The Position of A Husband

The Position of A Husband

This is just a personal project of mines that I told my mom I would do for her knowledge because I feel her husband isn't a good example of what the bible says a husband should be. But first my personal take on what a husband should be...please note I am not married so this is all my opinion of what a husband should be.

A husband should be first a friend..if not your best friend then a very close one. You should be able to be Honest and not afraid to talk about anything with him. If your husband is saved your should be able to pray together, worship together. He should be a provider..meaning bringing home the bacon! In my opinion today there are far too many husband's not taking care of there households the women in many cases is bring home the bacon, frying it, and serving it up. A husband should be the head of his household and nothing less. He should be a respectable man who is the husband of one wife. I do not agree with second marriages unless the spouse of either/both is deceased. Also a couple consist of ONE man and ONE woman, not two men or two women that is not Gods order.Which I will over go over for my own knowledge.

now lets see what the bible says about what a husband should be...

1 Corinthians 7:3
Let the husband render unto the wife due benevolence: and likewise also the wife unto the husband.

Benevolence means to 1.desire to do good to others; goodwill; 2.an act of kindness; a charitable

1 Corinthians 7:4
The wife hath not power of her own body, but the husband: and likewise also the husband hath not power of his own body, but the wife.
This scripture is basically saying that when you are married you become one, you belong to your husband and he belongs to you only. You have no business messing around the anyone else who is not your husband or your wife.

1 Corinthians 7:10
And unto the married I command, yet not I, but the Lord, Let not the wife depart from her husband:

In every marraige everyday the sun isn't always going to shine your going to disagree but you shouldnt leave your husband. Remeber you are one!

1 Corinthians 7:14
For the unbelieving husband is sanctified by the wife, and the unbelieving wife is sanctified by the husband: else were your children unclean; but now are they holy.

This scripture here is really deep you have to just absorb it. I'm going to use myself as an example to explain. Lets say I was married if my husband isnt a believer ( saved) and I am through me my husband is sanctified! Not only him but our children also! If your wondering how that could be so...dont forget when you get married you become ONE.

1 Corinthians 7:16
For what knowest thou, O wife, whether thou shalt save thy husband? or how knowest thou, O man, whether thou shalt save thy wife?

This just takes the scripture above to a even deeper level. Using the same scenerio above... I am a christian woman but my husband isnt my godly example and prayers to Jesus could spark a fire in my husband to want to get to know Jesus to. This is always why it is important to live a solid like built on Jesus at all times you never know who is watching!

Ephesians 5:23
For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church: and he is the saviour of the body.

The husband is the head of the wife, just like God is the head of the church, but what if you marry a man that isnt saved? Who is the head of your household? :eek:

Now onto what the bible says about Second marraiges if you have a living spouse that you have divorced or seperated from.

Mark 10:12
And if a woman shall put away her husband, and be married to another, she committeth adultery.

Luke 16:18
Whosoever putteth away his wife, and marrieth another, committeth adultery: and whosoever marrieth her that is put away from her husband committeth adultery.

Romans 7:2
For the woman which hath an husband is bound by the law to her husband so long as he liveth; but if the husband be dead, she is loosed from the law of her husband.

Romans 7:3
So then if, while her husband liveth, she be married to another man, she shall be called an adulteress: but if her husband be dead, she is free from that law; so that she is no adulteress, though she be married to another man.

1 Corinthians 7:10
And unto the married I command, yet not I, but the Lord, Let not the wife depart from her husband:
1 Corinthians 7:11
But and if she depart, let her remain unmarried or be reconciled to her husband: and let not the husband put away his wife.

1 Corinthians 7:13
And the woman which hath an husband that believeth not, and if he be pleased to dwell with her, let her not leave him.

1 Corinthians 7:39
The wife is bound by the law as long as her husband liveth; but if her husband be dead, she is at liberty to be married to whom she will; only in the Lord.

One thing I love about the word of God is that it is cut and dry. There is no if, ands, or buts, about it. God says what he means, and he means what he says. Im totally open for discussion comment away.. im intrested in hearing everyones view.

Thanks sis! If we can but surrender our hearts to the One who loves us we will be the men and women of God the our heavenly Father created us to be.

My dear Sister,
These are the hard but much needed scriptures to study...The Lord knows we could ALL be better examples of what a christian man or woman; single or married SHOULD be. After 9 years, my dh and I have gotten through the hard "self" years where there was "mine/yours" opinions and have come to a great place of respecting, honoring and loving my husband on a new level...it goes FAR beyond the "do-es and and don't-s"....

Colossians 3:18-19

18 Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as it is fit in the Lord. 19 Husbands, love your wives, and be not bitter against them.
Ephesians 5:21-25

21Submitting yourselves one to another in the fear of God.
22Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as unto the Lord. 23For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church: and he is the saviour of the body.
24Therefore as the church is subject unto Christ, so let the wives be to their own husbands in every thing. 25 Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it.

