The Law

The Law

In Psalm 119, the word, "Word," is used interchangeably with, "law," "commandments," "judgments," "precepts," "statutes," "testimonies."

His Word = His law.

"A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh. And I will put My Spirit within you, and CAUSE YOU to walk in My statutes, and ye shall keep My judgments and do them." Ezek 36:26,27.

When His Spirit is within us, we are empowered by His Spirit to obey His Word - His law. And that is what "walking in His Spirit" is all about. The Holy Spirit will never lead us into sin, or, "the transgression of the law." 1 John 3:4.

We have abused grace:

"I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh, I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me." Ga 2:20.

"What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound? God forbid. How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein?" Rom 6:1.

"Do we then make void the law through faith? God forbid: yea, we establish the law." Rom 3:31.

"Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law." 1 John 3:4.

When Moses disobeyed the Lord and struck the rock, God charged him with unbelief. Num 20:12. When the children of Israel disobeyed the Lord, they were not able to enter The Promised Land, because of unbelief. Heb 3:19. Unbelief comes out of an evil heart. Heb 3:12.

Disobedience = Unbelief
Obedience = Faith

Rom 16:26 refers to "the obedience of faith."

"By faith Abraham...obeyed." Heb 11:8.

Jesus said, "Not every one that SAITH, Lord, Lord, shall enter (Rev 22:14) into the kingdom of heaven, but he that DOETH the will of My Father, which is in heaven.

MANY will say to Me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Thy name? and in Thy name have cast out devils? and in Thy name done many wonderful works?

And then will I profess unto them, I NEVER KNEW YOU: depart from Me, ye that work iniquity." (lawlessness) Mt 7:21-23.

"And hereby we do know that we know Him, IF we keep His commandments. He that saith, I KNOW HIM, and keepeth not His commandments is a LIAR, and the Truth is not in him. But whoso keepeth HIS WORD, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby we do know that we are in Him." 1 John 2:3-5.

True faith obeys His every Word - His law. It isn't what we SAY, but, what we DO.

"As far as the east is from the west, so far hath He removed our transgressions ("of the law") from us...TO SUCH AS KEEP HIS COVENANT, AND TO THOSE THAT REMEMBER HIS COMMANDMENTS TO DO THEM." Ps. 103.

Covenants have conditions.

"Blessed are they that do His commandments, that they may have RIGHT to the tree of life, AND MAY ENTER IN through the gates into the city." Rev 22:14.

Also, please remember what Christ himself said about 'the law' as shown in the New Testament from Matthew 5:17-20 (KJV)

17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.

18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.

19 Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

20 For I say unto you, That except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven.

And for those persons who wish to see this text in modern English, from the New Living Translation:

17 “Don’t misunderstand why I have come. I did not come to abolish the law of Moses or the writings of the prophets. No, I came to accomplish their purpose. 18 I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not even the smallest detail of God’s law will disappear until its purpose is achieved. 19 So if you ignore the least commandment and teach others to do the same, you will be called the least in the Kingdom of Heaven. But anyone who obeys God’s laws and teaches them will be called great in the Kingdom of Heaven.
20 “But I warn you—unless your righteousness is better than the righteousness of the teachers of religious law and the Pharisees, you will never enter the Kingdom of Heaven!"

The Ceremonial law pointed to the sacrifice of Jesus and was fulfilled. Circumcision is now of the heart, washings are baptism, Jesus, the clean became unclean, so that we may be clean. The Sabbath Feast Days were fulfilled:

Passover: Our Passover Lamb
Unleavened Bread: He was without sin
Tabernacles: He "tabernacled among us"...

If the Ceremonial law had not been fulfilled, we would, still, sacrifice animals.

CEREMONIAL LAW:

1. Is called, "the law contained in ordinances." Eph 2:15
2. Was spoken by Moses. Lev 1:1-3
3. Was written by Moses in a book. 11 Chron 35:12
4. Was placed in the side of The Ark. Deut 31:24-26 (to show it's temporal nature)
5. Was nailed to the cross. Col 2:14
6. Was abolished by Christ. Eph 2:15

THE TEN COMMANDMENT COVENANT:

1. Is called, the "royal law." Ja 2:8
2. Was spoken by God. Deut 4:12,13
3. Was written with the finger of God. Ex 31:18
4. Was placed inside The Ark. Ex 40:20;Heb 9:4
5. Is to "stand forever and ever." Ps 111:7,8
6. Was not destroyed by Christ. Mt 5:17,18.

