The Worlds Greatest Problems

Casting this wider net you speak of, has also brought me this grief I speak of. A wrong partner might be an anchor that sinks the boat. The more I try, the more I find those that simply claim to be Christian's. Water seeks its own level, and actions speak louder than words. I would find happiness in a partner to share life with, but I am content with solitude as well. I do not need companionship, I want to be edified by a truly Christian union with someone that can walk the walk. Should I lower my standards? Maybe I should raise them even more, cause they are not mine but belong to my Father.
Yes, you speak of a risk everyone takes, when taking on a life partner. To be honest with you, after my second divorce, I had no interest in a third wife. I was married twice and had three kids. This one just happened without me looking for it.

I was very happy being by myself and, again, to be honest with you, it was a little difficult taking on two new kids to help raise. I remember the first time the wife (She lived in Miami, FL) and her two kids came to visit me in DC. I had a condo in Old Town and I kept it pristine conditions. I even buffed and polished the kitchen sink on a nightly basis. I use to vacuum every night, just so I could wake up in the morning and see the lines the vacuum left on the carpet. A day after the wife (fiancé at the time) came to visit with her kid, the house was a mess and remained that way until the kids became adults and mover away. (Yes, I had issues)

I guess we all have to manage the risk and decide what is within acceptable levels.

rtm3039

Indeed, and I am simply at a different place in life for the kid thing being mine are adults. Being accustomed to a great deal of leisure, solitude, and travel time, allowances to change for a partner are worth the reward. However raising children again isn't my cup of tea.

Indeed, and I am simply at a different place in life for the kid thing being mine are adults. Being accustomed to a great deal of leisure, solitude, and travel time, allowances to change for a partner are worth the reward. However raising children again isn't my cup of tea.
I get that too. Mine are all adults and we have five grandkids. For the moment; however, have one of the sons, his wife, and two of the grandkids living at the house. To be honest with you, I enjoy the insanity more than the quiet.

Power to you my brother in Christ. I didn't do the kid thing very well even when mine were young. I thought a clean house, maintained yard, all bills always paid, food on the table, and a stable home was enough. They needed my time, which I had too little to give being a forced workaholic. Being a single parent was tough, and stretching my day was truly a talent. Some of us however, are not as talented in the child raising area. That's another world problem; bad parenting skills.

Im eternally thankful for my church family at the time. They picked up a lot of my slack.

Power to you my brother in Christ. I didn't do the kid thing very well even when mine were young. I thought a clean house, maintained yard, all bills always paid, food on the table, and a stable home was enough. They needed my time, which I had too little to give being a forced workaholic. Being a single parent was tough, and stretching my day was truly a talent. Some of us however, are not as talented in the child raising area. That's another world problem; bad parenting skills.

Im eternally thankful for my church family at the time. They picked up a lot of my slack.
I can only imagine how hard it must have been being a single parent; especially a single father. I do get the not being at home part. Raising a family is difficult and I too did not do a great job of being there. Thank God my wife was around, as she picked up the slack on a daily basis. As a fellow workaholic, I often times became consumed with my job and missed out on many significant family events. The good news is that, now that my kids are adults, we all have a good relationship with each other and no one appears to have regrets about times when things were not as good as they should have been.

Look at it this way, through the grace of God, we are here on Sunday. I am off to service and looking forward to meeting up with by church family for most of the morning and a bit of the afternoon. Work wise, this next two weeks are going to be harsh, but I now fully realize that my reward will not come from this earthly task and that I need to keep my head looking upwards and my feet moving forward.

God bless you, Bro.

Well...….I hear you and agree but the news is, when the kids are grown and move away, along come the grand kids.

Then we (Grandparents) find ourselves doing more for them than we did our children. One of my grand sons is graduation from high school this year and
guess who was asked to buy him a car???

You are both truly blessed. Both of my daughters cannot have children. My youngest lost her baby after trying with IVF twice. Motherhood is still a great challenge for me daily. Its different because my eldest has so few memories of their father. My youngest has none. I had to wear so many hats I did not do any of them well except for provider. They always had what they needed but my time. Now as adults they harbor resentment still because of this.

I am female, btw.

You are both truly blessed. Both of my daughters cannot have children. My youngest lost her baby after trying with IVF twice. Motherhood is still a great challenge for me daily. Its different because my eldest has so few memories of their father. My youngest has none. I had to wear so many hats I did not do any of them well except for provider. They always had what they needed but my time. Now as adults they harbor resentment still because of this.

