Totally brilliant ideas thread

I would not really go to a mall for the food court...ick.
You want to wait in line and bags a table when its really crowded and noisy and everyone just leaves their dirty trays everywhere, there aren't any waiters or anything its just fast food..but often not good fast food. It is not a restaurant...there is no REST to be had there lol.

If you are buying your wife a ring that is a luxury! A movie theatre is a luxury. Nobody really goes to them as they are so expensive.
If your mall is really big then I suppose walking in them IS exercise. Gym is a luxury. Why people would PAY to work out when they could mow the lawn or help lift heavy boxes at work or run around the block for free I don't know.
Look Lanolin, I cut the yard and did not go to the mall. The bad news is that the wife and her BFF went out to the stores sometime around 10 AM and they are still out there :(
back yard 1.JPG

It sucked them in.
I have no real reason to go to the mall unless I work there or have money to spend.
It's like a ritual. Fist and and her BFF make a list of items they want to return. This requires visits to several stores. Usually, as they return one item then buy another. They end up spending all day doing this.

It's like a ritual. Fist and and her BFF make a list of items they want to return. This requires visits to several stores. Usually, as they return one item then buy another. They end up spending all day doing this.
I had a friend who did this all the time I got so tired of running round after her and chauffering her to different shops that I stopped seeing her.
Usually when I buy something I only take it back if there's something wrong with it, not cos I changed my mind.

I do most of my 'shopping' at the library where I can borrow and return, but since I also do online requests I don't have to go to ten different ones. They have it all for me waiting to collect.

I would only spend 2 hours shopping maximum. I get too tired after that, and if I want something to eat have to buy even more food. I make a list or I have in my mind I need certain items, and if need be I pray and ask God that there will be what I need because I don't want to spend all day there or go make a trip and return empty handed. The other thing is I will look online or ring ahead to check if the stores have what I am after.

I had a friend who did this all the time I got so tired of running round after her and chauffering her to different shops that I stopped seeing her.
Usually when I buy something I only take it back if there's something wrong with it, not cos I changed my mind.

I do most of my 'shopping' at the library where I can borrow and return, but since I also do online requests I don't have to go to ten different ones. They have it all for me waiting to collect.

I would only spend 2 hours shopping maximum. I get too tired after that, and if I want something to eat have to buy even more food. I make a list or I have in my mind I need certain items, and if need be I pray and ask God that there will be what I need because I don't want to spend all day there or go make a trip and return empty handed. The other thing is I will look online or ring ahead to check if the stores have what I am after.
I have three shopping days a year; wife's birthday, anniversary, and Christmas. I recruit my daughters to keep records of any items the wife might mention she would like to have.

A couple of days before my shopping thing, I figure out who has it. I drive there, pick it up, pay for it, and go away. I try to not even talk to the sales person, cause all they do is try to get you to buy other stuff you did not want. This is especially true with extended warranties.

As for me, I tend to do ALL of my shopping on line; shoes, clothing, and general stuff (no need for underwear or socks, as this appears to be what I always get for my birthday and holidays). I've even purchased ammunition and guns on line, but we have to physically pick up the weapon from a licensed dealer. I am simple. If I like a pair of pants, I will buy the same pair in 2 - 4 different colors (black, dark blue, tan, or forest green). Shoes, two pair (black and dark brown). Same approach for shirts, but I add white to the mix.

Today I am waiting on two Amazon deliveries, which are actually a box with 100 tea k-cups (ginger and lemon tea) and a vitamin supplement.

Rtm

I have three shopping days a year; wife's birthday, anniversary, and Christmas. I recruit my daughters to keep records of any items the wife might mention she would like to have.

A couple of days before my shopping thing, I figure out who has it. I drive there, pick it up, pay for it, and go away. I try to not even talk to the sales person, cause all they do is try to get you to buy other stuff you did not want. This is especially true with extended warranties.

As for me, I tend to do ALL of my shopping on line; shoes, clothing, and general stuff (no need for underwear or socks, as this appears to be what I always get for my birthday and holidays). I've even purchased ammunition and guns on line, but we have to physically pick up the weapon from a licensed dealer. I am simple. If I like a pair of pants, I will buy the same pair in 2 - 4 different colors (black, dark blue, tan, or forest green). Shoes, two pair (black and dark brown). Same approach for shirts, but I add white to the mix.

