TV viewing habits

Last century, when I was a boy, I remember the traveling carnivals, circuses and state fairs would sell small turtles and chameleons, as well as the usual baby chicks and bunnies.

I feel kinda guilty about it now as us city kids didn’t know how to keep the turtles and chameleons alive for long and the chicks and bunnies grew up and outgrew our city homes and lifestyles.

I don’t see the turtles and chameleons around anymore and that’s probably a good thing. Come to think of it, I don’t see the traveling carnivals or circuses around anymore either.

Last edited:
Last century, when I was a boy, I remember the traveling carnivals, circuses and state fairs would sell small turtles and chameleons, as well as the usual baby chicks and bunnies.

I feel kinda guilty about it now as us city kids didn’t know how to keep the turtles and chameleons alive for long and the chicks and bunnies grew up and outgrew our city homes and lifestyles.

I don’t see the turtles and chameleons around anymore and that’s probably a good thing. Come to think of it, I don’t see the traveling carnivals or circuses around anymore either.
I recall the little turtles they would sell had their shells painted different colors. And chicks dyed pink and green for Easter. Dont recall dyed bunnies but l imagine there were.

We got goldfish in a bag.

We still have circuses.travelling ones too. But their are regulated now to a certain extent.

The borough council allow them sometimes. I’ve never been to a circus. Although fairgrounds with rides are up all year round in some parts of the U.K.

I remember when I first watched grease the movie and seeing your carnivals and thinking how great they looked. Didn’t know about you getting bunnies and turtles though.

And our las vegas( Blackpool) being so much inferior than yours, it’s now falling apart so we may be in for a vegas here soon. There’s talk of a Disney world coming soon.

I grew up in Miami Beach, FL. I did not see my first cow, until I was an adult living in Germany. I do remember having a baby chick once (do not recall how I got it). But I do recall that I took it to bed with me, apparently rolled over it, and it was dead the following morning. :(

But I do recall that I took it to bed with me, apparently rolled over it, and it was dead the following morning. :(
Wow rtm3039, sorry that happened.

I had the same sad experience, but with a small chameleon given to me when I was 6-7 years old. I was so excited that I took the little guy to bed with me and then found him under my pillow the next morning. :(

Funny, some of the things that you forget and some of the things that stick with you over time.

Last edited:
!
My neighbour told me a story of the same thing with a pet bunny.

Anyway, I have more success with cats and chickens.

Though at the moment, we are pet-less. There are circus that come but I haven't been to one that have animals, mostly acrobats. At A &P shows they usually have farm animals on display.

My cat used to always jump on the tv or sit in front of it, to get our attention. lol

pretty much the same as you guys above..

I don't own a tv, I have a laptop and Netflix.
in the times I am off work, especially in lockdown, you will find me alone under the stairs enjoying documentaries, wildlife, current affairs, anything scientific, history , even ancient mythology and futuristic, sci fi thingies...

ps. I still love and watch tom and jerry😊
Love Tom and Jerry. Bugs Bunny,Daffy, Elmer Fudd. Roadrunner Coyote. Pink panther, Foghorn Leghorn.
😆 Oldies but still goodies. Tweety Bird.

I like TV shows that are intriguing and educational.
Discovery channel, A&E, NatGeo, CourtTV.

funny-face-tom-and-jerry.gif

Did anybody watch MTV

Music television. Video killed the radio star...

Used to be a big thing late 80s, 90s. Nowadays everyone watches them on You-tube as you can have a play list. With lyrics too.

The number 1 most viewed video? Pink Fong's Baby Shark video.

Found a book tv companion called Previously on Friends seasons 2 and 3

Interesting reading about the episodes rather than watching them...but the scripts are hilarious.
One interesting thing I learned was that all the Friends were in real life children of divorce except for the guy who played Ross (David Schwimmer). The show was based on his character first. Phoebe was originally meant to be a bit more goth emo than hippy new age.

The guy who played Chandler, Matthew Perry, has recently published his memoir. It's known that he battled a drinking/drug problem while on the show. If you hadn't known, you might not have noticed, but there are some episodes where he looked too thin or bloated and not in the best health.

Apparently Jennifer Aniston (Rachel) had to lose 30 pounds to get acting roles. She has a beautiful figure though at times she and Monica (Courtney Cox) seem a bit too thin. They say the camera adds ten pounds. I don't know about that but Monica would play 'Fat Monica' in a fat suit. Phoebe (Lisa Kudrow) always felt massive compared to those two but she was taller. I don't think it helped that she was always wearing heels on the show.

Most people in real life, don't wear shoes in their own homes/apartments. Or they wear slippers.

I read Matthew Perry's memoir.
There isn't much about Friends in his book it's more about his battle with drug addiction.
He does mention God but it's seems like he made one of those Faustian pacts and asked God to make him famous and he could do anything he liked with him.

Fame was one of the things 'all the kingdoms of this world' that Satan tempted Jesus with right?

Matthew's dad left him with his single mum when he was just a baby. He left his mum to go live with him when he was 15 and became famous on Friends. His hunger for fame was for attention her never got from his dad (who is an actor) to fill his giant hole in his heart. He was given a taste of drugs when he was still a baby when his mother gave him 'medicine' to stop him crying. So it's been a lifelong substance addiction ever since.

Usually mothers will give their babies HUGS to stop them crying not DRUGs.

I feel poor Matthew. Everyone loved Chandler on the show as he was the funniest but his story was also the darkest and most tragic (even after Phoebe, who's mother killed herself when she was 14) but you know all that sarcastic humour was just trying to deflect/distract him from facing the real issues right?

Friends was one of those shows that everyone watched in their 20s and you never missed an episode. Now I don't think they make many shows like that anymore.

I saw a netflix doco on Anthony Bourdain. Another case of where fame became a burden and the person was a junkie who used drugs to avoid pain. I was quite sad to hear how his life turned out.

Well Anthony Bourdain wrote books as he was a writer at heart first so that's why I chose to watch him.
I think tv on demand makes it easier to find things you like to watch.

In the old days people bought weekly listings of tv and they would program their lives around which ones they wanted to watch (or program their VCRS). There used to be just two channels at first so not much choice. I don't know if people these days keep their tvs on 24/7 I certainly wouldn't want to assault myself with that much advertising.

Back