Totally brilliant ideas thread

I want to share a brilliant idea that people have shared with me and have to admit it makes sense.

In our world of cell phone communication technology, people are going back to using their home phones. The calls are clearer, the answering machine is easy to organize when and who left a message, and the overall cost is less expensive.

Huh well why would you use a mobile at home if you have a landline, unless you wanna pay more. I mean no brainer.

I guess people are attached to their cell phones but when you don't have credit it's not like you can make any calls...(I tried to put credit on at home but it didn't work either)

Personally, I do not know of anyone that has a "Land line."

My cell phone does everything:

• I get my work and personal e-mails
  • It is integrated to my work calendar
  • I set up and attend some work meetings using video conferencing
  • It wakes me up in the morning and she reads me the headlines an weather
  • It monitors my steps for the day, heart rate, oxygen intake, and blood pressure (My blood pressure : 117/ 77; My Heart Rate : 74; My oxygen : 98) at the moment
  • It monitors all of my home surveillance cameras
  • If someone rings the doorbell and we are not home, we can answer it through the cell
  • I do daily communications with my Bible study group
  • I can listed to any part of the Bible I want to
  • I can read and answer postings on CFS
  • I can take pictures, read documents, scan documents on documents
  • I can communicate with my entire team, at the same time, with a group chat
  • I can do Facetime with my kids and grandkids
  • I can pay bills, make purchases, make deposits, and transfer money
  • And . . . . ah . . . Oh yes, I can make phone calls
Personally, well worth the price

Personally, I do not know of anyone that has a "Land line."

My cell phone does everything:

• I get my work and personal e-mails
  • It is integrated to my work calendar
  • I set up and attend some work meetings using video conferencing
  • It wakes me up in the morning and she reads me the headlines an weather
  • It monitors my steps for the day, heart rate, oxygen intake, and blood pressure (My blood pressure : 117/ 77; My Heart Rate : 74; My oxygen : 98) at the moment
  • It monitors all of my home surveillance cameras
  • If someone rings the doorbell and we are not home, we can answer it through the cell
  • I do daily communications with my Bible study group
  • I can listed to any part of the Bible I want to
  • I can read and answer postings on CFS
  • I can take pictures, read documents, scan documents on documents
  • I can communicate with my entire team, at the same time, with a group chat
  • I can do Facetime with my kids and grandkids
  • I can pay bills, make purchases, make deposits, and transfer money
  • And . . . . ah . . . Oh yes, I can make phone calls
Personally, well worth the price

Yes, Ray;

Yes, to all the above, and many, many people are utilizing the same electronics and are benefitting from it as yourself. I can't disagree.

But it's true, brother, regarding this sudden trend in home phones. There are more people that have expressed to me, not just in the SF Bay Area of 7 million, but throughout our United States and ministries around the world that they are discovering their home phones are meeting their basic need to communicate. The one thing I'm hearing is less dropped calls, more clear signal and less cost.

Yes, Ray;

Yes, to all the above, and many, many people are utilizing the same electronics and are benefitting from it as yourself. I can't disagree.

But it's true, brother, regarding this sudden trend in home phones. There are more people that have expressed to me, not just in the SF Bay Area of 7 million, but throughout our United States and ministries around the world that they are discovering their home phones are meeting their basic need to communicate. The one thing I'm hearing is less dropped calls, more clear signal and less cost.
It could just be that you tapped into a specific crowd of people, cause national data does not show this:
landlines.JPG

Just in case, we do have a fully functional wood rotary dial phone in the kitchen. All we need is a live line to make it work. I'm not even sure our house is wired for a landline. We did have one in DC, but that was in the early 2000s.

wood phone.JPG

Rtm

It could just be that you tapped into a specific crowd of people, cause national data does not show this:
View attachment 6156

Just in case, we do have a fully functional wood rotary dial phone in the kitchen. All we need is a live line to make it work. I'm not even sure our house is wired for a landline. We did have one in DC, but that was in the early 2000s.

View attachment 6157

Rtm

Hello Ray;

No, I didn't rely on national data. Without a doubt, electronics are the standard way of life today.

But it doesn't dismiss my "voice to voice" communication with people.

I don't really "tap in," forcing a census or gaining access. lol!

I only noticed in the last year that in my ministry work includes live discussion "on the phone" with people around the Bay Area, within Daly City, SF, Oakland, San Jose, Monterey, San Diego, many have gone back to utilizing their home or office phones, non-cells.

There are some good folks in the Bible Belt - a couple of them are churches that don't use a church cell but a landline phone, a Christian couple in Oklahoma uses a house phone, up in Guelph and Surrey, Canada and parts of the world like India, Philippines and Africa.

These are not droves of people but surprisingly enough that blow me away and find interesting with this sudden choice of communication since January 2020.

This is why I wanted to contribute in Totally Brilliant Ideas, because those who prefer going back to home phones have expressed a better signal, easy to play back messages and the lower cost on their bill.

Hello Ray;

No, I didn't rely on national data. Without a doubt, electronics are the standard way of life today.

But it doesn't dismiss my "voice to voice" communication with people.

I don't really "tap in," forcing a census or gaining access. lol!

I only noticed in the last year that in my ministry work includes live discussion "on the phone" with people around the Bay Area, within Daly City, SF, Oakland, San Jose, Monterey, San Diego, many have gone back to utilizing their home or office phones, non-cells.

There are some good folks in the Bible Belt - a couple of them are churches that don't use a church cell but a landline phone, a Christian couple in Oklahoma uses a house phone, up in Guelph and Surrey, Canada and parts of the world like India, Philippines and Africa.