Today I am waiting on two Amazon deliveries, which are actually a box with 100 tea k-cups (ginger and lemon tea) and a vitamin supplement.

Rtm
lucky you, you a guy

I don't want to bore you with what women usually have to do because women do not STAY ONE SIZE, or ONE COLOUR and also have to buy for children.
If you buy too food much at once if you have children it will just ALL get eaten. So best not to do this.

lucky you, you a guy

I don't want to bore you with what women usually have to do because women do not STAY ONE SIZE, or ONE COLOUR and also have to buy for children.
If you buy too food much at once if you have children it will just ALL get eaten. So best not to do this.
this is true. <u wife is responsible for all other purchasing (food, gifts, etc), but she enjoys it. I, on the other hand, do not.... :)

rtm

Well there is a lot involved with shopping and if you want the best price, you need to shop around or haggle a bit.
But shopping around takes time.
Also there's a lot of temptation in shopping. Sellers are always trying to convince you to buy more of what you don't really need.

My thing is if I am nearly running out of something, I go and buy a lot to last me, but I don't buy in bulk for the sake of it.
But fresh food and basics need to be done every week or even daily. I think its actually better in some cases to get deliveries for those items. Bread, milk, (newspaper) etc. That is if you still drink milk. My dad hasn't been weaned off milk. He's in his 70s and still drinks it as with the entire nation. I think the entire dairy industry would dry up if nobody drank milk or only babies had it.

Well there is a lot involved with shopping and if you want the best price, you need to shop around or haggle a bit.
But shopping around takes time.
Also there's a lot of temptation in shopping. Sellers are always trying to convince you to buy more of what you don't really need.

My thing is if I am nearly running out of something, I go and buy a lot to last me, but I don't buy in bulk for the sake of it.
But fresh food and basics need to be done every week or even daily. I think its actually better in some cases to get deliveries for those items. Bread, milk, (newspaper) etc. That is if you still drink milk. My dad hasn't been weaned off milk. He's in his 70s and still drinks it as with the entire nation. I think the entire dairy industry would dry up if nobody drank milk or only babies had it.
I like milk and I am insane for chocolate milk. I might do a glass or two a week, but I have bee know for taking our a half gallon of chocolate milk in one sitting.

I also like regular chocolate, but I buy Green & Black Organic dark chocolate that is 85% Cacao. In moderation, this is very good to lower and maintain healthy blood pressure.

We have here what we call a "case lot" sale. Certain items you can buy by the case. The wife does that for some stuff, but not sure what. I know that if I am out of tooth paste or deodorant, she just puts her hand in the hallway closet and pulls out another one.

She buys a lot of stuff that she then freezes for later use. Much of that is turkey meat and chicken, which is what we do most of the time. Then there are days like today where she forgot to pull something out, so she stopped at our local grocery store (Publix) and came home with a cooked chicken and a loaf of French bread. I am staying away from most carbs, so just tore the chicken in two and ate half. Well, as far as the wife is concerned, I are half. To be technically correct, part of that accidentally fell towards the floor and was caught by my trusty K9 companion.

Shhhhhhhhhh

Last edited:
I like milk and I am insane for chocolate milk. I might do a glass or two a week, but I have bee know for taking our a half gallon of chocolate milk in one sitting.

I also like regular chocolate, but I buy Green & Black Organic dark chocolate that is 85% Cacao. In moderation, this is very good to lower and maintain healthy blood pressure.

We have here what we call a "case lot" sale. Certain items you can buy by the case. The wife does that for some stuff, but not sure what. I know that if I am out of tooth paste or deodorant, she just puts her hand in the hallway closet and pulls out another one.

She buys a lot of stuff that she then freezes for later use. Much of that is turkey meat and chicken, which is what we do most of the time. Then there are days like today where she forgot to pull something out, so she stopped at our local grocery store (Publix) and came home with a cooked chicken and a loaf of French bread. I am staying away from most carbs, so just tore the chicken in two and ate half. Well, as far as the wife is concerned, I are half. To be technically correct, part of that accidentally fell towards the floor and was caught by my trusty K9 companion.

