Against:
Innocent people get condemned (all too often).
The death penalty is not applied evenly across racial and economic lines (i.e rich whites commit horrendous crimes too
but rarely get severe sentences like poor blacks do).

For:
Certain criminals cannot be reformed and will always be a threat to those around them.
It is impossible to justify the costs of keeping dangerous and completely unproductive people alive.

As I see it, the main problem with the death penalty discussion is that the real issues and their permutations tend to be ignored.

Against:
Innocent people get condemned (all too often).
The death penalty is not applied evenly across racial and economic lines (i.e rich whites commit horrendous crimes too
but rarely get severe sentences like poor blacks do).

For:
Certain criminals cannot be reformed and will always be a threat to those around them.
It is impossible to justify the costs of keeping dangerous and completely unproductive people alive.

This is even outside of the theological argument, the State still has no moral authority to do this, especially while so many have been put to death despite their innocence.

You stand there appealing to God's grace while ignoring God's righteous decrees. If I do certain things, I deserve to be executed as per God's word. Spiritual salvation and justice in the world are two different issues.

Blood is in your hands, because your mercy for monsters is cruelty to the innocent. God's mercy does not put the innocent at risk. Not one person God pardons on judgement day will commit a sin again. And, not one unrepentant person has any chance of avoiding God's wrath.

You need to repent for that blood on your hands, and not vicariously spill any more blood by opposing God's decrees and facilitating crimes against innocent people.

Please let me know in the gospels where the command is for US to punish the wicked?

Then why doesn't God take them out?

If he knows all things. He knows there is no reformation, they are wastes of space and dangerous, why not be done with them?

He can do all things. Why does he need a bunch of fallible, short sighted, ex-sinners to do his dirty work?

Hint: Matthew 26:53

Not arguing with you, just trying to illuminate that God does not need us. He really doesn't.

We are no longer under the Old Testament, the Old Testament Law is no longer applicable for/to us today???

Then pray tell, in the New Testament Jer 31:33 what Law is God placing in our souls and hearts and causing us to remember?

So if what you are saying is true, then there is no longer a way open to the Tree of Life because that was in the OT, so it's not for us today, or the promise to Abraham about children, we needed to tear out portions of Romans because that was from the OT, and don't forget the promise about the Promised Land, so let's join in and throw the Israelis out of there because that was OT, ...or how about justification by faith, that was OT, ...and the Cross, THE CROSS, that was OT, because the NT didn't start until the day of Pentecost, ...do you see how ridiculous what you are saying is?

So then this is no longer true,

God is not a man, that he should lie; neither the son of man, that he should repent: hath he said, and shall he not do it? or hath he spoken, and shall he not make it good? Num 23:19

and since that is no longer true then this is no longer valid,

And surely your blood of your lives will I require; at the hand of every beast will I require it, and at the hand of man; at the hand of every man's brother will I require the life of man. Whoso sheds man's blood, by man shall his blood be shed: for in the image of God made he man. Gen 9:5, 6

So no one on this forum is a descendant of Shem, Ham or Japheth,

And God spake unto Noah, and to his sons with him, saying, And I, behold, I establish my covenant with you, and with your seed after you Gen 9:8, 9

And these old eyes are deceiving me and that is not a rainbow I see in the sky,

And God said, This is the token of the covenant which I make between me and you and every living creature that is with you, for perpetual generations: I do set my bow in the cloud, and it shall be for a token of a covenant between me and the earth. And it shall come to pass, when I bring a cloud over the earth, that the bow shall be seen in the cloud: Gen 9:12, 14

We don't judge the Word of God, it's the Word of God that judges us Heb 4:12 and anyone that tries to judge the Word is just revealing their rebellious heart against God!

Beloved, who is bewitching you here on this forum with all of the unBiblical junk we have been seeing lately? Gal 3:1

To the law and to the testimony: if they speak not according to this word, it is because there is no light in them. Isa 8:20

For I know this, that after my departing shall grievous wolves enter in among you, not sparing the flock. Also of your own selves shall men arise, speaking perverse things, to draw away disciples after them. Act 20:29, 30

He who has an ear hear what the Spirit is saying to the Church!

