Speak Your Mind 2

Bob, Major, I thank the Lord for you and all others here who bring great things to this.

I have attended some of the gatherings of my Messianic Jewish friends, and it's always something of interest when they dance around collectively, just as did the ancient Jews, sing some of the same songs in Hebrew as the Judeo ancients used to sing, etc. The atmosphere had that feel of, "We want to be like them..." I can't seem to shake that incessant vibe I pick up from them. It's almost as if they have completely forgotten that Abraham was a Gentile, and so thus the fact that the Jewish linage didn't crop up from some different set of parents other than Adam and Eve. Many in that group are converts to that "branch" of "Christianity," not actually of Jewish lineage. They wear the traditional Judeo garments with the tassels that we may see being worn by the Jews in Jerusalem today.

Laws and traditions... It all adds up to something that I don't necessarily see as value added to their faith in following Christ. They seem adamant that they know keeping the Law isn't possible. They recognize that, because of salvation that comes only through faith. What I've tried to share with them is what Jesus said..."If you love me, keep my commandments." This is the rub. He didn't say that keeping as much of the Law of Moses will bring reward in Heaven. The commandments the Lord writes on our hearts:

2 Corinthians 3:3 [Forasmuch as ye are] manifestly declared to be the epistle of Christ ministered by us, written not with ink, but with the Spirit of the living God; not in tables of stone, but in fleshy tables of the heart.

The pervasive thinking among them is that this refers to the Law of Moses, for (in their beliefs) there is no other law. It's physical, it's what they can lay their hands upon, which is the tables of stone (so to speak). Living by the Spirit means that He writes His commands and laws upon our hearts, our inward parts:

Job 38:36 Who hath put wisdom in the inward parts? or who hath given understanding to the heart?

Psalm 51:6 Behold, thou desirest truth in the inward parts: and in the hidden [part] thou shalt make me to know wisdom.

Proverbs 20:27 The spirit of man [is] the candle of the LORD, searching all the inward parts of the belly.

Jeremiah 31:33 But this [shall be] the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the LORD, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people.

I can't help but to be left with thoughts about reward in Heaven, and what scripture says about that:

Matthew 5:3-12

3 Blessed [are] the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. 4 Blessed [are] they that mourn: for they shall be comforted. 5 Blessed [are] the meek: for they shall inherit the earth. 6 Blessed [are] they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled. 7 Blessed [are] the merciful: for they shall obtain mercy. 8 Blessed [are] the pure in heart: for they shall see God. 9 Blessed [are] the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God. 10 Blessed [are] they which are persecuted for righteousness' sake: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. 11 Blessed are ye, when [men] shall revile you, and persecute [you], and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake. 12 Rejoice, and be exceeding glad: for great [is] your reward in heaven: for so persecuted they the prophets which were before you.

No mention of the Law of Moses.

Matthew 6:1 Take heed that ye do not your alms before men, to be seen of them: otherwise ye have no reward of your Father which is in heaven.

No mention of the Law of Moses.

We here are on the same page, in that the Law of Moses was for a chosen people at a different time. We are so blessed that the indwelling Lord lived it in our place before taking the penalty upon Himself for our breach of the perfect Law of Moses. Thank you, Jesus, for taking our sins away.

MM

Agreed completely my brother!

Back