The Questions They Say Christians Can't Answer

In Matthew 5:34, Jesus says to not swear an oath at all, either by heaven, for it is God's throne. James 5:12 also says not to swear an oath. Not by heaven, or earth, or anything else. Simply let your 'yes' be 'yes', and your 'no' be 'no'.

What are Christians to do when they are called to be a witness in a court of law? The bailiff will ask if you swear to tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth (and sometimes add "so help you God").

I've often wondered what would happen if I were to say, "No. The God on whom you want me to swear says not to do it. I will not swear, but I will let my yes be yes, and my no be no"

That's an awesome question. I would love to see that exchange.

I have another; if there are other gospels such as the gospel of Mary, Judas and Thomas, and the gospels were to be inspired by God, how come they did not become canon? What about other books like the book of Enoch?

Hello again Brian and thanks for commenting again. Paul and the other Apostles literally wrote hundreds if not thousands of letters to churches including the one's we have in the New Testament canon. Bringing it together in a seamless and unconflicting way (in their original Hebrew and Greek texts) simply could not have been done by man. I've read some of the other books like you mentioned and when you do read them in the light of scripture, you can see they are good not quite what God wanted for his scriptures......God bless Brian....

Hello again Brian and thanks for commenting again. Paul and the other Apostles literally wrote hundreds if not thousands of letters to churches including the one's we have in the New Testament canon. Bringing it together in a seamless and unconflicting way (in their original Hebrew and Greek texts) simply could not have been done by man. I've read some of the other books like you mentioned and when you do read them in the light of scripture, you can see they are good not quite what God wanted for his scriptures......God bless Brian....

I actually have a book on how the gospels came together. Of course they were inspired by God. It will be an interesting read when I get around to it. It's called 'The Canon of Scripture' by F.F. Bruce. Not sure if you or anyone else is familiar with it but it's on my agenda.

1. Why won't God heal amputees?
2. Why is God invisible?

1. He won't? He won't if the person doesn't believe He will. Just this morning I watched a woman give a testimony of her husband who was dying, having lost most of his colon, come to vigorous new health because God grew him a new colon. Intestines do not grow. A. Maz. Ing!

2. God cannot be seen with our fleshly eyes because we cannot see spiritual beings, and God is Spirit.

1. He won't? He won't if the person doesn't believe He will. Just this morning I watched a woman give a testimony of her husband who was dying, having lost most of his colon, come to vigorous new health because God grew him a new colon. Intestines do not grow. A. Maz. Ing!

The argument put forth was for an amputee (arm, leg) not something internal.

The argument put forth was for an amputee (arm, leg) not something internal.

Hello ASUK, healing is one of those subjects which cause contention so all I could personally say to that one, is that of God so lead me to lay hands on an individual missing a limb, then I would do so. I've laid and hands and seen others lay hands for healing even healings taking place miles away but when it comes to lost limbs, closest I've seen in the Word is when Jesus healed the withered man's hand and the closest our family has seen was at an event close by held by an Evangelist. He gave a call for any who needed God to heal them and one guy went up in a wheelchair and he had no knees. I mean straight legs, the evangelist prayed and his knees grew in right before the congregations eyes, a few gave their life to Jesus that night!!! God bless and thanks for the questions...

It's the same thing! Look at Brian's reply---Jesus returned Malchus' ear to his head.

I'm certainly not denying that people are healed whether it's internally or externally but an atheist will tell you there is no empirical evidence or proof of it.

I'm certainly not denying that people are healed whether it's internally or externally but an atheist will tell you there is no empirical evidence or proof of it.

When science is all they have to lean on, would you expect anything different?

How about this one:

Mr. Red - That's not irony, it's you thinking that me pointing out the evil in the bible is me being evil, so really you're a devil for being a sheep to an evil book.

Mr Blue - But you didn't point out any evil in the bible. You just made an empty statement.

Mr Red -
Didn't think I needed to.

Psalms 137:9
"How blessed will be the one who seizes and dashes your little ones against the rock,"

Exodus 21:20
"When a man strikes his male or female slave with a rod so hard that the slave dies under his hand, he shall be punished. If, however, the slave survives for a day or two, he is not to be punished, since the slave is his own property."

Deuteronomy 22:23
"If within the city a man comes upon a maiden who is betrothed, and has relations with her, you shall bring them both out of the gate of the city and there stone them to death: the girl because she did not cry out for help though she was in the city, and the man because he violated his neighbors wife."

Ephesians 6:5
"Slaves, obey your earthly masters with deep respect and fear. Serve them sincerely as you would serve Christ."

There u go

Hello, I've posted the Psalm 137 verse 9 answer if you'd like to view....

Our previous pastor used to take people on short term mission trips (Mexico, China, etc). There were definite miracles on some of those trips. I had often thought that an atheist should go along with them, as just an observer, to witness those miracles first-hand.

For a second I thought all my beloved brothers have started to backslide.. asking such questions :D And now I see the context of this thread!!

In Matthew 5:34, Jesus says to not swear an oath at all, either by heaven, for it is God's throne. James 5:12 also says not to swear an oath. Not by heaven, or earth, or anything else. Simply let your 'yes' be 'yes', and your 'no' be 'no'.

What are Christians to do when they are called to be a witness in a court of law? The bailiff will ask if you swear to tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth (and sometimes add "so help you God").

I've often wondered what would happen if I were to say, "No. The God on whom you want me to swear says not to do it. I will not swear, but I will let my yes be yes, and my no be no"

Hello Tropicalbound, that is an absolutely brilliant question friends, I'll be adding that to my list! Answer soon...

Apolgies for the lateness of this reply - in the context of the words of Jesus, he was reffering to the very common practice of swearing oaths, it had become a bit of nonsense activity and at the time Jesus wished to rebuke for their irreverence toward the things God himself had blessed - heaven/throne - earth/footstool so along with many other examples, he basically said that in gereral conversation to let your yes be a yes and your no be a no and stop the irreverce toward the Lord.

So today yes, we should be very careful as to swear oaths by anything which is blessed by God especially our own heads but when it comes to a court room, it's was requirement of any court, especially back on those times to tell the truth and publicly swear that you would. This would be a righteous oath and a requirement by law however, I personally would not swear before the Lord in this manner, I would say I promise to tell the truth or I will tell the truth but swearing before god, no....

Which they deduce with a healed mind. They could be brain damaged and deduce nothing.

Back