what dishes are the most popular in your country?

Hello everyone!
Every country is different and there are many factors that distinguish it. Cuisine is one of those things!
In country where I used to live (before I moved out to London) is famous for eg. dumplings, broth and cheescake. Can you guess what country is it?
What are the most popular dishes in your country?

Hello everyone!
Every country is different and there are many factors that distinguish it. Cuisine is one of those things!
In country where I used to live (before I moved out to London) is famous for eg. dumplings, broth and cheescake. Can you guess what country is it?
Oh wow I have just been watching anthony bourdains a cooks tour dvds and its so interesting to see all the different countries cuisines he sampled.

See if you can guess mine..famous for...hangi, bbq, whitebait fritters.
And dessert, which is claimed by two rival countries...pavlova.

Most popular...I would have to say fish and chips. Or roast lamb and potatoes and peas.

But my ancestors ..see if you can guess. Wontons, fried rice and peking duck.

The interesting thing about food in the USA is that because the country is so large, there are regional specialty foods that are not major foods in other locations.

Just a few examples would be: Lobster or clam chowder in New England, Soft shell crab in the states surrounding the Chesapeake Bay, Shrimp and Grits in the Southeast, Key Lime Pie in southern Florida, Southern Fried Chicken and sweet tea in the deep south, Steak and potatoes in the Upper Midwest - and so on. Lots of diversity in food preferences and while traveling, it is always refreshing to be able to sample these specialty items.

Greetings and Welcome Again,
Would this ring a bell? Szarlotka

Where I am from we have 2 desired dishes,
1. Clean
2. Full of food!!
Hey I never said I was sophisticated !!

Chicken - mashed potatoes or rice and green beans or corn.

Blessings
FCJ
Who kept the Cturtle

Don't 4get the walleye and Salmon LOL

I thought I would resurrect this entertaining thread, being I have lived in 11 states.

There is nothing like New York Pizza.
I had the best shrimp and black bean sauce ever in San Francisco.
When living in Nebraska I have to say Omaha Steaks.
Talk about some smooth moonshine, when in Iowa. I don't drink more than two these days.
In Florida I did love having fresh squeezed blood orange juice at the flea market.
Bojangles Chicken is a food group in North Carolina, along with barbecue, and collard greens.
Washington State definitely has fantastic fresh and abundant seafood. The sushi was amazing.
Everything really is is bigger and better in Texas, knowing I should never say anything else :)
Oklahoma for some reason had the best chicken fried steak, but I won't tell my daughter that.
Tennessee has Moon Pies like everywhere you look. Memphis style ribs are YUM!
Idaho might be known for its potatoes, but I did actually love the sturgeon caviar.

What do I think American's love the most in general? It would have to be a food that appeals to all ages, all ethnic groups,
all restrictive diets, and all regions. It can be made gluten free, sugar free, fat free, lactose free, and with just about any ingredient.

Ice Cream

Last edited:
I don't know if I would say it's a popular food in the the USA... but in the region I am from, (southern USA), I have to mention homemade banana pudding. Cooked from scratch, with real "Nilla Wafers", and it absolutely must have a meringue topping! (NOT whipped cream!)

We had Sals pizza here which imports everything from the US and says its authentic NYC pizza.
I think its nice but the service was really slow we waited over an hour for the pizza as they mucked up our order...so sadly not going back...and its really really expensive.

Hello everyone!
In this country (US), this is almost an impossible question to answer. I live in Miami, FL. This place is heavy in Latin American and Caribbean people and food. Drive a little north and it's like living in Georgia. Me, I am Cuban by birth, but not really into the traditional black beans, white rice, and pork. Sadly enough, I live minutes from the ocean and not all into sea good either. I guess I am just culinarily confused, because I am all into pasta.

In the US the most popular food would it be...

Hotdogs
Hamburgers
Pancakes
Thanksgiving turkey with cranberry sauces
Southern Fried chicken
Pizza

These are the foods I think of when anyone mentions US. In nz a hot dog usually means a battered deep fried sausage on a stick, and american hotdog is a sausage, usually a frankfurter in a bread bun with mustard and ketchup. We call our ketchup 'tomato sauce. '

In nz another popular dish well not really a dish cos its more of a fast food is the meat pie.

My favourite is potato top pie, consisting of mince and mashed potato ...some people call it shepherds pie.
But mince and cheese is also a popular one
You can make all sorts of pies with different fillings. The thing is the crust has to be crisp and also a little chewy, and the filling as to be the correct amount of meat and gravy and needs to be hot. You eat with your hands and the wrapper is usually a paper bag.

Pancakes!

When we were kids, on Saturday mornings, Dad would whip the pancake mix and pour the batter in the grill pan. The three of us would watch the bubbles form and then flip the cake (usually me), another would put butter on them and one of us would do something else but I forgot. We ended up making about 10-15 pancakes, with eggs over medium, bacon and sausage.

Our Saturday morning breakfast was special because as kids ( I was 9) it was a time we bonded with Dad and each other. Then Mom would get up and when we sat at the dining table, one of us kids would say a prayer, and well, it was a time that I'll always remember.

