We homeschool our kids and it’s….

When I tried to have a Bibles in libraries meeting, while I was working IN public libraries, my boss wouldn't allow it, but I could have it on my day off. And there is nothing to stop Christians from meeting in groups in the library and offering after school programs, Bible readings, etc.

Was just thinking how some schools are running out of space or overcrowded, so if you CAN homeschool your children (especially if you have a large family) it might ease the pressure on some classes by just not having YOUR kids in shared classes with other children.

Teacher-student ratios are usually 1 to 30 at most.

Teachers tell me it's much easier with less as they get to spend more time teaching with each.
When there were lockdowns and half of the children couldn't come the ones that did go to school actually liked school much better!

I also agree with home schooling if it is an option. Although we know home schooling is no christian success guarantee. God is sovereign and he works as he pleases. We homeschooled until we moved to the country were the local school appeared alright.
Our kids did excellent and were role models 'thanks to the Lord'. My name has never amounted to anything but now I am so and so's dad - lol.
I am for home schooling but who knows the ways of the Lord...

If you are willing to teach for free and can afford it then why not.

I personally would probably prefer it if more Christians actually became school teachers and taught children OTHER than their own family though.

I also agree with home schooling if it is an option. Although we know home schooling is no christian success guarantee. God is sovereign and he works as he pleases. We homeschooled until we moved to the country were the local school appeared alright.
Our kids did excellent and were role models 'thanks to the Lord'. My name has never amounted to anything but now I am so and so's dad - lol.
I am for home schooling but who knows the ways of the Lord...

If you are willing to teach for free and can afford it then why not.

I personally would probably prefer it if more Christians actually became school teachers and taught children OTHER than their own family though.

Hello 2404;

I agree with the no Christian success guarantee. In my experience churches tend to shelter their children by keeping them busy with homeschooling, children's and youth ministry activities and not exposing them enough to the world. I have been guilty of that myself.

By the time many of these children become adults they leave the church and some have never gone back.

This doesn't mean this is the case with all Christian families because many have gone on to establish their foundation of Christ in their family, work and ministry.

I admire parents who get certified and teach homeschooling to their children but doesn't this keep them from developing people skills and interact with others?

Lanolin,
right now Christian schools have a shortage of school teachers because of a primary reason, low pay, benefits and constant budget challenges within the school. We do need teachers in Christian school because the students learn to interact with others.

Hello 2404;

I agree with the no Christian success guarantee. In my experience churches tend to shelter their children by keeping them busy with homeschooling, children's and youth ministry activities and not exposing them enough to the world. I have been guilty of that myself.

By the time many of these children become adults they leave the church and some have never gone back.

This doesn't mean this is the case with all Christian families because many have gone on to establish their foundation of Christ in their family, work and ministry.

I admire parents who get certified and teach homeschooling to their children but doesn't this keep them from developing people skills and interact with others?

Lanolin,
right now Christian schools have a shortage of school teachers because of a primary reason, low pay, benefits and constant budget challenges within the school. We do need teachers in Christian school because the students learn to interact with others.
Developing social/leadership skills.
I believe there is truth to what you say. Public schools do provide the environment for development of skills which would otherwise 'may' lay dormant. But who is to say, there are examples in both directions - more to the negative than otherwise. I'm sure you will agree that the best we can do is commit our ways to the Lord and He will look after things...
I appreciate reading your material and hope to meet you some day when all things will be made plain and we can stand in awe.

Developing social/leadership skills.
I believe there is truth to what you say. Public schools do provide the environment for development of skills which would otherwise 'may' lay dormant. But who is to say, there are examples in both directions - more to the negative than otherwise. I'm sure you will agree that the best we can do is commit our ways to the Lord and He will look after things...
I appreciate reading your material and hope to meet you some day when all things will be made plain and we can stand in awe.

Hello 2404;

Thank you for replying and I agree with what you just shared. I also come with questions and feel these conversations looking at both sides are productive and benefit all who pray the best for our children.

God bless you, brother, and your whole family.

We did church school zoom with homeschooling last year, and will do completely homeschooling this year if there is no zoom option due to the Delta variant . We will probably find a homeschool co-op to join. I love homeschooling my kids, they like school, but if we have to do it due to co-vid then they will be just fine.

We did church school zoom with homeschooling last year, and will do completely homeschooling this year if there is no zoom option due to the Delta variant . We will probably find a homeschool co-op to join. I love homeschooling my kids, they like school, but if we have to do it due to co-vid then they will be just fine.

