Totally brilliant ideas thread

It's kind of interesting to go into an empty mall with traffic cones and face masks under covid restrictions.
I signed in, and got my goods and it was kind of nice having the bookshop all to myself and no sales people hovering over me, or other people around and being told I can take my time.

Perhaps the mall management ought to consider 'shops open only by appointment' and you could only go visit if you are buying gifts for people or if it's your birthday and you've been given shopping vouchers to spend. haha

My brilliant idea

Well not totally mine because some other people thought of it too...

My brilliant idea

Well not totally mine because some other people thought of it too...

Really. "Some other people thought of it too"?

People have been working a 4/3 shift since before the 1980s.

This is done in many large police departments. Since three shifts all work 10 hours, and since you cannot fit 30 hours into a 24 hour day, you end up with twice as many cops on the road during key hours when more cops are needed.

There really is no need to reduce hours, as all you need to do is add 2 more hours to the 4 days and you break even.

RtM

I already work 4 days but actually a lot of people still work 5, 6 or even 7 days.
Which is too much.

I could work nights, but I got laid off the evening shift.

Mum said when she was growing up they had school in two shifts. Mornings and afternoons, because there weren't enough schools in Hong Kong.

So she didn't have to eat lunch at school she just ate it before she went. I think I was getting rather tired of school lunches, and 10 minute breaks at my other job. Barely enough time to eat.

This whole lunch thing has always been a mystery to me. I retired from the US federal government. I had one of those jobs where you worked when you had to. Late at night, early in the morning, on the weekends, sometimes several days with no rest or sleep, etc.

No one ever cared how long you took for lunch. There were times when we were at lunch for hours.

Now my current job comes wit 30 mins for lunch, but hardly anyone takes it. Most people just work through lunch and try to clock out a little earlier than the scheduled end time of 3pm.

Rtm

huh well people get hungry especially children and they get all cranky if they haven't had any lunch (or any breakfast either)

God doesn't want you to be a workaholic. So I don't understand people who have no need to stop and eat or have a break. Have they been replaced by...robots?

huh well people get hungry especially children and they get all cranky if they haven't had any lunch (or any breakfast either)

God doesn't want you to be a workaholic. So I don't understand people who have no need to stop and eat or have a break. Have they been replaced by...robots?
No, but these were usually special occasions. Let's say like a murder where the first 72 hours are the most important. At times like that, you really have no desire to sleep.

Rtm

Oh ok.
Am not talking about people who work in armed forces or whatever.
Just ordinary everyday people who work. Civilians. Wage earners. The not-special people, I suppose. The proles!

I think Jesus called ordinary people 'salt of the earth'. If the salt loses its savour, it's no good for anything.

being not so brilliant...I will need to have one of those "light bulb" moments....if i do...I would like to come back to this post and put it down..
Thank you for "jarring my brain"

huh I found out I have 2 vouchers to spend at the bookshop

(thats $10) by end of November. I don't know what I will spend it on yet. I need a totally brilliant idea. I do need a new diary...

My brilliant idea.
Instead of working to pay off debt
How about, all debts get wiped this year?
Everyone has a fresh start.

God can forgive debt, why can't the banks?

Is a New Year
Though it doesn't feel like it because the banks haven't wiped all the debts!

When I ask what people do to celebrate New Year many people just say they stay up till midnight and drink. Kinda weird, I would have thought there would be more meaningful traditions associated with New Year.

Is a New Year
Though it doesn't feel like it because the banks haven't wiped all the debts!

When I ask what people do to celebrate New Year many people just say they stay up till midnight and drink. Kinda weird, I would have thought there would be more meaningful traditions associated with New Year.
Hm...

Back in the day, when I was young and single, it was always about the party. Once I got married, it was also about the party, but at home.

Traditions include watching football, eating way too much, and toasting in the New Year while watching the ball "drop" in NY. We toasted with a glass of champaign (which I think tasks horrible), eating 12 grapes for good luck (not sure who came up with that one), kissing your spouse and/or date, and calling it a night.

This past New Year's Eve, the wife and I were asleep by 9PM.

Rtm

Hm...

Back in the day, when I was young and single, it was always about the party. Once I got married, it was also about the party, but at home.

Traditions include watching football, eating way too much, and toasting in the New Year while watching the ball "drop" in NY. We toasted with a glass of champaign (which I think tasks horrible), eating 12 grapes for good luck (not sure who came up with that one), kissing your spouse and/or date, and calling it a night.

This past New Year's Eve, the wife and I were asleep by 9PM.

Rtm
Why does a ball drop in NY?
I don't get it. I also don't quite understand the 'toasting' because it is never done with TOAST. Why isn't it called what it is, which is drinking?