I am female, btw.

Hm.... "I am twice a widow myself," okay, I win the stupid aware for the month of October. Well, that changes the rules a bit. It does force me to ponder this: I know of so many women who are single, some with kids, but all looking for a "good man." I know more single women looking than single men, so I am not sure how that works out.

At the end of the day, I do not believe we are meant to live alone. We are creatures of community. I know one guy (very close friend of mine) who has lived alone most of his life, but did have a wife and has four adult kids. He is a nice guy, but his baggage is his physical health. Just goes to show you that some of the things we value the most are the most insignificant. My buddy, Bob, is retired and has more money than he needs. In the past year, he has bought himself both a Corvette and a Mercedes; however, he is in a wheelchair and hardly ever gets the opportunity of doing much.

In the past couple of years, Bob has grown more angry with life (his particular version of life). A couple of months ago I suggested he try attending church and trying to meet people. His anger of religion is so grate that my suggestion almost ended a friendship of close to 30 years. I just hate to watch Bob journey, because he is also loosing the use of his right arm and, at some point, will need someone to help take care of him and he basically has no one. He has parents and several siblings, but he does not want to burden them with this. He is apparently not close to his kids, one of which lives within a couple of miles from Bob, but they sometimes go for years without seeing each other.

Live is really a handful.

rtm3039

I am female, btw.
Well, to be honest with you, that's on them not you. I grew up in a very dysfunctional household. By dad was very selfish. He was a night club singer and worked all but Mondays. He had affairs, but was never abusive to me or my sister. He was emotionally abusive to my mom. I lived at home, until I enlisted in the military at 18. Growing up, my dad and I did two things together (went to one boxing event and one football game). In both cases, his friends talked him into taking me.

We now move the clock forward from 1978 to 2016. When both my parents were getting ill (mon with Alzheimer's and dad with congestive heart failure), I decided to retire from my government career and move back home to take care of them. My parents lived with us, until my mom's death in 2012 and my dad's in 2016. My mom's Alzheimer's meant that she had no idea who I was. I did get to watch how dedicated my dad had become to taking care of my mom and he and I grew really close. Not once did I allow the past to impact our relationship.

As an adult, we should all understand that our parents mostly just do the best they can. They are not perfect and sometimes the circumstances do dictate how people conduct themselves. During their last years on this earth, I became the parent and I am very glad they I was able to take care of them during their end times.

rtm3039

I took care of many now gone, but they remain alive in my heart. Love never dies, only people do. Im happy our Lord blessed me with the ability, means, and desire to do so. My parents were two I repeatedly moved back and forth to NY to help take care of, while still trying to live my own life. In my mothers final years we had home care helping, as it was too much physical strain. She had a stroke that left her paralyzed on the right side.

Life is certainly a handful indeed. I survive through the strength of Christ in me. Might we all shine the light he has given us.

I took care of many now gone, but they remain alive in my heart. Love never dies, only people do. Im happy our Lord blessed me with the ability, means, and desire to do so. My parents were two I repeatedly moved back and forth to NY to help take care of, while still trying to live my own life. In my mothers final years we had home care helping, as it was too much physical strain. She had a stroke that left her paralyzed on the right side.

Life is certainly a handful indeed. I survive through the strength of Christ in me. Might we all shine the light he has given us.

May the Lord bless you. I know exactly where you are coming from.

My wife and I took care of her mother for 6 years as she also was paralyzed after a stroke. Both my father and hers passed quickly with heart attacks.
Then we had my mother at home with us for her last 10 years.

She had dementia and memory loss and it was certainly a challange.

Well, to be honest with you, that's on them not you. I grew up in a very dysfunctional household. By dad was very selfish. He was a night club singer and worked all but Mondays. He had affairs, but was never abusive to me or my sister. He was emotionally abusive to my mom. I lived at home, until I enlisted in the military at 18. Growing up, my dad and I did two things together (went to one boxing event and one football game). In both cases, his friends talked him into taking me.

We now move the clock forward from 1978 to 2016. When both my parents were getting ill (mon with Alzheimer's and dad with congestive heart failure), I decided to retire from my government career and move back home to take care of them. My parents lived with us, until my mom's death in 2012 and my dad's in 2016. My mom's Alzheimer's meant that she had no idea who I was. I did get to watch how dedicated my dad had become to taking care of my mom and he and I grew really close. Not once did I allow the past to impact our relationship.

