The eatery and the drinkery

I think our schools are on sandwiches only. don't know why they can't get a take out. its bitterly cold here at the moment😩
I think mine may be getting soup or hot drinks in winter.
I would if I was involved with it! Its not very nourishing to have a cold lunch when it's like 10 degrees or below outside.

When they did all bring their own, last year, they never got anything hot. I don't think they even had the opportunity to heat up their own food.
The only time they got hot food was when I delivered pizzas on Thursdays for the readers. It did get them reading books.

I would bring soup from home in pouches and heat them up in the staff microwave, for my own lunch, and we have a zip hot water machine for hot drinks, so you could bring those sachets of whatever and have soups and drinks and hot tea or coffee. We also have a stove and oven in the staff room, and a toaster, and grill.

Not all classrooms have these facilities.

I don't like fast food. rarely will I go to a fast food place to eat and hardly ever do.
but if I do, I try to find a good Indian, or organic vegan/vegitarian. im not a vegetarian, but I like the restaeaunts where I used to live, they were all organic and healthy and creative.

At my age I don't care much for fast food but when I'm hungry I tend to eat my food fast.

I enjoy more soups and big salads with everything in it. I used to like oil and vinegar but flavor cream salad dressings like Thousand Island, Ranch Dressing, etc...

I used to work in fast food, my uncles owned takeaway fish and chips. I had an after school job. Fridays were the busiest.

I think fast food is a God send if you've got no time to shop and cook. It does take a bit of preparation to make a good hot meal.
I don't know about having it everyday though. Too much of a good thing. (or bad, depending on your perspective).

I used to work in fast food, my uncles owned takeaway fish and chips. I had an after school job. Fridays were the busiest.

I think fast food is a God send if you've got no time to shop and cook. It does take a bit of preparation to make a good hot meal.
I don't know about having it everyday though. Too much of a good thing. (or bad, depending on your perspective).

I feel it's just my system that cannot handle fast food anymore. When I was in my 20's I would order 5 hamburgers at McDonalds for 39 cents each.

You mentioned fish and chips. I still love fish and chips. When we lived in England the fish and chips truck would come by once a week. We would order a meal and they wrapped it in newspapers. We didn't get sick but the fish and chips were always current. lol!

You ate 5 hamburgers in one sitting???
wow

I only ever eat one hamburger at a time. One is enough for me! They have gotten more expensive though.

I don't count the number of chips I eat though. I love chips. I could eat them everyday instead of rice if I could.

You ate 5 hamburgers in one sitting???
wow

I only ever eat one hamburger at a time. One is enough for me! They have gotten more expensive though.

I don't count the number of chips I eat though. I love chips. I could eat them everyday instead of rice if I could.

Yes, Lanolin;

I ate 5 hamburgers more than once, McDonald's, Jack in the Box or at a barbeque with friends and would burn it off each week. I was in my early 20's and very active in sports and would play 2 up to 3 games on any game day.

There is a Vietnamese soup that I love called Dac Biet Bo Vien - a special combo with beef balls, with slices of steak, well done brisket flank, tendon and tripe. But the part I love the best is the broth with raw noodles and lime spread on top of the bowl.

When I was a teen and young adult, I would eat an entire large pizza. The pizza's were larger back then, so I imagine it would have been more comparable to an extra large pizza today. Back then I was very active and could eat like a horse never gained a pound.

Gone are those days.

when I was a kid I thought I WAS in America!

I used to watch all the American cartoons and tv programmes and ate pizza with eggy bread and melted cheese with sweetcorn and philadelphia cheese on top.
I don't think that's an American recipe but I made my own up and just felt close to American culture LOL.
I never was and still not a fan of hamburgers, but I like mixing and matching everything else.

I even used to speak American when playing hahaha

I must say I was surprised with what I got for fish and chips in London. It was nothing like the usual fish and chips here. The fish here is usually smaller pieces often pollack or cod heavily breaded and fried. The chips are usually French fries.

tmg-facebook_social.jpg

French fries are skinny chips.
There's chips, and then there's wedges.

Wedges are more satisfying. They can also still have the skin on.

I've heard some cafes and restaurants advertise their chips as 'hand cut chips' or 'hand cut fries' so I wonder what they are trying to say, everyone else's ones are cut by robots? Or legs??

Yes, Lanolin;

I ate 5 hamburgers more than once, McDonald's, Jack in the Box or at a barbeque with friends and would burn it off each week. I was in my early 20's and very active in sports and would play 2 up to 3 games on any game day.

