We homeschool our kids and it’s….

Amazing! I just want to encourage any parents out there who are considering homeschooling to jump right in and do it. It is stressful when you’re first sorting out schedules and curriculums but once you get it, it’s fantastic!

You can witness your children grow and learn before your eyes. My kids have a daily Bible lesson and it’s incredibly moving to hear them memorize and recite scripture.

We no longer have to worry about anti-Christian indoctrination and it’s a farce to say children don’t get the social adjustment they need. As long as they have friends their age somewhere to interact with, they adjust completely fine. We have ours in extracurricular activities to also accommodate the social aspect.

If anyone has any questions about it, please don’t hesitate to ask!

Amazing! I just want to encourage any parents out there who are considering homeschooling to jump right in and do it. It is stressful when you’re first sorting out schedules and curriculums but once you get it, it’s fantastic!

You can witness your children grow and learn before your eyes. My kids have a daily Bible lesson and it’s incredibly moving to hear them memorize and recite scripture.

We no longer have to worry about anti-Christian indoctrination and it’s a farce to say children don’t get the social adjustment they need. As long as they have friends their age somewhere to interact with, they adjust completely fine. We have ours in extracurricular activities to also accommodate the social aspect.

Hello Skipper;

This is great and I'm blessed to know home school is working out for your children. My brother and sister in law have a 4 year old daughter. She is precious to our whole family and they are actually considering this for their child.

My sister in law has a degree but not a teaching degree. Is a degree or diploma from the parent or guardian required from state to state or nationwide?

Thank you for the other information.

God bless you, Skipper, your wife and children.

I would just warn you, make sure your home schooled children don't end up home schooling you! lol
We home schooled our daughter since her birth back when home schooling was unpopular.
As she grew, she latched on to music and took us beyond contempory music styles, to learning about Classical and Baroque music. Home schooling is truly a blessing.

Hello Skipper;

This is great and I'm blessed to know home school is working out for your children. My brother and sister in law have a 4 year old daughter. She is precious to our whole family and they are actually considering this for their child.

My sister in law has a degree but not a teaching degree. Is a degree or diploma from the parent or guardian required from state to state or nationwide?

Thank you for the other information.

God bless you, Skipper, your wife and children.
Nope, no degree necessary! The curriculums are really easy to follow and self-explanatory. We have used a couple Christian curriculums that were really good (Sonlight and Abeka).

I have an advanced degree but my wife doesn’t have any college degree. She’s the main teacher as she is a stay at home mom and she does a great job teaching the kids.

I would just warn you, make sure your home schooled children don't end up home schooling you! lol
We home schooled our daughter since her birth back when home schooling was unpopular.
As she grew, she latched on to music and took us beyond contempory music styles, to learning about Classical and Baroque music. Home schooling is truly a blessing.

Hey crossnote;

Too late! I affectionately call my 4 year old niece "Queen of the Castle" because she tells me what to do! lol!

Aw I public school.
Do you have a library in your home? Just wondering.
I wouldn't say children are doctrinated in anything in public schools, well the one I work in. Maybe its different in america, where they have to say pledges of allegience and worship a flag, as I have heard. We don't do that in NZ. We sing the national anthem, and have prayers. Our anthem is called 'God defend New Zealand', but doctrine isn't really taught, it's more reading, writing and spelling. A lot of our children are ESOL speakers so learning English they can't really do at home when their parents don't speak it or can't really read or write, having only up to primary education themselves.
My parents only had primary education so they couldn't have taught me beyond that.

I think homeschool is pretty cool if parents have the time, but it's not feasible for many, which is a shame. We only tend to have social problems with families that have an 'only child'. They are so used to having everything and don't understand the concept of sharing.
The other thing is divorced families or adopted family arrangements. I personally have experienced quite a few problems with children from broken homes acting out at school, but for many, school is a safe place and they would much rather be at school than at home.

Last edited:
Home school has become practical world wide. In the home the kids can still do the pledge of allegiance. I personally loved honoring our home country when I was going to elementary school. Home school can keep God in the center.

Problem with my late Mom teaching me in the home is, God bless my Mom, but she was very impatient with me. For some reason my wife concurred with Mom.

The only setback I see is the social skills become limited and this hinders developing people skills which is so vital in our societies.

Good thing about homeschool though... more kitchen time. And gardening.
At public schools, the children don't really get to do domestic skills as theres only a staff kitchen and a hall kitchen. They get lunch in but don't get to make it.
If at home they would be more involved.

Last week the school lunches have been chicken and carrots for several days till everyone is heartily sick of it.

