What is the real value of scripture?

God bless you CBzone

I agree with everything you just said but singled this part out for more discussion, as this is the nexus of our disagreement. Not that we disagree to tangible position regarding anything but regarding what is unknown.

Can you if possible without going to any other subject matter define with specificity "what are corrupted texts" and "uncorrupted texts" in context to "manuscripts that are used for "English translations?"

For new testament translations are "comprised" and "translated" from countless manuscripts (24,000 available for the New Testament). Which manuscripts do you claim is corrupted and which manuscripts do you claim are uncorrupted? Also which languages or one language will you acknowledge? For example the original New Testament writings in Greek have deteriorated to dust, thus we now have 24,000 manuscripts that are available to "translate from." Thus we have Greek, Latin, Coptic, Syriac, Armenian, Georgian, Gothic? For the New Testament, will you choose Greek only? Then you can narrow your selection down to 5,000 plus manuscripts. Which ones do you rule out, which ones do you accept?

I propose as an example, that you will find a plethora of textual variations with them all, not knowing if "Jesus went, walked or travelled" often times by exact word to a given city, but would with boldness testify that Christ did in fact "go to a certain city" since over 15 thousand manuscripts in history can testify that He did in fact go to a certain city. Manuscripts are accurate to track where Christ went, record what He said regarding truth and principles, yet every syllable in the King James or another translation may not be regarded always as accurate.

Did Christ die for our sins? Yes
Is He the Son of God? Yes
Is the covenant of salvation offered to you and me so that we might obtain life eternal? Yes

Truth emerges from the thousands of manuscripts because they "testify in common" with accuracy many things that happened.

Thus what corrupted texts are you referring too? Please be specific so that I might benefit from your contribution my friend

We are drifting from the subject and point of my contention. The importance and value of the scriptures. Though your point is profitable for any one not a babe in Christ .I cannot touch it here.
The ones who seem almost dismissive of scripture as any reliable or indeed the foundation of coming to any true knowledge of God are upholding but the same errors of those who held to the idea that their traditions were a far better authority than the scriptures . They were wrong then at the reformation and proved to be so by biblical argument and by their own actions and reactions to the truth. As those who hold to the same error today . For the same reasons .Which I have but faintly echoed.

Thus by such errors being now readily accepted by many in the church today on the one hand and on the other by another group who believe that if they know Greek and Hebrew then it is they who are qualified to understand the scriptures. This too is an old error .

There are some very good books you can obtain in any good Bible book shop as to corrupt and uncorrupted texts .
As also a history of the Bible in relation to them of one or the other .

If the Jews can copy and keep accurate texts of the Old Testament for 4000 years &-(?).Then cannot the same God enable the gentiles to keep and copy accurate copies of the new testament as well?
I do not intend to reduce the argument to a personal and subjective 'point of view' and by so doing keep God out of the argument as it were .

In one Gospel Jesus was "DRIVEN into the wilderness " In another he was LED into the wilderness" Let us not confuse corrupted texts with different accurate renditions of the gospel s. For both renditions are true .For the Holy Spirit does and can both DRIVE AND LEAD .

in Christ
gerald

Back