Star of David?

Just wondered exactly what this is and if its in the Bible. Its on the Israeli flag and to me it looks like an occult symbol, similar to a swastika. Because its a hexagram, and I know that hexes are used by witches to place curses on people. Pentagrams are also occult.

I dont know, just whenever I see it I get a freaky vibe.
I thought the real symbol is Israel was either a lion or the menorah.

It gained popularity in the 1800s and is derived from the seal of Solomon. The seal of Solomon showed up in the mid evil time period and is found in Islam, Judaism and cult practices.

So in the Jewish sense, it is not an occultic symbol, it is just a recognization of their culture.

The cross is also used in occultic practices, cults have a tendency to "steal" other culture's symbols

Just wondered exactly what this is and if its in the Bible. Its on the Israeli flag and to me it looks like an occult symbol, similar to a swastika. Because its a hexagram, and I know that hexes are used by witches to place curses on people. Pentagrams are also occult.

I dont know, just whenever I see it I get a freaky vibe.
I thought the real symbol is Israel was either a lion or the menorah.

You're not the first person to question its origin and ask whether or not it has a sinister background (and I think people tend to wonder this because it sort of, kind of, resembles a pentagram). But the other thing, like the Lion and the Menorah, the hexagram isn't just used within Judaism, and it was never used within Biblical Judaism (that we know of).

I believe it's oldest recorded date of use is from the 11th century. I don't know too much -- I'm going off of my 7th grade presentation. I remember dressing up as a cobbler from 1941 Warsaw and had to talk about the patch I was wearing that said "Jude" on it.

Why would it be part of jewish culture? I dont really get it.
I get the lion as thats the symbol of Judah..theres scripture for that.
I get the menorah...its the lampstand, the seven candlesticks in the temple, holy of holies etc.
But nowhere do I remember David having a star.

But where is it in the bible?
What is solomons seal?

It's not in the Bible. It's from the 11th century. It's a rabbinic Jewish symbol. No Biblical reference to it. There are theories that it is King Solomon's seal or that is the shape of David's shield...but there's really no certain answer.

I get the menorah...its the lampstand, the seven candlesticks in the temple, holy of holies etc.

The reason why it might not be a lion is because that only points to the tribe of Judah. Levites (like myself) have a different symbol.

I'm not sure that David's star had to have any Biblical origin.
Just an example mind you;
Our table forks have 4 tines. Now as an influential Jew,(which actually I am not) I might order the making of a 7 tined fork for use at an informal feast, but still wanting to have some sort of link to worship.
The Lord never told me to do it, I just thought it would be a good and pious thing to do.
Centuries later people would agonize over what the 7 tined fork represented.
414HYymeIFL.jpg

Not sure what the hexagram or star of David is meant to represent though.
I know the flag looks kinda like a prayer tallit with the blue and white but just not sure about the star. I do recall them putting those stars on Jews in the days of the holocaust..but it might have had its origins before that.
On the nz flag we have stars - the Southern Cross. It is an actual constellation. I don't think the star of David actually corresponds to any star in the sky...or does it? All I can think of is the Star of Bethlehem, but that's different. Also it's quite unusual in the way it's drawn like a hex. Like it's not coloured in or anything.

God actually specified that the israelites use certain things in the temple, I think the seven branched candlestick was one of them. I forget why 7, but it's his holy number I suppose.

No one knows for sure, but it was used in the 1300s, 1400s and 1500s in eastern Europe by the Jewish communities. So it wasn't the Nazis who created it.
Some think it came from a ring which is thought to be Solomon's. Rings were designed to create a stamp in wax to seal a document.
Some think it came from a shield support design developed in the first few centuries A.D. This new design of interlocking triangles was much stronger. The Bible does say in Psalms that God is David's shield.

Symbolically, six stands for mankind. If you count the "sides", which are 12, they could stand for the 12 tribes of Israel. Some say it points to all directions of which God rules. North, South, East, West, Up and Down, six directions all needed to create our 3 dimensional world.

Also it could be said that in the first few centuries A.D., Christianity sprung up and had the symbol of the cross, and the Jews wanted a symbol, too, and if they were influenced by Christians, they may have chosen the star because of the star of Bethlehem, David's hometown, honoring both religions of the Almighty God. This last part is my guess.

Hmm. I thought the christian symbol was the lamb...but anyway. Maybe im getting mixed up. We dont need to put our faith in symbols...I mean...rosicrucians also do the sign of the cross and they arent christian. And constantine, who I doubt was truly born again. He made a lot of wars.

Hmm. I thought the christian symbol was the lamb...but anyway. Maybe im getting mixed up. We dont need to put our faith in symbols...I mean...rosicrucians also do the sign of the cross and they arent christian. And constantine, who I doubt was truly born again. He made a lot of wars.

The lamb is A Christian symbol, but probably not THE Christian symbol. I suspect the Cross has been adapted as the official symbol of Christianity over time. Of course the lamb is still a symbol used quite often. There are lots of symbols within Christianity (though depending on the denomination, some may reject them). The fish, the dove, the chi-roe, the triquetra, the sacred heart, the anchor (meaning hope), and of course popularized in Iraq, the Nazarene symbol which has gained a lot of popularity over the last year.

Some represent the theological virtues, like the anchor and the heart. Some have been misinterpreted over the years like the inverted cross of Peter (the upside down cross)...people have taken it as being an insult to the cross and have made it a Satanic image, though it is, in origins, a cross to represent our humbleness to Christ and our willingness to die for the faith. It's actually a very beautiful meaning behind it. It's a shame that it has been perverted by culture.
reversecross.jpg

Now be careful, the Rastas also make extensive use of the Lion of Judah symbol/wording and everything around it.
We should all know that what is connected to the Rastafarian religion is not from YHVH God.

Back