Totally brilliant ideas thread

I was hoping for some brilliant NEW ideas

I guess... we just ran out...(of ideas?)

Phones are a bit old hat now. It's better to have a live chat thing, I told my school why don't you put one on the school website. Then parents don't have to call the school, they can just type in whatever they want on the website and staff who are online at the same time can answer them.

Then there's no frustrating thing like phones ringing and noisy kids or people interrupting. And it's cheaper. And you can do it from anywhere..that has a free wifi. No more expensive phone bills.

Building things to last rather than fall apart.

I think sometimes we need to go back and reassess the original path. So many companies today build with planned obsolescence in mind so as to insure repeat business. I remember hearing about light bulbs in Eastern Europe that didn't need to be replaced for decades while companies here engineered them to last a few months.

I had a friend who was born in the early 20's. He told me about his experience working in automotive plants in the early days. Car parts in the company he worked for were made to exacting specifications and the cars ran well for a great many years. Later he worked for another automotive plant that allowed much less strenuous specs and their cars though cheaper lasted only a few short years.

Building things to last could put less strain on land fills, save money in the long run, and lives possibly.

In this world it is not likely to happen though.

Phones are a bit old hat now. It's better to have a live chat thing, I told my school why don't you put one on the school website. Then parents don't have to call the school, they can just type in whatever they want on the website and staff who are online at the same time can answer them.
Then there's no frustrating thing like phones ringing and noisy kids or people interrupting. And it's cheaper. And you can do it from anywhere..that has a free wifi. No more expensive phone bills.
I still want to talk about phones but if noone wants to, then I guess I'll just hang up. lol!

Live chat would not work if the institution doesn't have good wifi. What if in that one instant moment the wifi had a bad signal and you couldn't get that emergency chat through? Also, the institution has to pay for that wifi service and it's not cheaper than a phone.

Alright, I'll come up with another idea later as long as Ray doesn't do a statistical graph. šŸ˜„

It's just Ray's thing to put statistics on everything.

I do have statistics at my disposal but only library ones. For example, issues have gone up from a dismal 25% to a healthy 65% of total borrowers using the school library in the past 3 years... I could give you tables and graphs, but it just might do your head in.

I saw a tv commercial where an elderly fell down in their home and couldn't move and was left alone for a day or so until someone discovered them. So there are services where they give the elderly a "beeping and talking device" that will contact the service center.
There is a monthly cost for this.

If families carefully plan to utilize their cell phones with a "speed dial" call or group text in case someone gets hurt and cannot move, family members can respond. Most people carry their cells most of the time but in this case it could be effective and cost saving.

We planned this with my family. My sister in law had a kidney and liver transplant last year and most days she is home bound and at times by herself.

I can't let my landline go to voicemail cos we don't have it.
If we don't want to answer the phone, we just let it ring and ring and ring and ring until the person gives up.

That's my parents method. I just pick it up, don't say anything and disconnect it.
Or I say, sorry can't talk right---click
Oh, I think I remember. With land lines you need an answering machine, right?

When I get a call from an unknown number, I let it go to voice mail. If they do not eave voice mail, I fire it was just not that important and I do not call back.

rtm

I saw a tv commercial where an elderly fell down in their home and couldn't move and was left alone for a day or so until someone discovered them. So there are services where they give the elderly a "beeping and talking device" that will contact the service center.
There is a monthly cost for this.

If families carefully plan to utilize their cell phones with a "speed dial" call or group text in case someone gets hurt and cannot move, family members can respond. Most people carry their cells most of the time but in this case it could be effective and cost saving.

We planned this with my family. My sister in law had a kidney and liver transplant last year and most days she is home bound and at times by herself.
Yes, they call that service "life alert."

Rtm

Pretty much, all good ideas have already been thought of.

I do like the text thing more than the talking thing. With talking, people have to include the "fluff" to make it into a conversation. With text you can just get to the point and move on.

Rtm

I think the building things to last is a good idea
but there are some problems with this.

The Victorians did this (which is why so many old buildings still standing are from Victorian era) but that also kind of meant any machines they made wouldn't have kept up with changing technology. I mean people don't still ride around on those penny farthing bicycles but you could if you really wanted to, in your corsets and pantaloons.

I really do not get why women were forced to wear corsets in those days.
How many whales died so that they could have 16 inch waists. I suppose nowadays women just get liposuction. But isn't there such a thing as temperance ie. don't eat too much, and exercise???

I just find it weird, you already have a skeleton INSIDE your body, why would you want to wear one on the outside?!

I ran out of credit on my mobile phone but it is ok I can use Whatsapp and its free to make calls and messages. phew

I hate using a credit card. I would only use it if I can't use anything else but just seems a complete waste of money.

I ran out of credit on my mobile phone but it is ok I can use Whatsapp and its free to make calls and messages. phew

I hate using a credit card. I would only use it if I can't use anything else but just seems a complete waste of money.
Ok, I am confused. "Credit" on a cell phone? Don't you all just pay a monthly fee and get to talk as much as you like?

Rtm

Ok, I am confused. "Credit" on a cell phone? Don't you all just pay a monthly fee and get to talk as much as you like?

Rtm
no
It's prepay.
You can have a plan, but I don't put it on a plan.

