Things God Cannot Do.

I've touched on, a few times, things God is incapable of, which I like talking about because the more I think of it, the more it shows His power and love, despite the way the statement may even sound.

I figured, just as a thinking exercise, as an opening to discussion, and as a way to even reflect on who God really is, instead of listing what God can do, let's list the things He cannot do.

For example:
God cannot force love toward himself. Love, by definition, is freely given, and this is why our love for God is not only voluntary, but His love for us is too.

God cannot deceive.
God cannot learn.
God cannot change.
Actually that's not true:

Learned:
Hebrews 5:8 (KJV)
Though he were a Son, yet learned he obedience by the things which he suffered;

Changed His mind... but I guess that doesn't mean He changed Himself...
Genesis 6:6-7 (KJV)
And it repented the LORD that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him at his heart. And the LORD said, I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth; both man, and beast, and the creeping thing, and the fowls of the air; for it repenteth me that I have made them.

Exodus 32:14 (KJV)
And the LORD repented of the evil which he thought to do unto his people.

Psalms 106:45 (KJV)
And he remembered for them his covenant, and repented according to the multitude of his mercies.

1 Chronicles 21:15 (KJV)
And God sent an angel unto Jerusalem to destroy it: and as he was destroying, the LORD beheld, and he repented him of the evil, and said to the angel that destroyed, It is enough, stay now thine hand. And the angel of the LORD stood by the threshingfloor of Ornan the Jebusite.

Jeremiah 18:8 (KJV)
If that nation, against whom I have pronounced, turn from their evil, I will repent of the evil that I thought to do unto them.

Jeremiah 26:13 (KJV)
Therefore now amend your ways and your doings, and obey the voice of the LORD your God; and the LORD will repent him of the evil that he hath pronounced against you.

Jeremiah 26:15 (KJV)
But know ye for certain, that if ye put me to death, ye shall surely bring innocent blood upon yourselves, and upon this city, and upon the inhabitants thereof: for of a truth the LORD hath sent me unto you to speak all these words in your ears.

Jeremiah 26:19 (KJV)
Did Hezekiah king of Judah and all Judah put him at all to death? did he not fear the LORD, and besought the LORD, and the LORD repented him of the evil which he had pronounced against them? Thus might we procure great evil against our souls.

Amos 7:3 (KJV)
The LORD repented for this: It shall not be, saith the LORD.

Amos 7:6 (KJV)
The LORD repented for this: This also shall not be, saith the Lord GOD.

Jonah 3:10 (KJV)
And God saw their works, that they turned from their evil way; and God repented of the evil, that he had said that he would do unto them; and he did [it] not.

Jonah 4:2 (KJV)
And he prayed unto the LORD, and said, I pray thee, O LORD, [was] not this my saying, when I was yet in my country? Therefore I fled before unto Tarshish: for I knew that thou [art] a gracious God, and merciful, slow to anger, and of great kindness, and repentest thee of the evil.

Certainly the first one though is true :)

I've touched on, a few times, things God is incapable of, which I like talking about because the more I think of it, the more it shows His power and love, despite the way the statement may even sound.

I figured, just as a thinking exercise, as an opening to discussion, and as a way to even reflect on who God really is, instead of listing what God can do, let's list the things He cannot do.

For example:
God cannot force love toward himself. Love, by definition, is freely given, and this is why our love for God is not only voluntary, but His love for us is too.
God cannot do evil..

I disagree. God cannot change. Think about this for a second. God is perfect. If God changes, then either whatever changed wasn't perfect before, or its not perfect now. If God is perfect (which I believe regardless of the replies), then he cannot change.

I disagree. God cannot change. Think about this for a second. God is perfect. If God changes, then either whatever changed wasn't perfect before, or its not perfect now. If God is perfect (which I believe regardless of the replies), then he cannot change.
I agree with this. I think all those verses explain God's feeling, if I may use the term.. It is just the way God felt.. Not that He is changing his mind..

One popular question I've heard is can God make a rock so heavy that He can't lift it.

The answer is no. He is incapable of creating something outside of Hisown strength.

One of the strangest I ever heard someone ask is 'can God make a burrito so hot He can't eat it'. Those kind of questions I think contain a fallacy.