Home school has become practical world wide. In the home the kids can still do the pledge of allegiance. I personally loved honoring our home country when I was going to elementary school. Home school can keep God in the center.

The only setback I see is the social skills become limited and this hinders developing people skills which is so vital in our societies.
But isn't the pledge of allegience indoctrination?
I thought the reason you wanted to homsechool is you didn't want to be indoctrinated, or to have to take oaths or anything.

Good thing about homeschool though... more kitchen time. And gardening.
At public schools, the children don't really get to do domestic skills as theres only a staff kitchen and a hall kitchen. They get lunch in but don't get to make it.
If at home they would be more involved.

Last week the school lunches have been chicken and carrots for several days till everyone is heartily sick of it.

They should have left out the chicken. L😎L!

I have only seen home schooled children interact very well with adults, while dodging the spitballs being launched by their school taught peers. Besides, I don't think staring at a cell phone half the day makes for good social skills.

Getting back to the topic at hand, homeschooling is a choice that parents who feel they can manage how their children are receiving their elementary education. This includes bringing God in the center of their learning.

Personally, we didn't have homeschooling back in the 60s until the 1980s when I believe it was initiated within the Christian family.

But I benefited from public and private school because we still had God in the classroom, my parents never heard of critical race theory and I developed my social skills interacting with other children.

I don't feel I can say that about today's elementary schools.

But more often, kids are homeschooled because their parents feel they can give their child a better education than the local school can. Parents might favor homeschooling because they can bring God in the classroom which has declined in public schools.

Aw I public school.
Do you have a library in your home? Just wondering.
I wouldn't say children are doctrinated in anything in public schools, well the one I work in. Maybe its different in america, where they have to say pledges of allegience and worship a flag, as I have heard. We don't do that in NZ. We sing the national anthem, and have prayers. Our anthem is called 'God defend New Zealand', but doctrine isn't really taught, it's more reading, writing and spelling. A lot of our children are ESOL speakers so learning English they can't really do at home when their parents don't speak it or can't really read or write, having only up to primary education themselves.
My parents only had primary education so they couldn't have taught me beyond that.

I think homeschool is pretty cool if parents have the time, but it's not feasible for many, which is a shame. We only tend to have social problems with families that have an 'only child'. They are so used to having everything and don't understand the concept of sharing.
The other thing is divorced families or adopted family arrangements. I personally have experienced quite a few problems with children from broken homes acting out at school, but for many, school is a safe place and they would much rather be at school than at home.
Yes, it seems the school systems are very different. Public schools in the US are not Christian friendly. They teach secular beliefs as fact, promote sinful lifestyles as normal, and attempt to indoctrinate young children to accepting a social agenda that isn’t congruent with Christian beliefs.

We still say the pledge of allegiance in homeschool. I have no issue with supporting our country and feel blessed to be here. It’s the anti-Christian and political nonsense I want to prevent my children from being poisoned with.

Yes, it seems the school systems are very different. Public schools in the US are not Christian friendly. They teach secular beliefs as fact, promote sinful lifestyles as normal, and attempt to indoctrinate young children to accepting a social agenda that isn’t congruent with Christian beliefs.

We still say the pledge of allegiance in homeschool. I have no issue with supporting our country and feel blessed to be here. It’s the anti-Christian and political nonsense I want to prevent my children from being poisoned with.
That's a shame.
Most (though not all) schools in NZ are Christian friendly. Many teachers are christian.
There are even Christian schools both public and private, and Christian pre-schools, one just opened up this year near my school.

I do notice that many books from America for children are riddled with politics, and a lot of science books do subtly hold to Darwinism. When Darwinism gets into racial profiling and politics and eugenics, thats were it gets all ugly.

However primary schools here teach on an inquiry model, rather than an 'indoctrinate' children into a particular way of learning model. So its child/student centred rather teacher led. Students are encouraged to 'find out' or 'inquire' for themselves what is true and what isn't, and history is going to be taught in this fashion as well, from various sources not just one 'official' version. I have always learned in this way to question what is being taught or at the very least, ask questions, rather than accept things as fact just because a teacher has said so.

That's a shame.
Most (though not all) schools in NZ are Christian friendly. Many teachers are christian.
There are even Christian schools both public and private, and Christian pre-schools, one just opened up this year near my school.

I do notice that many books from America for children are riddled with politics, and a lot of science books do subtly hold to Darwinism. When Darwinism gets into racial profiling and politics and eugenics, thats were it gets all ugly.

