The Poor in Spirit

This what God is clearly telling us in Isa 66:2. We ought to be of a poor and contrite spirit. Seeing our great need for God in our lives, humbly submissive knowing how much we need God to direct our steps.
Yes, and I believe much of what Jesus taught was to reveal our utter bankruptcy when it came to 'achieving' righteousness, thus opening the door to the reception of the Gospel through humbling our pride and self sufficiency.

Galatians 3:22 (KJV) But the scripture hath concluded all under sin, that the promise by faith of Jesus Christ might be given to them that believe.

Last edited:
Hello Cosia;

Thank you again, for starting this thread, The Poor In Spirit. By now you may have read everyone's posts addressing the poor in spirit and what God's Word is saying to all of us.

You mentioned you desire to continue studying more on Beatitudes and what it is saying to you,
but also how you apply it.

God bless you, sister, and your family.
I am so sorry for my lateness.
Thank you to everyone for replying.
This is what I have been doing.
I believe poor in spirit is to be humble. To realise just how unworthy we are and how far we fall short of the glory of God.
I lobe Luke 18:9-14 the parable of the pharisee and the tax collector. The pharisee thanking God he wasn"t like this other man. The tax collector humbly confessing and not able to raise his eyes. This parable, to me, describes the poor in spirit. As a few of you have said the opposite of pride.
I chose the user name Cosia because it stands for "chief of sinners I am." So perhaps I am beginning to learn something :LOL:
Jesus was always humble e.g. "why do you call me good, only God is good." Yet Jesus was the only one on earth worthy to be called good .

So what can I do about it?
One thing I have always done when I read the people I see two people in it. Jesus and myself. A picture of perfection is Christ, a picture of me is very needy.
I searched my heart and asked myself if I could find humility in there I prayed. I'm working on it. That doesn't mean I am now humble, just a work on progress. I want to be humble. I pray for humility to be on my heart and try to fight any pride. I find it helps to remind myself of all the weaknesses I have and compare it with Christs attributes.
Any tips???

I am so sorry for my lateness.
Thank you to everyone for replying.
This is what I have been doing.
I believe poor in spirit is to be humble. To realise just how unworthy we are and how far we fall short of the glory of God.
I lobe Luke 18:9-14 the parable of the pharisee and the tax collector. The pharisee thanking God he wasn"t like this other man. The tax collector humbly confessing and not able to raise his eyes. This parable, to me, describes the poor in spirit. As a few of you have said the opposite of pride.
I chose the user name Cosia because it stands for "chief of sinners I am." So perhaps I am beginning to learn something :LOL:
Jesus was always humble e.g. "why do you call me good, only God is good." Yet Jesus was the only one on earth worthy to be called good .

So what can I do about it?
One thing I have always done when I read the people I see two people in it. Jesus and myself. A picture of perfection is Christ, a picture of me is very needy.
I searched my heart and asked myself if I could find humility in there I prayed. I'm working on it. That doesn't mean I am now humble, just a work on progress. I want to be humble. I pray for humility to be on my heart and try to fight any pride. I find it helps to remind myself of all the weaknesses I have and compare it with Christs attributes.
Any tips???

From my experience, what you're asking for is what comes naturally from a relationship with Christ Jesus, but much deeper than a shallow, surface encounter with Him. Digging deep into that relationship is something that comes by asking. He promised He would give to us whatsoever we ask, and He gives those things especially that please Him.

Just my experience....

MM

From my experience, what you're asking for is what comes naturally from a relationship with Christ Jesus, but much deeper than a shallow, surface encounter with Him. Digging deep into that relationship is something that comes by asking. He promised He would give to us whatsoever we ask, and He gives those things especially that please Him.

Just my experience....

