So....what's for supper tonight?

PaducahLuke said:
Hey - Wasn't Baba Ganoush one of them a-rab terrorists? Y'all better watch out if hez commin' over fer dinner. :D

:D Funny.

Baba Ganoush

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baba_ghanoush

The way I make it, it has:

eggplant
tahini
Lemon juice
olive oil
garlic
parsley
salt

Bake the eggplant for about 40 minutes, covered, until soft. Cut off the end, and strip off the skin. Cut up and put all the eggplant in a blender. Blend until blended. Add in 1/4 cup tahini, 1/4 cup lemon juice, 1 tbsp. olive oil, salt, parsley, and garlic powder. Blend until blended. Enjoy with pita bread, veggies, crackers, etc.

Tonight I made it for a dip with the shrimp zingers to cool off the hotness of them. Normally I like spicy things, but I can't handle it being pregnant now. My hubby loves spicy.

IN case anyone is interested in the recipe for the Spicy Shrimp Zingers also......

In pan over medium to low heat, slightly cook in a tiny bit of olive oil: 1 red bell pepper diced and 3 green onions diced. When finished, remove from heat and let cool. Place in large mixing bowl and add: 3 cups diced up cooked shrimp, 1/2 cup flour, 1 tbsp parsley, 1 tbsp lemon juice, 2 tablespoons hot pepper sauce, 2 tbsp. cajun seasoning, 1/2 tsp. salt, 1 egg. Mix well.

Then, cut phyllo dough in half so that you have approx. 6.5 by 17 inch sheets. Use only one sheet at a time, and cover remaining sheets with a damp cloth. Take a sheet, brush olive oil on half. Fold over on itself length-wise. Brush again with olive oil. Spoon some of the shrimp mixture at one end, leaving about an inch space at each side. Fold dough over the mixture. Fold up sides. Roll up the dough so that it looks like an egg roll or spring roll. (Or burrito.) Brush olive oil on it and place seam side down on baking sheet. Repeat.

When finished, bake for approximately 15-25 minutes. When they come out, they are easier eaten with a fork, rather than with your hands.

OR.... if you don't want to brave phyllo dough, you can also try rolling clumps of the shrimp mixture in bread crumbs and frying. I haven't tried this way yet. I like phyllo dough because it holds things together better, and is baked. I don't normally fry things. The recipe book that I use wants them fried in bread crumbs. The phyllo dough substitute is my own variation.

And I thought I was just going to have a meal with My friends, Dinty & Moore, and Chef Boyardee!!!!!!!!!!!!!:(

Just kidding, so who's inviting Me over???????:D

Any time Mike but you will have to dig your way through a lot of snow.... LOL... and then be rewarded with Chef .... Boyardee....

He He :D:D:D:):):(:(

Violet - LOL

That reminds me...yesterday when I was Christmas shopping, these kids were talking really loud behind us in the food court.

"If someone comes in and starts shooting," one of them said, "we should all run somewhere safe."

"Where's safe in here?" another one asked.

"Over there," the kid said, pointing at Gyros...it was the only restaurant with no customers waiting. "Just run over to the least popular restaurant and dive behind the counter!"

Made me crack up...I actually like the restaurant.:cool:

I want a Gyro!
:rolleyes:

Mmmmm. I love Gyro's! We had this place here in town that served wonderful ones. I'd go there all the time. Then, once I got really sick after eating there, so I never went again. A few months later they closed down, and I always wondered if I wasn't the only one getting sick there! :eek:

And I thought I was just going to have a meal with My friends, Dinty & Moore, and Chef Boyardee!!!!!!!!!!!!!:(

Just kidding, so who's inviting Me over???????:D

Mike, you sound like my hubby. If it were up to him, he'd dine with DiGiorno and Totino every night. :p:rolleyes: (Pizza and Pizza rolls.)

BW and WW,
We'll go out together for gyros~:)

WW, what a sad state we are in! I think that too, when I am in public, "Where can I hide?"
I saw a man in a hospital stab a nurse and and kill himself.
I almost had a heart attack and they argued how I should get to the emergency room saying I had to go by ambulance!!!
It was right down the hall!

May I please come for some Gyros, and Waffles and Ice Cream, and some French Quarter, New Orleans "Beinget Doughnuts," and some Baklavah, and other such yummies,

with You guys----:D ---( See it'll be: Gyros and Goodie treats --------- for desert )------:D

GYROS

1/2 lb Ground lamb
1/2 lb Ground beef
2 slices semi dried (day old) bread
2 Cloves garlic, chopped fine
2 Tbls Fresh parsley, chopped
1 tsp Salt
1/4 tsp Pepper
1/4 tsp Ground funugreek
1/4 tsp Ground cumin
1 Egg, beaten

TZATZIKI SAUCE
(Yogurt cucumber sauce)

2 Small Cucumbers, Peeled, Seeded & Diced
1 1/4 cup Yogurt
2 Tbls Olive oil
Juice of 1 lemon
4 Garlic cloves, minced
1 Tbls Fresh dill, chopped
White pepper
Salt

TZATZIKI SAUCE
1) Combine yogurt, olive oil, lemon juice, garlic and pepper in a bowl. Cover and refrigerate for one hour.

2) Blend yogurt mixture with a whip until smooth.

3) Dry cucumbers by patting with paper towels.

4) Add Cucumbers and dill to yogurt mixture.

5) Salt and pepper to taste.

GYROS
1) Mix lamb and beef in a glass bowl.

2) Crumb bread into meat mixture.

3) Add Spices and mix well.

4) Stir egg into meat mixture.

5) Form mixture into 2 large patties and place on a medium hot grill for 5 minutes per side or until the Gyros is cooked through.

Serve sliced gyros on warm pita bread with fresh sliced tomatoes, onions and Tzatziki sauce (Yogurt cucumber sauce)

:groupray:

Wow.... Mike that sounds good. When I come back I'm going to try that.

And I love stroganoff too . It always tastes better the next day.

Just like my mom's stew. I have no idea why...but it tastes good when she cooks it...but it gets soooooooo much better overnight!

Tonight? Chili and fried bread. Mmmmm...

May I please come for some Gyros, and Waffles and Ice Cream, and some French Quarter, New Orleans "Beinget Doughnuts," and some Baklavah, and other such yummies,

with You guys----:D ---( See it'll be: Gyros and Goodie treats --------- for desert )------:D

:groupray:

Mike, of course you are invited!
Thank you for the recipe too...I think I will try that~
I think I would substitute roasts instead of ground meat though~

Leftover turkey, leftover mashed potatoes, leftover gravy, leftover stuffing, leftover pies, leftover jello, leftover rolls, leftover cakes, leftover...

I wuvs it!:D

pork roast and gravy, sweet potatoe casrole. homenmde macaroni and cheese, cauliflower broccolli medley in creme sauce, crawfish dressing- bring it on!

Back