However primary schools here teach on an inquiry model, rather than an 'indoctrinate' children into a particular way of learning model. So its child/student centred rather teacher led. Students are encouraged to 'find out' or 'inquire' for themselves what is true and what isn't, and history is going to be taught in this fashion as well, from various sources not just one 'official' version. I have always learned in this way to question what is being taught or at the very least, ask questions, rather than accept things as fact just because a teacher has said so.

That's wonderful to hear. Schools in the US have not been like that since before I remember. It is possible to go to private school here that teaches Christian values, but I have no experience with that to know how much better or different it is. Private schools can be quite expensive though.

I do remember junior high being a somewhat dangerous place even when I went to school. Spit wads and pins placed on chairs are nothing compared to propelling these wads of paper with rubber bands laced with needles and other things that came to hand. One individual I can remember made music class a nightmare. I have no idea what kids endure in the classroom now though, but some children can be quite cruel.

Learning to socialize is important, but I remember it often came with hardship. Those who could afford better clothes, were athletic, or popular in some other way often looked down on those that didn't have these advantages. Learning to have a thick skin was a necessary defense. I remember also having few friends because my clothes were second hand, I had broken my legs and walked a little different, didn't have money for a school lunch so it was brown bagged. Couldn't afford a lunch box which was all the more reason to be laughed at.

I thank God that what we had was precious to us. We had neighborhood friends, lots of family and a great deal of land to explore. Sometimes I enjoyed doing things with others and sometimes it was great to explore on my own.

So, I think it is possible to learn to socialize in a homeschool setting and in a public setting. There can be advantages and disadvantages in both. I thank God that many more people today have that choice.

That's a shame.

That sounds incredible! I had no idea NZ was so Christian friendly.

What you describe from the inquiry model is originally how universities were designed here in the states. K-12 was intended to teach facts and skills such as reading and writing and college was where you were to begin thinking for yourself. That has now changed to where it is all indoctrination to a particular political ideology.

Public schools here are no longer allowed to mention Christmas, children have been suspended for praying on campus even during their own time, teachers have mocked children for bringing their bibles to school, Christian-themed clubs and organizations are banned as being “discriminatory”, and if you dare question what the teacher is telling you, you get disciplined. And that’s just at the K-12 level. Universities are even worse with the scorn and disdain the schools and students alike shell out on Christians.

As mentioned, we have private Christian schools but they’re expensive and, unfortunately, I have noticed many of the students are not Christian at all. I think some are sent there by parents for behavioral reasons in the hopes that a Christian private school might help straighten them out and other students just don’t believe anymore. I went to a quality Christian university and literally 80-90% of the students were openly not Christian at all. They were there simply because of the school’s reputation.

It’s really shocking to see what has happened to this country and its Christian roots. They’ve been totally obliterated but we should take comfort in knowing Jesus cautioned us that we would face ridicule and persecution for our faith so even this is all part of God’s plan and design. But it still makes it difficult to navigate raising children as Christians in a society like this.

That sounds terrible
In high school we had christian fellowship groups during lunchtime. Religion wasn't taught as a subject, but if you wanted to do an inquiry/research topic on it you were welcome, nobody would have stopped you.

At university christian groups were a presence and active. Many christians would join groups like 'Student life' in their own time and learn how to be christian while balancing study.
However the theology courses etc were not necessarily christian based, as anyone could teach them, even unbelievers.

Catholic schools often had a reputation for being 'better' or more resourced, but many of the children that go are not catholic or even practising. However in catholic schools there is indoctrination of a certain kind, into their way of interpreting the Bible, and reverencing the Pope etc, which is why Bibles in Schools, and entirely voluntary organisation, never was invited to teach in catholic schools.

I did Bibles in schools which is taught in primary schools once a week, its available in a lot of schools, depending on Principal and board of trustees whether they want it or not. Children can opt out. I think they have changed it to opt in now though.
Bibles in schools teachers are all volunteers and christians (non christians would not teach it).

For many children it is the highlight of their week. We also gave out free bibles. I remember receiving a Gideons in high school. I think children benefit from prayer and knowing they can contact God when times are tough, as it can get in the school yard. Growing up is hard without God.

I think we do have concerns when there aren't enough or any Christians on the Board of Trustees in schools, or PTA, or in the teacher's unions.
And often it just takes one angry parent, with a power trip, to stop Bibles in Schools in one school, (even if its only their child they don't want to attend it, and opting out has ALWAYS been an option) and then try to ban it nationwide.
This even went to court.

Thankfully Bibles in Schools won, but we have these struggles too. We don't always assume its always going to be there. Satan wants to have his way but we need to make a stand. If we don't, I suppose it will go the way of USA public schooling.

Back