The Ten Commandment Covenant deals with our character and is used by the Holy Spirit in our on-going process of sanctification.

The Old Covenant was the Ten Commandment Law. It was based upon the promise of the people. Ex 24:7. The New Covenant is based upon the promise of God:

"But this shall be the Covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; after those days, saith the Lord, I will put My laws in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and I will be their God, and they shall be My people. Jer 31:31-34;Mt 26:28; Heb 8:10 - an internal Covenant.

WHO is He speaking of? Paul answers, "Now to Abraham and his seed were the promises made, He saith not, And to thy seeds as of many: but as of one, And to thy seed which is Christ." "And if ye be Christ's, then are YE Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise." Ga 3:16,29

"Know ye therefore that they which are of faith, the same are the children of Abraham." Ga 3:7.

"For he is not a Jew, who is one outwardly; neither is that circumcision which is outward in the flesh: But he is a Jew, which is one inwardly; and circumcision is that of the heart, in the spirit, and not in the letter; whose praise is not of men, but of God." Rom 2:28,29.

The promises were made through Abraham to the children of promise (Rom 9:6-8), who are justified by faith - whether Jew or Gentile. Eph 2:12,13;3:6.

God engraves His Covenant in our hearts and minds. Jesus took the commandments to the heart. That is why He said, that, if a man looks upon a woman to lust, he has, already, committed adultery with her in his heart. Or, if we are angry with our brother, without cause, we are in danger of the judgment. Mt 5:22,27,28.

Even in heaven, the Lord makes quite a statement about His Covenant:

"And the temple of God was opened in heaven, and there was seen in His temple The Ark of His Testament: and there were LIGHTNINGS, and VOICES, and THUNDERINGS, and AN EARTHQUAKE, and GREAT HAIL." Rev 11:19.

Amen brothers.

Jesus says that if we love Him we will Obey His commandments. To show our love for Him, we must obey the commandments, the two commandments, which cover the 9 commandments. Sabbath apparently was not for the gentiles but only the Jews? Please do not argue about this one and please do not close thread. I do not mind who disagrees or who agrees, I am asking a question only :)
because if God's law says we must follow it and we don't then that is not good! since Jesus followed it.
But I remember in one verse in Acts I believe where the disciples say that they will only give a certain rules to the gentiles and Sabbath keeping was not in it.

Ramsey ... If this thread is discussed in a respectful manner there is no reason for it to be closed . It is only when people start conflicting statements then the thread is watched for any confrontation.

2 For I bear them witness that they have a zeal for
God, but not according to knowledge.
3 For being ignorant of God’s
righteousness, and seeking to establish their own, they did not subject
themselves to the righteousness of God.
4 For Christ is the end of the law
unto righteousness to every one that believeth.
5 For Moses writeth that
the man that doeth the righteousness which is of the law shall live thereby.
6 But the righteousness which is of faith saith thus, Say not in thy heart,
Who shall ascend into heaven? (that is, to bring Christ down:)
7 or, Who
shall descend into the abyss? (That is, to bring Christ up from the dead.)
8 But what saith it? The word is nigh thee, in thy mouth, and in thy heart:
that is, the word of faith, which we preach:
9 because if thou shalt confess
with thy mouth Jesus as Lord, and shalt believe in thy heart that God
raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved:
10 for with the heart man
believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto
salvation.
11 For the scripture saith, Whosoever believeth on him shall not
be put to shame.
12 For there is no distinction between Jew and Greek: for the same Lord is
Lord of all, and is rich unto all that call upon him:
13 for, Whosoever shall
call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.

Dear Dusty im not making staement sim just sharing the truth of Gods word i love all of you im not a trouble maker i want to encourage every one and be a blessing thats all.

Amen brothers.

