The Soul

I've read that the soul is made up of the mind, the will (or desire) and emotions.

I think the soul is the unique part of us that makes us human.
We have a body, a soul and a spirit.
People that are unbelievers I guess just have a body and a soul. Or if they have a spirit it's not the holy spirit.
I also heard that animals just have bodies and spirits but no souls.

First mention of soul in the Bible is Genesis 2:7 where it says
And the Lord God formed man out of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, and man became a living soul.

You know that painting in the Sistine Chapel by Michelangelo called the creation of Adam and its shows Adam, who is lying naked on a treeless rock and God is pointing at him with his finger and it looks like he's giving him an electric shock. Well that isn't even in the Bible so am not sure where that comes from!

What is a soul made up of?

Like, I could say I like cheese. You may not like cheese. Is our desires a part of our soul along with our beliefs ?
What else makes up our souls?
Let me ask you something.
Do you believe your earthly experience wholly defines who you are?
If your experience becomes impaired does that 'absolutely' change who you are?
I find savants interesting. Where does that ability come from? They usually can't explain it.
Could it be that these bodies are simply pipe lines of various configurations expressing something from the other side.

Of course the soul is a life and the Christian has a new body waiting. I'm thinking that those who do not receive a new body will be in a floundering state - what ever that is.
To sum it up - ??? Let's wait and see🙂

Let me ask you something.
Do you believe your earthly experience wholly defines who you are?
If your experience becomes impaired does that 'absolutely' change who you are?
I find savants interesting. Where does that ability come from? They usually can't explain it.
Could it be that these bodies are simply pipe lines of various configurations expressing something from the other side.

Of course the soul is a life and the Christian has a new body waiting. I'm thinking that those who do not receive a new body will be in a floundering state - what ever that is.
To sum it up - ??? Let's wait and see🙂
I will have to check..

but off the hat, no I don't believe what happens to us says who we are. although one time I unconsciously did. I think it was a perception.
I was miserable for ages. because I believed, after being dumped by my soulmate, I was not good enough for love. so now years later, I don't care whether I am good enough or not anymore...but how can I know if it has 'absolutely' changed me?

good questions😊

Last edited:
I will have to check..

but off the hat, no I don't believe what happens to us says who we are. although one time I unconsciously did. I think it was a perception.
I was miserable for ages. because I believed, after being dumped by my soulmate, I was not good enough for love. so now years later, I don't care whether I am good enough or not anymore...but how can I know if it has 'absolutely' changed me?

good questions😊
To rise above the earthly - 'good enough or not' is a huge milestone that I think we are all struggling with. Glad to hear that one is behind you.
The 'absolute change' only the Lord and you know.
My personal position is - the main stream of things is never of God, for God takes 'out of' not just throwing the door open.

What is a soul made up of?

Like, I could say I like cheese. You may not like cheese. Is our desires a part of our soul along with our beliefs ?
What else makes up our souls?
I'm a two-parter...

Genesis 2:7 (KJV) And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.

God's spirit + man's body = human soul.

Unfortunately, due to the Fall it has been marred beyond recognition.

I'm a two-parter...

Genesis 2:7 (KJV) And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.

God's spirit + man's body = human soul.

Unfortunately, due to the Fall it has been marred beyond recognition.
Isn’t our spirit and Gods Spirit not different?
I see the two words with slightly different ways of writing. One is capitalised and the other isn’t..

Isn’t our spirit and Gods Spirit not different?
I see the two words with slightly different ways of writing. One is capitalised and the other isn’t..
There are no caps in the Greek or even Hebrew originals. Yes, we are not God but have his life.
Maybe you can explain Gen 2.7 differently, but I see the soul as an inseparable interaction between body and (human) spirit.
The Christian's soul has been quickened by God's Spirit.
Good minds differ on this topic.

There are no caps in the Greek or even Hebrew originals. Yes, we are not God but have his life.
Maybe you can explain Gen 2.7 differently, but I see the soul as an inseparable interaction between body and (human) spirit.
I tend to see this as we have a soul that is our mind and thoughts, while our spirit is the part that fellowships with God, is dead until born again!

I tend to see this as we have a soul that is our mind and thoughts, while our spirit is the part that fellowships with God, is dead until born again!
1 Corinthians 2:16 (KJV) For who hath known the mind of the Lord, that he may instruct him? But we have the mind of Christ.

The topic can get real sticky.

so do i. but I thought I may have been wrong. thanks for clarifying.

Major, just the fact that you have answered my post is a blessing!
You always make me smile you know that😊

I am glad! There is so much suffering and pain in the world we have to smile once in awhile.

crossnote said.......
1 Corinthians 2:16 (KJV) For who hath known the mind of the Lord, that he may instruct him? But we have the mind of Christ.

The topic can get real sticky.

I agree 100% with that.

Back