The eatery and the drinkery

I like potatoes any way at all. I have always thought if we have potatoes or bread in the house we are lucky.
I used to make a pie for the family using potatoes, chopped cheese, onions or leek and tomatoes. They used to love it.
good old cheese and onion pie...with leeks....very welsh 😊 never heard of putting tomato in though,
possibly, its like a flan?

Ok, let's get down where the rubber meets the road.

1. Buttered Popcorn
2. Dates filled with cream cheese.
3. Peanut Butter granola bars.
4. Pizza...any kind
5. Hold the veggies...any kind.

I was thinking of this as I went out with one of my friends for lunch yesterday what our food habits say about us. And also what we expect in restaurants and cafes.
Sorry for those who may still be in lockdown and actually can't get out and about to places! So think back to when you did go out for lunch or dinner.

My friend is really into cooking and her food. But its kinda makes her quite fussy about where she goes, and if the service is bad, we won't go there again. If the hosts are christian, you can tell the difference in subtle ways because hospitality is important to God.

Sometimes you just have no time for a long lunch. The parking meter is ticking...and your tummy is growling. That's why people like fast food. Or order from the cabinet. No waiting around.
Also, you've made up your mind what you want and it costs under $10 and you can take it away and sit under a tree and eat it.

But other places were you might pay extra money...if the kids have to wait for longer than 15 minutes and there's nothing to do but sit...there's only so much chit-chatting you can do. This is why appetisers/entrees are good. Preferably free! Or maybe a drink or water or at least something...to whet one's appetite.

Menus. If menus are too complicated or in foreign languages and not translated that's a bit off-putting. I like menus with pictures!
Noisy music. Why cafes and restaurants want everyone to go deaf by blasting rock music at full volume I have no idea. Sure the chefs in the kitchen might like it but some people want to hear each other converse.
Portion size - some people prefer to share their meals, but this is usually discussed at the beginning if it isn't obvious. There's nothing worse than ordering something that you can't finish and not being allowed to take a doggy bag or something and it just gets wasted.
Happy waiters/waitresses. They need to know their food.

I think it's fun to go out for lunch or dinner. Or do you think it's a drag? Maybe you've got dietary requirements and can never find anything to eat!
I think the worst thing is being really hungry, going out for lunch and not finding anywhere that's got any decent food or it's way too expensive. Of course you can make your own lunch beforehand, but sometimes you want something a bit more substantial than a bread and peanut butter sandwich and water. lol
Dallas is pretty much back to normal, and you don't see too many masks anymore. I never took any particular precautions, and have been going to eat-in Restaurants for most of 2020 as soon as they opened up for business again.

I'm a creature of habit, and have about a dozen different places that I go for lunch at work, and for dinner with my wife. I'm a FISH fancier (not Catfish) and generally go with that when it's offered, but I also like the Asian style buffets where I can stuff myself with Salmon, whitefish, shrimp, oysters and the like. taste is more important than ambiance which is more expen$ive. And of course in Texas, there's always Barbeque. My wife is an excellent Italian Cook, and so I get pasta dishes at home. My wife prefers the Chop Sueys, and Chow Meins (which you can't find in Texas, generally, but are common on the east coast).

After my first heart attack, I RELIGIOUSLY stuck to a low Cholesterol, low fat diet (as instructed).

After my second heart attack, is got a little less "religious", and after my 6th heart attack, I became a total atheist diet-wise, and eat what I want.

Then I found out that the "Medical truth du jour" is that dietary cholesterol isn't important, and it's SUGAR to causes plaque in Arteries. maybe - maybe not. the medical community doesn't REALLY know as much as they'd like you to believe they do.

SO after 13 heart attacks, two open hearts, a Rotoblator procedure up my "widowmaker", and 21 stents, I'm eating what I feel like eating, whenever I feel like eating it, and my heart attacks stopped happening about 8 years ago (Plavix seems to be good medicine).

Dallas is pretty much back to normal, and you don't see too many masks anymore. I never took any particular precautions, and have been going to eat-in Restaurants for most of 2020 as soon as they opened up for business again.

I'm a creature of habit, and have about a dozen different places that I go for lunch at work, and for dinner with my wife. I'm a FISH fancier (not Catfish) and generally go with that when it's offered, but I also like the Asian style buffets where I can stuff myself with Salmon, whitefish, shrimp, oysters and the like. taste is more important than ambiance which is more expen$ive. And of course in Texas, there's always Barbeque. My wife is an excellent Italian Cook, and so I get pasta dishes at home. My wife prefers the Chop Sueys, and Chow Meins (which you can't find in Texas, generally, but are common on the east coast).

After my first heart attack, I RELIGIOUSLY stuck to a low Cholesterol, low fat diet (as instructed).

After my second heart attack, is got a little less "religious", and after my 6th heart attack, I became a total atheist diet-wise, and eat what I want.

Then I found out that the "Medical truth du jour" is that dietary cholesterol isn't important, and it's SUGAR to causes plaque in Arteries. maybe - maybe not. the medical community doesn't REALLY know as much as they'd like you to believe they do.

SO after 13 heart attacks, two open hearts, a Rotoblator procedure up my "widowmaker", and 21 stents, I'm eating what I feel like eating, whenever I feel like eating it, and my heart attacks stopped happening about 8 years ago (Plavix seems to be good medicine).
so would you say its sugar that causes heart attacks..?
Or is it just a stressful life, I don't quite understand. It's not what goes in you, but what comes out that defiles a man, isn't that what the Bible says.