Be careful and prudent,

Gene

Please let me know in the gospels where the command is for US to punish the wicked?

You know that God's righteous decrees included the use of the Death Penalty.

Executions were carried out every day in Jerusalem. Archeology and historical records shows mind-boggling number of people were executed in Jesus' day. Yet, not a word of objection is found in the Gospels. Yet, you ask me where we're told to punish wicked? Wrong question! Where does the NT say that certain offenders shouldn't be executed by the government?

And, still the blood of the innocent is on your hands and you refuse to repent.

Paul wrote about the authority of government quite a bit.
Romans 13:4
For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil.

Then why doesn't God take them out?.

For the same reason He hasn't killed all of us. For we are just as guilty of sin as any other criminal.

If he knows all things. He knows there is no reformation, they are wastes of space and dangerous, why not be done with them?.

Why not? I'll help pay for the ammo. 35 cents for one 9mm round is a lot cheaper than $50,000 per year per inmate.

He can do all things. Why does he need a bunch of fallible, short sighted, ex-sinners to do his dirty work?.

You are supposed to be His servant, no? Well, serve. Everybody spends their life asking why nothing is getting done.
God asks "why aren't YOU doing anything?

Not arguing with you, just trying to illuminate that God does not need us. He really doesn't.

You point is pointless. Yeah, He don't need us. So?

Paul wrote about the authority of government quite a bit.
Romans 13:4
For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil.

To put it into context I think Romans 13 itself, which concerns submission to government and authorities, needs be read.

I think it important, in comprehending the context of Paul's letter to the Romans, that Paul was a Roman by birth. And a Pharisee.
Governing authorities were his primary concern most of his adult life. Especially as a Pharisee when he was pursuing for prosecution and execution the first Christians under the charge of blasphemy. Because those first Christians subject to his authority would qualify, in following the teachings of the Jesus the Temple had executed for blasphemy, apostate Jews for renouncing Judaism and adopting the new teachings of Christ.

You know that God's righteous decrees included the use of the Death Penalty.

Executions were carried out every day in Jerusalem. Archeology and historical records shows mind-boggling number of people were executed in Jesus' day. Yet, not a word of objection is found in the Gospels. Yet, you ask me where we're told to punish wicked? Wrong question! Where does the NT say that certain offenders shouldn't be executed by the government?

And, still the blood of the innocent is on your hands and you refuse to repent.

What the government of Mammon does is not what we are to be focused on.

As Christians, we are called to give honour to governments within the context of the Two Great Commands.

The death penalty violates the Second Great Command. I cannot with good faith violate the second without violating the first. And I will not violate the Two for any nation in this world.

So I would seek to change that position of the nation if I am able. If I am not then I will let God handle this matter and pray that he sends strong prudence and love to move the hard hearts in that government.

My duty is to My King, not to man. My King commands to love others as myself. I would not want to have the death penalty placed upon me, so too I would not want it for others. Scripture is clear we are to Love others as ourselves.

You do as you must. But my loyalty is to The King.

For the same reason He hasn't killed all of us. For we are just as guilty of sin as any other criminal.

Why not? I'll help pay for the ammo. 35 cents for one 9mm round is a lot cheaper than $50,000 per year per inmate.

You are supposed to be His servant, no? Well, serve. Everybody spends their life asking why nothing is getting done.
God asks "why aren't YOU doing anything?

You point is pointless. Yeah, He don't need us. So?

And as a servant I am Commanded to follow the Two.

I would not want the death penalty placed upon me. It was and The King took it away through Grace.

If he spared me, I will need to spare others as well. Or I am in violation of Matthew 18:34.

He told us quite clearly what would happen if we do not show mercy. Not going there.

To put it into context I think Romans 13 itself, which concerns submission to government and authorities, needs be read.

I think it important, in comprehending the context of Paul's letter to the Romans, that Paul was a Roman by birth. And a Pharisee.
Governing authorities were his primary concern most of his adult life. Especially as a Pharisee when he was pursuing for prosecution and execution the first Christians under the charge of blasphemy. Because those first Christians subject to his authority would qualify, in following the teachings of the Jesus the Temple had executed for blasphemy, apostate Jews for renouncing Judaism and adopting the new teachings of Christ.