Jesus says that if we love Him we will Obey His commandments. To show our love for Him, we must obey the commandments, the two commandments, which cover the 9 commandments. Sabbath apparently was not for the gentiles but only the Jews? Please do not argue about this one and please do not close thread. I do not mind who disagrees or who agrees, I am asking a question only :)
because if God's law says we must follow it and we don't then that is not good! since Jesus followed it.
But I remember in one verse in Acts I believe where the disciples say that they will only give a certain rules to the gentiles and Sabbath keeping was not in it.

Psalm 121:4

4 indeed, he who watches over Israel
will neither slumber nor sleep.

"God blessed the seventh day and made it holy , because on it He rested from all the work"

There is no commandment here for people to observe the Sabbath . In fact , since Adam was created on the 6th day , the Sabbath Day was actually the first day for him.

The Sabbath does not appear again in the OT until Exodus 20:9-11. There is no eveidence in scripture that God ever told the Gentiles to observe the Sabbath . The OT Mosaic law was given only to Israel ( Ps.147:19-20 )

While on earth , Christ observed the Sabbath since He lived under the dispensation of the law.
In the early years of the church , Christians did meet on the Sabbath in the synagogues , until the Jewish believers were persecuted and driven out.

However, the first day of the week ( Sunday , the Lord's Day ) was their special day for fellowship and worship ( Acts 20:7; 1Cor. 16:1-3; Rev. 1:10 )
The first day commemorates Christ's resurrection ( Matthew 28:1; James 20:1 ) the completion of His work in bringing about the new creation.

These 2 special days --- the Sabbath and the Lord's Day --- commemorate different things and must not be confused.

The Sabbath relates to the old creation and was given expressly to Israel- It speaks of law as 6 days of labour followed by rest.

Herald...
Discussion of the Laws and Commandments of God always brings me back to this scripture. I can not help but truly believe that these saints are not only Jews who have believed in Jesus (completed Jews) as Messiah but also to the Gentile Christians (Fulfilled Christians) who have embraced the Jewishness of their faith.

Revelation 14:12 (KJV)
Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus.

Revelation 14:12 (TNIV) This calls for patient endurance on the part of the people of God who keep his commands and remain faithful to Jesus.

Revelation 14:12 (Amp) Here [comes in a call for] the steadfastness of the saints [the patience, the endurance of the people of God], those who [habitually] keep God's commandments and [their] faith in Jesus.

Shalom to all :groupray:

Dear Dusty im not making staement sim just sharing the truth of Gods word i love all of you im not a trouble maker i want to encourage every one and be a blessing thats all.

No one said you were a troublemaker :" wounded '" . I know you love all God's people and we all love you too , Brother.:)

Our Creator sanctified and blessed the Sabbath at Creation, long before there was a Jewish nation:

"And on the seventh day God ended His work which He had made and He rested on the seventh day from all His work which He had made.

And GOD BLESSED THE SEVENTH DAY, AND SANCTIFIED IT: because that in it He had rested from all His work which God created and made." Gen 2:2,3.

Then He made it part of His law:

"Remember the Sabbath day to keep it holy. Six days shalt thou labour and do all thy work: BUT the seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work...FOR in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: WHEREFORE the Lord blessed the Sabbath day, and hallowed it." Ex 20:8-11.

When the Lord repeats in Scripture, it is for emphasis.

Jesus prophesied that the Sabbath would, still, be kept during The Great Tribulation, and we are not there, yet:

"But pray ye that your flight be not in the winter, neither on the Sabbath day..." Mt 24:20.

Isaiah prophesied that God's people will keep the Sabbath in His KIngdom:

"For as the new heavens and the new earth, which I will make, shall remain before Me, saith the Lord, so shall your seed and your name remain. And it shall come to pass, that from one new moon to another, and from one Sabbath to another, shall all flesh come to worship before Me, saith the Lord." Isa 66:22,23.

Here is a great promise:

"If thou turn away thy foot from the Sabbath, from doing thy pleasure on MY HOLY DAY, and call the Sabbath a delight, the holy of the Lord, honourable; and shalt honour Him, not doing thine own way, nor finding thine own pleasure, nor speaking thine own words:

Then shalt thou delight thyself in the Lord; and I will cause thee to rise upon the high places of the earth, and feed thee with the heritage of Jacob thy father: for the mouth of the Lord hath spoken it." Isa 58:13,14.