MM
Thank you Musicmaster
I agree that is true

I am so sorry for my lateness. Thank you to everyone for replying. This is what I have been doing. I believe poor in spirit is to be humble. To realise just how unworthy we are and how far we fall short of the glory of God. I lobe Luke 18:9-14 the parable of the pharisee and the tax collector. The pharisee thanking God he wasn"t like this other man. The tax collector humbly confessing and not able to raise his eyes. This parable, to me, describes the poor in spirit. As a few of you have said the opposite of pride. I chose the user name Cosia because it stands for "chief of sinners I am." So perhaps I am beginning to learn something :LOL:
Jesus was always humble e.g. "why do you call me good, only God is good." Yet Jesus was the only one on earth worthy to be called good. So what can I do about it? One thing I have always done when I read the people I see two people in it. Jesus and myself. A picture of perfection is Christ, a picture of me is very needy. I searched my heart and asked myself if I could find humility in there I prayed. I'm working on it. That doesn't mean I am now humble, just a work on progress. I want to be humble. I pray for humility to be on my heart and try to fight any pride. I find it helps to remind myself of all the weaknesses I have and compare it with Christs attributes. Any tips???

Just my experience....

MM

Hello Musicmaster;

What you posted hit me and want to share thoughts with you and all of us. Why is it that we (imperfect Christians) struggle with a deeper relationship with Christ, which can, indeed, lead to a shallow encounter with Him?

When I say "we" I mean the Body of Christ. Someone once posted a scolding in another thread, that instead of saying "I," instead used "we."
If it's about me, then I'll emphasize it.

Part of a deeper relationship with Christ is also the ability to share a deeper bond of Jesus with like minded Christians. I feel this greatly helps align our understanding of the Word, aside from disagreements in interpretations which is normal and acceptable.

Cosia, I understand and blue-lighted your belief in the poor in spirit. In the attitude you shared says to me it's one more thing to think about, and it's ok when I'm wrong because it may well be leading to learning.

God bless you all and thank you.

Hey Costia, I have realised my emotional eating has had me humble before Christ as I thought I wasn’t that bad...I thought I could control it and did a Pharisee and judged myself against others that it’s not too bad compared to others but I have realised that once He gets us to acknowledge and confess He made me laugh out loud thinking how ignorant I really was and that it’s all about our growth so we can become better people and breaking out of our fears and limiting beliefs.

my boss is my nemesis and I fear authority but all this emotional eating ties in with fear of authority and so on it goes until I no longer have that issue lol

Via: eating my way through fear☝️

Hey Via
That's some revelatipn you've received. Thank you for sharing that.
Fear is something I have struggled with too. I know how destroying it can be. I still pray for more courage.
We all do different things for comfort. How is it going now?

Hey Costia, I have realised my emotional eating has had me humble before Christ as I thought I wasn’t that bad...I thought I could control it and did a Pharisee and judged myself against others that it’s not too bad compared to others but I have realised that once He gets us to acknowledge and confess He made me laugh out loud thinking how ignorant I really was and that it’s all about our growth so we can become better people and breaking out of our fears and limiting beliefs.

my boss is my nemesis and I fear authority but all this emotional eating ties in with fear of authority and so on it goes until I no longer have that issue lol

Via: eating my way through fear☝️

Something that has helped me tremendously is right from the word of God

[Philippians 2:1-4

1 Therefore if [there is] any consolation in Christ, if any comfort of love, if any fellowship of the Spirit, if any affection and mercy,
2 fulfill my joy by being like-minded, having the same love, [being] of one accord, of one mind.
3 [Let] nothing [be done] through selfish ambition or conceit, but in lowliness of mind let each esteem others better than himself.
4 Let each of you look out not only for his own interests, but also for the interests of others.

The underlined word actually means in that context and its grammatical application "to excel, to be superior: τίνος, better than," [Thayer's Greek Lexicon] which drove home to me how we can overcome the sinful spectrum of pride in relation to others, and even fear and misgivings we may have for some.

An example is when someone begins to exhibit road rage because I didn't get out of their way quickly enough on the interstate, rather than to get angry about them, I look at them as being better than myself. Oh, man, that makes such a huge difference, and it destroys any inclination for retaliation, anger, fear, or anything else that may hinder me from seeing them in a way that's more pleasing before the Lord. It helps keep me from having sinful thoughts toward them. It keeps me from making mistakes on the basis of fear or any other fallible emotion we tend toward.

