Traveling home

My wife and I love to travel, but at the end of a trip we are often anxious to get home as well. There are many new wonders to be seen, beautiful sceneries to explore, cultural activities to experience yet they don't fully satisfy at the end of the day. Part of it is the responsibilities we have, but the other part is the familiarity, warmth, safety and comfort that are built in a home.

Covid has made it more clear to me how home and our backyard is a special place that God has given us. It has been nice in a way to take a little time to smell the roses and get better acquainted with them again.

Home is also where are heart is. Our church is such a place as well, were there are so many of our spiritual family. Sometimes home is with ones parents and family. Sometimes home is a place that is shared only with you and God and this too can bring comfort and joy at the end of the day. Traveling home to my Father is often a great joy as well something I like to do every morning.

My mum and sis have gone away for the weekend but I had to work so am staying at home with dad.
I haven't gone anywhere.
They gone to this cool place that has a hot water beach where you did in the sand and its actually hot water.

Funnily enough they are staying in accomodation called 'The Church'.

But I am glad I have hot water at home on tap and I don't have to dig a hole in the beach. Plus even though my home isn't flash like accomodations are I don't need to pay someone else to stay there per night and check out at 10am.

My mum and sis have gone away for the weekend but I had to work so am staying at home with dad.
I haven't gone anywhere.
They gone to this cool place that has a hot water beach where you did in the sand and its actually hot water.

Funnily enough they are staying in accomodation called 'The Church'.

But I am glad I have hot water at home on tap and I don't have to dig a hole in the beach. Plus even though my home isn't flash like accomodations are I don't need to pay someone else to stay there per night and check out at 10am.

There are no doubt many reasons that you enjoy this space you have come to call home. Are there any specific things about home that you like and might want to share?

For me it is a comfortable place to be alone now with my wife. I strive to make it a beautiful place as well that we can enjoy and that perhaps others can enjoy as well. Most importantly God has been brought into our space and shares it with us.

Well I quite like that I have my own room and also get to create and look after the garden. The room gets sun and is a good size for me. I have two bookshelves full of books.

If I lived in rented accomodation it would just be someone else's house and garden and I'd have to ask permission to plant anything permanent or grow a tree for example.

Otherwise my home is warm and dry. All you can ask for really. Some people have to live in damp rotting houses and the landlords don't care.

Hello Chuck;

Earlier in our marriage when we could afford to travel, we went to New England for 10 days - Boston, Portsmouth NH, Maine, crossed over to Vermont, drove down to Connecticut, Rhode Island, back to Portsmouth then Boston. It was one of the best experiences of America, seeing it's history, attended a wonderful church service during the foliage in October. We truly enjoyed God's creation and the excitement was non-stop.

But when it was time to come home, we were grateful to God, gave Him thanks for the blessing but the happy feeling filled us of returning to our home.

Today we love staying at home. I'm an organizer and whether we leave or come it's comforting to know that most everything is in place. We have two projects - we're going to remake our enclosed patio and have artificial turf around the whole house.

My wife is not organized and enjoys her bed not being made, with pillows all around her while reading or watching a movie. lol!
That's home for both of us.

God bless you, Chuck, and thank you for sharing Traveling home.

I believe that travel is alluring because there are many experiences and sights that are different, new or otherwise of interest. Once we have seen and experienced these things I have often found in the past, the delightful reminder of why home is home.

Here at home we are surrounded with trees, mountains, beautiful waterways, plants, animal life, sunrises, sunsets, etc. The beauty God that surrounds each of us can become so familiar at times that we don't see it any more though. I think when traveling sometimes we are reminded of the beauty at home that has faded into the background unseen.

It's nice to go travelling, but home is where the heart is I suppose.
As a suburban city dweller, when I go to remote areas, it's ok for a couple of days, and then I start missing the different people and the buzz of urban life that you are a part of.

The countryside is wonderful but also isolating, like a small town will only have one or two shops, and maybe the same number of restaurants, and there could be nothing new or fresh for days lol. It takes ages for things to happen and you need to make do without a lot of things. You also get treated as sort of like a foreigner whereas at home nobody needs to question where you come from!

It's interesting that the reverse is true for country dwellers.

Yes, Lanolin,

My hubby and I are country dwellers. I love the space and time to think and pray and prepare for times of visiting others. We used to have a farm, however now we live on a few acres surrounded by farms. My husband is a farmer and although we haven`t a farm now he helps the farmers around here. Sometimes for pay, and many times not. It is a good witness.

Having been a teacher but now retired I so appreciate the quiet in the countryside, with the animals and bird life.

We have traveled around Australia quite a bit, and are amazed at the diversity. Also met people we had made friends with on line. A real blessing. Then eventually the heart desires to settle and come home, catch up with friends and be in their journeys again, in the Lord.

Marilyn.