Shhhhhhhhhh
Your dog and wife really does look after you😊

My second dog used to sneak in other people’s houses and steal full chickens that were cooling on the side, meant for their dinner. her guilty face gave her away every time.

my last dog didn’t need to do that as she had the gift of the gab, (doggedly speaking) and only had to look at you and you would give it to her😇

Dad is the one who buys catfood in our household. When the catfood runs out, the cat meows, so then it's really time to go to the shops. We can put off everything else but woe betide if we run out of catfood.

Dad is the one who buys catfood in our household. When the catfood runs out, the cat meows, so then it's really time to go to the shops. We can put off everything else but woe betide if we run out of catfood.
Never been much of a cat person. Dogs are way more fun.

I picked up a stray cat when I was a little boy. Took him home and be practically scratched by face off. Never been the same since

Rtm

I just thought I would make one open for anyone to post in.
No knocking people's ideas, just posting brilliant ones. They don't even have to be your own, it might be something you found somewhere else and you have to share it.

I had one, and I know people on here wouldn't be so declasse as to criticise it and knock it down - after all it's just an idea.

I was thinking on the thing about malls lately, and how in some places there are just so many of these huge behomoths that they are a blot on the landscape and a temple to consumerism that frankly, many people are tired of and can't even afford. A lot of them are now dead as the tenants of the shops have moved out.

I was thinking how schools that really need new buildings could take over the mall space and the shops could be turned into classrooms and workshops with different subjects taught in each. That would solve problems of over crowding in schools.

We don't need THAT many shops, honestly. the first floor could be junior, the mezz could be intermediates and the top floors could be for high schoolers. Plus there is already a food court which can be a cafeteria space.

The older existing schools can then be turned into living spaces, maybe retirement villages because they are usually on flat land and the classrooms could be homes for people.

anyway. Please post more totally brilliant ideas you can think of or know about.

We are hosting a Love Daly City next spring 2022. We'll use the parking lot at the mall and setup tables and booths to promote this event that will bring the church, police department, city hall, businesses and community together to partner projects like cleaning and other stuff to bring our city together.

At our mall a lot of retired people, mostly men, hang out in the sitting areas with a cup of coffee and watch the people go by. This is also a good way to share the gospel with them.

We are hosting a Love Daly City next spring 2022. We'll use the parking lot at the mall and setup tables and booths to promote this event that will bring the church, police department, city hall, businesses and community together to partner projects like cleaning and other stuff to bring our city together.

At our mall a lot of retired people, mostly men, hang out in the sitting areas with a cup of coffee and watch the people go by. This is also a good way to share the gospel with them.
Your town sounds like it's pulling together.
Mine got amalgamated so not even sure we really a town anymore. Seven districts were all pulled into one in 2012. This is because Auckland is made up of suburbs and was urban sprawling with motorways like spaghetti all over the show, and then the powers that be decided that instead of spreading out, they would change the land use so that people can build UP. So maybe in a few years time it will be like Hong Kong?!

The main mall where I live and work in got sold to Australians some time ago, who tookover and owned just about every mall in our country, and then they sold them to some other overseas investors. There's only a few NZ owned malls left.

In the carpark of one mall on Thursdays there is a night market, where food trucks and booth congregate to sell dinner. But there are night markets all over the city. If you were mobile you could go from market to market and mall to mall if you wanted.

Last week there was a cook island performance at the mall with drumming and dancing for Cook Island language week.
One of the churches I go to has always had a coffee club, one for men at one cafe, and another for women at another in the mall.

I think though, a lot of people just prefer if they are visiting others to visit at home because coffee etc can be expensive, its usually sold in takeaway cups and people just take it to go and drink in their cars, or there may be no seating in the cheaper places so you'd just sit at the bus stop. My parents being retired never cared to go out for coffee, if they were going to go out they would go all out and have yum cha.

I think the coffee culture is only in certain areas, we don't do it well here, but in China which is a tea country they would have tea houses where people can just sit all day and sip tea, or play chess and mahjong or whatever. Here, if you got out your board game or pack of cards at a cafe, you'd probably be told to clear off. At the bookshop, we don't even have any seats. I'd be working 4-5 hours straight on my feet all the time and nowhere to sit, except the back room for ten minutes.