These are not droves of people but surprisingly enough that blow me away and find interesting with this sudden choice of communication since January 2020.

This is why I wanted to contribute in Totally Brilliant Ideas, because those who prefer going back to home phones have expressed a better signal, easy to play back messages and the lower cost on their bill.
Yes, and I think these are all valid reasons. The problem with land lines, as I see it, is the lack of mobility. Even at the office, where I do have a landline, I use mostly my cell because catching me sitting at my desk is rare, at best.

We use AT&T here and they do offer landlines; however, it is really confusing.

Rtm

My big issue with cell phones is the lack of coverage in my own home. We get dropped calls and poor reception issues all of the time even with wireless internet. I have seriously been thinking about adding a landline again. While cell phones are mobile they are not always dependable.

My big issue with cell phones is the lack of coverage in my own home. We get dropped calls and poor reception issues all of the time even with wireless internet. I have seriously been thinking about adding a landline again. While cell phones are mobile they are not always dependable.
Yes, I have to stand in the back yard with one foot at a 45 degree angle and the second up 7 inches from the ground.

The problem with the landline idea is that it would be almost useless to me, unless I start to make calls at 5am and start again after 6pm.

For me, it's all about mobility. Oddly enough, the best reception I get is in the car (jeep). I leave work at 3pm and get home around 4:30pm. I make many calls in that 1.5 hours.

Yes, I have to stand in the back yard with one foot at a 45 degree angle and the second up 7 inches from the ground.

The problem with the landline idea is that it would be almost useless to me, unless I start to make calls at 5am and start again after 6pm.

For me, it's all about mobility. Oddly enough, the best reception I get is in the car (jeep). I leave work at 3pm and get home around 4:30pm. I make many calls in that 1.5 hours.

Hey brothers;

One other thing I forgot to mention. The home or office phone only has one purpose, to make a phone call while receiving a good signal.

But all the other flavors that you get with electronics - cell, computer, handheld devices, earphones, handsfree, you got the world at your fingertips, so to speak, therefore a landline does have it's limited primitive uses.

I have been an AT&T customer since 1984 when it was for long distance calls. In 1992 we purchased our first cell phones. They were the Motorola Flip phones that look something like this model. They were analog.
1630086895822.png

Today we still use AT&T for our cell service and have to admit, this carrier has given us the best signal and overall service considering we have mountains around our neighborhood.

I have tried for a long time to recall when I got y first cell phone, but I cannot recall. It had to have been sometime close to 1995, as I was in Germany from 1986 to 1995.

In 1995, I did buy an Eddie Bauer Ford SUV (Explorer). It had a built-in phone. Very cool.

Rtm

We have a landline.
Everyone that has a home built before the 2000s (in my part of the world) would have had one or the ability to connect to a landline. We had telephone lines in every home...except way out in rural areas, where they would have had a 'party' line, in which you shared the telephone.

It wasn't until this decade fibre cables were put in, so everyone could have broadband. Many that have a landline already installed still use it.

But if you don't have one, you don't have one. Woe betide you when the cell network cuts out, or you phone runs out of charge. The analogs would still work, because they don't rely on electricity. Handy in earthquake, as happened in Christchurch.

I had first cellphone in Singapore when I was studying there. Everyone had one and looked at you as weird if you didn't.
They called them 'handphones'. Its mostly peer pressure to have a phone, I recall my sister one year got phones for my brothers when they didn't really want them.

I don't really like phones, they can be annoying. But they just a utility. I hate it when people call you up when you in the middle of something, but of course, they don't know you can't come to the phone or busy with something. Then you have to stop, answer and talk to them, but the worst is when they go on and on and on and on talking about nothing.

If you say at the beginning 'I'm calling you just for a chat or to check on something' thats ok. But if they calling for no reason just to be nosy I find that really intrusive.

I had first cellphone in Singapore when I was studying there. Everyone had one and looked at you as weird if you didn't.
They called them 'handphones'. Its mostly peer pressure to have a phone, I recall my sister one year got phones for my brothers when they didn't really want them.

I don't really like phones, they can be annoying. But they just a utility. I hate it when people call you up when you in the middle of something, but of course, they don't know you can't come to the phone or busy with something. Then you have to stop, answer and talk to them, but the worst is when they go on and on and on and on talking about nothing.

If you say at the beginning 'I'm calling you just for a chat or to check on something' thats ok. But if they calling for no reason just to be nosy I find that really intrusive.
Hi Lanolin
Perhaps you are easy to talk to and they ate a bit lonely. I know it can be a bit frustrating.

I have a method. Unless I know who you are and want to talk to you, I let my calls go to voice mail. I call people back between 3 and 4:30pm, because this is when I am driving home and really do not have anything else to do.

Rtm

I can't let my landline go to voicemail cos we don't have it.
If we don't want to answer the phone, we just let it ring and ring and ring and ring until the person gives up.

That's my parents method. I just pick it up, don't say anything and disconnect it.
Or I say, sorry can't talk right---click

I was hoping for some brilliant NEW ideas

I guess... we just ran out...(of ideas?)

Phones are a bit old hat now. It's better to have a live chat thing, I told my school why don't you put one on the school website. Then parents don't have to call the school, they can just type in whatever they want on the website and staff who are online at the same time can answer them.

Then there's no frustrating thing like phones ringing and noisy kids or people interrupting. And it's cheaper. And you can do it from anywhere..that has a free wifi. No more expensive phone bills.

Back