While I live in the suburbs of a city, I'm still a country boy at heart. I grew up on a small farm and helped my grandfather with his alfalfa fields during the summer and took care of his cows year round. We always had chickens, cows, goats, pigs and of course barn cats and dogs. There were other animals as well and of course the garden.

It's nice to go travelling, but home is where the heart is I suppose.
As a suburban city dweller, when I go to remote areas, it's ok for a couple of days, and then I start missing the different people and the buzz of urban life that you are a part of. The countryside is wonderful but also isolating, like a small town will only have one or two shops, and maybe the same number of restaurants, and there could be nothing new or fresh for days lol. It takes ages for things to happen and you need to make do without a lot of things. You also get treated as sort of like a foreigner whereas at home nobody needs to question where you come from! It's interesting that the reverse is true for country dwellers.

Yes, Lanolin,
My hubby and I are country dwellers. I love the space and time to think and pray and prepare for times of visiting others. We used to have a farm, however now we live on a few acres surrounded by farms. My husband is a farmer and although we haven`t a farm now he helps the farmers around here. Sometimes for pay, and many times not. It is a good witness. Having been a teacher but now retired I so appreciate the quiet in the countryside, with the animals and bird life. We have traveled around Australia quite a bit, and are amazed at the diversity. Also met people we had made friends with on line. A real blessing. Then eventually the heart desires to settle and come home, catch up with friends and be in their journeys again, in the Lord.
Marilyn.

Lanolin says something that I can relate to. God bless the country boy, the southern belle, the hillbilly, the farmer, the rural life but after a time I enjoy going back to the concrete structure of the city.

Back in the day my wife and I would fill our backpacks, take public transportation to the center of downtown, then walk around downtown San Diego and San Francisco. It was great! We enjoyed window shopping, going by the waterfront, stop and have lunch and after 5 hours we would head back to the center of the city and take public transportation going home.

Downtown San Diego
1628876230739.png

San Diego's Embarcadero
1628876758309.png

Downtown San Francisco
1628876947556.png

San Francisco's Embarcadero
1628877231233.png

What amazing structures of man. Thanks for the pics Bob. It would have been a pleasant time exploring with your wife.

Then it is a sobering thought that in a few years these tall buildings will all fall as God has said. `...and the cities of the nations fell.` (Rev. 16: 19)
But by then we will all be truly HOME.

I'm not really used to heights.
Even a two storey home I don't like climbing stairs all the time.
Not because I can't walk up stairs but I just prefer to have my feet on the ground. Barefoot if possible.

I sometimes wonder if maybe I am on the spectrum just a little cos I can't handle too much noise, like rock music, I get a headache, if I'm cooped up in a car, I get headaches, or just crowds of people in general. It's all a little too much, too much stimulation, like going into a huge big box store and seeing all the stuff you COULD buy but just end up being overwhelmed. Today I ate my lunch in the food court at the mall and they were playing some really loud music on the speakers, to me it just sounded like lawnmowers, and I got a headache.

While most people from the countryside are aching to go into the city I'd be like doing the reverse and wanting to go to a smaller town or the country to get away for a while. At home, such as it is, I even don't like it if someone leaves the tv or radio on and nobody's listening to it or watching it. Because I need that quiet to think.

When my sister comes over and she puts the tv on in the morning I can't stand it because its noise, its commercials, and I just want to have my breakfast in peace and quiet without hearing of all the disasters of the day or the time or jokes or whatever they are talking about thats happening outside. I just want to have my breakfast and think about what I am eating and maybe concentrate on what I am going to do that day rather than what everyone else is doing with their day.

I'm not really used to heights.
Even a two storey home I don't like climbing stairs all the time.
Not because I can't walk up stairs but I just prefer to have my feet on the ground. Barefoot if possible.

I sometimes wonder if maybe I am on the spectrum just a little cos I can't handle too much noise, like rock music, I get a headache, if I'm cooped up in a car, I get headaches, or just crowds of people in general. It's all a little too much, too much stimulation, like going into a huge big box store and seeing all the stuff you COULD buy but just end up being overwhelmed. Today I ate my lunch in the food court at the mall and they were playing some really loud music on the speakers, to me it just sounded like lawnmowers, and I got a headache.

While most people from the countryside are aching to go into the city I'd be like doing the reverse and wanting to go to a smaller town or the country to get away for a while. At home, such as it is, I even don't like it if someone leaves the tv or radio on and nobody's listening to it or watching it. Because I need that quiet to think.

When my sister comes over and she puts the tv on in the morning I can't stand it because its noise, its commercials, and I just want to have my breakfast in peace and quiet without hearing of all the disasters of the day or the time or jokes or whatever they are talking about thats happening outside. I just want to have my breakfast and think about what I am eating and maybe concentrate on what I am going to do that day rather than what everyone else is doing with their day.
Hm... I do not know a great deal about being on the "spectrum," but from reading your post you for sure have something going on.