I think some people's hearts just beat faster, don't they? Maybe they ought to slow down and relax more.

so would you say its sugar that causes heart attacks..?
Or is it just a stressful life, I don't quite understand. It's not what goes in you, but what comes out that defiles a man, isn't that what the Bible says.

I think some people's hearts just beat faster, don't they? Maybe they ought to slow down and relax more.
Sugar is apparently the building material that turn internally into Cholesterol, which creates Arterial Plaque. GOt nothing to do with "Stress" just physical degeneration. What goes into you may not defile you SPIRITUALLY, but it can and DOES destroy you physically.

Sugar is apparently the building material that turn internally into Cholesterol, which creates Arterial Plaque. GOt nothing to do with "Stress" just physical degeneration. What goes into you may not defile you SPIRITUALLY, but it can and DOES destroy you physically.
hmm ok so have you stopped eating sugar?
I can't imagine how horrible it is to have a heart attack. Must have been so traumatic. Was it like you thought you might die? Did they happen just out of the blue, or did you kind of know when one was going to happen?

What should we do in event of someone having one? I know call an ambulance, and also to get the heart defibrillator if there is one around, but what would you say about CPR. Every couple of years First Aid courses change how you are meant to do it. The last time I learned it was 15 compressions and 2 breaths, and keep checking the pulse. And it was two handspans under the chin or something.

I also remember ACT. Airway, compression and...now I've forgotten. Or was it ACE.

good old cheese and onion pie...with leeks....very welsh 😊 never heard of putting tomato in though,
possibly, its like a flan?

I like leek Via , not really keen in onions. Stew is nice with leek.

It wasn't a flan it was a full pie.

Praytell, Cosia and Via, why do they call this vegetable leek? Does it drip? lol!

I believe these are cousin to the onion and the food term leek is a food in Egypt, Hebrew and Old Testament Bible in Numbers 11:5, 5 We remember the fish, which we did eat in Egypt freely; the cucumbers, and the melons, and the leeks, and the onions, and the garlick:
- KJV

Difference between European and Asian places. Europeans only serve free water with meals.
Asians always serve free tea.

Its the free water situation in Israel, unless you specify.
In that case, tea, soft drink, milk, juice....wine, coffee.....
All free...
Whatever you want, but, if you dont tell them, here comes the water and the ice.

Praytell, Cosia and Via, why do they call this vegetable leek? Does it drip? lol!

I believe these are cousin to the onion and the food term leek is a food in Egypt, Hebrew and Old Testament Bible in Numbers 11:5, 5 We remember the fish, which we did eat in Egypt freely; the cucumbers, and the melons, and the leeks, and the onions, and the garlick:
- KJV
Hi bobinfaith
The leek only drips if you like soggy pastry. Lol
That is an interesting verse, it gives a bit bigger picture of the Israelites. I'm glad they had leek. I think that best was them remembering what they are in Babylon? Or Egypt?
They might have liked my pie 😀

Hi bobinfaith
The leek only drips if you like soggy pastry. Lol
That is an interesting verse, it gives a bit bigger picture of the Israelites. I'm glad they had leek. I think that best was them remembering what they are in Babylon? Or Egypt?
They might have liked my pie 😀
Hi Cosia;

The Israelites were on their way to the Promised land and Canaan when they were complaining of the good food missed when they were slaves in Egypt.

I believe they would have enjoyed leek pie, a lot easier to prepare instead of preparing a quail. lol!

Hi Cosia;

The Israelites were on their way to the Promised land and Canaan when they were complaining of the good food missed when they were slaves in Egypt.

I believe they would have enjoyed leek pie, a lot easier to prepare instead of preparing a quail. lol!
I wouldn't fancy pulling all those feathers out.

hmm ok so have you stopped eating sugar?
In a minor way. I use saccharine in Coffee, and cereal, etc. On the other hand, Starches, and Carbohydrates break down into sugars when digested. So a diabetic diet is good for Coronary artery disease folks also (I'm a type 2 diabetic, and shoot insulin every night to keep my A1C around 7).
I can't imagine how horrible it is to have a heart attack. Must have been so traumatic. Was it like you thought you might die?
Depends - one of the folks I worked with was pitching a softball game, and suddenly woke up in the ICU AFTER his quad bypass. In my case, I had symptoms (angina pectoris) for well over a year, and didn't recognize them as Heart issues, until they suddenly got worse one morning. It's a bad sign when the paramedics know you by name -
Did they happen just out of the blue, or did you kind of know when one was going to happen?
NOW (after 13 attacks - as confirmed in each case by the presence of the "troponin" enzyme in the blood) I know when I need to call 911. The first time, I didn't really know what was going on. My Wife looked at my color, and recognized that it was something serious - so we quickly ran down to the E-Room at the local hospital. I was getting ready to fly to Cleveland that morning, so she probably saved my life -

MOST heart attacks tend to happen around 3:00 A.M. and so you wake up in pain (angina), and have to decide that IT'S TIME for the ambulance (because the pain can suddenly go into unconciousness, which wouldn't be good if you were driving).
What should we do in event of someone having one? I know call an ambulance, and also to get the heart defibrillator if there is one around, but what would you say about CPR.
They say that the BEST THING to do is COUGH VIOLENTLY (which acts like a chest compression). Of course if you're unconscious, then CPR would be good if your heart stops. Nobody in my house would have a clue how to do it, though.
Every couple of years First Aid courses change how you are meant to do it. The last time I learned it was 15 compressions and 2 breaths, and keep checking the pulse. And it was two handspans under the chin or something.

I also remember ACT. Airway, compression and...now I've forgotten. Or was it ACE.
I don't know - My attacks were not "Massive", and I carry Nitroglycerin with me all the time - in case.

Back