TV viewing habits

I have a tv in the library I inherited from the previous librarian. It's hung on the wall. It's annoying cos its taking up precious wall space where I could have permanent displays.

I hardly ever watch it, the only things I do on it is scren cast kahoot quizzes, sometimes put a book related movie on, or have a webcam of aquarium fish showing.

I'm sure it could be used to cast zoom meets too. But otherwise, nothing much worth watching on tv. The online Maori lessons I am doing have their own short videos. As long as it doesn't have commercial advertising, I am ok with tv, but then you might have to pay a fee to have certain channels.

Mostly the tv in our household was used to watch videos. Or play video games when my brothers had a video game console but that quickly got old, they grew out of it. All my VHS tapes are gone now. I don't miss them.

I think the most I had were Garfield videos. Actually I think they are kept somewhere in a cupboard in my brothers house, which has become like the family museum.

I have a tv in the library I inherited from the previous librarian. It's hung on the wall. It's annoying cos its taking up precious wall space where I could have permanent displays. I hardly ever watch it, the only things I do on it is scren cast kahoot quizzes, sometimes put a book related movie on, or have a webcam of aquarium fish showing. I'm sure it could be used to cast zoom meets too. But otherwise, nothing much worth watching on tv. The online Maori lessons I am doing have their own short videos. As long as it doesn't have commercial advertising, I am ok with tv, but then you might have to pay a fee to have certain channels. Mostly the tv in our household was used to watch videos. Or play video games when my brothers had a video game console but that quickly got old, they grew out of it. All my VHS tapes are gone now. I don't miss them.
Hi Lanolin;

We used to have many Christian VHS tapes and even Sony Beta. lol! We would invite people over from church especially high school and college age to watch Matthew, Joseph, Acts, etc...

Though video cassettes or tapes were old, the quality was not bad.

Years ago my wife tossed the old videos when our VHS and Sony Beta died so we upgraded all the Christian movies to DVD or Blu Ray.

Now on tv we can "streamline free movies," is that the correct term?

Though technology is so fast and advanced we don't get caught up in it. I can still enjoy a movie on our dvd blu ray player with a bowl of popcorn and a beverage.

I don't know what the difference is between DVD and Blu Ray (and why can't they spell 'Blue'?). We have only dvds now, but the tv is a smart one and can hook up to the internet.

There are hardly any video/dvd libraries anymore. Everyone has tv on demand or Netflix or something else, it's like camera shops switching to digital.

I keep thinking I'd like to watch something on Netflix but then I look at whats on offer and sometimes there's nothing appealing.
I love the convenience of it though and how there is no ads and you can pause it and go back to it if it's a series.

I've had it for a few months though but I think I've watched all I want to watch on it! There's not much Christian content on it, sadly. Be nice if they had some christian movies on it. I saw Mr Church with a friend although it wasn't exactly a christian movie (sometimes titles can be misleading) it was quite good.

I keep thinking I'd like to watch something on Netflix but then I look at whats on offer and sometimes there's nothing appealing.
I love the convenience of it though and how there is no ads and you can pause it and go back to it if it's a series.

I've had it for a few months though but I think I've watched all I want to watch on it! There's not much Christian content on it, sadly. Be nice if they had some christian movies on it. I saw Mr Church with a friend although it wasn't exactly a christian movie (sometimes titles can be misleading) it was quite good.
@ streaming services to check out are pure flix and Frndly tv!

As a child in the 50s and early 60s I'd watch some black and white shows just about every afternoon and evening. Saturday mornings was cartoons, of course. Since Ieft my parent's home I've never had nor wanted a tv and when I'm in front of a tv somewhere I am thankful that I don't have one. There were a lot of entertaining shows back in the day. I don't see anything of value in 99% of modern programming. It's not entertaining to me.

I now have a little puppet theatre where I am going to make my own shows. lol
that's a good idea lan.

all the kids will be making puppets for your show. I made one years ago and all the kids on the streets were kept out of trouble because they all wanted their puppet to star in my show lol

especially when I said there were going to be prizes haha

well I already have some hand puppets ready.
Firstly though I have to teach them to put them back in the box when they finished playing with them, otherwise they go missing and I have to send a search party out looking for them.

The first show a class put on 'what to do if you get bullied'. But they need to refine it a bit more because nobody really knew what to do!

Modern network television has become a vehicle for liberal propagandists and as a source of "bread and circuses" to keep the populace ignorant.

Hello BibleLover;

Good point and true. My wife and I just recently made a decision to discontinue watching programs (news resources and information) because of so much negative sided views with no solution. It hinders my Philippians 4 spirit.

We both feel as Christians we must be informed of world affairs so we know how to pray and fortunately there are other resources. This gives us peace.

We do enjoy watching documentaries that provide a beginning of something, the things that go wrong along the way and how solutions are provided.

God bless you, BibleLover and your family.

Radio is much better for immediate news and for local news. Anything that is extremely important to report will be broadcast often live as it happens before tv cameras and a journalist can jump in, groom their hair and makeup, and get to the site.

Radio is much better for immediate news and for local news. Anything that is extremely important to report will be broadcast often live as it happens before tv cameras and a journalist can jump in, groom their hair and makeup, and get to the site.
I've been what's called a Shortwave Listener since 1968, and shortwave radio is a very good source of news, often directly from source locations. However, nowadays all the major international broadcasters have websites to which you can go to get the same information you would get by listening to their broadcasts.

I've been what's called a Shortwave Listener since 1968, and shortwave radio is a very good source of news, often directly from source locations. However, nowadays all the major international broadcasters have websites to which you can go to get the same information you would get by listening to their broadcasts.
We live in a world where information overload is a real thing. I don't really ever watch the "news" on TV. I use my Twitter account. I have feeds from multiple sources and multiple countries. I receive mostly the headlines and that is usually enough. If I do come across something I am interested in, I then "click" on the headline and read the story. Unfortunately, that does not happen often.

As for watching TV, do not do that often either. I watch movies, documentaries, and (for amusement) watch YouTube. I watched two movies yesterday: End of Watch and Gravity. I have seen these two movies countless times. It is what I call "mindless watching."

i grew up on captain kangaroo lost in space mission impossible bugs bunny road runner ed sullivian show red Skelton carol burnet. gun smoke wild wild west now days they have junk on t.v

I wouldn't like to a be a tv programmer and have to insert ads and make up the schedule everyday.

Who's got time to follow all that?

But I do know that, for some tv is a ritual. Like at 7pm it will be Shortland Street, five nights a week. It's just passed its 30th birthday. At the time, nobody in NZ thought it would ever last, as a local soap opera had never been done before.

For some people the little people on the tv screen in their living room are more real to them than their own families lol

But I reckon there is enough drama in my own life to deal with than have to watch other peoples! Our cat used to jump on the tv to get our attention, she'd rather everyone watched her than the tv.

Back