Tithe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, it's kind of a pain that it isn't clearer. Either way, I think we are supposed to be very generous with our money as Christians.

Unless we understand the meaning and purpose of tithes, this will just keep bouncing all over the place. The other problem is, there will be no agreement on the meaning and purpose! :)

Yeah. I looked into tithing about as far as I need to look into it when we had a thread about it several months ago, and that's pretty much the extent of what I can conclude about it too.

I also find it pretty disturbing when people seem to suggest that our modern church pastors = OT priests... considering, just to name a few things about that conclusion, the Levitical tithes were for the entire tribe of Levi (who were not all priests, and were certainly not the designated preachers/teachers), since they shared no inheritance in the land, who in turn tithed to the priests, who were also not the preachers/teachers, and the Rabbis, who did not have to be Levites so did not necessarily receive tithes, were the preachers and teachers. And aside from that, no building maintenance came from the tithes, that came from the Temple Tax, which had a set amount in the OT, but increased as time went on.

Those are only a few of the things from a much longer list that make it a complex issue, which in no way whatsoever can possibly accurately translate into cutting a cheque for 10% of your income to your church, then that's your duty fulfilled.

I think its because it says "bring the whole tithe into the storehouse"
and plus the levites were called to take care of God's household directly,
because that was their daily job and they hence didn't make an income
their only support came from tithe I guess.

Ravindran I do like the fact that you are supporting the churches that
really need it. I think that's commendable. Its something that I also
believe in, that in business - God's ministry must first be expanded and
we must help the poor and needy with our wealth. That's my dream.

As for mega churches with mega bucks? I don't know to be honest.
Is it for me to first gauge the church's bank account b4 giving -
I don't know.

Yes its a grey area. But ultimately I think we have the Holy Spirit
as our peace and our guide for where we are to be in life and what
we are to do - in tandem with His word of course. :)

The Government gets their cut as it goes to fixing roads and the much needed Camel statue in Pakistan with a cost to tax payers of 400,000............. Yes, that is Four Hundred thousands for a statue in the middle east.
http://www.buzzfeed.com/aramroston/exclusive-us-taxpayers-to-spend-400000-for-a-camel-sculpture

God said in Malachi that He changes not, and went on about the Nation who robbed him of his covenant money to run the church. His promise to bless us for bringing our 10% is far more promising than what the Government wants to do with our money.

Just imagine all the crying and belly aching we would hear from believers if some Pastor put a 400,000 dollar statue in front of their church? We hear the crying now if a Pastor needs a jet plane to get to places well rested up to preach and not have to spend all day at commercial airports to travel.

But he whose descent is not counted from them received tithes of Abraham, and blessed him that had the promises. And without all contradiction the less is blessed of the better. And here men that die receive tithes; but there he receiveth them, of whom it is witnessed that he liveth.
(Heb 7:6-8)

No matter how you want to look at it, you will still read that giving the tithe to the greater one, still blesses the lesser (YOU AND ME) Men who have died did take up the tithe but Jesus who forever lives is receiving them today as head of the Church and High priest.

Just as Adam, God had just ONE tree that Adam was suppose to not eat of. A Tree that belonged to God. There is still something today that belongs to God as part of the Covenant.

Mar 12:17 And Jesus answering said unto them, Render to Caesar the things that are Caesar's, and to God the things that are God's. And they marvelled at him.

Now some say all I have belongs to God, but God sure Does not see much of it. That is a stupid statement and those that make those statements sure don't tithe or honor God. If it was all Gods, then we have nothing to give. The head of the Church said to render unto God what is God's. Some think the Head of the Church changes according to their religion. They will find in a good way or in a bad way that He never changed, not once.

is it ok to tithe to a different church from the one you currently attend? I currently attend a church that frankly doesn't seem to be struggling financially at all. After I first became saved, my friends at the time invited me to their church, which is located in a different city (that's why I don't go there any more), and I feel that church could use the money more. They allow for online giving. I just recall every week, the program listed their "goal" for that week and every single week they were under the goal. I always felt bad. I only recently started tithing though. man is it sort of hard right now, but it's teaching me to be disciplined and more responsible with my money :)

I tithe to the church i attend and i think regardless whether you think they need the money or not your tithe should go to the church you attend. I believe also that even if you are in financial difficulty the tithe should be priority. Then the 90% of the money you have is blessed.