The book Love and Respect by Emerson Eggerichs really explains these scriptures the BEST ever! If it were natural for women to respect and SUBMIT to their own husbands; would we need to be commanded by the Lord? How about our husbands; if it were a natural response to LOVE their wives; would they need the Lord to speak to them to do it? In this is the mystery of marriage; the church, relationships, honor and power in the Holy Ghost through the authority that God has established in the home and church.

For us women: I think we have enough to study in these scriptures alone; I think my dh will have to work out what is commanded of him because I am too busy with my own.:D

Proverbs 10-31
Who can find a virtuous woman? for her price is far above rubies.

The heart of her husband doth safely trust in her, so that he shall have no need of spoil.
She will do him good and not evil all the days of her life.
She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands.
She is like the merchants' ships; she bringeth her food from afar.
She riseth also while it is yet night, and giveth meat to her household, and a portion to her maidens.
She considereth a field, and buyeth it: with the fruit of her hands she planteth a vineyard.
She girdeth her loins with strength, and strengtheneth her arms.
She perceiveth that her merchandise is good: her candle goeth not out by night.
She layeth her hands to the spindle, and her hands hold the distaff.
She stretcheth out her hand to the poor; yea, she reacheth forth her hands to the needy.
She is not afraid of the snow for her household: for all her household are clothed with scarlet.
She maketh herself coverings of tapestry; her clothing is silk and purple.
Her husband is known in the gates, when he sitteth among the elders of the land.
She maketh fine linen, and selleth it; and delivereth girdles unto the merchant.
Strength and honour are her clothing; and she shall rejoice in time to come.
She openeth her mouth with wisdom; and in her tongue is the law of kindness.
She looketh well to the ways of her household, and eateth not the bread of idleness.
Her children arise up, and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praiseth her.
Many daughters have done virtuously, but thou excellest them all.
Favour is deceitful, and beauty is vain: but a woman that feareth the LORD, she shall be praised. Give her of the fruit of her hands; and let her own works praise her in the gates.

:amen:to that, JRF!

I agree totally with everything you pointed out here.

When I get a husband I want one like that. I hope to find and marry a man who not only cares for me but my child and who can take care of his family! I'm not the one making the source of income here by myself, y'know. :)

Thank you so very much.

NTG

Dear JRF,

Most admirable wish list. Most women settle for much, much less. My wife did. I had two arms and two legs - and she was happy. ;)

Dear JRF,

Most admirable wish list. Most women settle for much, much less. My wife did. I had two arms and two legs - and she was happy. ;)

Yah right, Larry II ..... I saw the wink.

I think it is a bit unrealistic but who am I ? And if you put all those wish lists up .... it may hinder you from finding Mr. Right. JMO

And maybe your mom likes her husband the way he is .

A husband and a wife should be a team and partner together, worship God in one accord, pray and have devotions together, and both be submissive to each other .

I can say all that cause I am single , but have been married.

Blessed are the husband and wife who do not major on each others faults!:)

MODEL WIFE. I PETER 3:1-6;EPH 5:22; Ways to win a husband to God. 1.Submit to and obey husband. 2.Obey the word. 3.Have chaste conversation. 4.Let not the outward adorning be the cheif aim of the life. 5.Let the inner man be adorned more than the outer man. 6.Trust in God. 7.Live faithful to the husband,so that there will be no fear of being found guilty of infidelity. 8.Do well. 9.Be a prayer warrior. 10.Have fellowship with Godly women.

:D
Dear JRF,

lol! You are too funny. I honestly dont think I am asking for that much, I want a husband who is bringing home a steady check, faithful, loving, knows God, and most of all Loves me for me. Thats it! And to put it nicely my moms husband sucks.

Its easy as pie.:D

:D

lol! You are too funny. I honestly dont think I am asking for that much, I want a husband who is bringing home a steady check, faithful, loving, knows God, and most of all Loves me for me. Thats it! And to put it nicely my moms husband sucks.

Its easy as pie.:D

Yes, definately one who drags his butt out of bed in the morning and goes to work and does a good job. Eventually he will get promoted and have more income. I've seen so many who don't and always remain on the entry level and often unemployed - especially those with a propensity for addiction. Spiritual is the first priority of course.

Wish list is quite correct. In all the years God had Counciled couples thru me, anyone would be hard pressed to prove most women aren't asking for much. Most of the divisions between husband's and wives are -

A- Women don't feel as tho they are a person in a marriage, but this guys wife, etc. They want to be known for who they are.

or

B- They want equal authority with the husband.

As a result, from "A", we end up with marriages strained, because they are living together as a couple, but basically seperate lives as individuals.

From "B", we end up with women "wearing the pants" in the family which causes strife for the fighting and arguing over major decisions trying to be made and what is taught the children.

And people wonder why the divorce rate has climbed higher than the rate of marriages now.