As an adult, we should all understand that our parents mostly just do the best they can. They are not perfect and sometimes the circumstances do dictate how people conduct themselves. During their last years on this earth, I became the parent and I am very glad they I was able to take care of them during their end times.

rtm3039

I hear you brother. My parents taught me how to treat my children by how they did not treat me. As I have grown older and wiser, I know that how they acted was how they were treated by their parents.

In all my early life, playing little league base ball, high school football, basketball and baseball, my father came to ONE game. My mother did not attend any of them.

I received a scholarship in baseball and the only time my father saw me play was when our pastor shamed him into attending.

Now, with my children and grandchildren, I made it a point to attend every event that they were involved in.

I am female, btw.

Time is important.

To most children, me included, I think the ones we wanted to impress the most was our parents. I think that deep down we all think that if we can show our parents that we can do things......play sports, sing in a choir, play in the band and so forth, we validate that we are somebody and that we are going to be successful.

My parents did not give me any time at all and for a long time I resented them for it. It has taken a lot for me to forgive them but I have.

I'm picking up this thread cos I find it interesting and ppl have posted new things since I was here last.

I agree that one of the biggest problems facing world today is breakdown of families, specifically parent/child relationships.
In fact this is close to God's heart, which is why He sent his only son Jesus to die for us so we could be reconciled to our Heavenly Father.

Before Jesus, people did not relate to God as a Father. The Israelites were scared of Him. They didn't think He loved them, in the way a Father loves his own children. Adam and Eve tried to hide from Him. In the Bible He had to be obeyed without question or there were terrible consequences. People just couldn't see that it was because He loved his creation.

What do you think the worlds greatest problems are? Pollution, corruption, war, or food/water shortages? Over population maybe?
I think man's greed, and the lack of faith in God is a good place to start. Please post your polite personal philosophies you would like to share, and discuss.
To me the biggest problem is spiritual decline.

To me the biggest problem is spiritual decline.

I would agree.

May I post a Scripture that just might fit the conversation.

2 Thessalonians 2:1-6 ........
"Now we beseech you, brethren, by the coming of our LORD Jesus Christ, and by our gathering together unto him, 2That ye be not soon shaken in mind, or be troubled, neither by spirit, nor by word, nor by letter as from us, as that the day of Christ is at hand. 3Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition; 4Who opposeth and exalteth himself above all that is called God, or that is worshipped; so that he as God sitteth in the temple of God, shewing himself that he is God. 5Remember ye not, that, when I was yet with you, I told you these things? 6And now ye know what withholdeth that he might be revealed in his time."

According to the Scriptures, before Jesus comes again there must be a "FALLING AWAY/APOSTASY". Then the church will be removed and Then the A/C will be revealed.

When we look around today at all the chaos, all the anger and rebellion against the Word of God, and against authority we come to the conclusion that the world in general is "falling away" from God.

Its not so much spiritual decline, for many person's are indeed "spiritual" outside of the Christian faith. It is the decline of Godly fear, and consequence for one's actions leading to the repentance of sin. I remember as a child having fear which kept me not only safe, but well behaved. I was taught to repent and ask Jesus Christ for forgiveness. I was taught to feel guilt, and God is watching me. Most children in this technological age have little fear, nor comprehend there is a consequence for their actions. Personal accountability is another problem today.
lucky you but people forget that in all ages from the very beginning in the garden Satan has tempted people so you can't say it's only a problem for today. And also not everyone goes to a school or has a teacher that teaches these things. This is why Paul warned about FALSE teachers who are wolves.

Adam did fear God but he still ate the forbidden fruit. He was guilty. Thats why he hid and lied about his actions.
There was a consequence, he did die. He was banished from the garden.

Eve can't be said to have had little fear but she was deceived (or beguiled) and it is said in the Bible that people perish for lack of knowledge. The very knowledge Eve craved was not the sort of knowledge God wanted her to have though (as there were two trees in the garden)

So I would say deception as Major has pointed out in scripture is a huge problem for the world today. People don't know the truth or understand it. They are easily led astray. Paul writes 'remember I told you these things' and here's another problem, people forget.

World's Worst...children, teachers and parents is a book series by David Walliams, which is hugely popular with young readers.

But not heard of any book yet titled 'World's Greatest Problems'. Could be a maths book. Maybe Guinness could publish it.

Back