I'm going down to San Diego for Christmas this year and while staying at my Dad's (he's 83) we'll go out and do the breakfast thing, but this time at iHop and family and relatives.

To this day the breakfast I described is still one of America's favorite.

God bless you all and your families.

You are so right Bobinfaith! Weekend breakfasts are special here in the U.S.

I remember the first time I brought my late fiance home to meet the family. Greek women tend to over do the feast part of break. I will never forget the look on his face when my mother screamed up the stairs for us all to come down to eat. I have such good memories of them both. My mom never knew what the words a little bit meant. She had cooked sausage, bacon, pancakes, eggs, and potatoes. She cut bagels, baked bread, muffins, and cake. She had a plate with different cheeses and olives (mostly for my dad). There was even a platter of fresh cut fruits. I asked her why she made so much food, and who was suppose to eat it all. Her usual response "I thought you might like a variety". Kinda made me mad cause she never did that for my husband when he was alive. It was "go cook your husband some breakfast". The first time going home to grandmas after my youngest was married my mom did the same thing to her. "Go cook your husband some breakfast", lol!!! I can laugh at the memories now. My mom did make some fantastic Greek dinners though. She always had to use the china, and us girls would end up having to clean everything.

..and we all love IHOP! (international house of pancakes- a restaurant chain that specializes in breakfast foods).

I like Ihop too. I came from a very dysfunctional family. We never had anything close to a family breakfast. People just got up and did what they did. With me, it was Pop Tarts. We did have family breakfasts , when I for married, on the weekends. Now, since we are no longer empty nesters, we do the weekend breakfast again. Pancakes do happen, as well as something my wife calls "sausage balls." They use to be made from sausage, but now it's turkey
"sausage" and that's about as disappointing as turkey "beacon." I don't even see cow milk any more. It's all that almond or soy junk, so I have to make special requests for cow milk once in a while.

Man, now all of a sudden I really want a glass of milk ... boo.

rtm3039

I like Ihop too. I came from a very dysfunctional family. We never had anything close to a family breakfast. People just got up and did what they did. With me, it was Pop Tarts. We did have family breakfasts , when I for married, on the weekends. Now, since we are no longer empty nesters, we do the weekend breakfast again. Pancakes do happen, as well as something my wife calls "sausage balls." They use to be made from sausage, but now it's turkey
"sausage" and that's about as disappointing as turkey "beacon." I don't even see cow milk any more. It's all that almond or soy junk, so I have to make special requests for cow milk once in a while.

Man, now all of a sudden I really want a glass of milk ... boo.

rtm3039

First, how do you milk an almond? Second, what does "silky smooth" even taste like?

milk.JPG

In nz another popular dish well not really a dish cos its more of a fast food is the meat pie. My favourite is potato top pie, consisting of mince and mashed potato ...some people call it shepherds pie.

Hi Lanolin;
Thats sound so good! I love anything potatoes but regarding the meat pie, or the shepherds pie, they both sound delicious and kinda reminds me of a chicken pot pie which I also enjoy eating.

You are so right Bobinfaith! Weekend breakfasts are special here in the U.S...and we all love IHOP! (international house of pancakes- a restaurant chain that specializes in breakfast foods).

Hey thenami;
IHop seems to be the one to go to here where we live. I don't know why but a few Denny's closed down which was my "office" for meeting people for coffee or a meal.
I like Ihop too. I came from a very dysfunctional family. We never had anything close to a family breakfast. People just got up and did what they did. With me, it was Pop Tarts. Man, now all of a sudden I really want a glass of milk ... boo.
rtm3039

I love Pop Tarts! Thanks for the memory, Ray! If I remember wasn't one of the early flavors of Pop Tart "custard?" Later I they came out with the different flavors. While serving in the military, do you remember breakfasts in their countries? When Dad was stationed in Germany, as kids we visited a town in Holland and the hotels were all booked up so families in the community would open their home for the tourists. Our family stayed with a very nice Dutch family and for breakfast they served "soft boiled eggs" on a little egg holder. lol! it was my first time and was actually good!

God bless
you all!

Hi Lanolin;
Thats sound so good! I love anything potatoes but regarding the meat pie, or the shepherds pie, they both sound delicious and kinda reminds me of a chicken pot pie which I also enjoy eating.

I love Pop Tarts! Thanks for the memory, Ray! If I remember wasn't one of the early flavors of Pop Tart "custard?" Later I they came out with the different flavors. While serving in the military, do you remember breakfasts in their countries? When Dad was stationed in Germany, as kids we visited a town in Holland and the hotels were all booked up so families in the community would open their home for the tourists. Our family stayed with a very nice Dutch family and for breakfast they served "soft boiled eggs" on a little egg holder. lol! it was my first time and was actually good!

God bless
you all!
My favorite Pop Task was blue berry, but I liked them cold..

Yes, I remember the egg in the little holder. Cut the top off and eat the center. Also remember the brutchen and the cold meats.

Ray

Aebleskivers!!!
A kind of spherical danish pancake (but I believe the Danish serve them as deserts). When I was young, my mom got intrigued with these. Bought the special pan, and served them to us for breakfast.

6122779.jpg

Back