Totally brilliant ideas thread

You can tell which neighbourhoods are wealthy - they don't have op shops or thrift stores. They have ANTIQUE stores.
That's kind of not how it works here. Neighborhoods tend to be just houses and shops are in specific areas. As an example, Pinecrest is one of the wealthiest neighborhoods in this area. The way you can tell that is by the mansion like houses all over the place. I live in the next community (Cutler Bay). It is also a good neighborhood just not as wealthy. If people from either neighborhood want to shop, we go to pretty much the same locations

The majority of our shopping sources are actually located adjacent to the highway. I live in the east coast and within walking distance of the ocean. The highway that travels along the east coast of the United States (north and south) is known as "US1." It travels from the southern tip of Key West all the way to Maine, at the Canadian border (3,810 km). It is officially US1; however, almost every major city/town it intersects has another name for it. In Key West, it is called the "Overseas Highway." In my area, it is called South Dixie Highway." In Washington D.C., it is called "Richmond Highway." Anyway, the point is that on both sides of US1 you find nothing but shopping malls, restaurants, and small "mom and pop" businesses.

Traveling on US1 is the slowest way to anywhere, but it does allow you to drive right through the many towns that make up the country. It is the slowest, but the most fun.

We have local shops round neighbourhoods, we don't all shop in the same areas. There are malls that service surrounding suburbs but also local dairies, and there are a few main streets not just one because Auckland is made up of many urban villages that are linked together.

There are several CBDs not just one. Auckland had about separate 9 cities all join together in 2012. Before that we had different districts or boroughs and there was a mayor of each one.

We don't really have shops near highways! (We call them motorways) Those are more for industrial areas and factories where trucks go. Although there are a few drive thru strips American style. But generally those are pretty ugly places nobody really wants to shop in.

We don't really divide neighbourhoods into 'good' or 'bad'. There are good and bad homes in all suburbs. Here, your house may be old or new depending on when it was built, but old homes might be renovated. Every home used to be on a 1/4 acre section until they (govt) changed the land rules. If you live in a wealthy suburb we don't call it good, we might call it 'posh' but it doesn't mean its better cos it's wealthy. A desirable suburb is called a 'leafy suburb' because it has more mature trees planted there.

People do move around a lot in Auckland especially if they are renting.

Last edited:
We have local shops round neighbourhoods, we don't all shop in the same areas. There are malls that service surrounding suburbs but also local dairies, and there are a few main streets not just one because Auckland is made up of many urban villages that are linked together.

There are several CBDs not just one. Auckland had about separate 9 cities all join together in 2012. Before that we had different districts or boroughs and there was a mayor of each one.

We don't really have shops near highways! (We call them motorways) Those are more for industrial areas and factories where trucks go. Although there are a few drive thru strips American style. But generally those are pretty ugly places nobody really wants to shop in.

We don't really divide neighbourhoods into 'good' or 'bad'. There are good and bad homes in all suburbs. Here, your house may be old or new depending on when it was built, but old homes might be renovated. Every home used to be on a 1/4 acre section until they (govt) changed the land rules. If you live in a wealthy suburb we don't call it good, we might call it 'posh' but it doesn't mean its better cos it's wealthy. A desirable suburb is called a 'leafy suburb' because it has more mature trees planted there.

People do move around a lot in Auckland especially if they are renting.
I think I mentioned this once before. For the most part, the US is broken down into states (for the most part). Each state is broken down into counties (Florida has 67 counties). Each county is broken down into cities, towns, and/or villages. In my county (Miami-Dade), we have 34 "municipalities."

It is within these municipalities where "good" and "bad" neighborhoods can be found. While wealth does factor into the equation, the issues of crime and urban decay are what makes them "bad" neighborhoods.

Rtm

Most every neighbourhood in Auckland has crime in it lol.
The richer ones, like Remuera, probably have more serious fraud and white collar ones though, they did have a shooting where two ppl got murdered (infamous Basset Road murders). And the richer homes are the ones are more likely to be burgled.

Regarding urban decay..what happens is if older homes are going cheap they might either be renovated or just busted down to build new ones in Auckland. Because of frequent rain, and a lot of houses are made of wood...we have issues with damp homes.

So it's not so much urban decay its more like urban mould.

Regarding urban decay..what happens is if older homes are going cheap they might either be renovated or just busted down to build new ones in Auckland. Because of frequent rain, and a lot of houses are made of wood...we have issues with damp homes.

So it's not so much urban decay its more like urban mould.
Ok, I am pretty sure it is urban decay and not wet houses. I mean, this is south Florida, all houses are wet.

urban decay.jpg

Decay I imagine is like smashed and broken windows and nobody bothers fixing them...and empty houses, boarded up.

Ok, I am pretty sure it is urban decay and not wet houses. I mean, this is south Florida, all houses are wet.
1629741665038.png

Hey Ray, I was noticing on the apartments for rent sign, there is no area code, just the telephone number. Back during the 60s that's what was usually posted on an advertisement because there was less telephones. But when telephone use increased, the phone companies had to increase the area codes so they were added to the advertisements.

Something else I might add, when the world sees Florida, it's usually the best part of Miami which is beautiful. Showing this photo of South Florida, is that actual name of the city and is it run down?

View attachment 6134

Hey Ray, I was noticing on the apartments for rent sign, there is no area code, just the telephone number. Back during the 60s that's what was usually posted on an advertisement because there was less telephones. But when telephone use increased, the phone companies had to increase the area codes so they were added to the advertisements.

Something else I might add, when the world sees Florida, it's usually the best part of Miami which is beautiful. Showing this photo of South Florida, is that actual name of the city and is it run down?
Hi. Well, the area code for this county is 305. However, with cell phones, who knows.

This part of town is Liberty City and, yes, it is falling apart.

don't you have people who like to do community work to renovate them?
Well, our church has a "Caring for Miami" ministry that does go out one Saturday a month to help around the community. This is limited, to the best of my knowledge, to public schools and community buildings.

The picture I showed is private property, so probably not something that could be considered "community work."

Also, and probably more important, many of these markings "tags" are actually gang related and I suspect they would not be all that happy having their "art work" covered up.

On the other hand, some of it is actually art:

Art work.jpg

Well, our church has a "Caring for Miami" ministry that does go out one Saturday a month to help around the community. This is limited, to the best of my knowledge, to public schools and community buildings.

The picture I showed is private property, so probably not something that could be considered "community work."

Also, and probably more important, many of these markings "tags" are actually gang related and I suspect they would not be all that happy having their "art work" covered up.

On the other hand, some of it is actually art:

View attachment 6135
that's actually totally awesome. I wouldn't cover that up at all😊

haha no gangs don't care about their art work being covered up. It's not really art anyway its tagging, which is different.

Besides, they are not doing it on their own property, so they don't actually have any right to cover a wall unless the owner has said. Most gangs are not putting a premium on their 'art' lol. They are busy dealing drugs or in prostitution which make a lot more money for them.

Back