There is a Vietnamese soup that I love called Dac Biet Bo Vien - a special combo with beef balls, with slices of steak, well done brisket flank, tendon and tripe. But the part I love the best is the broth with raw noodles and lime spread on top of the bowl.
would not one or two Big Macs be enough? There's two patties in a Big Mac. lol.
Maybe eating 5 hamburgers works out cheaper.

I eat meat pies, but again only one at a time. They are good for energy and protein, esp when I was doing stuff like mowing lawns.

would not one or two Big Macs be enough? There's two patties in a Big Mac. lol.
Maybe eating 5 hamburgers works out cheaper.

I eat meat pies, but again only one at a time. They are good for energy and protein, esp when I was doing stuff like mowing lawns.

Hey Lanolin,

You have a point here. I should have done the math. lol!

I love meat pies! I also love chicken pot pies. To me, both are better than fast food.

I was watching a segment on tv about how children have become obese because they have been locked down since March 2020.
Having virtual classes has taken away their PE - physical education, even walking to school and getting fresh air can be healthy.

At home we have two nephews, 15, 17 and a 3 year old niece. Though the boys are lean, they eat for breakfast eggs, cereal, milk and fruit. For lunch and dinner they eat lean meats, chicken, fish and fruit. Our niece is such a happy little girl and her parents do a pretty good job with her diet.

But we struggle with too many snacks like chips, dip, cookies, ice cream drumsticks and frozen hot foods like taquitos, hot pockets, etc...

They're teens and a 3 year old girl, and all love to snack, so after I watched the segment on obesity during covid, we're trying to find alternative snacks. Fruit is great but can get boring to eat day after day.

Has anyone noticed an increase with obesity in our kids during covid, and what healthy foods do you know that are good for kids and teens?

I was watching a segment on tv about how children have become obese because they have been locked down since March 2020.
Having virtual classes has taken away their PE - physical education, even walking to school and getting fresh air can be healthy.

At home we have two nephews, 15, 17 and a 3 year old niece. Though the boys are lean, they eat for breakfast eggs, cereal, milk and fruit. For lunch and dinner they eat lean meats, chicken, fish and fruit. Our niece is such a happy little girl and her parents do a pretty good job with her diet.

But we struggle with too many snacks like chips, dip, cookies, ice cream drumsticks and frozen hot foods like taquitos, hot pockets, etc...

They're teens and a 3 year old girl, and all love to snack, so after I watched the segment on obesity during covid, we're trying to find alternative snacks. Fruit is great but can get boring to eat day after day.

Has anyone noticed an increase with obesity in our kids during covid, and what healthy foods do you know that are good for kids and teens?
hmm not noticeably...but if children aren't getting much exercise that's a bit of a concern.

Those of you who live in the countryside or have huge backyards won't have much problems. Plenty of work to do and places to play. Its the ones who live in tiny apartments and can't get out to parks or run around the streets that are most at risk.

A lot of people don't have the luxury of snacks all the time, it's 2 or 3 meals a day and that's it. Make the meals more substantial, and then you won't actually need to snack.

I am starting to put weight on....😔
we have a new chef at work and he makes cakes and home made biscuits.
even though I walk miles and miles a day, I am chubbing up. so are my little old ladies.

the confectionaries are sooo delicious and free I can t help myself.

after the other day, eating 6 buns and about 400 biscuits later, , a Sunday dinner and cake and custard, I finally snapped.

I am on a diet from today😊

I am starting to put weight on....😔
we have a new chef at work and he makes cakes and home made biscuits.
even though I walk miles and miles a day, I am chubbing up. so are my little old ladies.

the confectionaries are sooo delicious and free I can t help myself.

after the other day, eating 6 buns and about 400 biscuits later, , a Sunday dinner and cake and custard, I finally snapped.

I am on a diet from today😊

Hello Via;

When you say biscuits do you mean cookies?

Via hasn't answered so I think she means cookies but in UK they are called biscuits.
Americans have biscuits but they would be called scones in the UK.

Yea confusing!

Went out TWICE this week to eat since my family are back together.

Wednesday went to a Chinese restaurant
Then Friday us siblings went to an oyster restaurant.

The food in both was very good. I had my favourite...crayfish.
In the Bible oysters and crayfish it's on the list of banned foods for Israelites (it's not kosher) but I'm a forgiven gentile so, it's ok.

I think if I had to live kosher I would probably be vegetarian or even vegan. I have been vegetarian before but I would miss seafood the most. There HAS to be crayfish or at least fish in heaven.

Back