Was The Flood Story Copied From Babylonia?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fact is, none of us were there. NOBODY NOBODY NOBODY can say for certain except be it by FAITH. It is written, therefore.. I BELIEVE!
Just because no one directly observes something, that doesn't mean we can't draw reasonable conclusions from the data. Particle physicists don't directly observe atoms smashing into each other, but they can still draw conclusions from the resulting data. A geologist doesn't have to directly observe a volcano erupting, but he can come upon the site later, see the hardened lava flows, and draw a reasonable conclusion about what happened.

And if you want to take the "I believe in the flood because that's what the Bible says, and that's all that matters", that's perfectly fine. I don't think too many people here (including me) would debate you on that. The problems arise when people try and argue that the global flood is supported by the scientific data.

What must He think when we question Him, our almighty God, our creator?
No one here is questioning God.

Just because no one directly observes something, that doesn't mean we can't draw reasonable conclusions from the data. Particle physicists don't directly observe atoms smashing into each other, but they can still draw conclusions from the resulting data. A geologist doesn't have to directly observe a volcano erupting, but he can come upon the site later, see the hardened lava flows, and draw a reasonable conclusion about what happened.

And if you want to take the "I believe in the flood because that's what the Bible says, and that's all that matters", that's perfectly fine. I don't think too many people here (including me) would debate you on that. The problems arise when people try and argue that the global flood is supported by the scientific data.

If we don't believe The Word then what do we base our faith on?
I'm not saying it happened one way and not another... I'm saying, does it really make a difference? I do NOT have the answers. NO ONE DOES. You said scientists can draw logical conclusions. Is that the same as fact?
Again, I'm NOT saying I know anything for a fact about something I did not witness, how could I? How could you?
God CREATED THE UNIVERSE. HE CREATED EVERYTHING.

HE CREATED YOU.

The wisest scientist could NOT DO THAT,

No worries. God bless you. We each have different beliefs and that is ok by me.

Ricko, do you think the earth revolves around the sun?

what is your motive to keep asking the same question ???

Gen 1:14 Then God said, "Let there be lights in the expanse of the heavens to separate the day from the night, and let them be for signs and for seasons and for days and years;
Gen 1:15 and let them be for lights in the expanse of the heavens to give light on the earth"; and it was so.

if the earth did not revolve around the sun, the above would not be possible ..

let me ask you a question .. if our solar system revolves within our galaxy, and our galaxy is also revolving .. what does our galaxy revolve around ???

hint: don't ask science, because they haven't a clue ..

Last edited:
ixoye - the are several on this forum that support the notion of geocentrism

I would say that it is a perfect example of "not letting the facts get in the way of their beliefs".

let me ask you another question ..
since science admits phenomenon ..
why do many scientist simply dismiss God ???

If we don't believe The Word then what do we base our faith on?
Obviously there are different ways of reading and interpreting different scriptures. That's why we have different denominations, practices, and forums like this.

I'm not saying it happened one way and not another... I'm saying, does it really make a difference?
I think it does. I think if we tell new and young Christians that they have to believe in a recent global flood or else they can't be Christians, we're setting them up to fail.

You said scientists can draw logical conclusions. Is that the same as fact?
Of course not. But the world isn't so black/white where there is only fact and unknown, and nothing else in between.

God CREATED THE UNIVERSE. HE CREATED EVERYTHING.
Exactly. And in that creation are a large set of facts that demonstrate quite clearly that the earth was not flooded a few thousand years ago.

No worries. God bless you. We each have different beliefs and that is ok by me.
Thanks! It's fine with me too. :love:

ixoye - the are several on this forum that support the notion of geocentrism

I would say that it is a perfect example of "not letting the facts get in the way of their beliefs".

seriously ??? .. I have never met anyone who believed that before ..
if the sun revolved around the earth in 24 hours it would have to be traveling billions of miles per hour .. even then, for there to be seasons the earth must be rotating in the opposite direction ..

Science is based on well defined repeatable experiments and the results thereof.

God cannot be tested in any practical way, miracles are not repeatable, therefore it's not science.

Science is based on well defined repeatable experiments and the results thereof.

God cannot be tested in any practical way, miracles are not repeatable, therefore it's not science.

fire is a chemical phenomenon ..
testable means only grants plausibility ..

of course miracles can be repeated ..
and of course they are not science ..
science is not a "thing" it is "a study of things" ..

Yes, there are some scientists that don't follow the "scientific method" to a T.
Dishonesty is a curse that affects all professions.

Put a lit match to dry paper in an environment with sufficient oxygen and it burns, every single time.
Discrete, testable.

because they cannot be studied by testable means, does not make them less a reality ..
just because science is limited, does not mean it should be dismissed ..

once again, science is only a study (with added applications) of what already exists ..

Put a lit match to dry paper in an environment with sufficient oxygen and it burns, every single time.
Discrete, testable.

science calls it that .. because they don't understand fire entirely .. lol
great complexity resulting from the intimate interaction of many chemical and physical processes.

so does that mean fire doesn't exist because they have not figured out the correct testable means to understand it ???

my complaint with many scientist, is they claim their "interpretation of evidence" as a "fact" ..
Not really. Theories are always presented as the best (or most likely) understanding of the actual facts that they were derived from, not a 'fact' intrinsically.
Never ending argument unfortunately, but worthwhile nonetheless. X

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back