Actually that's not true:

Learned:
Hebrews 5:8 (KJV)
Though he were a Son, yet learned he obedience by the things which he suffered;

Changed His mind... but I guess that doesn't mean He changed Himself...
Genesis 6:6-7 (KJV)
And it repented the LORD that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him at his heart. And the LORD said, I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth; both man, and beast, and the creeping thing, and the fowls of the air; for it repenteth me that I have made them.

Exodus 32:14 (KJV)
And the LORD repented of the evil which he thought to do unto his people.

Psalms 106:45 (KJV)
And he remembered for them his covenant, and repented according to the multitude of his mercies.

1 Chronicles 21:15 (KJV)
And God sent an angel unto Jerusalem to destroy it: and as he was destroying, the LORD beheld, and he repented him of the evil, and said to the angel that destroyed, It is enough, stay now thine hand. And the angel of the LORD stood by the threshingfloor of Ornan the Jebusite.

Jeremiah 18:8 (KJV)
If that nation, against whom I have pronounced, turn from their evil, I will repent of the evil that I thought to do unto them.

Jeremiah 26:13 (KJV)
Therefore now amend your ways and your doings, and obey the voice of the LORD your God; and the LORD will repent him of the evil that he hath pronounced against you.

Jeremiah 26:15 (KJV)
But know ye for certain, that if ye put me to death, ye shall surely bring innocent blood upon yourselves, and upon this city, and upon the inhabitants thereof: for of a truth the LORD hath sent me unto you to speak all these words in your ears.

Jeremiah 26:19 (KJV)
Did Hezekiah king of Judah and all Judah put him at all to death? did he not fear the LORD, and besought the LORD, and the LORD repented him of the evil which he had pronounced against them? Thus might we procure great evil against our souls.

Amos 7:3 (KJV)
The LORD repented for this: It shall not be, saith the LORD.

Amos 7:6 (KJV)
The LORD repented for this: This also shall not be, saith the Lord GOD.

Jonah 3:10 (KJV)
And God saw their works, that they turned from their evil way; and God repented of the evil, that he had said that he would do unto them; and he did [it] not.

Jonah 4:2 (KJV)
And he prayed unto the LORD, and said, I pray thee, O LORD, [was] not this my saying, when I was yet in my country? Therefore I fled before unto Tarshish: for I knew that thou [art] a gracious God, and merciful, slow to anger, and of great kindness, and repentest thee of the evil.

Certainly the first one though is true :)

Did God know in advance what he was going to do in repenting? If so, then he did not change at all, but simply did what he already knew what he would do. If that makes any sense. I think the Bible is just telling us how mans actions can be changed based on how the Lord reveals himself.

Did God know in advance what he was going to do in repenting? If so, then he did not change at all, but simply did what he already knew what he would do. If that makes any sense. I think the Bible is just telling us how mans actions can be changed based on how the Lord reveals himself.
You confirmed my point... God does change. Repent = change mind.

I don't think you are getting what I said. Is God smart enough to know exactly what he is going to do in advance? Does God know the reactions of man before he acts? The answer is yes he knows everything that is going to happen before it happens, which means God changes not. God,s final decision was already made before time began. If the Lord did not know what man was going to do then he would have to wait and see what man does before he decides what his reaction would be, which is not true. If the Lord did not know what mans reactions would be then God would not be all knowing!

Last edited:
Of course He knows everything... and I repent I ever commented on such a ridiculous thread. God can and does whatever He wants. How easy it is to get swept up into meaningly prattle about nothing.

Of course He knows everything... and I repent I ever commented on such a ridiculous thread. God can and does whatever He wants. How easy it is to get swept up into meaningly prattle about nothing.
actually it is very important to understand this. It gives us great insight into the heart and mind of God in how he works and that is what we all want. Lucifer should have known this when he was planning his attempt to overcome the King of Kings. Since he was made perfect in Wisdom and beauty, how could he have forgotten that God knows every thing thats going to before it happens, and yet he still thought it possible. He just did not think through his actions before moving forward. Now we can understand how God knew before creation every one who would call upon God for salvation and then give them life before the world were ever created.

actually it is very important to understand this. It gives us great insight into the heart and mind of God in how he works and that is what we all want. Lucifer should have known this when he was planning his attempt to overcome the King of Kings. Since he was made perfect in Wisdom and beauty, how could he have forgotten that God knows every thing thats going to before it happens, and yet he still thought it possible. He just did not think through his actions before moving forward. Now we can understand how God knew before creation every one who would call upon God for salvation and then give them life before the world were ever created.
You've gotten me confused with someone else... read post #2 and #3... I never said God didn't know the future.