What is "The Everlasting Gospel" that is to go to every nation,kindred, tongue and people?

"And I saw another angel fly in the midst of heaven, having the everlasting gospel to preach unto them that dwell on the earth, and to every nation, and kindred, and tongue and people.

Saying with a loud voice, Fear God and give glory to Him; for the hour of His judgment is come: and WORSHIP HIM THAT MADE HEAVEN, AND EARTH, AND THE SEA, AND THE FOUNTAINS OF WATER." Rev 14:6,7.

How do we worship our Creator? By keeping His day holy.

James 2:10,11 tells us, that, if we break any of His commandments, we become transgressors of His law and are guilty of breaking all of them.

The Jews added hundreds of rules and regulations to the keeping of the Sabbath. Jesus did not defer to them, yet, He fulfilled the law.

How did Jesus keep the Sabbath? By worshiping the Father and meeting human need.

The children of Israel, Jesus, His disciples, and the New Testament Christians kept the Sabbath holy. "He that saith he abideth in Him ought himself also so to walk even as He walked." 1 John 2:6.

A sign of The Antichrist is "...he thinks to change times and laws." Dan 7:25. He, only, "thinks to change, because no man/institution can overrule our Creator and change His law. There is, only, one time in His Covenant - the Sabbath.

Our Creator never sanctified any other day, but the seventh day Sabbath.

It is a commandment, and not a request.

Col 2:13-20 is referring to the Ceremonial law, which was fulfilled.

The Ten Commandment Covenant was not abolished. The fourth commandment is just that - a commandment.

Jesus said, "He that rejecteth Me and receiveth not My Words, hath one that judgeth him, THE WORD that I have spoken the same shall judge him in the last day." John 12:48.

The Apostle Paul wrote, "For as many have sinned without the law shall also perish without law: and as many as have sinned in the law shall be judged by the law;

For not the hearers of the law are just before God, but the DOERS OF THE LAW shall be justified." Rom 2:12,13. (Again, the same thing Jesus said in Matthew 7:21-23)

Even though Abraham was the father of the faithful,(Ga 3:7,16,29) he kept God's law:

"And I will make thy seed to multiply as the stars of heaven, and will give unto thy seed all these countries; and in thy seed shall all the nations of the earth be blessed;

BECAUSE that Abraham obeyed My voice, (His Word), and kept My charge, My commandments, My statutes, and My laws." Gen 26:4,5.

Do you want His Word to judge you? Or, do you want to hear Him say, "Well done, thou good and faithful servant?" Mt 25:21.

Daniel 7:25 is indeed right herald. I have noticed it so much in this generation.

But how about this
I remember in Acts the apostles saying the gentiles will be given some laws (mostly love one another) but the sabbath wasn't included.
I believe the reason is that when we preach, the Sabbath is not the most important for new people. They won't care much and find it more work.
It is for the Jewish forever, not gentiles.
I could be from the seed of Abraham though since I am Lebanese and lived not far from where they all lived. But I was ignorant of many things and God forgives the ignorant ones.

Now this is what I believe:
The Sabbath was not made to be burdensome on the Jews but the pharisees added human laws and made it burdensome on the people. Hence Jesus followed it but people thought He broke the Sabbath, which He didn't but showed us a new way of observing the Sabbath that is not burdensome !
I try to follow it but I don't know how yet !! nor any of the rules, except to gather more the day before so that we do not do any work on that day, but Jesus made it less burdensome.
God did not sanctify the 1st day but each day is important to honor the Lord or else sin lies at the door.

Why do you all herald that so many laws are less burdensome now than they were for the Jewish, because the love of Jesus lies in us and we wish to honor Him. For this generation surely cannot act the way the Jewish acted! they needed to be in laws because there weren't as many people as now. Now look at this generation with all this technology and so forth, it is different, hence why Jesus came.
This is a bad way of explaining it but I hope you can imagine it in your head lol because I can't explain it clearly in this manner.

As for me, I wish to honor it, I just don't know how yet :) soon I will maybe.

Any one that tries to live by the law 10 commandments severs himself from grace.By grace are ye saved through faith and this is mot of yourselves it is the gift of God.No flesh shall glory in His presence.Galatians 1 Jesus alone can save us from iour sins.

Back