Actually if you read down to 13:8, you'll understand what Paul is really getting at.

If you only stop at 13:7, then you allow ANY wicked nation to run amok. That's not our calling.

Actually if you read down to 13:8, you'll understand what Paul is really getting at.

If you only stop at 13:7, then you allow ANY wicked nation to run amok. That's not our calling.
In Romans 13:1-7 Paul is saying we are to submit to authority, in 13:8 he says to owe nothing as in a debt. He is dealing with two different things.

We are no longer under the Old Testament, the Old Testament Law is no longer applicable for/to us today???

Then pray tell, in the New Testament Jer 31:33 what Law is God placing in our souls and hearts and causing us to remember?

So if what you are saying is true, then there is no longer a way open to the Tree of Life because that was in the OT, so it's not for us today, or the promise to Abraham about children, we needed to tear out portions of Romans because that was from the OT, and don't forget the promise about the Promised Land, so let's join in and throw the Israelis out of there because that was OT, ...or how about justification by faith, that was OT, ...and the Cross, THE CROSS, that was OT, because the NT didn't start until the day of Pentecost, ...do you see how ridiculous what you are saying is?

So then this is no longer true,

God is not a man, that he should lie; neither the son of man, that he should repent: hath he said, and shall he not do it? or hath he spoken, and shall he not make it good? Num 23:19

and since that is no longer true then this is no longer valid,

And surely your blood of your lives will I require; at the hand of every beast will I require it, and at the hand of man; at the hand of every man's brother will I require the life of man. Whoso sheds man's blood, by man shall his blood be shed: for in the image of God made he man. Gen 9:5, 6

So no one on this forum is a descendant of Shem, Ham or Japheth,

And God spake unto Noah, and to his sons with him, saying, And I, behold, I establish my covenant with you, and with your seed after you Gen 9:8, 9

And these old eyes are deceiving me and that is not a rainbow I see in the sky,

And God said, This is the token of the covenant which I make between me and you and every living creature that is with you, for perpetual generations: I do set my bow in the cloud, and it shall be for a token of a covenant between me and the earth. And it shall come to pass, when I bring a cloud over the earth, that the bow shall be seen in the cloud: Gen 9:12, 14

We don't judge the Word of God, it's the Word of God that judges us Heb 4:12 and anyone that tries to judge the Word is just revealing their rebellious heart against God!

Beloved, who is bewitching you here on this forum with all of the unBiblical junk we have been seeing lately? Gal 3:1

To the law and to the testimony: if they speak not according to this word, it is because there is no light in them. Isa 8:20

For I know this, that after my departing shall grievous wolves enter in among you, not sparing the flock. Also of your own selves shall men arise, speaking perverse things, to draw away disciples after them. Act 20:29, 30

He who has an ear hear what the Spirit is saying to the Church!

Be careful and prudent,

Gene

The whole of the Law is fulfilled in The Two Great Commands that The King gave us.

The Order of Levite for priesthood has been dismissed. They are unable to give the Good News.

The Order of Melchizedek prior to even Aaron has been restored in Jesus and his priesthood called by The Holy Spirit.

The Word is now living and no longer in the temple locked away in the Holy of Holies.

The King tore down the stumblingblocks that made men fall and caused their hearts to be hard.

The King lifted death from us by Grace. Because we deserved death. He said I would have you live.

The King put his Kingdom into our hearts and took us away from wrestling with flesh.

The Old Wine no longer applies. It was not working. Now we are New Wine Skins and filled with New Wine.

These things The King did to free us from the bondage of sin. The debt of murder. Murder of The King.

In Romans 13:1-7 Paul is saying we are to submit to authority, in 13:8 he says to owe nothing as in a debt. He is dealing with two different things.

It is all one thought.

Submit to the nations while we are here, as The King did.

But never to allow yourself to let their rule cause you to break The Two Great Commands.

The King did not and so we must not as well.

Better to be put to death by these nations than to submit to evil.

But as Christians we MUST follow The King's commands. And forgive others as we were forgiven. This he warned well
what the consequences are in Matthew 18:34-35.

Back