So, if one were to hear my thoughts when having some dealing with someone that's less than pleasant, they would hear, "This one is better than me, so deal with him/her accordingly."

This may not be everyone's way of coping with various emotions we may have toward others, but it sure has helped temper my outlook toward others.

MM

An example is when someone begins to exhibit road rage because I didn't get out of their way quickly enough on the interstate, rather than to get angry about them, I look at them as being better than myself. Oh, man, that makes such a huge difference, and it destroys any inclination for retaliation, anger, fear, or anything else that may hinder me from seeing them in a way that's more pleasing before the Lord. It helps keep me from having sinful thoughts toward them. It keeps me from making mistakes on the basis of fear or any other fallible emotion we tend toward.
With me it’s rage first then the Lord’s conviction, then my repentance. I’ve got some miles of growing still. 🛻🚚 🚓

Hello to all

I know everyone is past this point but in this last week I went through all the verses that have the word poor , in the old and new testaments.

I found that I was wrong in my interpretation of the word
poor in Mathew 5:3.Everyone who argued against my point was right,its not the literal poor but actually its those who have humbled themselves and are in a state of acknowledging that they need help(salvation)they are down and out and in need of a saviour.

It took a few days for the Spirit to convince me through the Word that i was wrong but I was eventually convinced 100% while sitting on my bed thinking about this topic and a thought came into my head about how we respond sometimes when we see a person literally fall and get hurt or we see a child crying..we say "aww that
poor child is crying" or "shame that poor guy just fell really hard and can't get up".And so I was totally convince and a feeling of joy came over me.

Thanks to God our Father and to everybody for their replies on this thread.They really helped.

Blessed are the poor..period full stop..the poor are blessed in their spirit because that is when God can come in and help.Thus the saying "Blessed are the poor in spirit".

Hello RDJ
Your post is wonderful. I admire the way you looked up all the verses that had the word poor in.
When you said a feeling of joy came over you, you passed your joy onto me. Thank you and God Bless you.

Hello to all

I know everyone is past this point but in this last week I went through all the verses that have the word poor , in the old and new testaments.

poor in Mathew 5:3.Everyone who argued against my point was right,its not the literal poor but actually its those who have humbled themselves and are in a state of acknowledging that they need help(salvation)they are down and out and in need of a saviour.

It took a few days for the Spirit to convince me through the Word that i was wrong but I was eventually convinced 100% while sitting on my bed thinking about this topic and a thought came into my head about how we respond sometimes when we see a person literally fall and get hurt or we see a child crying..we say "aww that
poor child is crying" or "shame that poor guy just fell really hard and can't get up".And so I was totally convince and a feeling of joy came over me.

Thanks to God our Father and to everybody for their replies on this thread.They really helped.

Blessed are the poor..period full stop..the poor are blessed in their spirit because that is when God can come in and help.Thus the saying "Blessed are the poor in spirit".

You know, our misconceptions can lead us astray in many ways if we don't study the text in more depth. You've made a good point. If being closer to God was merely a matter of casting our money away and becoming financially poor, I'd do that right now...although not easily since the flesh loves comfort...

MM

My experience when asking God for things like humility, faith, etc., is that God answers and I find myself in a humbling situation or a situation where I need to exercise faith, etc.

When I have asked for those things.....I later wished that I had not asked for those things as I was always on my back looking up.

Hello to all

And that is what I call God speaking to you.

Hey Via
That's some revelatipn you've received. Thank you for sharing that.
Fear is something I have struggled with too. I know how destroying it can be. I still pray for more courage.
We all do different things for comfort. How is it going now?
I’m re connecting to real hunger.
It’s really hard but I’m managing...I am doing a food diary.
I’ve noticed how it’s the mind that craves for immediate satisfaction and wants to bypass the temptations like a bull in a China shop.

ive also noticed that once I have eaten after my stomach growls I have more energy and my mind is more clear!😊

today, has been hard though because I am withdrawing and possibly the devil is not a happy chappy

well stuff him I say... he can go to hell( lol)

Back