The internet has monthly plans for unlimited use but it doesn't for some reason extend to calls, not on my phone anyway.
My dad has now taken over the internet bill because he uses it so much.

I used to pay it, but he took over. So it's just one bill for the whole household. Cellphones (this was before they became 'smartphones") were topped up with credit. You went to the shop and just put $20 or however much you needed until you ran out. Each call or txt would use up your credit.
Now I have a smartphone that has wifi so I guess I don't need to really do that anymore!

no
It's prepay.
You can have a plan, but I don't put it on a plan.

The internet has monthly plans for unlimited use but it doesn't for some reason extend to calls, not on my phone anyway.
My dad has now taken over the internet bill because he uses it so much.

I used to pay it, but he took over. So it's just one bill for the whole household. Cellphones (this was before they became 'smartphones") were topped up with credit. You went to the shop and just put $20 or however much you needed until you ran out. Each call or txt would use up your credit.
Now I have a smartphone that has wifi so I guess I don't need to really do that anymore!
We pay some insane amount to AT&T (like $219.00 a month) for the internet, two cell phones, and AT&T TV., but it is unlimited everything. I think, right now, we have 13 devices on the WiFi. The wife and I also job on the work WiFi, once at the office.

Rtm

why do you have 13 devices?

I think we have 5 in the household between 3 of us. 2 computers, 1 ipad, 1 smartphone and 1 tv.

Mum doesn't use the computer at all. Only I have a smartphone and I won the ipad. I bought my own computer as its a mac and I didn't want to share the family one anymore.

Possibly all the screens will have the image of the beast at some stage, you know, it's just priming us for images, that started with TV. If you want to get into that stuff.

But when you smash a tv, or a computer open it's really just metals and wires and silicon inside.

Internet used to be $NZ 20 a month I recall, when it was dialup, but I think it's gone up to maybe $80 a month unlimited on broadband. Since dad uses it the most he decided he was going to pay for it and that includes the phone as well. I remember when we had dialup, we couldn't use the phone at the same time as the computer internet lol.

why do you have 13 devices?

I think we have 5 in the household between 3 of us. 2 computers, 1 ipad, 1 smartphone and 1 tv.

Mum doesn't use the computer at all. Only I have a smartphone and I won the ipad. I bought my own computer as its a mac and I didn't want to share the family one anymore.

Possibly all the screens will have the image of the beast at some stage, you know, it's just priming us for images, that started with TV. If you want to get into that stuff.

But when you smash a tv, or a computer open it's really just metals and wires and silicon inside.

Internet used to be $NZ 20 a month I recall, when it was dialup, but I think it's gone up to maybe $80 a month unlimited on broadband. Since dad uses it the most he decided he was going to pay for it and that includes the phone as well. I remember when we had dialup, we couldn't use the phone at the same time as the computer internet lol.
Yes, I remember the "you've got mail" days.

Ok, devices:
TVs: 6
PCs: 3
Cells: 2
Ok, 11. Not sure how I got 13.

"Possibly all the screens will have the image of the beast at some stage." I don't understand.

Rtm

6 tvs? That's a bit excessive..? No judging..maybe tvs are really cheap in the US!

I was just referring to the Revelation scripture. 13:15
Although tv is not mentioned, (since it hadn't been invented at the time it was written) I kind of think how are people even seeing this beast, it sounds like it's what people do with animation, make things look like they are moving and talking.

Pictures or images come 'alive' when they are animated, and sound is added to make it seem like they are speaking.

6 tvs? That's a bit excessive..? No judging..maybe tvs are really cheap in the US!

I was just referring to the Revelation scripture. 13:15
Although tv is not mentioned, (since it hadn't been invented at the time it was written) I kind of think how are people even seeing this beast, it sounds like it's what people do with animation, make things look like they are moving and talking.

Pictures or images come 'alive' when they are animated, and sound is added to make it seem like they are speaking.
Yeah, I guess 6 TVs is a bit much. They just never break.

We have one in the living room, one in the dining room, one in my office, one in the wife's office, and one in each bedroom.

It has been many years since we have purchased a TV set and the one's in the three bedrooms were for the "kids" when they lived here.

Rtm

huh I didn't know they were removing knives and scissors but yes
well that is dumb having knives and scissors right out in the open.

Like I told my boss he shouldn't have spray cans on the open shelves but he wouldn't listen. Then he got all upset when someone stole a can.

I have a craft knife I use to cover books in the library but I NEVER leave it out in the open when I've finished using it. I put it in my drawer out of sight and always lock the office door if I am not there.

A child could easily grab it and do some damage. Scissors, I do have them but they are child scissors. The bigger scissors I keep closed in the office. I used to have swiss army knife my sister gave me on a keyring. Its a bit useless as I hardly ever use it, but thing with gifts is you can't give them back. Anyway I had to remove that as well as some curious kids wanted to 'play' with it.

One time I got stopped in the airport for having a letter opener in my handbag. I had completely forgotten it was in there. (I don't really need a letter opener, I just use my finger nails.) I gave it to the airport security as I had no use for it.

If something really horrible was happening in the library and I needed to knock someone out I would just throw the big dictionary at them. It's got over 1800 pages.

Back