Would you homeschool other people's kids? Or just your own. Just wondering. Some kids don't really have homes, or they are broken.

Something that was not brought up in this topic but is a factor. Cost. We are praying for our 4 year old niece who will attend pre-school next year. It's incredible how much pre-school costs.

I would assume homeschool is cost effective and open for "4 year olds" besides above? Is there a central curriculum used for a Christian or private homeschool, or does the teacher come up with their own teaching tools that will meet the standards of the state or government?

Every state is different on their homeschool requirements but most don't require any sort of records or formal curriculum until age 6. There are many curriculums out there; parents are able to choose what they want. I did my own things for my pre-school age children as they were not formally in a pre-K program. For my 1st grader this year in our state, we have to do a certain number of hours for the year and keep records of the subjects we taught and curriculum/books used.

I thought most parents would stay home with their children until they are old enough to go to school anyway.
Don't even call that homeschool just call it being a parent!

Something that was not brought up in this topic but is a factor. Cost. We are praying for our 4 year old niece who will attend pre-school next year. It's incredible how much pre-school costs.

I would assume homeschool is cost effective and open for "4 year olds" besides above? Is there a central curriculum used for a Christian or private homeschool, or does the teacher come up with their own teaching tools that will meet the standards of the state or government?
I’m in California and we signed up for homeschool through a private Christian K-12 school. They have a separate homeschool track that costs $500/year not including the curriculum cost. The parents choose the curriculum (there are curriculum packages you can buy from companies for around $800) and the school takes care of all of our record keeping and standardized testing. We score individual assignments and tests but the legally required grade reporting is taken care of by the school. In addition, the transcripts don’t say anything about homeschool so it will appear to universities and such that the kids were taught at a private Christian school and avoid the homeschool stigma.

I would recommend reaching out to any local private schools to see if they offer a similar program. It really helps alleviate some of the stress and pressure.

I’m in California and we signed up for homeschool through a private Christian K-12 school. They have a separate homeschool track that costs $500/year not including the curriculum cost. The parents choose the curriculum (there are curriculum packages you can buy from companies for around $800) and the school takes care of all of our record keeping and standardized testing. We score individual assignments and tests but the legally required grade reporting is taken care of by the school. In addition, the transcripts don’t say anything about homeschool so it will appear to universities and such that the kids were taught at a private Christian school and avoid the homeschool stigma.

I would recommend reaching out to any local private schools to see if they offer a similar program. It really helps alleviate some of the stress and pressure.

Hello Skipper;

Good to hear from you again. Thank you and everyone for the info. I'll prayerfully pass this info to the parents (my brother and sister in law) who reside with us so they can discuss.

God bless you, Skipper, and your family.

Ironically there is already alternative education set up for children who get kicked OUT of schools.
Mostly done via correspondence or online, or they have private tutors.

The rich always used to get governesses to homeschool their children. They didn't actually teach the children themselves, they just bought someone in to their homes. Like a nanny.

It wasn't too bad a gig if you got a good employer, but the life of a governess is not for everyone. Because the children aren't your own I guess and you are at the mercy of your employer.

Otherwise the rich got sent off the boarding schools, where, even if they paid a lot of money the schools often skimped on education for children. Especially if your child was a girl they were often not taught as high as the boys were, and only certain subjects. Your child could get a scholarship though if you couldn't afford it, but scholarship children always stood out from the rest in subtle ways.

Parents can only teach their children so much, most mums and dads that haven't made it past primary school or graduated high school cannot teach their children higher subjects.

Here, many parents don't even read to their children at all. TV and videogames are the babysitter.

I think if parents are truly concerned and not just for their own children, they would get involved in the PTA or encourage more christians to become teachers, for benefit of everyone. Its so easy to just do it for your own flesh and blood and not care about anybody else. But the gospel isn't just for your offspring.

We got our curriculum and plan to start in Sept.! I'll post a picture of our homeschool set up when we get it set up!
Good for you and your family. Homeschooling is one of the most rewarding ventures one can do, especially these days.

2 Corinthians 12:14b NKJV
[14b] For the children ought not to lay up for the parents, but the parents for the children.

We chose Blossom and Root. We used the same for pre-K and K last year. It's secular but we talk about our beliefs all the time so it's not that hard to incorporate in all that we do anyway. We chose that one because it has a very fun hands on approach and I loved the deep diving we could do into the Science, Art, and Nature Studies. And I love the literature that goes along with it for Reading lessons.

Back