For Chinese new year...everyone gets dressed up in new clothes, we throw away old things, unmarried offspring get their lucky money, there are special dishes, and if you are actually in China it's two whole weeks holiday and round of visiting relatives. Debts are also forgiven. Houses are cleaned.

Oh and the calendar gets changed to a new year named after an animal. If you are born in that year it's your year. And fireworks are set off.

None of this 'stay up till midnight' nonsense. You are looking forward to an entire New Year, not trying to make every last second of the old one count.

I had another totally brilliant idea.
But maybe it doesn't work or already been done....who knows, it's just an idea.

I was thinking instead of central business districts in the city which mean masses of motorways and traffic...everyone could just have a central sleeping district and the businesses could be in a ring all around the CSD. You know, turn it inside out.

Then instead of all converging in the middle to go to work in tall office towers and huge carparking buildings and useless public transportation...you all go outside to work and there will be less congestion.

I'm just thinking for my town that is becoming quite complicated with all the new roads/motorways being put in going every which way. Visitors just get totally lost in our maze and it costs so much to park in town that there's really no point in doing much business in there anymore.

Why does a ball drop in NY?
I don't get it. I also don't quite understand the 'toasting' because it is never done with TOAST. Why isn't it called what it is, which is drinking?
For Chinese new year...everyone gets dressed up in new clothes, we throw away old things, unmarried offspring get their lucky money, there are special dishes, and if you are actually in China it's two whole weeks holiday and round of visiting relatives. Debts are also forgiven. Houses are cleaned.

Oh and the calendar gets changed to a new year named after an animal. If you are born in that year it's your year. And fireworks are set off.
None of this 'stay up till midnight' nonsense. You are looking forward to an entire New Year, not trying to make every last second of the old one count.

I'm not a party pooper when I share this, because on New's Eve our family gets together, praying and thanking God followed by a nice meal, then playing fun games that include our 4 year old niece, teens and adults. I'm usually sitting at the table with my brother and sister in laws having conversation while enjoying munchies. Everyone is joyous and laughing.

Before midnight we're asleep and in the morning everyone wakes up refreshed. After praying we have a nice breakfast of eggs, pancakes, toast, coffee, juice, etc...

The ones who stayed up celebrating some ball that fell and toasting each other, unfortunately, many are arrested, end up in jail or who knows where, for who knows what, (we hear it on the news the next day) without a thought of honoring God for another year.

Like I said, I'm not a party pooper because I'm actually enjoying the party of celebrating Jesus for another year.

In February 1989, my wife and I went to a Chinese New Year at the parade downtown San Francisco. We got there early to get a good spot on the sidewalk before it filled up. Unfortunately, we cannot say it is the same today and haven't gone since.

Is the dropping ball significant in some way?

In Auckland they only recently started having fireworks celebrating New Year at midnight which annoys everyone, think they were trying to copy Sydney where they have it over their harbour bridge. We do have a harbour bridge not as spectacular though its lighted up, but I am not sure who sponsors all the lights and razmatazz. It is usually lit up anyway with traffic lights! Cos by law they have to light it or people would drive off it maybe.

I think its better to see the sunrise/dawn than wait till midnight.

I looked up wikipedia but they didn't really say what the ball represented. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Times_Square_Ball

There is a Santa Parade around November but last year they didn't have one. Parades are a lot to organise but they are fun for the children.

Is the dropping ball significant in some way?

In Auckland they only recently started having fireworks celebrating New Year at midnight which annoys everyone, think they were trying to copy Sydney where they have it over their harbour bridge. We do have a harbour bridge not as spectacular though its lighted up, but I am not sure who sponsors all the lights and razmatazz. It is usually lit up anyway with traffic lights! Cos by law they have to light it or people would drive off it maybe.

I think its better to see the sunrise/dawn than wait till midnight.

I looked up wikipedia but they didn't really say what the ball represented. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Times_Square_Ball

There is a Santa Parade around November but last year they didn't have one. Parades are a lot to organise but they are fun for the children.
The ball represents time (the last 10 seconds of the year). It is not just a ball. In Miami, it's an orange. In Key West, it's an anchor.

Toasting has been around forever. The toast is what is said before the drink.

If you are in the mood to ponder the silly....

Why do they call it a building after it's already been built?
Why is a man putting on a pair of pants said to be getting dressed?

The ball represents time (the last 10 seconds of the year). It is not just a ball. In Miami, it's an orange. In Key West, it's an anchor.

Toasting has been around forever. The toast is what is said before the drink.

If you are in the mood to ponder the silly....

Why do they call it a building after it's already been built?
Why is a man putting on a pair of pants said to be getting dressed?
I'm gonna call it a builded instead.
And the man is getting panted.
When toasting I'm going to raise my cheese toasted sandwich. Or marshmallows.

Back