My world is nothing but noise and distraction. We raised five kids, so it was crazy 24/7. We do have moments of absolute silence, but I can only deal with that for a short time. We even sleep with the TV on. A couple of times, when the internet goes down while we are asleep and the TV stops, the silence wakes me up.

We live by on of the most beautiful cities in the world, but it is not one of those cities made for tourists. Almost all of the buildings are either business buildings or high-rise condominiums. I enjoy seeing it in the mornings, when I head downtown to work, but that's about it. Like many similar areas, the inner city is falling apart, too violent, or made of many "mom and pop" businesses that have closed down.

The bridge you see leads to Miami Beach, but that too is nothing but expensive restaurants and overcrowded beaches.

We live about 21 miles south of the city, so we still have breading room.

miamiMAIN.jpg
Personally, I am at a point in my life where I can probably spend all of my day at the house and not have an issue with that. We are now working back at the office; however, I really see no point in that. There is nothing I do at the office that I could not do from home. In fact, I am way more productive working from home. we are still doing most of our meetings via Zoom, so that too can be done from home.

I mean, you be the judge. Below is a picture of my office office and of my home office. Which one would you rather work out of? It takes me over an hour to drive to my office office, but 5 minutes to wlk to my home office.
offie 2.JPG Home Office.JPG
We have all forms of entertainment at the house, so I really see no need to go out for amusement. We can spend the day at the pool, sitting in the back yard, using our grill, using the "home gym," etc.

Yes, we go out to buy food and "stuff," but really do not have to do that either. It is just as easy to shop on line as it is to travel to the store. We went "shopping" today for food an look at the line!

BJs.JPG
The only thing I really enjoy doing outside the house is church, but that too can also be done from home.

Yup, we live in interesting times.

Attachments

• Office.JPG
    Office.JPG
    112.3 KB · Views: 0
Hi. I was not crazy about Miami Vice, mostly because there were so many things that were technically incorrect.

At home, I log in through by own workstation. At work, I usually log in though my cell phone. :)

Ray

Hey Ray,

That is a beautiful photo of Miami. I was a Miami Vice fan back in the 80s and still have the whole series on box dvd.

I'm curious. Which of your workstations do you log on to CFS? lol!
See, now you got me going.

These two were supposed to me county cops (Metro Dade), but their station was located in a shopping mall (Lincoln Road) in Miami Beach. They also used the wrong police cars (they used city of Miami cars). Also, and this one always drove me crazy, half the streets they drive on were not actually located in Miami.

Miami Vice.JPG

We each have our own idea of home that is welcoming and provides for our needs. I too live close to a major city, but Would never choose to live within the city proper. I enjoy less crowded spaces, quite and room for at least a nice garden.

I thank God for this place he has provided. It has been a nice place to return to time and again.

Hi. I was not crazy about Miami Vice, mostly because there were so many things that were technically incorrect.

At home, I log in through by own workstation. At work, I usually log in though my cell phone. :)

Ray
See, now you got me going.

These two were supposed to me county cops (Metro Dade), but their station was located in a shopping mall (Lincoln Road) in Miami Beach. They also used the wrong police cars (they used city of Miami cars). Also, and this one always drove me crazy, half the streets they drive on were not actually located in Miami.

View attachment 6093

I couldn't help laughing when I saw Sonny Crockett (Don Johnson) here at CFS.

For 37 years I never knew about the flaws on the production set til now.

Anyways, during that time it was a new kind of TV show with it's story line, the sound effects and background music.

Thanks for sharing, Ray.

I couldn't help laughing when I saw Sonny Crockett (Don Johnson) here at CFS.

For 37 year I never knew about the flaws on the production set til now.

Anyways, during that time it was a new kind of TV show with it's story line, the sound effects and background music.

Thanks for sharing, Ray.
It made me crazy I Tell Ya, crazy.

They would leave their office and walk into a garage that was actually about 8 block away. When they drove out of the garage, the street they drove into was located in down town Miami (about 12 miles away). I mean, one moment they are driving on the McArthur Causeway and, at the end of the causeway, they were in Fort Lauderdale (30 miles away). Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Back in 1999, they made a movie, "General's Daughter," which was basically a movie about a US Army Special Agent (which is what I did for 25 years). The production company did travel to our HQ and asked for someone to be allowed to be a technical advisor. My organization declined.

When I went to see the movie, I made it as far as maybe 2/3rd of the way and just left. The amount of technical incorrectness was so great, it actually made me angry and I just left.

This is probably the main reason I do not like to watch "cop shows," because I have an issue with accuracy and correctness. Yes, I know I have an issue, but it's my issue :)
general's daughter.JPG

haha I guess it's how doctors and nurses feel about the way a medical clinic is portrayed in the nz tv soap Shortland Street.
The actual Shortland Street in Auckland does NOT have an A & E clinic.

Woe betide the patients if it actually did because the traffic in the CBD would be so bad the ambulances could never get there!

(it's actually filmed a few blocks away from where I live in a cul de sac behind some factories)

Back