Where I help Moderate, there were 2-3 requests for prayers for young couples married less than a year, just in the last 10 days time. and many others before that as well with less than 8-10 years of marriage.

The average age of children involved in these divisions are around 2 months- 2 years old. Going back thru my records of couples Counciled, it shows that unsaved numbers are not much above the numbers of True Christian Couples Counciled. Thats not saying much for Couples supposedly living according to God's guidance as His True Children.

Both men and women who are True Children of God have to come more accurately inline with God if marriages are going to work.

God Bless!!

Daniels said:
MODEL WIFE. I PETER 3:1-6;EPH 5:22; Ways to win a husband to God. 1.Submit to and obey husband. 2.Obey the word. 3.Have chaste conversation. 4.Let not the outward adorning be the cheif aim of the life. 5.Let the inner man be adorned more than the outer man. 6.Trust in God. 7.Live faithful to the husband,so that there will be no fear of being found guilty of infidelity. 8.Do well. 9.Be a prayer warrior. 10.Have fellowship with Godly women.

If only it were this easy to win a husband to God.............

It is not easy but the prayer of faith can move mountains. My Father in law gave his heart to Christ and was screamed at, degraded, mocked, cursed and tormented by his lost wife every time he faithfully went to church, read his bible or etc. My mother in law fought hard but in the end she came to Christ before passing on to the next world. I have seen it to many times- God is faithful.

I got divorced because my ex-wife was demanding, overbearing, an alcoholic, and posessive. Seriously, she used to go through the trashcan to see if I'd thrown away any phone numbers.:( She wanted me to ask permission before I bought anything, she wanted to run the house and our marriage. She didn't believe in equality for women - she believed that all women were superior to men. :(I was her third husband. I wonder why.:rolleyes:

Anyways, yeah...while there is a position of a husband, there is also a position of a wife. A husband isn't the owner of the wife. He should take charge in the marriage and fulfill his obligations as stated in the bible, as the head.

Back in college, a girl who was interested in me once asked me while we were listening to the radio (When A Man Loves A Woman was playing): "Would you sleep out in the rain for me? If you loved me?" I told her, "If I loved you...would you make me sleep out in the rain? And how about vice-versa? Would you sleep out in the rain for me? Equal rights, ya know.;)"

Both have responsibilities in a relationship. Our first and foremost duty should be to our God.;)

LOL whirlwind. sorry :p but your ex-wife's story made me chuckle a bit :$

I like what you told that woman haha :D! yay

to the OP I am in agreement with your first post :)
But in another post you said you expect a steady pay check
I'd rather live poor with a wife that loves the Lord and I and everyone else while both of us worshiping God and preaching, than rich.

Would you accept a poor man who loves God more than you but also puts you second after God and before the world ? or a man with a "steady" pay check that is a normal christian, not too motivated for anything ?

Or if a man loves God a lot and has a steady pay check, etc.. yet during your marriage he becomes poor, would you remain? I think you will :) But just small questions that crossed my mind sis!
God bless !!

LOL whirlwind. sorry :p but your ex-wife's story made me chuckle a bit :$

I like what you told that woman haha :D! yay

to the OP I am in agreement with your first post :)
But in another post you said you expect a steady pay check
I'd rather live poor with a wife that loves the Lord and I and everyone else while both of us worshiping God and preaching, than rich.

Would you accept a poor man who loves God more than you but also puts you second after God and before the world ? or a man with a "steady" pay check that is a normal christian, not too motivated for anything ?

Or if a man loves God a lot and has a steady pay check, etc.. yet during your marriage he becomes poor, would you remain? I think you will :) But just small questions that crossed my mind sis!
God bless !!

Good questions , Ramsey.:goodpost::goodpost:

To me it is more important the man puts God first before me and loves the Lord with all his heart.... no matter if he is poor in fact it says blessed are the poor for theirs is the kingdom of God so we would be blessed.

You see that is the world's standard .... M O n e y .... But we are not of the world . I have a heavenly Father who owns the cattle on a thousand hills and He will provide.

My Heavenly Father owns all money and gold and the whole universe is His :D!! There is no money in God's Kingdom that will soon come :)

That is a good question for our sister...When I was single, I prayed that my husband-to-be would love God with all his heart; be a man of the Word and of prayer. I didn't pray for financial riches, I didn't expect them and didn't get them but I got SO MUCH MORE that money cannot buy. I just figured that, for the most part, if he were to be rich in wordly wealth that he would likely be very spiritually poor. I certainly did not want a "spiritually poor man"...God did not give me one!!!:DWe will celebrate 10 years of marriage (about 5 years of wedded bliss...;)) this coming January.

Amen Worshipper :)
What will come out of a worldly man or woman? nothing really, some pleasure for a few years on earth followed by eternal damnation.

what do you mean by 5 years of Wedded bliss ? What does that mean :p? Since you said 10 years of marriage.

Back