Sal, it's easy to say that but if you're like I was and only able to eat two or three packs of Raman noodles a day then even five dollars leaves you without a meal or power.

Jmilly, you could give 5% to one and the other if you wanted. That way you're still contributing to the church you attend as well as a church in need.

I could also give the 10% to the church i attend and go above and beyond the 10% minimum and give to the other church! :rolleyes: I really COULD survive on less than 100% of my income. I just need to be more frugal and careful with my money. I admit I'm a bit careless with my money. That's my problem. And that's one thing tithing is helping me with.

Sal, it's easy to say that but if you're like I was and only able to eat two or three packs of Raman noodles a day then even five dollars leaves you without a meal or power.

Jmilly, you could give 5% to one and the other if you wanted. That way you're still contributing to the church you attend as well as a church in need.
I know but the tithe is so important for me to do it, i would go without rather than touch in the tithe. God has promised He will provide for us. Tithing protects our money from the devouring spirit.

"Bring all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be food in My house, and try Me now in this," Says the Lord of hosts, "If i will not open for you the windows of heaven and pour out for you such blessing that there will not be room enough to receive it". (Malachi 3:10)

"Examine yourselves as to whether you are in the faith. Test yourselves. Do you not know yourselves that Jesus Christ is in you?-unless indeed you are disqualified". (2 Corinthians 13:5)

"The silver is Mine, and the gold is Mine', says the LORD of hosts". (Haggai2:8)

"The Lord is my shepherd: I shall not want" (Psalm 23:1).

"Therefore you are no longer a slave but a son, and if a son, then an heir of God through Christ" (Galations 4:7).

"...For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also". (Luke 12:34)

"Give, and it shall be given unto you; good measure, pressed down, and shaken together, and running over, shall men give into your bosom. For with the same measure that ye mete withal it shall be measured to you again". (Luke 6;38)

" For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows". ( 1 Timothy 6:10)

" Honor the LORD with your possessions and with the firstfruits of all your increase; so your barns will be filled with plenty, and your vats will overflow with new wine ". (Proverbs 3:9-10)

A tithe is not an offering. Best to just keep your money and not contribute. Even in prison I made 15 a month and 1.50 of that went faithfully back to God. How much you have or make is not question when it comes to the tithe. Jesus as I gave the scripture in Hebrews RECEIVES the Tithe.

The Greek break down of tithe is a tenth, not a 5% type of deal.

Now you claim that 5.00 a day if that is all you made all week is not enough for meal or power. I have a word for you that MY God feeds the birds and they gather not, or reap and sow, but yet they still get fed. It would be impossible to honor God with a tenth and go hungry, as we are far more important than any bird.

In fact, not honoring God is a good way to stay broke and hungry.

Because the Wife and I give a tenth and we give where directed, we got behind 500.00 on the power and a month behind in rent. The wife asked me this morning about it, and I told her that we tithe and stop thinking about it.
God has a plan, you need to have patience and if we missed God, He will show us where, but the Money is coming.

That was this morning, it was noon we had a knock at the door, and without telling a single soul what we need or asking anyone, someone handed us a check for 1,000 dollars. 1,000 dollars, totally unexpected and from a source we would never expect.

Just last week I had to go to UT (1,200 miles away) and no money. I tithe though and never hold back a thing from God. 2 days before I had to go, a guy handed me 500.00. Said it was on his heart all week to give it to me. Out of that, I got to sow into others during my trip.

I get very concerned about what they teach in churches these days......... Very concerned.

So, I should slide my money into some wealthy pastors pocket and become homeless? Just because it goes to a "church" doesn't mean it goes to God. I have yet to find a church that deserves a dime. I'd prefer to send it to charity or put it towards sending bibles overseas.

Regardless, if you truly can't afford to give then you can't afford it.

Can you afford not to? The tithe belongs to God. We are robbing God if we don't give the tithe. The tithe helps to keep the church doors open to help those in need who are suffering who are lead to know our Lord Jesus. The tithe is used to save souls. Rent for the churches, evangilusing materials, utility bills. Many churches are open every day all to rescue and reach out to those who are lost, suicidal. Work is done in hospitals, prisons. And the airplane comes in when a pastor is called to spread the Word at different places and he needs faster travel to reach his destination to reach the people. He can't afford to wait for check-ins at the airport when he has a calling requiring him to spread the Word anywhere in the world. And it is God's will that His children prosper and not have to live in misery, poverty and defeat.