Your town sounds like it's pulling together.
Mine got amalgamated so not even sure we really a town anymore. Seven districts were all pulled into one in 2012. This is because Auckland is made up of suburbs and was urban sprawling with motorways like spaghetti all over the show, and then the powers that be decided that instead of spreading out, they would change the land use so that people can build UP. So maybe in a few years time it will be like Hong Kong?!

The main mall where I live and work in got sold to Australians some time ago, who tookover and owned just about every mall in our country, and then they sold them to some other overseas investors. There's only a few NZ owned malls left.

In the carpark of one mall on Thursdays there is a night market, where food trucks and booth congregate to sell dinner. But there are night markets all over the city. If you were mobile you could go from market to market and mall to mall if you wanted.

Last week there was a cook island performance at the mall with drumming and dancing for Cook Island language week.
One of the churches I go to has always had a coffee club, one for men at one cafe, and another for women at another in the mall.

I think though, a lot of people just prefer if they are visiting others to visit at home because coffee etc can be expensive, its usually sold in takeaway cups and people just take it to go and drink in their cars, or there may be no seating in the cheaper places so you'd just sit at the bus stop. My parents being retired never cared to go out for coffee, if they were going to go out they would go all out and have yum cha.

I think the coffee culture is only in certain areas, we don't do it well here, but in China which is a tea country they would have tea houses where people can just sit all day and sip tea, or play chess and mahjong or whatever. Here, if you got out your board game or pack of cards at a cafe, you'd probably be told to clear off. At the bookshop, we don't even have any seats. I'd be working 4-5 hours straight on my feet all the time and nowhere to sit, except the back room for ten minutes.
We have a lot of what we call "garage sales" in this area. My wife teaches marine biology and her school has a club COAST (Cutler bay Ocean Academy Science Technologies). During the school year, our garage and front lawn become it's ow "mini-mall" where people bring and sell all types of odds and ends and donate the funds to the club.

It makes me crazy, as they start really early on a Saturday (around 6:30). Have all kind of strangers coming in the house to use the bathroom and people park on my lawn. However, the wife has a really good time. Many of her students show up w/their moms and spend most of the morning just being high school kids.

We have a lot of what we call "garage sales" in this area. My wife teaches marine biology and her school has a club COAST (Cutler bay Ocean Academy Science Technologies). During the school year, our garage and front lawn become it's ow "mini-mall" where people bring and sell all types of odds and ends and donate the funds to the club.

It makes me crazy, as they start really early on a Saturday (around 6:30). Have all kind of strangers coming in the house to use the bathroom and people park on my lawn. However, the wife has a really good time. Many of her students show up w/their moms and spend most of the morning just being high school kids.
the church carpark gets used as a venue for carboot sales every Saturday. You park up and give something like $5 for the spot, and whatever you sell from your carboot, the money is yours to keep.

Good if you don't want people coming to your home and raiding your garage lol.
They have been doing this ever since I can remember. I have bought a few things from there, I got a scrabble set for $5 I recall.

I don't do this I tend to donate used and unwanted/surplus items to the op shops. I figure I buy a lot from them anyway so it's just like an exchange. Plus their money goes to charities.

Hey Ray;

That sounds really cool and the mini mall is a good way to get to know the people in school and your community. The next time see if there are any marbles on display?

We just packaged some marbles and other goodies that we will give as a gift when someone at church can recite our mission statement.

the church carpark gets used as a venue for carboot sales every Saturday. You park up and give something like $5 for the spot, and whatever you sell from your carboot, the money is yours to keep.

Good if you don't want people coming to your home and raiding your garage lol.
They have been doing this ever since I can remember. I have bought a few things from there, I got a scrabble set for $5 I recall.

I don't do this I tend to donate used and unwanted/surplus items to the op shops. I figure I buy a lot from them anyway so it's just like an exchange. Plus their money goes to charities.
It' not really a great deal of money. They have signs all over the neighborhood and people actually like to spend their Saturday morning diving around neighborhoods looking for yard sales. When is not sold ends up in our garage and on hold until the next yard sale.

Back