what dishes are the most popular in your country?

rtm3039

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Feb 5, 2019
Miami, FL
Hi Lanolin;
Thats sound so good! I love anything potatoes but regarding the meat pie, or the shepherds pie, they both sound delicious and kinda reminds me of a chicken pot pie which I also enjoy eating.

I love Pop Tarts! Thanks for the memory, Ray! If I remember wasn't one of the early flavors of Pop Tart "custard?" Later I they came out with the different flavors. While serving in the military, do you remember breakfasts in their countries? When Dad was stationed in Germany, as kids we visited a town in Holland and the hotels were all booked up so families in the community would open their home for the tourists. Our family stayed with a very nice Dutch family and for breakfast they served "soft boiled eggs" on a little egg holder. lol! it was my first time and was actually good!

God bless
you all!
My favorite Pop Task was blue berry, but I liked them cold..

Yes, I remember the egg in the little holder. Cut the top off and eat the center. Also remember the brutchen and the cold meats.

Ray

Sep 7, 2019
North Carolina
Of all the strange breakfast foods Ive had travelling, I recall the first time I had grits the most. The waitress laughed at me for asking what the white stuff was. I was an inquisitive kid, and she finally had to tell me they were made from corn.

Yanno what I just now remembered I forgot all about? Eating and staying at the Howard Johnson's, cause they were so family friendly.

Sep 7, 2019
North Carolina
Chocolate and tomato gravy are of southern origin, and served over biscuits. I find a tomato gravy gets too strange. Even with darker red stewed tomatoes, its not really a gravy unless you add enough flour. Then it just looks weird. I think a Mexican style red sauce tastes much better over eggs anyway.

Feb 10, 2015
Maryland
Aebleskivers!!!
A kind of spherical danish pancake (but I believe the Danish serve them as deserts). When I was young, my mom got intrigued with these. Bought the special pan, and served them to us for breakfast.

6122779.jpg

Reactions: AtomicSnowflake
Dec 19, 2014
New Zealand
www.literatelibrarian.com
I really like coconut buns. They are the best type of bread, even more than challah. I could happily eat that from breakfast rather than ordinary white toast that comes in a plastic bag and sliced up already for you. It just has no taste.

Nov 21, 2016
UK
First, how do you milk an almond? Second, what does "silky smooth" even taste like?

View attachment 4293
With regards to almond milk, my youngest son drinks it with his protein shakes. The other day I made tea (English tea) and the only milk left in the fridge was almond milk. Put it in my tea. Yuckety yuk yuk!!!

Nov 21, 2016
UK
Its not all that bad. I drink it all the time cause lactose has a way of creeping up on me.
I don't have a problem with lactose. But, trust me, when you want your morning cuppa, almond milk is not the way forward:sick: Perhaps what would be a good idea, is that my horrible sons didn't drink all the regular milk in the first place... Or, and here's a really novel idea, they went to the shops and replaced the regular milk. Pray for me, and my morning dilemma xxx

Nov 21, 2016
UK
I honestly don't know what our most popular dishes are in the UK. We eat so many diverse foods. And to be honest, the food that I ate when I was a kid really wasn't that great. At the moment the food that I make that goes down really well is, lasagne, chilli sausage casserole and pork dumplings. I'm actually really good at making Chinese pork dumplings! Also, steak and ale pie with a dumpling crust - really Winter food, it sticks to your ribs LOL

Sep 7, 2019
North Carolina
LOL!!! I usually have the same problem, but in the opposite. My daughter will use all my almond milk eating cereal, and leave the whole milk.
At 30 years old I know she is more than capable of driving to the store to get me more almond milk.

Steak and ale pie you say? Sounds yummy! I will have to google a recipe, and try making one sometime.

Nov 21, 2016
UK
LOL!!! I usually have the same problem, but in the opposite. My daughter will use all my almond milk eating cereal, and leave the whole milk.
At 30 years old I know she is more than capable of driving to the store to get me more almond milk.

Steak and ale pie you say? Sounds yummy! I will have to google a recipe, and try making one sometime.
If you want the recipe I have it but it's a long, laborious process. Yet delicious!!! (And everyone will love you for it) LOL

Sep 7, 2019
North Carolina
My daughters mother in law shared one with me from when they lived in London. Yes, any great recipe of any origin in a long and laborious process of love. Im sure those of us whom love to cook would enjoy yours very much :) My son in law has requested one for Sunday dinner.

Reactions: Annie