For example:
God can force love, He can do anything! Job 42:2

God chooses to not force love. He chooses to be good. He chooses to give us free will / not be partial Acts 10:34. God chose to send His Son to die for us Luke 22:42 Father, if you are willing, take this cup from me; yet not my will, but yours be done."

John 9:31 We know that God does not listen to sinners. He chooses not to listen.

Which is why when sinners en route to hell falsely accuse Him of being partial, it is really insulting! Because, He could do such. But the purpose of the cross and the entire bible is to help us understand that he chooses to not do such! He chooses to be good, show us love and give us true free will.

God can force love, He can do anything! Job 42:2

God chooses to not force love. He chooses to be good. He chooses to give us free will / not be partial Acts 10:34. God chose to send His Son to die for us Luke 22:42 Father, if you are willing, take this cup from me; yet not my will, but yours be done."

John 9:31 We know that God does not listen to sinners. He chooses not to listen.

Which is why when sinners en route to hell falsely accuse Him of being partial, it is really insulting! Because, He could do such. But the purpose of the cross and the entire bible is to help us understand that he chooses to not do such! He chooses to be good, show us love and give us true free will.

God cannot force love because by definition love can only be freely given. By no means am I suggesting God doesn't have free will -- we get our free will from Him who already has free will. But that doesn't mean He can literally do every single thing. For instance...Can God both exist and not exist at the same time?

Or another one is can God be evil? If God is love and goodness in the literal sense and evil is just a lack of these things, can God lack Himself?

Last edited:
God cannot force love because by definition love can only be freely given. By no means am I suggesting God doesn't have free will -- we get our free will from Him who already has free will. But that doesn't mean He can literally do every single thing. For instance...Can God both exist and not exist at the same time?
God can choose to hate some and love some.
He can never 'cease to exist' nor did He 'come into existence'.

No creation in the universe can put Him in a box. Only the box He chooses to put Himself into, the Bible. All you are doing is quoting from scripture and a limited brain capacity / trying to rationalize God with a human brain.

Last edited:
God can choose to hate some and love some.
God can exist and not exist at the same time.

In God's realm He can never cease to exist nor came into existence.

No creation in the universe can put Him in a box. Only the box He chooses to put Himself into, the Bible. All you are doing is quoting from scripture and a limited brain capacity / trying to rationalize God with a human brain.

I don't mean to put you in the hot seat, but you just said God can both exist and not exist at the same time, and then a few sentences later you said "In God's realm He can never cease to exist nor came into existence." I agree with that last statement. He cannot cease to exist nor can He come into existence as he didn't come into existence but simply did exist without a beginning.

Which one is it? Can He do these things or not?

I don't mean to put you in the hot seat, but you just said God can both exist and not exist at the same time, and then a few sentences later you said "In God's realm He can never cease to exist nor came into existence." I agree with that last statement. He cannot cease to exist nor can He come into existence as he didn't come into existence but simply did exist without a beginning.

Which one is it?
:) My con is lagging. I edited that because I knew it would confuse. But I can certainly explain...

When God had to explain His existence to us He said 'He is'. He doesn't hide or evade. That is the answer.

God's realm = He never came into existence and He can never cease to exist. Something else is at work up there that is beyond our tiny brains.
Our realm = Being a creation with a tiny brain, we think in terms of birth and death.

So to us... He can ''exist'' and ''not exist''. But His side He knows, we just 'don't / can't get it'.

:) My con is lagging. I edited that because I knew it would confuse. But I can certainly explain...

When God had to explain His existence to us He said 'He is'. He doesn't hide or evade. That is the answer.

God's realm = He never came into existence and He can never cease to exist. Something else is at work up there that is beyond our tiny brains.
Our realm = Being a creation with a tiny brain, we think in terms of birth and death.

So to us... He can ''exist'' and ''not exist''. But His side He knows, we just 'don't / can't get it'.

With all due respect, the "we can't understand because of our tiny brains" argument is a bit of a cop out. The logic of God is one of the greatest argument for the existence of God. There's a difference between misunderstanding God's logic because of our humanity and suggesting God can be illogical because He's God.

But you again said two things God cannot do: come into existence and cease to exist. I agree, God cannot do either one of those things.

Back