When I find a church that actually does that with the money I give then I will make it my home church and I'll tithe. Like I said, sending bibles overseas or giving the money to Salvation Army it better than lining a pastors pockets.

I don't have a church so I don't tithe. I'm not sending money to a church I don't believe in.

When I find a church that actually does that with the money I give then I will make it my home church and I'll tithe. Like I said, sending bibles overseas or giving the money to Salvation Army it better than lining a pastors pockets.

I don't have a church so I don't tithe. I'm not sending money to a church I don't believe in.
I understand where your coming from. I only heard of tithing when i first attended the church i go to now. Through the teachings based on the Word of God, i understand all i need to know about tithing, i accept it and understand it. If it wasn't for the church i wouldn't understand just from reading my bible. The church that teaches the Word of God helps to understand all aspects of the bible not just the tithe mind. I hope you find a church that you has a good teaching of the Word, is dynamic and where you find a good christian community there.

If it wasn't for the church i wouldn't understand just from reading my bible.

That's where the issue is. You want to hear your pastor twist some verses? Let him see a car he wants or something. He will be screaming about how you will rot in hell and describe just how painful it will be if you don't give that ten percent. No pastor should be making more than is necessary for a decent living. They whine and complain and point out all the verses they can twist to make you feel guilty even if you can just barely afford gas to get to the church. And don't expect a dime of that money to come back when you are about to be homeless either. They won't part with it.

You think I like money? I wouldn't have quit my job if I liked money. Pastors nowadays are the ones that love that money. All they have to do for it is stand up in front of people and spew bull crap once a week and they'll get paid more than most people. It's awesome!

My pastor in the branch i attend work every day, don't take holidays. He and the other pastors have given their lives to serve God on the alter. They are constantly working to help those in need, always evangelising. There us no twisting of bible verses from the church i attend. I only started reading the bible when i went to church actually. Tithing is biblical. I'm very happy doing it , i don't see it as an obligation or even compulsory. I accept it gladly. Many people do not understand the concept, they have worry and greed with their money. If we really trust God and surrender ourself to Him we will also do the same with our finances. I've posted bible verses above perhaps you could reflect on them .the only twisting that goes on is those that seem to have a problem with tithing and where they think their precious ten percent is going and who to and what its for.
Importantly if you're a tither from your heart , do you think God wants you homeless. He says "Try Me now in this..." . The way i see it and know it is that you'll never be out of pocket if you're a tither. I'm not saying you'll be rich overnight but God promises to bless. Return to you multiplied. GIVE and you will receive. Oh for sure i believe God tests us, how much do we trust Him?, where our heart is? When you got to catch a bus or walk to work or pay your tithe. Choice is yours, i've made mine , i'm happy with it.

That's where the issue is. You want to hear your pastor twist some verses? Let him see a car he wants or something. He will be screaming about how you will rot in hell and describe just how painful it will be if you don't give that ten percent. No pastor should be making more than is necessary for a decent living. They whine and complain and point out all the verses they can twist to make you feel guilty even if you can just barely afford gas to get to the church. And don't expect a dime of that money to come back when you are about to be homeless either. They won't part with it.

You think I like money? I wouldn't have quit my job if I liked money. Pastors nowadays are the ones that love that money. All they have to do for it is stand up in front of people and spew bull crap once a week and they'll get paid more than most people. It's awesome!

Wow, just wow.

I can see the value some give to the Word. Just worth a decent living, not like a Doctor that may be able to help the body heal.

I'll take what God said, that the blessings of Abraham that makes rich come upon the body of Christ, for God does not know when enough is enough. I'll take What Jesus paid for.

Amazing.

Sure Sal, there are some awesome pastors out there that actually do their job. But being a "pastor" is the same as anything else. For every one person that does their job there are fifty that don't give a crap and do it solely for a paycheck. If you aren't concerned about where your tithe is going then you are a more trusting person than most, almost stupidly so. There are people starving around town and some pastors have a huge house that's paid off and more stuff than most people can afford.

Yes Michael, I hold pastors to a higher standard than drug dealers with a college degree. I'm funny that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back