TV viewing habits

mostly the reasons I don't go to many places is because its so expensive.

I think at Kelly Tarltons they have sharks and penguins and other sea creatures but not big mammals.
Seems to be quite an issue when animals come into contact with humans they lose their wildness I think and become dependent on us.

It can be a good or bad thing depending on how 'captive' we make them. But it's the same with humans, aren't we captive to cities/suburban ways of living which can be harmful to us? Its ok if you are in the wealthy 1% or above the breadline but the majority are not. And even wealthy elites go crazy and are prone to depression etc.

I think the difference is that the wealthy can always move and go somewhere else if they don't like where they are, (mobility etc) but those who are sticking it out are not free. Anyway.

Back to topic..I've been watching Michael Portillo's train journeys again. This time he goes to Australia taking his 1913 Bradshaws guide.

The trains in nz are very expensive to run and half the time they are not running lol. But back in the day I guess they represented the modern era of industrialisation and 'progress' . Today it's air flight. I was reading in the paper some moaning article about how nzers don't offset their flights with carbon credits/planting trees. Well the cost of a flight is ALREADY so expensive so how can an ordinary nzer afford to do that anyway??

I'm just doing a little survey on each...I'm not judging anyone ok?

Some of us like watching tv, some reading books, and others listening to music or radio. What I'm interested in is how much or often do we do of each activity, and what our daily habits are?

I'll start by sharing my TV viewing habits and how they've changed over time.

Ok I as a child of the 80s grew up with television. Everybody had at least one tv at home, usually in the living room, it was in colour, and I remember it having just two channels, then about 10 years later we had 3, and then sky tv came (cable tv) which you had to pay for, and eventually more people got that, and they could get heaps more channels.

As a child I would watch whatever my older sister watched, as she was the eldest and had control of the tv and later, the remote (the older ones you had to get up to change the channel!). There were childrens shows on before and after school, and in the daytime there were soaps, news was at 6o' clock, and then more soaps, then a sitcom, a more adult tv show and maybe a movie. Then tv would shut down for the night to start again the next morning.

My dad would religiously watch the 6 o clock news as he was also interested in the weather. The news was an hour long, and very boring to my childish eyes. I preferred cartoons, although I never made much sense of some of them, like Tom and Jerry or Roadrunner! There was a tv program called Playschool, and this taught children how to spell and tell the time, and had puppets and toys on it. There was also Sesame Street. I thought the puppets were real characters! They were more interesting than the boring adults.

There were lots of advertising for stuff people couldn't afford, but we had to endure the ads (commercials) anyway. Every 15 minutes, ads would come on. We watched tv every single day. On Sundays, there used to be no ads at all. As soon as we got home from school, we would turn on the tv, and watch until dinner time.

I know! Our eyes must have rotted and our brains must be damaged from all the radiation. To be continued....

I don't remember much of how much TV I watched as a kid, but I grew up watching shows from the 90's and rerunds from old shows from the 80's and 70's. I know most of the opening theme songs to most shows from that time. :D I also remember going outside to play and ride my bike a lot too. So not sure how many hours I watched. :) As an adult I don't watch much because of working, kids etc. I watch maybe 2 hours day, maybe 3. I watch mostly older shows, the older the better. I'm fascinated with vintage and older things especially old photos and videos and old TV shows like Turner Classic Movies. :) I don't like much of anything that came out after 2000 unless it's extra special/epic like Avatar.

I don't remember much of how much TV I watched as a kid, but I grew up watching shows from the 90's and rerunds from old shows from the 80's and 70's. I know most of the opening theme songs to most shows from that time. :D I also remember going outside to play and ride my bike a lot too. So not sure how many hours I watched. :) As an adult I don't watch much because of working, kids etc. I watch maybe 2 hours day, maybe 3. I watch mostly older shows, the older the better. I'm fascinated with vintage and older things especially old photos and videos and old TV shows like Turner Classic Movies. :) I don't like much of anything that came out after 2000 unless it's extra special/epic like Avatar.
I watch "TV" mostly as a side show. In on one screen, while I work from the other screen. I think I have watched all of Netflix. I am watching Clash of the Titans right now, probably for the 10th time. Once in a while, however, I do come up with a movie I did not expect to enjoy and pay closer attention to it.

I grew up by the beach, so spent much time in or by the water. I was one of those kids that would often stay up to 2 - 3 in the morning watching TV.

20221028_163140.jpg

I don't know why people would watch so much tv. Most of it is boring and full of advertising, but if you pay for it, it's still got ads anyway!

And what benefit from watching it anyway. I think most of it turns peoples brains to mush. lol.

I think its ok for old people though who've got nobody to talk to. They can imagine they have friends on the tv. I know one widow got a tv after never having one as her children bought it for her to keep her company after her husband died.

I also know of someone who complained that whenever she went to her friends house, she never got to watch tv. She had to talk to her friend instead!

Another time I had a party, and one of my workmates at the party complained that she wanted to watch tv AT THE PARTY. How rude. If you really want to watch tv so badly, stay at home!

World War Z was pretty good. I think the best all around zombie movie/series was The Walking Dead. The opening theme song makes a good ring tone too. :)
I agree. Did not like the type of Zombies on World Way Z, because those are the Zombies that run very fast. I mean, they are dead, so they are not going to get tired.

As for The Walking Dead, enjoying he last season. I have watched each season at least three times.

XRay

I went to weta workshop and found out how they made all the monsters. Lots of prosethetics, fake blood, scale models etc. It's a lot of fun being in tv and film production. You are pretty much playing around all day. lol

We have giant wetas in the forest in NZ. As big as your hand.

I think I like Honey I shrunk the kids though, that was a good movie. Instead of giant bugs, the humans had been shrunk.

Back